collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 95369 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2023-24 NFL Thread
« Reply #700 on: October 02, 2023, 08:38:48 AM »
Apparently Belichick to the Bears was a topic on ESPN radio.

Yes, please.

What if Belichick is neither a very good coach nor a very good GM anymore? His record sans Brady is pretty putrid, and he wouldn't exactly be a long-term solution.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #701 on: October 02, 2023, 08:50:14 AM »
Apparently Belichick to the Bears was a topic on ESPN radio.

Yes, please.

Yeah I don't think you want that at all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #702 on: October 02, 2023, 09:22:35 AM »
Belichick to the Bears would give me Phil Jackson to the Knicks type of vibes. A great coach, but we’ll past their prime.

Granted, Phil went as an executive. But I think Belichick the executive is making things much harder on Belichick the coach.

• All American
« Reply #703 on: October 02, 2023, 09:35:46 AM »
Belichick to the Bears would give me Phil Jackson to the Knicks type of vibes. A great coach, but we’ll past their prime.

Granted, Phil went as an executive. But I think Belichick the executive is making things much harder on Belichick the coach.

Putting Matt Patricia and Joe Judge in charge of Mac Jones second year development after McDaniels left was a terrible decision.

Anyway, I know it seems unfair to run a GM out of town after less than two years, but they again need a complete rebuild. Kevin Warren should have the ability to get his group of guys in there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #704 on: October 02, 2023, 11:19:49 AM »
Putting Matt Patricia and Joe Judge in charge of Mac Jones second year development after McDaniels left was a terrible decision.

Anyway, I know it seems unfair to run a GM out of town after less than two years, but they again need a complete rebuild. Kevin Warren should have the ability to get his group of guys in there.

Poles screwed up their last off-season big time. Spent big $$$ on linebackers when they are the least important position in their scheme, didn’t use their huge pile of cap money on the OL, and failed to draft the consensus #1 player.

People can bad- mouth Carter, but the draft showed why there are teams that are perennial winners and teams that are perennial losers. The losing teams all passed on Carter. The 1st winning organization to draft snatched him up in a second.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #705 on: October 02, 2023, 11:21:13 AM »
He wasn’t that good before Brady, either.

That’s not totally fair.  He did good stuff in Cleveland. He took over a dumpster fire, got them to the playoffs and won a game and then they were a popular Super Bowl pick heading into 95 before Modell turned the franchise on its head with the shock move announcement.

What if Belichick is neither a very good coach nor a very good GM anymore? His record sans Brady is pretty putrid, and he wouldn't exactly be a long-term solution.

I think the latter is the issue, he’s not been a good GM at all for awhile. I think a HUGE part of why he was successful as both was Scott Pioli.  That was really the building blocks of the dynasty.  Then by the time Pioli left they had a stacked roster and a superstar QB.  That made up for a lot of roster issues going forward. 

So you have a combination of a system that was wildly successful but the rest of the NFL caught up to, as they do, a lacking GM who probably has too much on his plate now, and flawed nepotism/loyalty with coaching.  It’s hard to notice/correct that when you’re full bought into your own merited past genius.

Even with a really good Brady, they still wouldn’t be the class of the AFC, much less the NFL.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #706 on: October 02, 2023, 11:43:10 AM »
People can bad- mouth Carter, but the draft showed why there are teams that are perennial winners and teams that are perennial losers. The losing teams all passed on Carter. The 1st winning organization to draft snatched him up in a second.

Seattle, which has had a winning record in 10 of the last 11 seasons and made the playoffs in nine of them, passed him up.

The Eagles have done very well, but even they're a great illustration of the fluky/random nature of the draft.
Howie Roseman's last 10 first-round drafts include:
2014: Marcus Smith, started 0 games, out of the league since 2018
2015: Nelson Algohor, five disappointing seasons in Philly, now on his fifth team
2016: Carson Wentz, out of the league
2019: Andre Dillard, in Tennessee after only nine starts over three seasons with the Eagles
2020: Jaelen Reagor, out of the league

That's five missed picks in his last 10 first rounds. That's not to say Roseman is bad - he's obviously very good - but don't tall into the trap of thinking "the Eagles did it, so it must be a great move." Everyone misses.

