[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Viewership of MU game in first round, second highest  (Read 3115 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Viewership of MU game in first round, second highest
« on: March 25, 2019, 07:14:51 PM »
People were talking about ROI the last few days.  I contend with the number of ticket sales this year (highest in years), engagement with the brand (clips, social, ratings of video) that things have been as good as we have seen in quite some time.

I saw the streaming results for the first round games today and MU-MSU was the second most watched game on our platforms.  No doubt many wanted to see Ja, and it stinks they saw our poor second half performance.  That said, don't short sell the number of eyeballs that have been on the team this year with one of our guys going for 50+, or miracle finishes in Omaha, etc.  It won't wow you, but isn't chopped liver, either....at least in college basketball terms.  Nothing compares to NFL, college football, etc.

Bonus points if anyone guesses what was the most watched game in first round....the result surprised me.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:21:27 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Viewership of MU game on Thursday, second highest
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:16:38 PM »
People were talking about ROI the last few days.  I contend with the number of ticket sales this year (highest in years), engagement with the brand (clips, social, ratings of video) that things have been as good as we have seen in quite some time.

I saw the streaming results for the Thursday games today and MU-MSU was the second most watched game on our platforms.  No doubt many wanted to see Ja, and it stinks they saw our poor second half performance.  That said, don't short sell the number of eyeballs that have been on the team this year with one of our guys going for 50+, or miracle finishes in Omaha, etc.  It won't wow you, but isn't chopped liver, either....at least in college basketball terms.  Nothing compares to NFL, college football, etc.

Bonus points if anyone guesses what was the most watched game on Thursday....the result surprised me.

Badgers?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Viewership of MU game in first round, second highest
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 07:20:58 PM »
Badgers?

Nope, and let me clarify I should have said first round, not just Thursday.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 07:22:53 PM »
Agreed we should hang a banner.

NCAA Tournament 2nd Most Streamed 1st Round Game:

Waste no good opportunity aina?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 07:25:01 PM »

Sure, if that makes you feel good....no one is stopping you. 

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 08:41:48 PM »
Nope, and let me clarify I should have said first round, not just Thursday.

Minn / Ville?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 08:52:14 PM »
Duke/ND State.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »

I saw the streaming results for the first round games today and MU-MSU was the second most watched game on our platforms.  No doubt many wanted to see Ja, and it stinks they saw our poor second half performance.  That said, don't short sell the number of eyeballs that have been on the team this year with one of our guys going for 50+, or miracle finishes in Omaha, etc.  It won't wow you, but isn't chopped liver, either....at least in college basketball terms.  Nothing compares to NFL, college football, etc.

Bonus points if anyone guesses what was the most watched game in first round....the result surprised me.

People always love a good trainwreck
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 09:06:18 PM »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 09:16:55 PM »
Buffalo

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 09:18:02 PM »
Virginia vs Gardner Webb

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 09:22:18 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for sharing

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 10:27:36 PM »
The correct answer was the Florida game.  7 vs 10

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 06:39:12 AM »
2nd round. UCF vs Duke.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 07:13:15 AM »

Yes for Ja, but also Markus.  It was billed as the best individual match-up of the first round.  And, for the first 16 minutes of the game, it lived up to the hype.

(next time Markus should weal a Zion/Duke jersey because you can foul on every play and never get called ... but I digress)

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 07:33:24 AM »
Wasn't it likely because we were the "bridge" game between the afternoon and evening games?  A good chunk of our game we were the only ones playing, IIRC.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »
Dumb question for you Cheeks: how do the CBS games figure into that?  I used the NCAA MM app but CBS games were blacked out.  Do your platforms allow streaming of the CBS games or was that a limitation of my service provider (Comcast)?

Most of the CBS games were snoozers (KY/Abilene, Duke/NDST), but it also carried the biggest upset (K-State/UC-I) and near-upset (MSU/Bradley).

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 10:21:03 AM »
The correct answer was the Florida game.  7 vs 10

Source?

I came across a site that seemed to think Duke/NDST was the winner for the first round.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 10:22:40 AM »
Wasn't it likely because we were the "bridge" game between the afternoon and evening games?  A good chunk of our game we were the only ones playing, IIRC.

World Speaking --- MU basketball is popular with people with no attachment to the university. They know who our players are and have a favorable opinion of the program.  MU has a star in Markus Howard and they want to specifically watch this game.

Typical MU/Wisconsin inferiority complex fan --- This must be a mistake.  It has to be special circumstances, like the time of day the game is on TV, or they fell on their head and are confused.  No, it's Ja Morant.  Never mind that Markus was a bigger name until four minutes before the half, the world thought the game was Ja Morant against the Washington Generals.

It can never be that random people think MU is good and desirable to watch.  They all think MU is the team from Michigan's UP.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 11:56:45 AM »
Dumb question for you Cheeks: how do the CBS games figure into that?  I used the NCAA MM app but CBS games were blacked out.  Do your platforms allow streaming of the CBS games or was that a limitation of my service provider (Comcast)?

Most of the CBS games were snoozers (KY/Abilene, Duke/NDST), but it also carried the biggest upset (K-State/UC-I) and near-upset (MSU/Bradley).

This doesn't account for those from any other provider.  However, what normally happens is the other providers line up statistically the same. There are some exceptions to that rule, of course.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 11:57:59 AM »
World Speaking --- MU basketball is popular with people with no attachment to the university. They know who our players are and have a favorable opinion of the program.  MU has a star in Markus Howard and they want to specifically watch this game.

Typical MU/Wisconsin inferiority complex fan --- This must be a mistake.  It has to be special circumstances, like the time of day the game is on TV, or they fell on their head and are confused.  No, it's Ja Morant.  Never mind that Markus was a bigger name until four minutes before the half, the world thought the game was Ja Morant against the Washington Generals.

It can never be that random people think MU is good and desirable to watch.  They all think MU is the team from Michigan's UP.
I go to an NCAA watching party every opening Thursday and host one every opening Friday.  The East Coast dinner time game is always the one where we are not watching multiple channels for the bulk of it because it is the only game on.  It is the first game that those who work can catch, too.  I'm not surprised it is a highly rated game.  Only reason I mentioned it.  I don't know anyone around here who was particularly primed for our game compared to any other, other than Marquette fans.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »
I go to an NCAA watching party every opening Thursday and host one every opening Friday.  The East Coast dinner time game is always the one where we are not watching multiple channels for the bulk of it because it is the only game on.  It is the first game that those who work can catch, too.  I'm not surprised it is a highly rated game.  Only reason I mentioned it.  I don't know anyone around here who was particularly primed for our game compared to any other, other than Marquette fans.

The buzz for our game was it could be the best first round game to watch because the two highest scorers in the nation were going head to head, the 12/5 upset.  If you go back to last week and look for previews of NCAA games, the "game to watch" was almost universally listed as ours.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 01:33:30 PM »
This doesn't account for those from any other provider.  However, what normally happens is the other providers line up statistically the same. There are some exceptions to that rule, of course.

Sorry, let me clarify:

Were the CBS games a streaming option as part of your numbers?  To say those two games were the the "most streamed" if 4 of the 16 games weren't a streaming option for some or all of your platforms/customers is fairly meaningless.  (FL/NV was on TNT, MU/MSU on TBS.)

Not trying to be rude, just totally clueless as to how the rights restrictions work for different networks, providers, platforms, etc.  IMO, those streaming numbers only have value if all 16 first round games were equally accessible on streaming platforms, which was not the case in my personal instance.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 02:14:33 PM »
MU's game was tied for 6th in the actual TV ratings for the First Round.  Duke/ND State was - by a wide margin - #1, followed by Wofford/Seton Hall.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com

Fri
Duke/NDState 1.7
UNC/Iona 1.0
Oregon/UW-Madison 0.9

Thu
Wofford/Seton Hall 1.2
Florida/Nevada 1.1
Nova/St. Mary's 1.0
UK/Abilene 0.9
MU/Murray 0.9
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback