'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[Today at 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus  (Read 87510 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Markus
« Reply #325 on: April 10, 2019, 10:34:45 AM »
I'd be shocked if Howard doesn't get a look in the NBA. He may not stick, but his shooting/scoring ability is almost unmatched. Someone will take their chances on him to be a spark plug of a 2nd unit.

The NBA is full of shooters who can shoot.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #326 on: April 10, 2019, 10:36:00 AM »
12 pack of my choice, delivered to my front door (since I'm winning).
The modern NBA is all about shooting, and Markus is an elite shooter. He'll find his way onto an NBA roster at some point, even if only as a situational player.

So we talking 2nd round pick, summer league, or does he actually have to register minutes in the regular season.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #327 on: April 10, 2019, 10:37:12 AM »
So we talking 2nd round pick, summer league, or does he actually have to register minutes in the regular season.

Well come on, he has to play in an actual NBA game. Howard will hit the court in the NBA. I don't think he'll last a long time or latch on to long contracts, but he'll play. Every year dozens of obscure G-Leaguers get some burn to see what they're made of.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #328 on: April 10, 2019, 10:39:25 AM »

Not really. Only 20 (qualified) players in the league are shooting 40 percent or better from beyond the arc this year. That's out of 131 qualified shooters, so basically only 15 percent of them.
Only 49 are shooting better than 37.5 percent.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #329 on: April 10, 2019, 10:39:51 AM »

Play in a real NBA game.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #330 on: April 10, 2019, 10:55:45 AM »

Exactly. And Howard is as good as all of them. There's a reason the NBA is full of shooters.

He won't be playable in a playoff series when teams just seek out mismatches, but he'd be a solid regular season player.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #331 on: April 10, 2019, 11:18:58 AM »
Not really. Only 20 (qualified) players in the league are shooting 40 percent or better from beyond the arc this year. That's out of 131 qualified shooters, so basically only 15 percent of them.
Only 49 are shooting better than 37.5 percent.

So u think a guy that shot 41% over college defenders will shoot over 40% versus NBA athleticism and length from 3 feet farther back?
Doesnt stand to reason
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #332 on: April 10, 2019, 11:19:46 AM »
Which team did Rowsey play for this year?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #333 on: April 10, 2019, 11:29:53 AM »
Markus moved off this 2019 draft board shortly after the tournament loss.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

Markus is now on their 2020 draft board at 37. 

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #334 on: April 10, 2019, 11:33:04 AM »
So u think a guy that shot 41% over college defenders will shoot over 40% versus NBA athleticism and length from 3 feet farther back?
Doesnt stand to reason

If used as a spot up shooter when he's not always tasked with creating his own shot as the focal point of the opponent's defense ... Markus absolutely could shoot 40 percent or better in the NBA.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #335 on: April 10, 2019, 11:35:20 AM »
If used as a spot up shooter when he's not always tasked with creating his own shot as the focal point of the opponent's defense ... Markus absolutely could shoot 40 percent or better in the NBA.
Definitely. Especially with the lazy regular season D played in the NBA the first 3 quarters of each game
No Finish Line

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #336 on: April 10, 2019, 11:44:49 AM »
Which team did Rowsey play for this year?

Szolnoki Olaj in Hungary.
Not sure if you're trying to draw a parallel to Markus, but if you are, please note that Markus did virtually everything better as a 19-year-old this season than Andrew did last year as a 23-year-old.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #337 on: April 10, 2019, 11:47:56 AM »
Markus is younger than Rowsey.    He scored 5 points per game more than Rowsey.    Rowsey, at 23, handled the point better.    Markus played better defense.   Both have ridiculous range.    Both are well under 6 ft.    And I think that last is the crucial point.   How many sub 6 ft players are in the NBA.   Single digits.    How many are shooting guards, or lack elite PG skills?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #338 on: April 10, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »
Markus is younger than Rowsey.    He scored 5 points per game more than Rowsey.    Rowsey, at 23, handled the point better.    Markus played better defense.   Both have ridiculous range.    Both are well under 6 ft.    And I think that last is the crucial point.   How many sub 6 ft players are in the NBA.   Single digits.    How many are shooting guards, or lack elite PG skills?

Exactly. Their stats are very comparable. You can count on one hand the number of successful non-point guards below 6' in the NBA right now.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #339 on: April 10, 2019, 12:01:21 PM »
He won't be facing any double teams in the NBA. Defenses are keyed in on him now. He has range beyond the NBA line so that won't hurt him. The majority of his looks this year were behind the NBA line anyways. There will be more spacing. He'll be allowed to play off the ball a bit. Shot creation is a skill and there aren't many guys who can create space like Markus can.

He'll get drafted and he'll play NBA minutes whenever he chooses to go. The question is whether or not he'll stick. I'm not sure he will.

