'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Villanova  (Read 7390 times)

drbob

• Scholarship Player
Villanova
« on: March 23, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
Villanova getting creamed by Purdue.  Must be Jay Wright is a lousy coach also !!  Guess Wojo has company.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Villanova
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 09:30:27 PM »
Well after Wojo wins two national titles in 3 years, along with several BE championships too, myself and others on this board sick of his bad coaching act will cut him slack.

Not only that they’re getting their ass handed to them by a 3 seed, not a 12

Nice try at throwing cold water on the critics though

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 09:32:27 PM »
Villanova getting creamed by Purdue.  Must be Jay Wright is a lousy coach also !!  Guess Wojo has company.

Sadly, it seems we need to state the obvious now. Nova, as a 6 seed, losing to a good 3 seed in Purdue is expected. Sure, they probably should have kept it closer, but Wright's resume shows he is capable of winning these big games, even if he doesn't win them all. Wojo, on the other hand, doesn't exactly have a great track record in the NCAAs. His criticism is still well deserved until he proves himself more capable.

drbob

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 09:50:52 PM »
Maybe the program is that scoopers had irrational enthusiasm all year . Wojo is trying to improve recruiting but Joey is not a one and done, Markus is not a first round pick,and Sam has trouble off the dribble. Theo and Ed have no game outside of 5 feet. Maybe Marquette is harder to recruit to than we think . Haven’t seen consistent recruiting since the Al years during which I was a student

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 09:54:49 PM »
Maybe the program is that scoopers had irrational enthusiasm all year . Wojo is trying to improve recruiting but Joey is not a one and done, Markus is not a first round pick,and Sam has trouble off the dribble. Theo and Ed have no game outside of 5 feet. Maybe Marquette is harder to recruit to than we think . Haven’t seen consistent recruiting since the Al years during which I was a student

That’s the coaches job to improve all of those flaws.

The Al years of recruiting are so long gone. You’ve got to take guys and get them better. Way it is for schools all over country not named Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, and Kentucky

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 10:10:31 PM »
Maybe Marquette is harder to recruit to than we think .

If someone can recruit to Lawrence F#cking Kansas then Milwaukee is a cake walk.

It's not the location. Who would willingly move to East Lansing, West Lafayette, or Spokane?

Fact is, the Big East is way down this year. We got 3.5 slots and were slaughtered in the first weekend.

It really makes one wonder just how indicative was our magical run in January and February? Perhaps, we were just a shade better than a very pedestrian group. 

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 10:12:36 PM »
Wow can’t believe this is a topic worth discussing.  Really?  Villanova gets creamed in a down year after 4 guys go to the nba and after 2 of 3 years winning a national championship, but they win the big east and advance to the round of 32 and we are going to compare this to Wojo’s tenure at Marquette? Hahahahahaha

drbob

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 10:13:27 PM »
We were there once. But nobody has been able to get us  there again in 42 years, not just Wojo. BOT won’t let him recruit the jc ranks and he just missed on Grimes Mannion and Tillman,each of which would be a difference maker

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 10:53:10 PM »
drbob
Thanks for joining discussion tonight and starting the thread. Always nice to get some new blood on the board.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 10:57:40 PM »
We were there once. But nobody has been able to get us  there again in 42 years, not just Wojo. BOT won’t let him recruit the jc ranks and he just missed on Grimes Mannion and Tillman,each of which would be a difference maker

There is nothing stopping Wojo from recruiting JUCOs as long as they academically qualify. Wojo has kicked the tires on several JUCOs, including one in the the last few month. A few years ago Wojo had a JUCO on campus for an official visit.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

drbob

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 11:27:50 PM »
Thanks Goose for the welcome but I am actually very old blood, not new .  Have followed scoop for a long time, just rarely post. Been a die hard Warrior since 1968.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 11:30:14 PM »
Something to potentially worry about: Nova in a "down year" still won the BE and made it the the second round

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 11:44:04 PM »
Thanks Goose for the welcome but I am actually very old blood, not new .  Have followed scoop for a long time, just rarely post. Been a die hard Warrior since 1968.

Great...another "Old Man"

drbob

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 11:59:33 PM »
Have a problem with “Old Men”????

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 12:06:54 AM »

people apparently get triggered by the “o” word around here.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 12:39:08 AM »
Maybe Marquette is harder to recruit to than we think . Haven’t seen consistent recruiting since the Al years.

That's been painfully obvious since Mark Aguirre picked DePaul in 1978 and Marquette went steadily down hill and crashed under Dukiet. We've had little success in the Chicago area since then -- Doc & DWade -- and none in New York. Relying mainly on Wisconsin high schools and the Michigan/ Mich. St. leftovers in Detroit isn't going to get us very far.  The results of the past several weeks are rather convincing.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 12:49:18 AM »

Depends. How much can you bench press?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 12:54:18 AM »

15-3 is his NCAA record last 4 years. Enough said

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 12:57:04 AM »
We've had little success in the Chicago area

The Hatchett Man

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 12:58:50 AM »
15-3 is his NCAA record last 4 years. Enough said

And yet even the great ones can have down years, even multiple ones in a row.  Enough said
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 03:30:56 AM »
Depends. How much can you bench press?

Keefe, I knew you were older but I didn't think you needed adult diapers yet.  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 08:09:51 AM »
Are you sure it wasn't 67 or 69? Be wary of Chicos, Cheebs  JG or whatever moniker he uses
If you do not remember exactly when your fandom began, he will call you out, especially if it was back in the Kojis days.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 08:22:50 AM »
There is nothing stopping Wojo from recruiting JUCOs as long as they academically qualify. Wojo has kicked the tires on several JUCOs, including one in the the last few month. A few years ago Wojo had a JUCO on campus for an official visit.

Is my memory failing?

Didn't the BOT even up the elegibility standard above NCAA requirements when BUZZ was coaching?  The concept was to make the Big East, Ivy League-lite.

Now the eagles come home to roost. 

I don't think WOJO wants to leave Marquette, but it would not suprise me if he left the Big East.

Everything is not about money, as Buzz showed.  A man has to live with himself for the rest of his life.  Buzz played the cards the BOT dealt him.  WOJO is playing the hand now.  No risk, no reward, period.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 08:31:46 AM »
. We've had little success in the Chicago area since then -- Doc & DWade -- and none in New York. Relying mainly on Wisconsin high schools and the Michigan/ Mich. St. leftovers in Detroit isn't going to get us very far. 

Those crummy WI kids- McIllvaine, Key, Logterman, Pieper, Diener, Novak, Hauser brothers, Wes Matthews, Vander, Jamil Wilson. Yeah, what  a bunch of stiffs WI has given us we’ve just found no team success with.

Chicago area- Our for now all time leading scorer- McNeal.

Until Elliott and Cain we’ve hardly had anything from MI - Grimm and Brandon Bell.  Before that Crawford.  That’s about it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:34:29 AM by HutchwasClutch »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 08:49:01 AM »
Those crummy WI kids- McIllvaine, Key, Logterman, Pieper, Diener, Novak, Hauser brothers, Wes Matthews, Vander, Jamil Wilson. Yeah, what  a bunch of stiffs WI has given us we’ve just found no team success with.

Chicago area- Our for now all time leading scorer- McNeal.

Until Elliott and Cain we’ve hardly had anything from MI - Grimm and Brandon Bell.  Before that Crawford.  That’s about it.

That was then, this is now, good luck lookin in Rice Lake.