* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seat Selection Process -  (Read 58177 times)

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
Re: Seat Selection Process -
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2016, 08:25:19 AM »
Angelo's had terrible pizza.
who cared when u were plastered?

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2016, 08:39:21 AM »
Xavier can charge higher prices because their fans will pay it. That simple. Last I checked their stadium didn't look like a ghost time 85 percent of the time.
Well, one is a 10,250 seat on-campus arena and the other seats 19,000. One is in it's best conference and winning at new heights in school history.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:41:10 AM by bradley center bat »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #202 on: June 08, 2016, 10:29:17 AM »
Well, one is a 10,250 seat on-campus arena and the other seats 19,000. One is in it's best conference and winning at new heights in school history.

They have done extremely well even when they were in the Atlantic 10. So if by new heights you mean the last 15 years, you are correct.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #203 on: June 08, 2016, 10:56:17 AM »

They have done extremely well even when they were in the Atlantic 10. So if by new heights you mean the last 15 years, you are correct.

They're now in a major conference, by definition that is new heights
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2016, 11:05:13 AM »

Correct and being ranked in the Top 5 in the polls for the first time ever and now being in the Big East Conference with all games playing on FOX, FS1, CBSSN, etc. TV wise they got lost a bit in the A-10.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:14:20 AM by bradley center bat »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2016, 10:51:03 AM »
Ummm...actually, X did sell out most games this season...and overall drew more than the full capacity of Cintas for the season. http://www.goxavier.com/news/2016/3/15/mens-basketball-record-setting-season-for-cintas-center-attendance.aspx

Could be that MU outdraws them simply because we have more seats.

And I'm betting not many people are both X and UC fans - likely one or the other.  On the other hand, plenty of people like both MU and the Bucks, so those folks often have to choose to spend their $$ on one or the other.
We should consult with Xavier to understand some of their marketin techniques to get such a large percentage of capacity.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2016, 11:18:22 AM »
We should consult with Xavier to understand some of their marketin techniques to get such a large percentage of capacity.

Top 5 teams in the country tend to market themselves. Win and they will come, ehna?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2016, 12:20:56 PM »
Top 5 teams in the country tend to market themselves. Win and they will come, ehna?
That is the best policy for sure. We need to get back to the Crean/Buzz level and that will take care of a lot of the issue . I still think we need better thought out cupcakes.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »
That is the best policy for sure. We need to get back to the Crean/Buzz level and that will take care of a lot of the issue . I still think we need better thought out cupcakes.

Eh, I don't buy that argument. 95% of the fans don't know the difference between a buffalo and a gambling state. It would help our rpi for sure but not attendance
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »
When do we get the invoice for 2016-17 seats that we selected during reseating period?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #210 on: June 15, 2016, 02:31:04 PM »
When do we get the invoice for 2016-17 seats that we selected during reseating period?
July.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
Eh, I don't buy that argument. 95% of the fans don't know the difference between a buffalo and a gambling state. It would help our rpi for sure but not attendance

Though I might be part of the 5%, I'm pretty sure that this is a buffalo:

And this is a gambling state:

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2016, 09:55:05 PM »

Awesome

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2016, 10:12:39 PM »
What I have for  some time is to get local games with UW GB, UWM , Loyola of Chicago, Northern Illinois etc.  and put them in that time slot when the kids are out of school on winter break.

For Example. Last time we played UW GB at home under those circumstances we drew 14,208.
            ---Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2016, 10:14:11 PM »

Well done

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2016, 09:16:11 AM »
What I have for  some time is to get local games with UW GB, UWM , Loyola of Chicago, Northern Illinois etc.  and put them in that time slot when the kids are out of school on winter break.

For Example. Last time we played UW GB at home under those circumstances we drew 14,208.

Of course they were all there to watch the Phoenix rise. Nothing to do with a top 10 in the nation squad coming off a Sweet 16 to draw casual fans. Nope. It was all the local Phoenix angle that attracted the common folk.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2016, 09:21:26 AM »

It's.

Not.

Happening.

Marquette has zero, zero, zero interest in anyone who would require a return game from a mid or low major conference like the Horizon. Unless a Wichita State or Gonzaga comes calling, there is no way under the current regime you will see these game scheduled unless they are willing to play at the BC as buy games, which they are not because they wouldn't take anything less than the deal they get from the Badgers.

No matter how many times you say Green Bay and Milwaukee, the chances of them showing up on our schedule in the next few years will only happen in the NIT or NCAAs. There is virtually no conceivable way Marquette will play either of those teams as long as they demand return games at the Cell or the Resch.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2016, 09:34:55 AM »
It's.

