[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What grade do you give Marquette basketball this year

A+
0 (0%)
A
1 (0.4%)
A-
14 (5.9%)
B+
65 (27.2%)
B
73 (30.5%)
B-
45 (18.8%)
C+
20 (8.4%)
C
10 (4.2%)
C-
7 (2.9%)
D+
2 (0.8%)
D
0 (0%)
D-
0 (0%)
F
2 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 239

Voting closed: March 24, 2017, 11:10:09 PM

Author Topic: MU BBALL 2017 GRADE  (Read 8714 times)

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: MU BBALL 2017 GRADE
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 09:15:46 AM »
Our defense needs to really get better next season. The defense looked non existent at some times throughout the season

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »
B+?  B-?  What is this?

We are Marquette.

I give this team a BC

LOL

I went to MU in the early 80s and kinda assumed that bizarre grading system was a relic by now...but just looked it up and see that they're still using it.  I'm changing my vote from B+ to AB.

rocket190

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 11:36:02 AM »
For the life of me I can't figure out how anyone could grade this season above a C. I wouldn't want to be a boss for most of the people on this forum if our sights are set so low.

We barely made the tournament and flamed out in epic fashion in both BE tournament and big dance. We spend more than nearly every team in the country, have top notch facilities, and a great area from which to recruit.

Our expectations and results should be much higher.  I think that's part of the problem. Half the stakeholders in this team thought getting into the tournament is good enough...

Class71

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »
For the life of me I can't figure out how anyone could grade this season above a C. I wouldn't want to be a boss for most of the people on this forum if our sights are set so low.

We barely made the tournament and flamed out in epic fashion in both BE tournament and big dance. We spend more than nearly every team in the country, have top notch facilities, and a great area from which to recruit.

Our expectations and results should be much higher.  I think that's part of the problem. Half the stakeholders in this team thought getting into the tournament is good enough...

Don't worry you are not the boss.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »
All things considered, a B.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 12:35:47 PM »

And most wouldn't want you for a boss, so that's good, there is common ground. 
  From my perspective, 11 months ago, when Heisy/DPR was panicking again, I predicted that MU would be better this year and a fringe NCAA team.   In my preseason predictions, I predicted problems with the pick and roll defense.   I predicted that defensive rebounding deficiencies would cost MU 4 games and would be the difference between 18 wins and 22.    IMO, with the make up of this roster, this team performed to it's ceiling.    That is all I can ask of any given team, to maximize it's potential.   

I would like MU to be on a par with Villanova.    I understand that will take time.     This season was a step in the right direction.  There are still miles to go.    B+
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »

Don't mistake commendation for satisfaction. All of us expect Marquette to be a Final Four contender every season. That is the level we are expecting to get to. We also understand that it will take time to get there. So will recognize and enjoy the milestones as Wojo gets to them. The expectation is that Wojo will continue to pass them. If he doesn't, his butt will be out on the street looking for a new job.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 01:31:57 PM »
I said B-.  I figured we'd be a bubble team and ended up on the right side and in the tournament, so slightly better than average expectation, but as Lenny said, we were healthy all year and nothing out of our control went against us.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »
4 year old in the back seat.  "Are we there yet?  I wanna be there.   When are gonna get there?  It's not fair.  We should be there by now."

With about as much effect on actually getting there.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket190

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »
I didn't say that I was unhappy with the progress the team has made, but grades are assigned on performance not expectation.

If an imbecile is given an algebra test and is expected to fail, but instead exceeds expectations and gets a 70%....what is the grade? The grade is 70%, not 90% for exceeding expectations.

Certain aspects of this season are B+, but as an objective whole, this was an average season at best.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »
B-.

This was a successful season on the whole: we got in the Big Dance, got ourselves back in the national conversation, showed we have the young components to build for the next 3 seasons. Largely, this team played to its talent level on offense and defense.

Minus for pissing down our leg on the national scene.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 02:16:14 PM »
I didn't say that I was unhappy with the progress the team has made, but grades are assigned on performance not expectation.

If an imbecile is given an algebra test and is expected to fail, but instead exceeds expectations and gets a 70%....what is the grade? The grade is 70%, not 90% for exceeding expectations.

Certain aspects of this season are B+, but as an objective whole, this was an average season at best.

Well sure. But my guess is that you don't give a college level algebra test to a high schooler. Like it or not, each season is not graded on the same scale.
TAMU

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 03:52:36 PM »
Poll bump...last one

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2017, 03:59:32 PM »
Well sure. But my guess is that you don't give a college level algebra test to a high schooler. Like it or not, each season is not graded on the same scale.

