[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus  (Read 87478 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Markus
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2019, 02:18:33 PM »
For those who always believe the sky is falling, have fun reading between the lines of Stan's latest tweet. What does it mean?!? Who's he talking about?!? OMG!!! OMG!!!

Stan Johnson @MUCoachJohnson • 7h
An honest enemy is always better than a friend who lies. Pay less attention to what people say, and more attention to what they do. Their actions will show you the truth.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%40MUCoachJohnson&src=typd

Bo Ryan > Greg Gard -- Stan's wading into the coaching debates

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2019, 02:36:07 PM »
For those who always believe the sky is falling, have fun reading between the lines of Stan's latest tweet. What does it mean?!? Who's he talking about?!? OMG!!! OMG!!!

An honest enemy is always better than a friend who lies. Pay less attention to what people say, and more attention to what they do. Their actions will show you the truth.

OMG, Stan is talking about us!

Stan is talking about us!
Stan is talking about SCOOP!
Soylent Green is people!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »

Right now, here on Scoop...even the Wojo “apologists” have been grumpy and grumbling about our March collapse.

It is easy to see how a young mind would think We Scoopers are all acting like enemies of these fine young men who represent our beloved school. But in the end, all of us are just being honest with how we feel. Don’t pay attention to what we say. Pay attention to what we do...
Sell out FiservForum.
Show up for games in the worst winter weather.
Donate a couple bucks for scholarships to our student athletes.
In a word, care.
Get off our butts and get loud.
Truly support this program.

Surely we all spoke the truth. The team crapped their pants....multiple times with a lot on the line. Markus maybe got a bit selfish....Sam and Joey maybe got frustrated. Whatever...@&#$ happens.

We at Scoop have vented...we’re not your friends.....we’re hear to provide the noise.....you didn’t ignore it and play %@&! out like the coaches thought you would. Guess what, as a famous man once said...we’re the critic....it is not the critic who counts.....we know not what it means to be in the arena....well, ok, we can get inside FF...

But that is the point....pay no attention to what we say, but watch what we do.....we will be inside Fiserv Forum next year....offering not our critique but our unwavering support....our actions will show these young men the truth....

WE ARE MARQUETTE!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2019, 04:48:46 PM »
Markus text to Stan:  Need to talk about going pro

Stan reply: Cool, let's meet in front of the Al statue

Markus: Perf, but let's wait til 3pm, at the end of study hall of Volleyball, Soccer and Track

Stan: I like it, also, I'm going to talk very loud

Markus: K, and I'm going to keep the conversation going long enough for the entire ticket staff to come out and see what's up

Stan: Deal.  Or shall I say...#DoneDeal

Markus: Sweet use of an ellipsis and a top 5 #mubb meme

Stan: I'm not just a well dressed recruiter, I'm also a big connoisseur of DoddsOnSports, it's where I get all my juicy #mubb news

Markus: I'm ride or die Scoop so meeting or not, I'm going pro

Stan opens Uber App: [orders Uber Select to Arby's]

Bueno.  Very good
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2019, 11:06:40 PM »
Markus fell from 40th to off the board on the latest 2019 mock draft update.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

Ponds also fell to out of board.

2020 mock has not been updated.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Marquetteauburn

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2019, 11:14:33 PM »
As you all remember, I broke the Vander news in 2013, much to Scoop's raucous calls of Bullsnit.

Well, I'm back again and i have news. Bad news for us scoopers:

Markus is gone to the draft.

Whether it's a good idea or bad idea, we've seen the last of Markus in Blue and Gold.

Do with this what you will. M2N

I'd been told he was looking at the draft from a good NBA-related source too, but as others have said, that does not matter at all any more unless someone signs an agent or scouts tell him he will make it. Hey, if he goes out and has some days where he looks like a poor mans Seth Curry, yeah, there is a risk However, I do believe it's more likely he gets great guidance and I do believe he is a solid nba player after one more year to take what he learns in camp. Remember, Vander really begged scouts to tell him he was a first rounder, and later just said he really just wanted to move on. I don't think that's likely, and I believe he will come back an even better player for MU next year with specific improvements that will also make him a legit NBA player with another year under his belt.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2019, 05:54:10 PM »
Markus ran out of gas.  Not sure if he was worn out or banged up.  He just didn't have "it" the last 8 games or so.  He wasn't the only one.  Makes you wonder if our conditioning program is not as good as we were led to believe.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2019, 06:05:04 PM »
My friend who goes to marquette was at the Al and saw stan and markus arguing about him staying. Stan was telling him that if he stays we would be a top team with Greg and Koby being able to play next season but markus looked very frustrated and said he talked about it with his family after the murray state game. Sounds like he's gone

Pretty sure this is how someone broke the Vander news. This is well done.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2019, 06:22:58 PM »
I'd been told he was looking at the draft from a good NBA-related source too, but as others have said, that does not matter at all any more unless someone signs an agent or scouts tell him he will make it. Hey, if he goes out and has some days where he looks like a poor mans Seth Curry, yeah, there is a risk However, I do believe it's more likely he gets great guidance and I do believe he is a solid nba player after one more year to take what he learns in camp. Remember, Vander really begged scouts to tell him he was a first rounder, and later just said he really just wanted to move on. I don't think that's likely, and I believe he will come back an even better player for MU next year with specific improvements that will also make him a legit NBA player with another year under his belt.