Not.

Happening.

Marquette has zero, zero, zero interest in anyone who would require a return game from a mid or low major conference like the Horizon. Unless a Wichita State or Gonzaga comes calling, there is no way under the current regime you will see these game scheduled unless they are willing to play at the BC as buy games, which they are not because they wouldn't take anything less than the deal they get from the Badgers.

No matter how many times you say Green Bay and Milwaukee, the chances of them showing up on our schedule in the next few years will only happen in the NIT or NCAAs. There is virtually no conceivable way Marquette will play either of those teams as long as they demand return games at the Cell or the Resch.

I'm not against the idea of considering "easy" nonconf road games for purposes of manipulating the RPI. Your thoughts?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2016, 09:51:36 AM »
I'm not against the idea of considering "easy" nonconf road games for purposes of manipulating the RPI. Your thoughts?
I think it is a good thing. Especially if it is with local teams.
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2016, 10:10:35 AM »

I love the idea. I think having a rotation of say four regular opponents that you expect to be decent (say winning 15-20 games yearly) in which you get three at home each year and one on the road would be great. But Marquette's not interested in doing that. I've talked to Broeker about it. If they can't get a high-major home game in return they will not give up a road game. Just the philosophy they're going with.

You could pick say Milwaukee, Green Bay, Loyola-Chicago, and Western Michigan (okay...may bring back bad memories...). Green Bay has won 14+ in each of the past 12 seaons with 13 of those seasons at .500 or better. Milwaukee has won 14+ in 9 of the last 11 seasons and been over .500 7/11 seasons. Loyola has won 12+ in 10 of the last 12 seasons. Western Michigan has won 13+ in 12 of the last 13 seasons and .500 or better records in 9 of them.

All of those teams minimize travel expenses, could reliably be expected to at least not be bad, would satisfy the people that want to see local teams, but for the most part guarantee you at worst a 3-1 record most years with 4-0 very possible and the benefit of a road win. I'm not sold on UWM or UWGB, I think you could just as easily look at other fairly local programs like Detroit, Illinois State, or even Bradley. But once the program is turned back around (and I think it's getting close) you would definitely benefit from having a few 3-for-1s set up like that. It could also create a bit more fan interest over time as those fans would know they could travel to the BC to see their team (other than the pittance of people in the traveling party, do we ever see more than a handful of buy game fans at any of those games?) while you would also get at least some kind of rivalry built up.

Alternately, you could look at setting these up across the country to benefit further away Marquette fans, say look at schools in California, Arizona, Texas, Florida, or Georgia where you typically see graduates retire to, or out east just to widen the footprint.

Personally, if I were designing the schedule, that would become a quick staple of my scheduling. Get 4 games from your tournament (love the ones where you get two quality neutral games and two moderately decent low to mid major home games). Wisconsin and another alternating home-and-home (Ideally ND, but not sure they're interested). 4 rotating 3-for-1 deals that guarantee another true road game for RPI purposes and three home games against decent opponents. Then three games to play with depending on team strength. Possibly a Gavitt Game, another high-major home-and-home, a neutral site game like Vandy, or if the team isn't as strong, some lesser buy games.

But as I'm not designing the schedule, it's all just pie in the sky. And I have it from the horse's mouth that they don't want to give up home games without getting high major return games.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2016, 10:16:17 AM »
You could pick say Milwaukee, Green Bay, Loyola-Chicago, and Western Michigan (okay...may bring back bad memories...).

A little tip regarding bad game memories... if you start drinking heavily enough at the under 8 timeout in the 2nd half, you'll never remember how the game ends.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #221 on: June 16, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »
I like your ideal schedule brew and I agree with you that MU has no intention of putting it together.  Funny thing is, they've never asked their customers what we want. I'd gladly give up a home game to see generally better basketball. Driving up for Grambling is a waste of time and energy.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2016, 10:32:23 AM »
Driving up for Grambling is a waste of time and energy.

At least it earned you the right to authoritatively discuss all-things on the topic of paid attendance!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2016, 10:35:02 AM »
I like your ideal schedule brew and I agree with you that MU has no intention of putting it together.  Funny thing is, they've never asked their customers what we want. I'd gladly give up a home game to see generally better basketball. Driving up for Grambling is a waste of time and energy.

This past year was insanely busy for me, but I'm definitely interested in trying to get on that fan steering committee. No idea what they are looking for in terms of applicants, but when they next take applications (two year term) I'm going to at least take a stab at the process.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2016, 11:02:52 AM »
At least it earned you the right to authoritatively discuss all-things on the topic of paid attendance!

Ha! You get credit for that one.

feedback