[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus  (Read 87481 times)

HammerScreen

• Scholarship Player
Re: Markus
« Reply #350 on: April 10, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »
Markus is younger than Rowsey.    He scored 5 points per game more than Rowsey.    Rowsey, at 23, handled the point better.    Markus played better defense.   Both have ridiculous range.    Both are well under 6 ft.    And I think that last is the crucial point.   How many sub 6 ft players are in the NBA.   Single digits.    How many are shooting guards, or lack elite PG skills?
+1

I'd love to see the stats of Markus 1v1 with Ponds, who certainly has NBA athleticism, or Morant. Can't remember if Ja ever guarded Markus

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #351 on: April 10, 2019, 12:35:55 PM »
This is so wrong. On the turnovers
As far as the nba, he might get a chance he might even make it, by why take a flyer at best a year early, why the rush.  Get better have a great year and if he does develop nba potential maybe get a furst round pick.

Should clarify that I meant solely off the dribble turnovers. He made countless stupid or bad passes.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #352 on: April 10, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »
Not really. Only 20 (qualified) players in the league are shooting 40 percent or better from beyond the arc this year. That's out of 131 qualified shooters, so basically only 15 percent of them.
Only 49 are shooting better than 37.5 percent.

Yep, That what James and the LA Lakers are looking for, Shooters.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #353 on: April 10, 2019, 12:52:23 PM »
Yep, That what James and the LA Lakers are looking for, Shooters.

shooters, yes, but shooters taller than Marcus.

Of the current top 30 for three point percentage this season, only four are shorter than 6-3: Seth Curry (6-2), Quinn Cook (6-2), Collin Sexton (6-2) and DJ Augustin (6-0). Marcus is listed at 5-11 but I doubt that's accurate.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #354 on: April 10, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »
Markus is younger than Rowsey.    He scored 5 points per game more than Rowsey.    Rowsey, at 23, handled the point better.    Markus played better defense.   Both have ridiculous range.    Both are well under 6 ft.    And I think that last is the crucial point.   How many sub 6 ft players are in the NBA.   Single digits.    How many are shooting guards, or lack elite PG skills?

Markus is better overall basketball player than Rowsey.  But also, I am not saying he will have a long, productive career.  I am simply saying that he will get his chance and play in an NBA game at some point during his career.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #355 on: April 10, 2019, 12:59:03 PM »
shooters, yes, but shooters taller than Marcus.

Of the current top 30 for three point percentage this season, only four are shorter than 6-3: Seth Curry (6-2), Quinn Cook (6-2), Collin Sexton (6-2) and DJ Augustin (6-0). Marcus is listed at 5-11 but I doubt that's accurate.

Its not. I'm actually just a bit over 5'9 and I was clearly taller then him and rowsey when we were next to each other.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #356 on: April 10, 2019, 01:05:11 PM »
Its not. I'm actually just a bit over 5'9 and I was clearly taller then him and rowsey when we were next to each other.

Reminder that all NBA heights are with shoes. So it's not unrealistic that he could be accurately "listed" at 5'10 or so. Agree 5'11 is a stretch.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #357 on: April 10, 2019, 01:48:05 PM »

Markus is better overall basketball player than Rowsey.  But also, I am not saying he will have a long, productive career.  I am simply saying that he will get his chance and play in an NBA game at some point during his career.
I agree Markus is better.  I don't think he gets drafted if he leaves.  For the aforementioned reasons.

And I love Markus.  I appreciate everything he has accomplished and how he represents Marquette. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 01:54:41 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #358 on: April 10, 2019, 01:51:54 PM »

When I was at MU mu roommate (5-8) was standing next to Hutch at a crossing, turned to him and said "there's no way you're 5-10, I'm taller than you." Hutch just said "that's what the list me at."

Maybe Markus is 5-10 with his hair?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #359 on: April 10, 2019, 01:56:34 PM »
Or maybe we just remember people's heights differently than what they really are.  I play basketball with a kid every week and, because he plays bigger than he is, I swore he was 2+ inches taller than me.  When discussing it with some other friends of mine who had occasionally come and played they said there was no way he was taller than me.  The next week I made a point to see if he really was my height or shorter.  Turns out I have at least an inch on him.

I find it hard to believe that Marquette would add 5 inches to Markus's height but not add any height to other players' height.  My guess is he's 5'10" without shoes and 5'11" with them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #360 on: April 10, 2019, 02:06:48 PM »
Yeah, totally disagree. After the first 5 games of the season or so he rarely turned the ball over unless he was facing full court pressure or a trap at midcourt. He won't face those in the NBA.

He gets loose with it sometimes but he's more than capable. I would bet thousands of dollars he plays in an NBA game, barring injury. I'd bet Vegas would agree with me if they were setting odds as well.

I don't think the question for most people is whether he will play an NBA game or not. It's whether he will ever latch on to a team and carve out a legitimate role. Plenty of guys are getting a shot with 10 day contracts each year now.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #361 on: April 10, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »
Should clarify that I meant solely off the dribble turnovers. He made countless stupid or bad passes.

U mean he could successfully dribble up the floor uncontested without losing it?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #362 on: April 10, 2019, 02:13:42 PM »
U mean he could successfully dribble up the floor uncontested without losing it?

Ya know, Markus ain't perfect, but some of you guys are acting like he's not even worthy of his scholarship.  The dude was a second team All American, and a finalist for the Bob Cousy award.  If you want to be overly critical of a coach making millions of dollars that's one thing, but some of this is starting to border on Derrick treatment, which is just mind-blowing to me considering the accolades that Markus has accumulated.

http://www.hoophallawards.com/cousy.php
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 02:15:26 PM by Its DJOver »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #363 on: April 10, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »
Ya know, Markus ain't perfect, but some of you guys are acting like he's not even worthy of his scholarship.  The dude was a second team All American, and a finalist for the Bob Cousy award.  If you want to be overly critical of a coach making millions of dollars that's one thing, but some of this is starting to border on Derrick treatment, which is just mind-blowing to me considering the accolades that Markus has accumulated.

Yup.
I'm sure it's a vocal minority, but it seems way too many fans fail to understand how fortunate we are to have Markus repping MU on and off the court.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #364 on: April 10, 2019, 02:21:06 PM »

Markus has proven himself as one of the best college players today and one of the best MU will ever have. However, he is not an NBA player. I think there's a difference there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #365 on: April 10, 2019, 02:22:56 PM »

Scoopers bagging on the BEPOY and second team AA.   Such a scoopy thing to do.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #366 on: April 10, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »
First of all, Markus' teammates haven't spent the last 3 years "stepped to the shadows n selflessly deferring their limelight to Markus."

His freshman year, JJJ and Reinhardt took more shots than Markus, who was one of 7 Warriors to average between 8.7 and 13.2 ppg. That was an extremely balanced offensive team. The main reason Markus led the team at 13.2 ppg is because he shot a ridiculous 54.7% from 3-point range.

Why did Markus shoot 54.7% from 3-point range? Well, because he often was wide open thanks to all the other scoring options.

As a sophomore, Markus was not the primary ballhandler and didn't lead the team in scoring (he was 0.1 ppg behind Rowsey). Anybody who thinks Rowsey, an infamous chucker, spent the season "deferring" to Markus didn't watch the 2017-18 Warriors much. And Sam deferred to Rowsey at least as much as he deferred to Markus. The reason Sam was so wide open so often was because those two tiny guards were on the floor with him and had to be accounted for.

As a junior, yes, Markus had the ball all the time, and his favorite player to set up -- by far -- was himself. Some might not like that, but it was his job, and he took considerable pressure off the rest of the team. I would say that others deferred to him, probably too much in Sam's case ... though Sam did find the ball often enough to miss some huge, wide-open shots during our late-season fade. Scoopers who contend that we'd have been better this past season without Markus are smoking some really strong crack.

As for Markus' NBA chances ...

I agree he has a chance because he is elite at a skill that every team covets, and he also is highly intelligent. In the NBA, he would be used more like freshman Markus was -- he'd spot up outside the arc and be a catch-and-shoot guy. He could be some team's Craig Hodges. Not only wouldn't he be double-teamed, but he often would find himself completely unguarded as the defense focuses on others. And if he hits a couple 3s and has to be guarded, it opens up driving lanes for teammates. That's the whole idea behind offenses that spread the floor (as they all do now); just the threat of having an elite shooter can help a lot, even if he doesn't touch the ball.

Having said that, I think it's only a chance. I still think it won't be easy for him to even get on a roster, let alone to get minutes. He is tiny and he lacks NBA-level PG skills. Some GM will have to fall in love with him as an elite spot-up shooter and 3rd-string (or 4th-string) PG.