Again, nobody is surprised that Carter is good. Literally everyone knew Carter was good. The question is, and remains, will Monday through Saturday Jalen Carter eventually catch up with Sunday Jalen Carter.
Plenty of questionable character guys looked great at first, only to implode (see: Darrell Russell, Aldon Smith, Aaron Hernandez, etc.). I hope that's not the case for Carter, but it's way too early to be declaring victory there.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 11:47:24 AM by Pakuni »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #707 on: October 02, 2023, 11:53:40 AM »
That’s not totally fair.  He did good stuff in Cleveland. He took over a dumpster fire, got them to the playoffs and won a game and then they were a popular Super Bowl pick heading into 95 before Modell turned the franchise on its head with the shock move announcement.

The people who say "look at Belichick's record without Brady" ought to check out Bill Walsh's record without Montana or Don Shula without Griese/Marino or Marv Levy without Jim Kelly or Mike Tomlin without Roethlisberger or Sean Payton without Brees, etc.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #708 on: October 02, 2023, 12:11:05 PM »
The people who say "look at Belichick's record without Brady" ought to check out Bill Walsh's record without Montana or Don Shula without Griese/Marino or Marv Levy without Jim Kelly or Mike Tomlin without Roethlisberger or Sean Payton without Brees, etc.

Right.  Great coaches typically have great rosters, and most importantly great QBs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #709 on: October 02, 2023, 12:55:30 PM »
Belichick's record when Brady was out in NE was very impressive. The prevailing thought was it was more Belichick than Brady.

• All American
« Reply #710 on: October 02, 2023, 01:00:12 PM »
Belichick's record when Brady was out in NE was very impressive. The prevailing thought was it was more Belichick than Brady.

He had two years without Brady prior to his trade to Tampa. His first, where they went 5-11 with Drew Bledsoe as the starter. And 2008, where they went 11-5 and missed the playoffs.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach. He's a brilliant defensive mind. But hiring a 71 year old who wants total control, and a relatively meager recent track record, is not what I think the Bears should be doing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 01:01:54 PM by The Sultan of Semantics »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #711 on: October 02, 2023, 01:11:06 PM »
He had two years without Brady prior to his trade to Tampa. His first, where they went 5-11 with Drew Bledsoe as the starter. And 2008, where they went 11-5 and missed the playoffs.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach. He's a brilliant defensive mind. But hiring a 71 year old who wants total control, and a relatively meager recent track record, is not what I think the Bears should be doing.

It’s a terrible idea.  I don’t know what the answer is in Chicago but I’m confident it’s not Belichick.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #712 on: October 02, 2023, 01:23:58 PM »

Shula orchestrated the only undefeated season in NFL history despite Griese getting hurt and 100-year-old Earl Morrall having to start a majority of the games. In a move that was controversial at the time, Shula pivoted back to Griese in the middle of a tie playoff game.

Shula also had a Super Bowl season with effen David Woodley as his starting QB, bringing Don Strock in relief whenever the Dolphins' offense would (inevitably) sputter.

As a young Colts coach, Shula won an important game when he had to use RB Tom Matte at QB due to injuries, and he would have won a playoff game with Matte at QB had the Packers not benefited from a bad officiating call on a made FG.

When Shula had Griese, Csonka, Morris and a great offensive line, he ran the ball down the other team's throats. After he drafted Marino (who nobody else wanted due to unfounded drug rumors), Clayton and Duper, Shula changed his offense completely.

Pretty good coach - 2 losing seasons in 33 years.

But yes, I really do get your point.

Brady was incredibly durable. There was only one year in which he missed most of a season - and yes, that year (2008), Belichick went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at QB (but missed the playoffs). In 2016, Belichick went 3-1 when Garoppolo and Brissett had to start 2 games each. So obviously, Belichick and his assistants did a good job in those situations. But the Patriots have fallen apart since Brady left after the 2019 season - and Brady won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay.

Look, Belichick has won a bazillion Super Bowls and obviously is a Hall of Fame coach. But I'm not sure I'd be pining for a 71-year-old guy who has done very little sans Brady and whose work as GM has been shaky at best for years. But you're free to pine for him if you want.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #713 on: October 02, 2023, 01:28:46 PM »
It’s a terrible idea.  I don’t know what the answer is in Chicago but I’m confident it’s not Belichick.

I know Mike McDaniels calls the plays in Miami but I think it’s worth interviewing their OC. I hope the Bears go with an offensive coach rather than defense
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #714 on: October 02, 2023, 01:38:15 PM »
The Panthers interviewed Lions OC Ben Johnson and were said to be very impressed with him. I think he had a couple other interviews, too. He ended up deciding to stay in Detroit for at least one more year.

He might be a good get for the Bears (or anyone else).

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #715 on: October 02, 2023, 01:44:32 PM »

Look, Belichick has won a bazillion Super Bowls and obviously is a Hall of Fame coach. But I'm not sure I'd be pining for a 71-year-old guy who has done very little sans Brady and whose work as GM has been shaky at best for years. But you're free to pine for him if you want.
I understand there are very good reasons to not hire Belichick. I tend to agree with all of them.

But Belichick could have three strokes and Alzheimer's and be a massive upgrade for the Bears. 

• All American
« Reply #716 on: October 02, 2023, 01:45:20 PM »
I know Mike McDaniels calls the plays in Miami but I think it’s worth interviewing their OC. I hope the Bears go with an offensive coach rather than defense

I think hiring an offensive coordinator who doesn't call plays gets you the next Nathanial Hackett or Matt Nagy.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #717 on: October 02, 2023, 01:53:45 PM »

Ben Johnson of Detroit, as MU82 mentioned, will be a head coach in the NFL next year.  If the Bills keep putting up numbers like they have been, Ken Dorsey will get a lot of looks, too.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #718 on: October 02, 2023, 02:03:18 PM »
I think hiring an offensive coordinator who doesn't call plays gets you the next Nathanial Hackett or Matt Nagy.

Then again, it could get you the next Mike McDaniels, Nick Sirianni or Zac Taylor.
Probably really just a case-by-case thing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #719 on: October 02, 2023, 02:08:56 PM »
The Panthers interviewed Lions OC Ben Johnson and were said to be very impressed with him. I think he had a couple other interviews, too. He ended up deciding to stay in Detroit for at least one more year.

He might be a good get for the Bears (or anyone else).

There will likely be several Detroit assistants interviewing if this season continues on the current track.     Johnson and Glenn, at a minimum.     Brunell is probably ready to move from QB coach to OC somewhere, if not a HC gig.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #720 on: October 02, 2023, 02:13:41 PM »
Seattle, which has had a winning record in 10 of the last 11 seasons and made the playoffs in nine of them, passed him up.

The Eagles have done very well, but even they're a great illustration of the fluky/random nature of the draft.
2015: Nelson Algohor, five disappointing seasons in Philly, now on his fifth team
2019: Andre Dillard, in Tennessee after only nine starts over three seasons with the Eagles

That's five missed picks in his last 10 first rounds. That's not to say Roseman is bad - he's obviously very good - but don't tall into the trap of thinking "the Eagles did it, so it must be a great move." Everyone misses.

Again, nobody is surprised that Carter is good. Literally everyone knew Carter was good. The question is, and remains, will Monday through Saturday Jalen Carter eventually catch up with Sunday Jalen Carter.
Plenty of questionable character guys looked great at first, only to implode (see: Darrell Russell, Aldon Smith, Aaron Hernandez, etc.). I hope that's not the case for Carter, but it's way too early to be declaring victory there.

Not to mention Carter, on this Bears D, would be double teamed all the time and look terrible.

Easy to look good in Philly when there's significantly more talent in the rest of the D line.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #721 on: October 02, 2023, 02:14:33 PM »

Frank Smith, the OC, is actually from Cedarburg.

Also, he was the anchor of the OL for Big Ben at Miami.  And history shows if you’re an NFL HC as a Miami alum, you’re probably gonna win a Super Bowl.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #722 on: October 02, 2023, 02:21:11 PM »
I understand there are very good reasons to not hire Belichick. I tend to agree with all of them.

But Belichick could have three strokes and Alzheimer's and be a massive upgrade for the Bears.

Talk about COLE.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #723 on: October 02, 2023, 03:00:50 PM »

The difference is that good teams overcome their mistakes. Hence the Bears end up with Claypool and a couple of very mediocre looking DLs.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #724 on: October 02, 2023, 03:11:19 PM »
Talk about COLE.
COLE = Bears Fans 2023  :(