collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 95379 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread
« Reply #2650 on: January 26, 2024, 04:15:22 PM »
I'm curious how much roster control Belichick is requesting.
Too much, to get hired so far in this cycle
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2653 on: January 27, 2024, 08:20:54 PM »
Pro Football writers name Baker Mayfield  Most Improved Player

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/baker-mayfield-2023-nfl-most-improved-player-of-the-year-pfwa#
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2654 on: January 28, 2024, 04:06:05 PM »
Apparently, teams in the NFL saw Brady as the GOAT - not Belichick.

Eh ... Belichick wanted full control over football ops and Blank didn't want to give it to him. Really didn't have anything to do with Belichick's coaching acumen.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2655 on: January 28, 2024, 04:20:56 PM »
Eh ... Belichick wanted full control over football ops and Blank didn't want to give it to him. Really didn't have anything to do with Belichick's coaching acumen.

I think there is plenty of evidence that BB would have never won a SB without Brady.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2656 on: January 28, 2024, 04:27:13 PM »
I think there is plenty of evidence that BB would have never won a SB without Brady.

There’s plenty more evidence to suggest he’s a great coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2657 on: January 28, 2024, 04:52:56 PM »

What's the evidence?

How many Super Bowls did Jimmy Johnson win without Aikman? Walsh without Montana? Reid without Mahomes? Noll without Bradshaw (and a half-dozen other HOFers)? Shanahan without Elway?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2658 on: January 28, 2024, 04:53:37 PM »
Didn't Walsh win with Young?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2659 on: January 28, 2024, 04:55:54 PM »

No, that was 1994 with George Seifert. Walsh retired five years earlier.

• All American
« Reply #2660 on: January 28, 2024, 04:56:06 PM »

Pretty sure that was Siefert.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2661 on: January 28, 2024, 04:56:27 PM »

No sir. Seifert was the coach for Montana's last Super Bowl win and Young's only Super Bowl win.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2662 on: January 28, 2024, 05:01:54 PM »
Memory fades.  Acknowledged.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2663 on: January 29, 2024, 03:27:05 PM »
There’s plenty more evidence to suggest he’s a great coach.
Without a doubt. Plus he was, for a period of time, the best GM in the NFL. He had a great feel for when guys were losing ability and move on from them and he drafted well in later rounds.

I don't like Bill or the Patriots, so I don't take joy in admitting that, but you have to respect what he did.

• All American
« Reply #2664 on: January 29, 2024, 03:38:45 PM »
Without a doubt. Plus he was, for a period of time, the best GM in the NFL. He had a great feel for when guys were losing ability and move on from them and he drafted well in later rounds.

I don't like Bill or the Patriots, so I don't take joy in admitting that, but you have to respect what he did.

Was he the best GM? Or did the front office grow inbred, like the coaching staff, by only promoting from within.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/how-patriots-front-office-brain-drain-has-impacted-bill-belichicks-rosters

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2665 on: January 29, 2024, 04:06:09 PM »
Which team is going to spend $90 million for two years of Kirk Cousins?
Atlanta, maybe? They could probably sell themselves on the idea that they're a decent QB away from the playoffs, especially in that division. Denver won't have the cap space. Vegas seems more likely to draft someone or run it back with O'Connell than risk Jimmy G Part II. New England is in a rebuild. Steelers don't seem likely to have the cap.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/report-kirk-cousins-asking-price-will-be-too-much-vikings

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2666 on: January 29, 2024, 05:52:40 PM »
Which team is going to spend $90 million for two years of Kirk Cousins?
Atlanta, maybe? They could probably sell themselves on the idea that they're a decent QB away from the playoffs, especially in that division. Denver won't have the cap space. Vegas seems more likely to draft someone or run it back with O'Connell than risk Jimmy G Part II. New England is in a rebuild. Steelers don't seem likely to have the cap.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/report-kirk-cousins-asking-price-will-be-too-much-vikings
I think a lot of teams will bid on Kirk Cousins services. Perception is he is good enough to get a team into The Playoffs.
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2667 on: January 29, 2024, 06:04:58 PM »
I think a lot of teams will bid on Kirk Cousins services. Perception is he is good enough to get a team into The Playoffs.

Whose perception?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2668 on: January 29, 2024, 06:56:45 PM »
I don't think "a lot of teams" will bid at $45M a year.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2669 on: January 30, 2024, 08:10:34 AM »

Was he the best GM? Or did the front office grow inbred, like the coaching staff, by only promoting from within.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/how-patriots-front-office-brain-drain-has-impacted-bill-belichicks-rosters

I don't think he was the best pure GM, but I think he was the absolute best at being a GM who perfectly filled his rosters/scheme.  Obviously that harmony is a lot easier when your GM/coach are on the same page...cause they are the same person.

That being said, he is/was a cautionary tale of what can happen to even the best to do it.  Both the FO and coaching staff got polluted by nepotism and inbred hiring, largely because BB, IMO, thought he was so great and smart that his staff could just be whoever he liked/felt comfortable with.  And that caused the empire to crumble.

• All American
« Reply #2670 on: January 30, 2024, 08:22:07 AM »
I don't think he was the best pure GM, but I think he was the absolute best at being a GM who perfectly filled his rosters/scheme.  Obviously that harmony is a lot easier when your GM/coach are on the same page...cause they are the same person.

That being said, he is/was a cautionary tale of what can happen to even the best to do it.  Both the FO and coaching staff got polluted by nepotism and inbred hiring, largely because BB, IMO, thought he was so great and smart that his staff could just be whoever he liked/felt comfortable with.  And that caused the empire to crumble.

I've seen this in organizations outside football. Longtime leaders prefer people in roles they know they will get along with rather than newer people with outside ideas.

I have no doubt that NFL front offices are wary of hiring him due to this. They know way more than the general public or what is being reported.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2671 on: January 30, 2024, 12:14:42 PM »

I think you are spot on. It happens in every sport. A wise man once said it is better to get rid of a player one year too soon than one year too late. But I guess it is understandable since the team sinks a lot of $$$$ developing a player, so they are reluctant to get rid of him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2672 on: January 30, 2024, 04:20:57 PM »
Ben Johnson staying in Detroit.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2673 on: January 30, 2024, 05:24:33 PM »
Ben Johnson staying in Detroit.

Good start to the off-season for Detroit
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2674 on: January 30, 2024, 05:25:56 PM »
Just another Campbell enabler.