[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 95688 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: 2023-24 NFL Thread
« Reply #375 on: September 17, 2023, 10:41:59 PM »
The Bears are so bad their effort today received a C-, not F, grade from CBS Sports. I guess it makes sense when they go onto say "The Bears might be the worst team in football." Not just the NFL, "in Football"!

They’d wipe the floor with most HS teams.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #376 on: September 17, 2023, 10:59:29 PM »
They’d wipe the floor with most HS teams.
Not in Texas.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #377 on: September 18, 2023, 10:13:35 AM »
12 straight GREAT RESULTS for da Bears.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #378 on: September 18, 2023, 10:19:18 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #379 on: September 18, 2023, 10:22:18 AM »
https://x.com/chatham58/status/1703749120752574501?s=46&t=QSiaGcOIKZrrpw0ciZkI5Q

Interesting thoughts on the kick block last night
Goes into a long detail trying to say somwthing game changing happened. #94 missed his block. Pretty simple explanation

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #380 on: September 18, 2023, 10:24:12 AM »
Goes into a long detail trying to say somwthing game changing happened. #94 missed his block. Pretty simple explanation

Could be, could also be a way to attack the kicking game.  94 misses his block because of the motion

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #381 on: September 18, 2023, 10:27:03 AM »
Could be, could also be a way to attack the kicking game.  94 misses his block because of the motion
Or because hes fat and out of shape, and decides to block the inside guy

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #382 on: September 18, 2023, 10:41:27 AM »
https://x.com/chatham58/status/1703749120752574501?s=46&t=QSiaGcOIKZrrpw0ciZkI5Q

Interesting thoughts on the kick block last night

I'm not sure I get it.  It definitely looks like he's looking at the ball and long snapper up until the snap.  He's running along the line and his helmet is straight forward until the snap of the ball.  It doesn't look to be looking left, towards the kicker or holder, at all.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #383 on: September 18, 2023, 10:42:34 AM »
Or because hes fat and out of shape, and decides to block the inside guy

And poorly coached then.  Lots of poorly coached teams in the league, especially on special teams

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #384 on: September 18, 2023, 12:29:44 PM »
I don't think it was a missed block. Likely a missed read. I think the blocking scheme doesn't usually account for a guy sprinting in from the side like that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #385 on: September 18, 2023, 08:10:17 PM »
As a Browns fan, let me say, f**k!

Never a good sign when they won’t even show us the replay.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #386 on: September 18, 2023, 08:17:39 PM »
As a Browns fan, let me say, f**k!

Never a good sign when they won’t even show us the replay.

It’s one of those replays and yeah, woof

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #387 on: September 18, 2023, 08:20:45 PM »
My observation of the NFL is there are a ton of bad teams. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #388 on: September 18, 2023, 08:25:47 PM »
"There are differing numbers from different data sources on this, but per PFF, Justin Fields only has five designed runs through two weeks. This is especially notable because last year, he averaged only 3.5 designed runs per game in Weeks 1-6, when he averaged 15.6 fantasy points per game. But then the offense changed for the New England game, and mostly stuck from there, as he averaged 7.6 designed runs per game from Week 7 through Week 18. And yeah, during that stretch, his fantasy scoring exploded to 27.7 FPPG, but it wasn’t just the fantasy scoring — that clearly added a dynamic to their offense which made them harder to defend and elevated everything. Fields was also throwing for more yards, and more TDs, and the Bears scoring almost 8 more points per game during that stretch, an increase of more than 50% on their 15.5 points over the first six weeks. So why, with the same offensive coordinator, are we back to the early 2022 stuff with no designed runs? That’s rhetorical, obviously, because there’s no logical explanation."

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #389 on: September 18, 2023, 08:35:39 PM »
Big thumbs down to having two MNF games on at the same time.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #390 on: September 18, 2023, 08:49:32 PM »
"There are differing numbers from different data sources on this, but per PFF, Justin Fields only has five designed runs through two weeks. This is especially notable because last year, he averaged only 3.5 designed runs per game in Weeks 1-6, when he averaged 15.6 fantasy points per game. But then the offense changed for the New England game, and mostly stuck from there, as he averaged 7.6 designed runs per game from Week 7 through Week 18. And yeah, during that stretch, his fantasy scoring exploded to 27.7 FPPG, but it wasn’t just the fantasy scoring — that clearly added a dynamic to their offense which made them harder to defend and elevated everything. Fields was also throwing for more yards, and more TDs, and the Bears scoring almost 8 more points per game during that stretch, an increase of more than 50% on their 15.5 points over the first six weeks. So why, with the same offensive coordinator, are we back to the early 2022 stuff with no designed runs? That’s rhetorical, obviously, because there’s no logical explanation."

So instead of being disgustingly awful, if they went back to 2022 play calling they would just be awful?  And Fields would be more likely to get injured?  He's clearly not a pocket passer.  He may not even be a QB.  I would perhaps run the ball more with their backs, try some play-action, or get Fields rolling out to throw. 

