[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 95730 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread
« Reply #2775 on: February 27, 2024, 12:18:12 PM »
So Peter King announced his retirement yesterday. At one point up until a decade or so ago, his MMQB article was one I eagerly anticipated reading at the beginning of each week. It feels like this is a bit of an end of an era, where regular, long-form columns still seemed to have a place - or at least a more prominent place than they do now.

In his final column he says the Bears should keep Fields and trade down twice. They could end up with 9 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next two years. That’s been my position all along.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2776 on: February 27, 2024, 01:06:13 PM »
In his final column he says the Bears should keep Fields and trade down twice. They could end up with 9 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next two years. That’s been my position all along.

As a Packer fan, I agree. Please keep Fields!!

Fields will win about as many Playoff games as Kirk Cousins has (although he won't be near as good of a QB). He will also be given a huge unearned contract. Hopefully for at least 5 years (again, only saying that cuz I'm a GB fan).

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2777 on: February 27, 2024, 01:10:18 PM »

Fields will win about as many Playoff games as Kirk Cousins has (although he won't be near as good of a QB). He will also be given a huge unearned contract. Hopefully for at least 5 years (again, only saying that cuz I'm a GB fan).

It doesn’t matter.  Bears will always suck.  Garbage organization.  Embarrassment to the league
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2778 on: February 27, 2024, 04:34:06 PM »

Jockey

You don’t have to give Fields the big guaranteed contract for 2 more years. If he doesn’t get it done next year, use one of your 3 1st rounders in 2025 to take a QB. If you’re still on the fence after next year, franchise him. It’s not like this year is their only chance to get a QB.

Of course, if they think Caleb Williams is head and shoulders above the field and possibly a “generational” talent, you take him. But if not,  those extra high draft choices can help build a really solid team around whoever the QB is. I haven’t seen greatness in Williams but I confess a) I haven’t seen him that much and b) I’m no expert.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 05:52:50 PM by Lennys Tap »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2779 on: February 27, 2024, 07:00:43 PM »
You don't have to keep Fields for 2 more years, Lenny, but if you're gonna keep him to start for you in 2024, you have to pick up his 2025 option at $25.6M. Then, if he sucks next season, good luck trading a bad, $25.6 million QB. Or maybe you just dump him and eat the $25.6M.

Anyway, reading between the lines of what Poles said, Fields is unlikely to be a Bear for too much longer. For better or worse.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2780 on: February 27, 2024, 08:10:51 PM »
Jockey

You don’t have to give Fields the big guaranteed contract for 2 more years. If he doesn’t get it done next year, use one of your 3 1st rounders in 2025 to take a QB. If you’re still on the fence after next year, franchise him. It’s not like this year is their only chance to get a QB.

Of course, if they think Caleb Williams is head and shoulders above the field and possibly a “generational” talent, you take him. But if not,  those extra high draft choices can help build a really solid team around whoever the QB is. I haven’t seen greatness in Williams but I confess a) I haven’t seen him that much and b) I’m no expert.

I don’t think we are disagreeing much.

I understand being able to build a team with lots of early draft picks, but a great QB  is worth multiple first round picks.

I think SF is a good example - best roster in the NFL, easily. They are missing one piece, though. A QB to put them over the top

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2781 on: February 27, 2024, 08:30:39 PM »
I don’t think we are disagreeing much.

I understand being able to build a team with lots of early draft picks, but a great QB  is worth multiple first round picks.

I think SF is a good example - best roster in the NFL, easily. They are missing one piece, though. A QB to put them over the top

Yep

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2782 on: February 27, 2024, 08:35:19 PM »
You don't have to keep Fields for 2 more years, Lenny, but if you're gonna keep him to start for you in 2024, you have to pick up his 2025 option at $25.6M. Then, if he sucks next season, good luck trading a bad, $25.6 million QB. Or maybe you just dump him and eat the $25.6M.

Anyway, reading between the lines of what Poles said, Fields is unlikely to be a Bear for too much longer. For better or worse.

25.6M is a consideration, it’s one of the components of your final decision. But (especially given the new boost to the cap), one year of it wouldn’t hamstring the Bears all that much.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2783 on: February 27, 2024, 10:17:44 PM »
25.6M is a consideration, it’s one of the components of your final decision. But (especially given the new boost to the cap), one year of it wouldn’t hamstring the Bears all that much.

That's probably true.

And I agree with your premise: If you think Caleb Williams is your 10+ year QB solution, you don't mess around. You trade Fields and you draft Williams. It's a no-brainer. But if you have doubts about Williams - and especially if you love the potential of Maye or Daniels and you only have to trade back to 2 or 3 - you could and should do that. Or just keep Fields and roll the dice.

I don't see many Bears games these days. But what I have seen from when they've been on national TV and in the highlights, Fields is not the long-term answer. But hell ... I had never even heard of Brock Purdy.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2784 on: February 28, 2024, 07:49:13 AM »
I can completely follow the logic of keeping Fields. I don't understand the arguments to draft a QB and keep Fields. I think Justin's trade value is very high (based upon his production) due to his age and cap friendly contract. If the Bears are not sold on him to the point of taking a new QB, then now is the best time to get the best return on his trade.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2785 on: February 28, 2024, 09:31:33 AM »
That's probably true.