So if he declares for the draft and goes undrafted, he will not return?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2019, 07:05:25 PM »
Markus ran out of gas.  Not sure if he was worn out or banged up.  He just didn't have "it" the last 8 games or so.  He wasn't the only one.  Makes you wonder if our conditioning program is not as good as we were led to believe.
I think the analogy is it was like a pitcher who pitched too many innings. They ran Certain kids too hard too long.
            ---Al McGuire

CrowdOf5

• Starter
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2019, 08:28:21 PM »
Pretty sure this is how someone broke the Vander news. This is well done.

Yep

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2019, 08:37:52 PM »
I think the analogy is it was like a pitcher who pitched too many innings. They ran Certain kids too hard too long.

+1 Wojo will have guards next year, lets one of them can run the point.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2019, 04:12:53 AM »

Other teams do it.  Why did our kids burn out?

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2019, 06:50:11 AM »
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Markus pass out at 31 Flavors last night while talking to a pro scout. I guess it's pretty serious.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2019, 07:29:34 AM »

I can't speak for our other players, but Markus plays PG and is therefore facing constant pressure and is also regularly sprinting through multiple screens when he doesn't have the ball and is chasing opponents guards on D.  I may be wrong, but it feels like he puts more miles on the odometer per minute than do our other players (and I imagine most players on other teams) when he is playing.  Watching live, I thought he looked banged up and was not fluid in his running/movements in the Big East Tournament.  Whether that is conditioning or a nagging injury, I don't know. 

Not making excuses, but cutting down his minutes so he's only playing 32 min in the major conference games because we have a bench that can play for him has to be a good thing.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2019, 10:11:10 AM »
I for one, would like to see Markus back next year. I'd like to see him both on and off the ball but with fewer minutes as some have said. It will keep him fresh, help in avoiding fouls, anf above all reduce the hits. And he will have a more experienced team around him. 
Yesterday's classic battle between MSU and Duke was a superb chess match between Coach Wojo's mentor and the crafty Tom Izzo who always reminded me a little of Coach Al's approach. In the end, you must count on your floor general to prevail. Al did this with Butch Lee who was a junior when we won the NCAA championship. Coach Izzo did this with the experienced junior Cassius Winston yesterday.
Markus is better all around player than either Butch or Cassius but not a better leader as junior.
One more year Markus.             

MU82

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2019, 10:31:34 AM »
In the end, you must count on your floor general to prevail. Coach Izzo did this with the experienced junior Cassius Winston yesterday.

Tre Jones had a tremendous game in the previous round and was one reason, maybe even the main reason, that Duke advanced.

He had 4 points yesterday and was obviously outclassed by Winston, supporting your point, Doggy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 01, 2019, 10:36:27 AM »
Howard is a better overall player than Butch Lee was? I think I read your post correctly, but possibly not. Did you mean Brian Butch that played for UW? Butch Lee, floor general?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2019, 10:37:59 AM »

Markus is better all around player than either Butch or Cassius but not a better leader as junior.

Markus is a better scorer than those guys, but not sure where you are getting that he is a better all around player than either of them.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2019, 11:18:58 AM »
Markus lands at #86 in the Top 100 Prospects list on ESPN.  Just ahead of Cassius Winston and Ethan Happ.
Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz wrote an 'NBA Draft Stock Watch: Intel on Top 100 Prospects' article, but it's an ESPN+ article that I won't pay for.

So if anyone on here has ESPN+ and wants to share with us what it says related to Markus, that'd be great.
Unless the guy truly hates school (he doesn't) and the college experience (he doesn't) ala Vander, it seems obvious what his choice should be.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2019, 12:06:59 PM »
Markus lands at #86 in the Top 100 Prospects list on ESPN.  Just ahead of Cassius Winston and Ethan Happ.
Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz wrote an 'NBA Draft Stock Watch: Intel on Top 100 Prospects' article, but it's an ESPN+ article that I won't pay for.

So if anyone on here has ESPN+ and wants to share with us what it says related to Markus, that'd be great.
Unless the guy truly hates school (he doesn't) and the college experience (he doesn't) ala Vander, it seems obvious what his choice should be.

Agree with ONEPOST. We need ESPN+ Article.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2019, 12:08:44 PM »

Nothing written on Markus.  The ESPN+ article stops its writeups at #32 (which would be the end of the 1st round).

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2019, 12:53:15 PM »
As others have pointed out One kid is beaten up pretty hard every time he goes into the paint ;and two other kids started off the season coming off of major hip and foot injuries. Pretty straightforward analysis.
            ---Al McGuire

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2019, 01:53:05 PM »

Can't a third reason to leave would be to make money professionally? The guy was BEast Player of the Year. I doubt his NBA stock gets any higher next year as he will be the same height but a year older. If you could get a job in your chosen field a year earlier, would you have stayed at Marquette? Sure I liked my time at MU, but if I could've gotten out a year early with a job lined up I would've been done in 3.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2019, 01:57:09 PM »
Can't a third reason to leave would be to make money professionally? The guy was BEast Player of the Year. I doubt his NBA stock gets any higher next year as he will be the same height but a year older. If you could get a job in your chosen field a year earlier, would you have stayed at Marquette? Sure I liked my time at MU, but if I could've gotten out a year early with a job lined up I would've been done in 3.
Oh sure, but you most likely needed a degree that you would not have had to get that job.  Apples and oranges.