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #391 on: September 18, 2023, 09:52:27 PM »
Bears fans finally coming to realize what everyone else has seen the whole time has been something.

I’m not sure I can say Jordan Love is a good or bad quarterback yet. But I feel very confident in saying he’s a better QB than Justin Fields. Fields could be a more valuable/better football player if they played him at RB, but he’s not a good QB.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #392 on: September 18, 2023, 10:14:43 PM »
Bears fans finally coming to realize what everyone else has seen the whole time has been something.

I’m not sure I can say Jordan Love is a good or bad quarterback yet. But I feel very confident in saying he’s a better QB than Justin Fields. Fields could be a more valuable/better football player if they played him at RB, but he’s not a good QB.

He's obviously a tremendous athlete but the fact that he can't read defenses, or accurately throw, or get rid of the ball, or make basic NFL QB decisions seems to indicate he's not an NFL QB.  Certainly not one you can win with.  He's like 5-30 or something like that.  I'm not even sure he can throw a spiral.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2023, 11:05:02 PM »
Trubisky > Fields.

I’m not being sarcastic.

Neither are starting NFL QBs.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #394 on: September 18, 2023, 11:18:33 PM »

I have never been sold on Fields but to claim that everybody not a Bear’s fan  has known all along that he couldn’t be an NFL QB is BS.

Your typical contribution.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #395 on: September 19, 2023, 07:51:38 AM »
I have never been sold on Fields but to claim that everybody not a Bear’s fan  has known all along that he couldn’t be an NFL QB is BS.

The Bears failed Fields.  Getsy is a terrible OC and if they fire him and keep Fields, he’d be on his 3rd OC in 4 seasons.  That’s just not a good recipe.  Add in a lack of talent around him and a terrible line, his chances of success revolved solely around him overcoming the obstacles.

Let’s compare that to Joe Burrow who was also drafted by an organization with a less than stellar reputation.  He’s had one coach, one OC and skilled players at RB and WR.  His line has been sketchy but they’ve made it work by having good people around him.  Plus his talent.

I don’t think it’s a surprise the best Bears QBs since ‘92 have probably been Erik Kramer and Jay Cutler, QB’s that came from outside the organization

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #396 on: September 19, 2023, 08:59:36 AM »

Spot on. Either ignorant or trying to troll. The national media has, and continues to, speak glowingly about Fields. The actual reality is that Bears fans have soured on Fields faster than anyone else.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #397 on: September 19, 2023, 09:58:09 AM »
The Bears failed Fields.  Getsy is a terrible OC and if they fire him and keep Fields, he’d be on his 3rd OC in 4 seasons.  That’s just not a good recipe.  Add in a lack of talent around him and a terrible line, his chances of success revolved solely around him overcoming the obstacles.

Let’s compare that to Joe Burrow who was also drafted by an organization with a less than stellar reputation.  He’s had one coach, one OC and skilled players at RB and WR.  His line has been sketchy but they’ve made it work by having good people around him.  Plus his talent.

I don’t think it’s a surprise the best Bears QBs since ‘92 have probably been Erik Kramer and Jay Cutler, QB’s that came from outside the organization

Burrow came from a much more traditional pro offense, versus Fields who is the latest in a line of quarterbacks to disappoint coming out of the Urban Meyer / Ryan Day system at OSU. IOW, I think transferring to Ohio State was detrimental to Fields, while transferring away from Ohio State was beneficial to Burrow.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #398 on: September 19, 2023, 10:12:06 AM »
Spot on. Either ignorant or trying to troll. The national media has, and continues to, speak glowingly about Fields. The actual reality is that Bears fans have soured on Fields faster than anyone else.

FWIW when his initial set of starts made clear that they had effectively ordered him *not* to throw the ball and then his second season made it seem like they had only barely gained any confidence in a passing game with him, that sent up more red flags than the Chinese navy.

Did I *know* he was bad when he was a rookie? Of course not. But when he got more and more game action and kept looking like a run first, run second, and run third QB, I started to get real skeptical he was ever going to turn into the type of QB that's effective in the NFL.

On Sunday we had a few conversations about Fields that went something like "it's probably impossible to tell what of his current state is on him and what is on the Bears/Coaching. If he had landed on a better organization, had a better OL, had a stable coaching/OC situation, maybe sat his rookie year and worked on all of the stuff that goes into playing NFL-level QB rather than needing to run for his life, who knows..."

Regardless, there's enough of a book out on him now that if I'm the Bears I think long and hard about tanking, cleaning house on the front office and coaching, and starting fresh with Caleb Williams.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #399 on: September 19, 2023, 10:15:22 AM »

Burrow came from a much more traditional pro offense, versus Fields who is the latest in a line of quarterbacks to disappoint coming out of the Urban Meyer / Ryan Day system at OSU. IOW, I think transferring to Ohio State was detrimental to Fields, while transferring away from Ohio State was beneficial to Burrow.

Fair points, too.  CJ Stroud’s trajectory will be interesting.  He’s working with a pretty raw staff in Houston