It certainly could happen, but unlike a few of my fellow Scoopers I wouldn't put my money on it. (Maybe a beer, though!!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #367 on: April 10, 2019, 02:27:59 PM »

I do not disagree at all.  All the we are better without Markus is a joke.  I heard it all year from Purdue fans about Edwards as well.  Sure that have bad games where they shoot you out of games but for everyone of those there are about 10 they win for you. Never was this more evident than during Purdues NCAA run.  I wished Markus had that opportunity.  With that said I think Edwards is a much better passer, ball handler and athlete than Markus.  They are both great college players and should take the time to smell the coffee and enjoy the process of improvement throughout college, beacuse neither one of them is a sure fire NBA player.  Which is OK very few are, they are gifts of nature. 
In my post i was more making light of the post than Markus.  Anything critical i have said has been my opinion and honest, hes a great college player and im glad hes on our team.  Just would hate to see a repeat of Vander Blue, who gave up a great senior year and an oppoetunity to play on a great team and an opportunity to continue to hone his skills before rushing into something that he might not quite be ready for.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #368 on: April 10, 2019, 02:31:25 PM »
First of all, Markus' teammates haven't spent the last 3 years "stepped to the shadows n selflessly deferring their limelight to Markus."

His freshman year, JJJ and Reinhardt took more shots than Markus, who was one of 7 Warriors to average between 8.7 and 13.2 ppg. That was an extremely balanced offensive team. The main reason Markus led the team at 13.2 ppg is because he shot a ridiculous 54.7% from 3-point range.

Why did Markus shoot 54.7% from 3-point range? Well, because he often was wide open thanks to all the other scoring options.

As a sophomore, Markus was not the primary ballhandler and didn't lead the team in scoring (he was 0.1 ppg behind Rowsey). Anybody who thinks Rowsey, an infamous chucker, spent the season "deferring" to Markus didn't watch the 2017-18 Warriors much. And Sam deferred to Rowsey at least as much as he deferred to Markus. The reason Sam was so wide open so often was because those two tiny guards were on the floor with him and had to be accounted for.

As a junior, yes, Markus had the ball all the time, and his favorite player to set up -- by far -- was himself. Some might not like that, but it was his job, and he took considerable pressure off the rest of the team. I would say that others deferred to him, probably too much in Sam's case ... though Sam did find the ball often enough to miss some huge, wide-open shots during our late-season fade. Scoopers who contend that we'd have been better this past season without Markus are smoking some really strong crack.

I agree he has a chance because he is elite at a skill that every team covets, and he also is highly intelligent. In the NBA, he would be used more like freshman Markus was -- he'd spot up outside the arc and be a catch-and-shoot guy. He could be some team's Craig Hodges. Not only wouldn't he be double-teamed, but he often would find himself completely unguarded as the defense focuses on others. And if he hits a couple 3s and has to be guarded, it opens up driving lanes for teammates. That's the whole idea behind offenses that spread the floor (as they all do now); just the threat of having an elite shooter can help a lot, even if he doesn't touch the ball.

Having said that, I think it's only a chance. I still think it won't be easy for him to even get on a roster, let alone to get minutes. He is tiny and he lacks NBA-level PG skills. Some GM will have to fall in love with him as an elite spot-up shooter and 3rd-string (or 4th-string) PG.

It certainly could happen, but unlike a few of my fellow Scoopers I wouldn't put my money on it. (Maybe a beer, though!!)

Agree with all of this.

I'll add that he would be fine not having elite PG skills. But for specific teams, e.g. Houston and the Lakers, where the star Harden/Lebron, are going to have the ball in there hands the majority of the time, and where what they really need is guys that will nail the 3, when those two kick the ball back out.

They don't need a traditional PG.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #369 on: April 10, 2019, 02:31:57 PM »
If Tre Jones and Ashton Hagans(true PG's) are staying in school, Markus would be wise to follow their lead. Tre and Ashton are both much better defenders, bigger, and true PG's. Tre at one point was projected to be a first round pick. Neither are even getting evaluations.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #370 on: April 10, 2019, 02:38:39 PM »

Sir. We dont use the d word around here.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #371 on: April 10, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »
If Tre Jones and Ashton Hagans(true PG's) are staying in school, Markus would be wise to follow their lead. Tre and Ashton are both much better defenders, bigger, and true PG's. Tre at one point was projected to be a first round pick. Neither are even getting evaluations.

And neither are 1/10th the shooter (or scorer) that Markus is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #372 on: April 10, 2019, 02:43:44 PM »
And neither are 1/10th the shooter (or scorer) that Markus is.

Nope, but neither obviously felt like they would get drafted at a spot to make it worth their while...Markus won't be drafted at all.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #373 on: April 10, 2019, 02:46:44 PM »

Agree Marcus should stay, but not because of those two's reasons.  They need to learn to shoot, both were terrible this year shooting.  They are just not ready for the NBA.  Marcus is ready with that skill, but needs to be a better PG.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #374 on: April 10, 2019, 03:17:47 PM »

Yeah a 5 foot 11 3 and D guy. makes sense. What NBA player out there is nearly as small and is a catch a shoot guy. No chance of that happening. His only Shot is to significantly improve his handling and PG abilities. and its a shot in the dark.