Tyler Ulis has played 133 games while shooting 28% from deep.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:05:19 PM by MUeagle1090 »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #340 on: April 10, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »
He won't be facing any double teams in the NBA. Defenses are keyed in on him now. He has range beyond the NBA line so that won't hurt him. The majority of his looks this year were behind the NBA line anyways. There will be more spacing. He'll be allowed to play off the ball a bit. Shot creation is a skill and there aren't many guys who can create space like Markus can.

He'll get drafted and he'll play NBA minutes whenever he chooses to go. The question is whether or not he'll stick. I'm not sure he will.

Tyler Unis is a point guard, not a small 2 guard which Markus really is.  Needs to improve his handle, learn how to pass to make a career in the NBA.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #341 on: April 10, 2019, 12:14:36 PM »
Tyler Unis is a point guard, not a small 2 guard which Markus really is.  Needs to improve his handle, learn how to pass to make a career in the NBA.

His handle is fine. It's actually pretty good in tight spaces. He struggles against pressure for sure but won't face much of that coming off the bench in the NBA. Totally agree on passing to make a career in the NBA. Maybe not so much the ability to pass but definitely needs to improve his court vision or willingness to pass.

All I'm saying is he'll get minutes. He'll get a shot. He may not stick. Hell. Vander got minutes for multiple teams.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #342 on: April 10, 2019, 12:18:57 PM »

Tyler ulis is also a PG. That's a pretty big thing. It's the reason vander blue couldn't find time.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #343 on: April 10, 2019, 12:20:21 PM »
Szolnoki Olaj in Hungary.
Not sure if you're trying to draw a parallel to Markus, but if you are, please note that Markus did virtually everything better as a 19-year-old this season than Andrew did last year as a 23-year-old.

Dead wrong.
Rowsey was a PG that nade mistakes yet had vision.  How quickly you forget Rowseys play making abilities.  How many great play making passes did Markus make this year.  Asked a different way how many times did Markus have a wide open teammates standing at tge rim and nit pass it to him? Versus how many times did that occur with Rowsey?
Additionally, the peopke that say Markus would not face double teams in the NBa?  Of cousre he wouldnt, why would a team do that?  They would guard him with a 6-4” to 6-7” 2G with arms longer than Jamal’s that would swarm the crap out of him looking to pad his steal and dunk numbers. 
Dont get me wrong, i like Markus but to say hes a PG with Rowseys vision or an undersized underatletic 2g that would not be swarmed by NBA athetes is a little silly.  The NBA guys under 6 foot have all been uber sthletes with uber quickness and great facilitators,  Markus is none if that.  In time he maybe, until then hed be a massive liability on an NBA court and that only speaks to his offense. The defense against agorementioned 2g, oh my
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:31:00 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #344 on: April 10, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »
His handle is fine. It's actually pretty good in tight spaces. He struggles against pressure for sure but won't face much of that coming off the bench in the NBA. Totally agree on passing to make a career in the NBA. Maybe not so much the ability to pass but definitely needs to improve his court vision or willingness to pass.

All I'm saying is he'll get minutes. He'll get a shot. He may not stick. Hell. Vander got minutes for multiple teams.

Markus's handle could be described in many ways fine and pretty good are not any of those words.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 10, 2019, 12:22:48 PM »
Play in a real NBA game.

We got ourselves a bet. What's the timeframe for him getting into the NBA before the bet closes.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #346 on: April 10, 2019, 12:25:10 PM »
Markus's handle could be described in many ways fine and pretty good are not any of those words.

Yeah, totally disagree. After the first 5 games of the season or so he rarely turned the ball over unless he was facing full court pressure or a trap at midcourt. He won't face those in the NBA.

He gets loose with it sometimes but he's more than capable. I would bet thousands of dollars he plays in an NBA game, barring injury. I'd bet Vegas would agree with me if they were setting odds as well.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #347 on: April 10, 2019, 12:26:28 PM »
Tyler ulis is also a PG. That's a pretty big thing. It's the reason vander blue couldn't find time.

But he did find time! He played for 3 different teams in the NBA!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #348 on: April 10, 2019, 12:31:47 PM »

His handle is poor to bad

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #349 on: April 10, 2019, 12:32:48 PM »
Yeah, totally disagree. After the first 5 games of the season or so he rarely turned the ball over unless he was facing full court pressure or a trap at midcourt. He won't face those in the NBA.

He gets loose with it sometimes but he's more than capable. I would bet thousands of dollars he plays in an NBA game, barring injury. I'd bet Vegas would agree with me if they were setting odds as well.

This is so wrong. On the turnovers
As far as the nba, he might get a chance he might even make it, by why take a flyer at best a year early, why the rush.  Get better have a great year and if he does develop nba potential maybe get a furst round pick.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:34:54 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »