[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus  (Read 87460 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Markus
« Reply #375 on: April 10, 2019, 03:32:50 PM »
If Tre Jones and Ashton Hagans(true PG's) are staying in school, Markus would be wise to follow their lead. Tre and Ashton are both much better defenders, bigger, and true PG's. Tre at one point was projected to be a first round pick. Neither are even getting evaluations.

Jones and Hagans do nothing at an elite level. And both are horrible at the one skill that every NBA team values -- a skill that Markus does at an elite level.

So it's apples and oranges.

But as I said earlier, I agree with you that Markus faces a tough road to the NBA.

I think he'll come back, but I don't know. Neither does anybody else, because none of us knows what Markus values most right now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #376 on: April 10, 2019, 03:55:22 PM »
If Tre Jones and Ashton Hagans(true PG's) are staying in school, Markus would be wise to follow their lead. Tre and Ashton are both much better defenders, bigger, and true PG's. Tre at one point was projected to be a first round pick. Neither are even getting evaluations.

Those two staying could actually be an argument for Markus going. Two less PGs ahead of him on the draft board this year and two more on the draft board next year.

I would be surprised if Markus left and think it's at best 50/50 he gets drafted at all of he does go. But it's possible that he may believe that his draft prospects aren't going to improve if he stays another year. If that's the case he may not see the point in delaying the inevitable. We assume Markus loves being at Marquette but maybe he's ready for the next challenge. I loved my Marquette experience but there were definitely moments where I was anxious to get on to the next chapter of my life
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #377 on: April 10, 2019, 03:58:25 PM »
I will also point out that, if Markus knows that he has to improve his point skills to make it in the NBA, and if he decides to stay, that he undoubtedly has had conversations with Wojo about his role next year.  Which means he will be primarily playing point guard like this year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #378 on: April 10, 2019, 04:14:17 PM »
I will also point out that, if Markus knows that he has to improve his point skills to make it in the NBA, and if he decides to stay, that he undoubtedly has had conversations with Wojo about his role next year.  Which means he will be primarily playing point guard like this year.
Yeah, it’s hard to see how that would change if he stays. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #379 on: April 10, 2019, 04:15:28 PM »
Yeah, it’s hard to see how that would change if he stays.

Agreed. Assume he would share PG duties with Koby at a minimum. 25 minutes at PG, 10 off the ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #380 on: April 10, 2019, 04:56:23 PM »
Maybe I'm just crazy, but with his NBA prospects being fuzzy at best, I think there's something to be gained by being able to tell his kids and grandkids about being MU's all-time leading scorer. And that record that could stand for quite some time in this era of the "best" players leaving early.

Different story if he is a sure first rounder or even a sure draft pick...but he could very well end up choosing between $35K in the G-league and MU immortality.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #381 on: April 10, 2019, 05:51:22 PM »
Yep. If it were me I'd want to establish my legacy at MU as one of the best ever. But not everyone has the same motivation.

burger

• All American
« Reply #382 on: April 10, 2019, 05:56:04 PM »
If Markus goes.....

One of the considerations he must have is injury given the total disregard in calls he gets from the officials in the Big East......

You have a bunch of thug forwards slamming him to the ground any time they get the chance and he gets maybe 50% of the calls.....

What would you do.....

The Big East has no one to blame but themselves for losing this "star" a year early if true.....

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #383 on: April 10, 2019, 06:03:03 PM »
Consider the players KenPom considers the best comps for Markus, based on how he played during his junior season:

Sean Singletary
Listed at 6-0/185, he played 4 years at Virginia on his way to scoring 2,000 career points. Drafted in the 2nd round (42nd overall) of the 2008 NBA draft. Spent a season with the Suns and Bobcats, then several D-League and European teams before retiring in 2014.

Sherron Collins
Listed at 5-11/205, he played 4 years at Kansas -- being named a 3rd-team AP All American as a junior, and 2nd-team AP All American as a senior. He went undrafted in the 2010 NBA Draft. Spent part of his first season as a pro on the Bobcats roster, then with several D-League and European teams.

Denis Clemente
Listed at 6-1/175, he played 2 years at Miami and 2 years at Kansas State. He went undrafted in the 2010 NBA Draft. Played in the NBA Summer League with the Charlotte Bobcats, but was cut before training camp. Currently playing in Europe.

Aaron Holiday
Listed at 6-1/185, he played 3 years at UCLA. Selected by the Packers in the first round of the 2018 NBA Draft with the 23rd overall pick. Still on the Pacers roster.

Obviously, none of these is a perfect match. They're all different players -- all of them except Collins have a slight height advantage over Markus, Singletary has a higher assist rate and was more of a ballhawk on the defensive end, but none of them can match Markus for shooting and scoring (he has both the highest 3P% and FTRate of the bunch).

That said, I think the comps do give you a rough idea of where Markus stands.

Three of the four comps played all four years in college. That much seems like a good bet. So what happens if he comes back? Best case: he continues to improve as a playmaker and defender and an NBA team selects him late in the first round. Worst case: Markus goes undrafted, either making an NBA roster as a free agent or opting to go to the D-League or Europe.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #384 on: April 10, 2019, 06:08:04 PM »
shooters, yes, but shooters taller than Marcus.

