'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus Article on The Athletic  (Read 3761 times)

BM1090

• All American
Markus Article on The Athletic
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:21:53 AM »
Subscribers - Read

Non Subscribers - Either subscribe or sign up for a free trial.

https://theathletic.com/801341/2019/02/07/markus-howard-feature/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:39:37 PM by MUeagle1090 »

MuMark

• All American
Re: Markus Article on The Atheltic
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »
Really good stuff......lucky to have Markus in the program........great to see how he has grown in his time at MU.......now if he only could add 3 or 4 inches...... ;D

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 12:07:59 PM »
C'mon, at least 4 or 5 bullet point summary for us heathens!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
C'mon, at least 4 or 5 bullet point summary for us heathens!

Wouldn't do it justice. It's feature length and gives a great insight into the whole team, not only Markus.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:58:53 PM »
It’s hard to put into 5 points but if I had to take a go at it:

1. Talks about Markus’ and the teams preparation before the St John’s game specifically. Howard watched the first game 15-20 times and wojo reminded the team constantly how they got pounded the first time.

2. Howard focusing more on being a “global” leader meaning that he is concerned with others around him and making them better instead of just himself. He is really the vocal leader on the team.

3. Sounded like the team didn’t have the best week of practice leading up to the St John’s game.

4. They didn’t execute in the game and didn’t really have much else to say about that. Howard said it was on him and he didn’t execute.

5. A lot of the small details and quotes were pretty interesting and insightful which would be hard to put in a bullet point.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 11:13:05 PM »
pretty interesting and insightful which would be hard to put in a bullet point.

I'll take a numbered list too.  Thank you.  And of course a reminder that I should subscribe...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 09:56:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure they do 7 day free trials, so you'd be able to subscribe then cancel after reading

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 10:00:20 AM »
5. A lot of the small details and quotes were pretty interesting and insightful which would be hard to put in a bullet point.

One cool little insight into who Markus is as a person was a part noting that he often reads before games to relax and gather this thoughts. He's been reading a book about the 92 Bulls title run and how Jordan asserted himself as a leader on that team. Markus made a comment about wanting to know more about leaders to make himself a better leader.

This kid is special. Sometimes I need to remind myself how lucky we are to have a guy like this with us for a few years.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 10:38:07 AM »
Very good article.

For those curious about the athletic I’ll share my two cents

I was always in the camp that used to say I’d never pay for sports content. I did the free trial and I really enjoyed it so I kept it. I used it much more when I first had it but would still argue that it’s worth the investment

If you’re in the “tldr” too long didn’t read millennial camp with an attention span that doesn’t last beyond 45 seconds (Noah fence!) then it isn’t for you. Typically extremely long articles

However, I really enjoy that most of the articles give insight to things I haven’t seen or read about anywhere else- often times they are personal in nature and shed light on the inner workings of some of my favorite teams. They have plenty of writers and the content isnt scarce.

If those are the types of things that resonate to you give it a roll in the hay

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 10:46:20 AM »
im not sure how you watch the first game 15-20 times and have basically the same exact game plan for game 2, I did not see any significant adjustments there,  it did come down to free throws and missing shots we normally make but still where was the adjustment?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 11:53:17 AM »
It’s hard to put into 5 points but if I had to take a go at it:

1. Talks about Markus’ and the teams preparation before the St John’s game specifically. Howard watched the first game 15-20 times and wojo reminded the team constantly how they got pounded the first time.

2. Howard focusing more on being a “global” leader meaning that he is concerned with others around him and making them better instead of just himself. He is really the vocal leader on the team.

3. Sounded like the team didn’t have the best week of practice leading up to the St John’s game.

4. They didn’t execute in the game and didn’t really have much else to say about that. Howard said it was on him and he didn’t execute.

Certainly happy that MU is getting attention, but the article itself was fluffy and unnecessarily long. That being said, I do enjoy much of the content on The Athletic for those of you on the fence.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 11:56:40 AM »
im not sure how you watch the first game 15-20 times and have basically the same exact game plan for game 2, I did not see any significant adjustments there,  it did come down to free throws and missing shots we normally make but still where was the adjustment?

Well the first time around Markus had 1 assist 1 TO and 15 shot attempt, the 2nd time around he had 5 assist 3 TO and 17 shot attempt (albeit with 13 more minutes) so I would say that looking at the numbers, he was trying to get his teammates more involved, the increase in assists and TO suggests this.  FWIW the eye test also supports the IMO, was looking to pass much more in MKE.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 12:01:34 PM »

I saw a major adjustment in Markus game. He was substantially more passive than he has been and that was according to game plan. He actually shot very well from 3, 4/8, so I would’ve liked to see some “hero ball” from him in the second half but it never came.

One adjustment I didn’t see that I was hoping for nearly the entire game was 2 bigs in at the same time.

I know people talk about it all the time and it’s not Wojos style, it’s not how this team plays. However, I’m a big proponent that when one thing isn’t working you need to get your opponent on its heels and confused by changing it up.
There was a stretch of “helter skelter” up and down play where stj lost their cool (don’t think by design) and that helped. The other thing that really helped was going inside (minus the negative effect of missed ft).

I truly feel that throwing a lineup of Theo, Ed, the Hausers plus Markus woulda flustered Mullins and really helped establish identity in that second half. Remember, none of the bigs were in foul trouble and St. John’s is pretty small bulk wise inside (although athletic). They were also battling heavy foul trouble.

I think Wojo shoulda went with the rarely used Theo plus Ed (both we’re having nice games) and pounded the ball inside and let the other 3 shooters shoot in situations where st j collapsed to the paint.

I will add that Wojo has a million things on his mind and I feel like this is one of his main assistants responsibilities to make the suggestion as it becomes apparent in game flow. Again, I know the two bigs argument is often made and never used, but I think St. John’s the other night in 2H woulda been perfect for it

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 12:07:54 PM »
A lineup with Theo, Ed and both Hausers would have been murdered on the defensive end. 2-5 they would have been able to beat us off the dribble. Realistically 1-5 because that takes Sacar out of the game and nobody else can slow down Ponds at all.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 12:14:27 PM »
A lineup with Theo, Ed and both Hausers would have been murdered on the defensive end. 2-5 they would have been able to beat us off the dribble. Realistically 1-5 because that takes Sacar out of the game and nobody else can slow down Ponds at all.

I agree.  You would need to zone with that lineup.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
Can’t find a website for the “Atheltic”

(I actually do subscribe, but don’t use it very often)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 12:39:59 PM »

Can’t find a website for the “Atheltic”

(I actually do subscribe, but don’t use it very often)

::) Fixed

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 01:19:12 PM »
I agree.  You would need to zone with that lineup.

Yup definitely zone. The idea is that you make Mullins adjust to you pounding the paint- he would have no choice but to do so- and force the issue on getting them in worse foul trouble. Alternatively, the two grown ass men inside do some damage w dunks/blocks and the crowd gets into it.

On the other end you pack it in and make them shoot jumpers for a stretch and see how it goes. Sacar for Markus or bailey for Joey would be a viable alternative if ponds starts nailing from deep

feedback