'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Upset city  (Read 4291 times)

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
Upset city
« on: November 15, 2015, 07:28:52 PM »
Va Tech latest upset victim, to Alabama State.
UCLA loses to Monmouth
GTown to Radford
MU to Belmont
NC State to William & Mary by 16.
Wisconsin to W Illinois

All at home.

Don't remember this many upsets the first weekend ever...

bradley center bat

• All American
Re: Upset city
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 08:10:51 PM »
North Florida beat Illinois on Friday

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 08:38:08 AM »
We were a 4 point favorite. Technically it was an upset, but this wasn't exactly NJIT.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 08:42:55 AM »
Biased, of course, but according to RPI and other metrics, Belmont would appear to be by far the best of the teams that won those games mentioned.

Searching for silver lining, as always!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:59:20 AM »
We were a 4 point favorite. Technically it was an upset, but this wasn't exactly NJIT.

Those 4 pts were because it was a home game.   I am confident that a neutral floor game would have been a toss up or slight Belmont lean. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 09:02:26 AM »
Kenpom had Belmont as favored and a far better loss than any of the other upsets FWIW
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 09:26:33 AM »
Kenpom had Belmont as favored and a far better loss than any of the other upsets FWIW

I can't remember eng, had you picked Belmont on your podcast?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 10:17:33 AM »
I can't remember eng, had you picked Belmont on your podcast?

Yes, we both picked Belmont to win.....too much experience to overcome.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 10:34:08 AM »

How could Ken Pom have Belmont as a favorite before the game when after the game he still has MU rated higher and MU was at home?
http://kenpom.com

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 10:39:06 AM »
How could Ken Pom have Belmont as a favorite before the game when after the game he still has MU rated higher and MU was at home?
http://kenpom.com

It's the way the numbers work.....he has us beating Iowa 72-71 on Thursday(53%) even though Iowa is ranked 35 and we're 53.  Plus the first game was off of last year's numbers minus the players leaving plus a blanket estimate for freshmen.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »
But MU is at home. If it was at Iowa then Iowa would be favored in his system to win.

All I'm saying is it makes no sense if you have 1 team rated higher then another team...(and the higher rated team is at home) for his system to predict a win by the lower rated team.

He is essentially saying disregard my system at least early in the year.

It would be different if it was vegas and the bets determine who the favorite is.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 11:20:53 AM »
But MU is at home. If it was at Iowa then Iowa would be favored in his system to win.

All I'm saying is it makes no sense if you have 1 team rated higher then another team...(and the higher rated team is at home) for his system to predict a win by the lower rated team.

He is essentially saying disregard my system at least early in the year.

It would be different if it was vegas and the bets determine who the favorite is.

No it doesn't because match-ups around the four factors matter in KenPom not just blind rankings.  So if you match-up poorly enough(i.e. you have a weak offense, they have a strong defense) with a lower rated opponent you can lose to that opponent.  Additionally, the rankings are projections how teams will do against their schedule, so by the end of the year Belmont might be ranked higher than us which means your objection would be null.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 12:32:07 PM »

Pomeroy didn't have Belmont favored. Check the graph. Marquette's initial win probability was 77.1%. If I remember right, he had us winning by 6. Unless he wrote an article somewhere else where he went against his system, he absolutely, positively did not have Belmont favored to beat Marquette. We were unquestionably the favorite in that game.

http://kenpom.com/winprob.php?g=114
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brandx

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »
Va Tech latest upset victim, to Alabama State.
UCLA loses to Monmouth
GTown to Radford
MU to Belmont
NC State to William & Mary by 16.
Wisconsin to W Illinois

All at home.

Don't remember this many upsets the first weekend ever...

I think this is a trend we will see more of in the future. Usually - and I haven't checked all the rosters here - these small schools that pull upsets are loaded with veterans who have played together. The bigger schools are usually younger and more inexperienced - think Marquette where there were only 3 guys on the team that had ever played a game in a MU uniform. UW is another example. Brown, Happ, Iverson, Thomas, Showalter - all guys that are either freshman or getting their first taste of extended minutes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 01:14:13 PM »
I think this is a trend we will see more of in the future. Usually - and I haven't checked all the rosters here - these small schools that pull upsets are loaded with veterans who have played together. The bigger schools are usually younger and more inexperienced - think Marquette where there were only 3 guys on the team that had ever played a game in a MU uniform. UW is another example. Brown, Happ, Iverson, Thomas, Showalter - all guys that are either freshman or getting their first taste of extended minutes.

Western Illinois is a pretty veteran team. Only lost one starter off last year's squad. But it was a squad that finished sub 300 last season. I picked them to finish 2nd to last in the summit.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 01:44:44 PM »
KenPom is a predictive model; it is not a qualitative analysis model.  In other words, teams are not ranked based on what they've done, they are slotted according to what they're projected to do.

In laymen's terms... what the model said (or how the teams did) yesterday, the day before, the day before, etc. makes no difference; also, you cannot use the model as a bellwether to determine how "good" or "bad" teams are.  The only thing that matters is what the model says right now about the team's next performance.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 02:08:16 PM »
...think Marquette where there were only 3 guys on the team that had ever played a game in a MU uniform...

They also said this several times during the TV broadcast, but there were four (Johnson, Wilson, Cohen and Fischer).  It doesn't take away from your point, which is correct and valid.  I just thought it was odd that they kept saying that.  I guess they meant guys that played a full season, but they kept saying players "who wore a Marquette uniform last season".
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »
Pomeroy didn't have Belmont favored. Check the graph. Marquette's initial win probability was 77.1%. If I remember right, he had us winning by 6.

IIRC he had us winning by 8.

brandx

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 02:49:35 PM »
They also said this several times during the TV broadcast, but there were four (Johnson, Wilson, Cohen and Fischer).  It doesn't take away from your point, which is correct and valid.  I just thought it was odd that they kept saying that.  I guess they meant guys that played a full season, but they kept saying players "who wore a Marquette uniform last season".

Thanks for the correction, CT.

I should have known better.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 02:52:48 PM »
IIRC he had us winning by 8.

May well have been, but either way, Pomeroy definitely had us projected to win that game. And despite the loss, his model would still have us winning that game today.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »

I think they said there were only three players that are on this year's that were in uniform for MU at the start of last season.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 04:52:42 PM »
May well have been, but either way, Pomeroy definitely had us projected to win that game. And despite the loss, his model would still have us winning that game today.

Thanks Brew......just didn't make sense for pomeroy to have Belmont as the favorite when looking at his current rankings.

Anonymous Eagle says the actual prediction was 76-68 MU.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 04:59:48 PM by MuMark »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 10:48:35 AM »
Southern won at Miss St on Monday.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

feedback