Algebra is a high school course.  It shouldn't be being taken in college.  Not sure that is a good example.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »
Does MU still give out grades such as AB, BC, and CD? If so, going with BC. Offense was very good when three-pointers were falling, but as has been noted, defense needs lots of work.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2017, 04:18:36 PM »
Algebra is a high school course.  It shouldn't be being taken in college.  Not sure that is a good example.

It's like giving an ACT to Derrick Rose. Better?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2017, 05:40:23 PM »

Can you tell I was a comm major? ;D
TAMU

chapman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2017, 11:51:32 PM »
Gave it a B.

Pros:
Met or exceeded expectations overall
Made the postseason, and NCAA tournament at that
Two very promising freshmen
Hit the transfers quite well.  Rowsey in particular, and he'll be back
First MU team in a long time that could shoot
Exceeded conference place projection
Got a court storming in

Cons:
Multiple players regressed, and dramatically.  Cheatham expected to take the next step to becoming a star, yet regresses to the bottom of the rotation.  Wilson, a guy who could go for 30 and who you wanted to take the last shot, becomes a role player.  Cohen was off track ending last year, which continued until he was out           
Team was abysmal defensively
Several very hard to watch meltdowns, either with the lead or after competing for a half

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2017, 12:26:52 AM »
Gave them a C+ three games ago and now a C. Not angry about last two losses, but really shows how much work is left to be done. Coaching needs to improve, talent level improve and major need for athletic players.

IMO there is a lot more work needed to be done than most on here believe. Watching games the last two days and it is quite obvious to me that we are not in same league as many of the tourney teams.

Hate the fact that I still care so much that I will be up for two hours stewing over the overall place our program is at in big picture.

Agree much work needs to be done. That's almost always the case for every team.

I drove the 2 hours from Greenville to Charlotte, got home at 2:48 a.m., my head hit the pillow at 2:58 a.m. and I'm guessing I was sound asleep by 2:58:30 a.m.

No stewing. It's basketball. Besides, I enjoyed the season, and I like the direction Wojo is taking the program.

I gave a solid B.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2017, 12:35:19 AM »
in general a fun team to watch, especially against finesse teams like Vanderbilt or Creighton. But let's not kid ourselves. We were healthy all year. We played Xavier once without Bluiett and Sumner, once without Sumner. We played Creighton twice without Watson. We went 4-0 in those games. I know, I know - we still had to win those games, injuries are part of the game, etc., but in assessing progress I assume a luck neutral even playing field - and with one, we're no better than an 8-10 Big East team who watches the big tournament on TV. A- for offense, D for defense, C+ overall.

The X win at home was definitely a fortuitous situation because they didn't have Blueitt. By the time we played X the second time, Blueitt was back, they had had a full month to adjust to playing without Sumner and it was at their place. It was close to a must win for us, and our lads delivered. Ask Maryland and Florida State how crappy X is without Sumner.

The Watson situation was kind of similar. We were very lucky in that the first meeting with Creighton was in the first game after Watson's injury. But again, the rematch came more than a month later. They have a good coach and plenty of time to adjust. They had won at Butler in the interim. Etc. I don't discount our second win over them even one iota.

We were healthy but we had plenty of bad luck this season, too. I think I remember reading on some threads this season that we were near the bottom of NCAA "luck rankings," whatever they are.

I am not one who says we "should have won" this game or that game. If we should have won 'em, we would have. Similarly, I am not one to say we "should have lost" to Nova or whomever. Our record was 10-8 because that's what we earned and that's what we deserved.

Solid B for Wojo and the lads.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

connie

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2017, 07:00:26 AM »
A solid B+.  A tourney bid after wandering in the wilderness earns at least a B.  Wojo's changing things up after we got stuck in quicksand, as well as a crazy offense and a few great wins, have to raise the grade.  Progress, and excitement for next year give the plus despite the defense and the few games we let slip by.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2017, 07:51:46 AM »
LOL

I went to MU in the early 80s and kinda assumed that bizarre grading system was a relic by now...but just looked it up and see that they're still using it.  I'm changing my vote from B+ to AB.

The ironic thing is that they are changing it to '+,-' next year to be consistent with other universities.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2017, 07:54:15 AM »
I'd give it a b+. Made the tourny with a good first half. I had fun at Jackson's behind some older people. So it was fun

You were there and didn't come over to introduce yourself?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2017, 08:07:39 AM »

A Big B +

Overcame a lot of Warts.  Proud of the Overachievers.

The program continues to show improvement from the previous year.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:26 AM »

Check out Texas
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust