[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 95636 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread
« Reply #2725 on: February 07, 2024, 05:50:19 PM »
I have no idea what this even means.

It means 7 wins is a lot for a team picking #1.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2726 on: February 07, 2024, 07:14:54 PM »
Y'all are welcome!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2727 on: February 08, 2024, 11:07:22 AM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2728 on: February 08, 2024, 12:31:42 PM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2729 on: February 08, 2024, 01:02:20 PM »
Miller is such a ghoul.

He can’t throw babies in cages anymore, so why not go after blacks.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2730 on: February 08, 2024, 02:00:18 PM »
MAGA has come after the Rooney Rule.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/rooney-rule-placed-under-legal-171136325.html

The irony is it wouldn't change anything.  The Rooney Rule has shown to be performative and mostly ineffective.  I'd be willing to bet the Rooney Rule hasn't actually lead to any minority coaches being hired.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2731 on: February 08, 2024, 02:42:53 PM »
The irony is it wouldn't change anything.  The Rooney Rule has shown to be performative and mostly ineffective.  I'd be willing to bet the Rooney Rule hasn't actually lead to any minority coaches being hired.

Mike Tomlin.
Russ Grimm was a near lock for the job after Cowher retired, but Tomlin blew away the Rooneys (coincidentally) in the interview. Can't know for sure, but a guy who had only been an NFL coordinator for one year (and for a 6-10 team) might not have had a shot at that interview without the rule.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2732 on: February 08, 2024, 03:02:17 PM »
Mike Tomlin.
Russ Grimm was a near lock for the job after Cowher retired, but Tomlin blew away the Rooneys (coincidentally) in the interview. Can't know for sure, but a guy who had only been an NFL coordinator for one year (and for a 6-10 team) might not have had a shot at that interview without the rule.

I thought Tomlin was a pretty hot commodity even with little experience. I thought his job with Tampa put him on the map.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2733 on: February 08, 2024, 03:11:58 PM »
Black coaches who have been brought in to interview due to the Rooney Rule have talked about the experience helping them in future situations. So even if they don't directly get hired in a cycle, the process still helped. Without the Rooney Rule, they wouldn't have even gotten that much.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2734 on: February 08, 2024, 09:53:56 PM »
Ray Lewis introducing the In Memoriam segment and Prince Harry introducing the Payton Man of the Year award are…interesting decisions.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2735 on: February 09, 2024, 11:27:49 AM »
I thought Tomlin was a pretty hot commodity even with little experience. I thought his job with Tampa put him on the map.

Best as I can find, Tomlin had one other HC interview before the Steelers hired him.
Regardless, it was widely believed that Grimm had the job sewn up ... so much so that Grimm later claimed the Rooneys told him the job was his and the local newspaper did a front-page story reporting that he would soon be announced as HC.
But for the rule, the Steelers may never have bothered to interview outside candidates.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2736 on: February 14, 2024, 03:33:40 PM »
Apparently Steve Wilks was to blame for the Niners' loss.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2737 on: February 14, 2024, 05:35:15 PM »
Apparently Steve Wilks was to blame for the Niners' loss.

Shanahan always gets a pass.

Hard to outscore anyone with 5 Pro Bowlers on offense PLUS Deebo and Aiyuk

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2738 on: February 14, 2024, 07:59:29 PM »
They need an average QB. Your talent around the QB and great scheme can win you a lot of games. But it’ll get exposed in the Playoffs.

Quite honestly, the Super Bowl is the game they probably SHOULD have won with how they played. They should have lost to both the Packers and the Lions.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2739 on: February 14, 2024, 10:08:02 PM »
Shanahan always gets a pass.

Hard to outscore anyone with 5 Pro Bowlers on offense PLUS Deebo and Aiyuk

Shanahan was never going to get fired, nor should it even be in consideration.  He hasn't won a Super Bowl, and that looks bad for sure, but in the last 5 years, he has 2 SB berths and 2 NFCG appearances while going 54-29 (which includes a 6-10 season).  That's an insane consistency considering he's never had even an above average QB.

If there was a change to make it was probably there.  Took over the best scoring defense in the NFL last year that was stingy in the playoffs before the Eagles went crazy.  Had a good regular season but then gave up 26 PPG in the playoffs including a TON of big plays.  Yea the offense has 5 Pro Bowlers, but the defense has 4, plus guys like Chase Young, Greenlaw, and Armstead.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2740 on: February 14, 2024, 10:50:42 PM »
Yes. Underperformers on both sides of the ball. I’m still not convinced they are better than GB or Detroit.

I agree on Purdy. Love and Goff are far better.

But I wasn’t calling for Shanahan to be fired. Just saying he gets a pass. Others take the fall.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2743 on: February 15, 2024, 10:57:02 AM »
Yes. Underperformers on both sides of the ball. I’m still not convinced they are better than GB or Detroit.

I agree on Purdy. Love and Goff are far better.

But I wasn’t calling for Shanahan to be fired. Just saying he gets a pass. Others take the fall.

Yea, I don't think he gets a pass, people take shots at him constantly.  I think some fault definitely falls on him for bringing in a DC that didn't fit their personnel all that well.  Honestly the similarities between him and early career Andy Reid are pretty compelling.  Reid was doing it with a Pro Bowl caliber QB though.

I get the Niners FO wanted a fall guy, but I don't know who else they would have canned.  Maybe Kubiak, but then he left and got the Saints OC job.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2744 on: February 15, 2024, 11:30:18 AM »
Yea, I don't think he gets a pass, people take shots at him constantly.  I think some fault definitely falls on him for bringing in a DC that didn't fit their personnel all that well.  Honestly the similarities between him and early career Andy Reid are pretty compelling.  Reid was doing it with a Pro Bowl caliber QB though.

I get the Niners FO wanted a fall guy, but I don't know who else they would have canned.  Maybe Kubiak, but then he left and got the Saints OC job.
You don't think Purdy had a probowl caliber season?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2745 on: February 15, 2024, 11:42:02 AM »
You don't think Purdy had a probowl caliber season?

He did. But a single Pro Bowl IMO doesn't mean all that much. I mean, Marc Bulger made a Pro Bowl.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2746 on: February 15, 2024, 01:16:59 PM »
He did. But a single Pro Bowl IMO doesn't mean all that much. I mean, Marc Bulger made a Pro Bowl.

This is true, but Purdy is also 24 years old and in his second season, first as a full-time starter. Maybe is career flatlines from here, but there's plenty of reason to believe he continues to get better. Unlikely he ever becomes "elite," but barring injury I would be surprised if he doesn't have multiple Pro Bowls by the time he's finished and carves out a Matt Ryan-ish career.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2747 on: February 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM »
This is true, but Purdy is also 24 years old and in his second season, first as a full-time starter. Maybe is career flatlines from here, but there's plenty of reason to believe he continues to get better. Unlikely he ever becomes "elite," but barring injury I would be surprised if he doesn't have multiple Pro Bowls by the time he's finished and carves out a Matt Ryan-ish career.

I mean, Matt Ryan won an MVP and was sneakily one of the most underrated QBs of the last decade.  I would be shocked if Purdy ends up a regular top 6-8 QB in the league, which is what I think of when I say Pro Bowl caliber, not just making a Pro Bowl.

Looking at QBs in the mid 20s (24-27 range) for guys in the next 6-8 years, I think he's definitely behind Allen, Burrow, Lamar, Hurts, Stroud, Herbert, and probably Tua.  So that puts him in a bucket with Kyler, Levis, Love, and Lawrence as wait and sees.  You could be right, I just don't see it yet.  He majorly overperformed, but I think that was largely due to system and talent around him and got exposed a lot later on.  I'd be STUNNED if he was putting up similar numbers next year with the tape that people have on him now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2748 on: February 15, 2024, 02:00:36 PM »
I mean, Matt Ryan won an MVP and was sneakily one of the most underrated QBs of the last decade.
 I would be shocked if Purdy ends up a regular top 6-8 QB in the league, which is what I think of when I say Pro Bowl caliber, not just making a Pro Bowl.

Rich Gannon, Cam Newton, Boomer Esaison and Steve McNair also won MVPs.
Not sure that makes them elite QBs. Just means they had an elite season.
I would be shocked to learn that anyone believed Matt Ryan was regularly a top 6 to 8 over his career. He was a Pro Bowler four times in 14 seasons. All Pro just once. He was top 10 in passer rating four times in 14 seasons.
Strikes me more like a good QB who had one magical season, a la Gannon or Newton or Boomer.

Looking at QBs in the mid 20s (24-27 range) for guys in the next 6-8 years, I think he's definitely behind Allen, Burrow, Lamar, Hurts, Stroud, Herbert, and probably Tua.  So that puts him in a bucket with Kyler, Levis, Love, and Lawrence as wait and sees.

If you're suggesting Purdy, Kyler and Levis all belong in the same bucket ... well, I very much disagree.

I'd be STUNNED if he was putting up similar numbers next year with the tape that people have on him now.

How much game tape do you believe NFL coordinators need?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2749 on: February 15, 2024, 02:08:07 PM »
Marc Bulger? If you think Bulger's numbers are anywhere near Purdy, you've lost all credibility in this discussion.

Purdy had an excellent year stats wise:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

He was pretty decent last year as well.

feedback