Of the current top 30 for three point percentage this season, only four are shorter than 6-3: Seth Curry (6-2), Quinn Cook (6-2), Collin Sexton (6-2) and DJ Augustin (6-0). Marcus is listed at 5-11 but I doubt that's accurate.

Well that sure looks Daunting for Markus, but nothing venture and  he will never know.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #385 on: April 10, 2019, 06:23:26 PM »
Maybe I'm just crazy, but with his NBA prospects being fuzzy at best, I think there's something to be gained by being able to tell his kids and grandkids about being MU's all-time leading scorer. And that record that could stand for quite some time in this era of the "best" players leaving early.

Different story if he is a sure first rounder or even a sure draft pick...but he could very well end up choosing between $35K in the G-league and MU immortality.

He'll make six figures easily in Europe if that's the route he wants to go. He's not limited to only the G League if he doesn't make the NBA.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #386 on: April 10, 2019, 06:34:23 PM »

This might be the purest example of homerism I’ve ever seen.  It belongs on Buckyville.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #387 on: April 10, 2019, 06:40:08 PM »
Consider the players KenPom considers the best comps for Markus, based on how he played during his junior season:

Sean Singletary
Listed at 6-0/185, he played 4 years at Virginia on his way to scoring 2,000 career points. Drafted in the 2nd round (42nd overall) of the 2008 NBA draft. Spent a season with the Suns and Bobcats, then several D-League and European teams before retiring in 2014.

Sherron Collins
Listed at 5-11/205, he played 4 years at Kansas -- being named a 3rd-team AP All American as a junior, and 2nd-team AP All American as a senior. He went undrafted in the 2010 NBA Draft. Spent part of his first season as a pro on the Bobcats roster, then with several D-League and European teams.

Denis Clemente
Listed at 6-1/175, he played 2 years at Miami and 2 years at Kansas State. He went undrafted in the 2010 NBA Draft. Played in the NBA Summer League with the Charlotte Bobcats, but was cut before training camp. Currently playing in Europe.

Aaron Holiday
Listed at 6-1/185, he played 3 years at UCLA. Selected by the Packers in the first round of the 2018 NBA Draft with the 23rd overall pick. Still on the Pacers roster.

Obviously, none of these is a perfect match. They're all different players -- all of them except Collins have a slight height advantage over Markus, Singletary has a higher assist rate and was more of a ballhawk on the defensive end, but none of them can match Markus for shooting and scoring (he has both the highest 3P% and FTRate of the bunch).

That said, I think the comps do give you a rough idea of where Markus stands.

Three of the four comps played all four years in college. That much seems like a good bet. So what happens if he comes back? Best case: he continues to improve as a playmaker and defender and an NBA team selects him late in the first round. Worst case: Markus goes undrafted, either making an NBA roster as a free agent or opting to go to the D-League or Europe.
Drafted in first round of the NFL draft then to the pacers in the NBA? quite the athlete eh?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #388 on: April 10, 2019, 06:46:00 PM »
Grimes declared today......had a really mediocre season but if he stays in he will almost surely be drafted .

https://twitter.com/qdotgrimes/status/1116093166439084032?s=21

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #389 on: April 10, 2019, 07:05:24 PM »
Grimes declared today......had a really mediocre season but if he stays in he will almost surely be drafted .

So should we expect the full tale from big daddy yet or wait till after the draft?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #390 on: April 10, 2019, 07:43:39 PM »
Some big east reporter said "all signs point to markus staying" i forgot his twitter @ though

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #391 on: April 10, 2019, 07:47:26 PM »
Some big east reporter said "all signs point to markus staying" i forgot his twitter @ though

John Fanta.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #392 on: April 10, 2019, 08:16:02 PM »
This might be the purest example of homerism I’ve ever seen.  It belongs on Buckyville.

Remember when UConn player decided to come back to win a title....and they did....beat Duke in the final.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #393 on: April 10, 2019, 08:26:50 PM »

https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1115668348375851008

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #394 on: April 10, 2019, 08:41:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1115668348375851008

Awesome. That's definitely good news if the signs keep pointing that way!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #395 on: April 10, 2019, 08:45:03 PM »
Markus participating with team at strength and conditioning drills on Instagram.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #396 on: April 10, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »
Drafted in first round of the NFL draft then to the pacers in the NBA? quite the athlete eh?

LOL usually typos are much more nonsensical, not just ridiculous.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #397 on: April 10, 2019, 09:33:50 PM »

+ 1 billion
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #398 on: April 10, 2019, 09:55:00 PM »

As with every one of these players, I wish the best for him.

But ...

What an underachieving 1-and-done, a kid who had pretty small impact on the big stage.

And to think all the hours we spent begging, pleading, name-changing and hoping.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #399 on: April 10, 2019, 10:12:17 PM »

John Fanta seems to think it’s not just homerism....

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:16:00 PM by GooooMarquette »