And I agree with your premise: If you think Caleb Williams is your 10+ year QB solution, you don't mess around. You trade Fields and you draft Williams. It's a no-brainer. But if you have doubts about Williams - and especially if you love the potential of Maye or Daniels and you only have to trade back to 2 or 3 - you could and should do that. Or just keep Fields and roll the dice.

I don't see many Bears games these days. But what I have seen from when they've been on national TV and in the highlights, Fields is not the long-term answer. But hell ... I had never even heard of Brock Purdy.

Brock Purdy isn't the long term answer either.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2786 on: February 28, 2024, 11:02:18 AM »
Brock Purdy isn't the long term answer either.

You're probably right ... though he's been purdy good.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2787 on: February 28, 2024, 11:30:55 AM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2788 on: February 28, 2024, 11:40:05 AM »
The NFLPA report card is out.

https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards-2024

These are just so funny. The Chargers offer daycare for families, but it is off-site and the players have to pay.

Half the Bengals showers and locker room toilets don't work.

The Chiefs locker room stinks. The owners said they would upgrade it - then just never got around to it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2789 on: February 28, 2024, 11:59:41 AM »
These are just so funny. The Chargers offer daycare for families, but it is off-site and the players have to pay.

The Chiefs locker room stinks. The owners said they would upgrade it - then just never got around to it.

Or a majority of Patriots players think their weight room is worse than what they could find off-site.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2790 on: February 28, 2024, 12:11:06 PM »
In a stunner, David Tepper gets a D.

He's willing to pay millions for coaches he cycles through like boxer shorts, but he isn't willing to let the Panthers play on natural grass ... because artificial turf is cheaper.

That's in addition to his meddling and his general dopiness.

I had big hopes for this guy, but it's impossible to call his ownership anything other than an abject failure so far. D actually seems a little high to me.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2791 on: February 28, 2024, 12:29:12 PM »

The Bengals with the most unsurprising reports yet again.  Imagine a professional sports team in 2024 that doesn’t employ a dietician. There are prep schools that have a dietician for their sports teams.  And they don’t regularly feed their players.

Mike Brown really is a miserable POS.  Lives like a skinflint and expects his organization to do so as well.  I think Bengals fans yearn for his passing even more than the Bears do with OL’ Ginny

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2792 on: February 28, 2024, 12:31:10 PM »
The Bengals with the most unsurprising reports yet again. Imagine a professional sports team in 2024 that doesn’t employ a dietician. There are prep schools that have a dietician for their sports teams.  And they don’t regularly feed their players.

Mike Brown really is a miserable POS.  Lives like a skinflint and expects his organization to do so as well.  I think Bengals fans yearn for his passing even more than the Bears do with OL’ Ginny

Why are you bringing the white Sox into the conversation about football?  :)

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2793 on: February 28, 2024, 12:34:18 PM »
I can completely follow the logic of keeping Fields. I don't understand the arguments to draft a QB and keep Fields. I think Justin's trade value is very high (based upon his production) due to his age and cap friendly contract. If the Bears are not sold on him to the point of taking a new QB, then now is the best time to get the best return on his trade.

Why would a lower level QB who is not even in the top 50% of starting QBs have a trade value that is 'very high'?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2794 on: February 28, 2024, 12:38:46 PM »

I was surprised by their level of dislike (there may be a better word for it) for MLF. They ranked in the top 50% in every category except Head Coach.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2795 on: February 28, 2024, 12:41:14 PM »
Why would a lower level QB who is not even in the top 50% of starting QBs have a trade value that is 'very high'?

What’s the market for Fields?  Everyone knows the Bears have to trade him.  Unless they get multiple teams bidding, the return will be minimal

• All American
« Reply #2796 on: February 28, 2024, 12:48:07 PM »
Yeah, I don't why White Trash keeps coming back to this. His production isn't very good, and his contract is cap friendly next year, but isn't going to be moving forward IF he turns out better once he has a change of scenery.

I would guess a third round pick at best.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #2797 on: February 28, 2024, 12:49:50 PM »
I was surprised by their level of dislike (there may be a better word for it) for MLF. They ranked in the top 50% in every category except Head Coach.

And he still got a B+. Apparently its because he doesn't listen to the locker room, which could be bad. Or it could be because of the Jaire stuff. Or maybe the defensive players weren't happy with their coordinator.

Who knows.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2798 on: February 28, 2024, 12:53:20 PM »
Yeah, I don't why White Trash keeps coming back to this. His production isn't very good, and his contract is cap friendly next year, but isn't going to be moving forward IF he turns out better once he has a change of scenery.

I would guess a third round pick at best.

Bears have no leverage unless they create a market.

Plus, they’re a terrible franchise.  They don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2799 on: February 28, 2024, 01:24:12 PM »
The NFLPA report card is out.

https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards-2024

Oh my Tampa Bay

Younger players must have roommates on work travel, unless they pay the team more than $1,750 for their own room each season. They do have a daycare room on gamedays, but charge players’ families $90 per child, which most other teams offer for free.