Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We need to start over  (Read 9292 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: We need to start over
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2021, 08:24:03 AM »
I was as excited as anyone when we were a "consensus preseason top 5 team" but it's very difficult to believe (even with H and H) that we could have done much of anything.    That roster, like every other Wojo roster, would not have been able to defend at a reasonable level. 

Yea, I remember seeing that and thinking ESPN had more faith in Wojo teaching the team to defend than I did.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2021, 08:28:27 AM »

I think Scholl has been a decent AD.  This decision is not simply his to make.

(And I have no idea what you mean about the Jesuits.)

I'll bet you do.   :P

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 08:36:49 AM »
The women's team is light years ahead of the men's mainly because Megan Duffy is a far superior coach to Wojo.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2021, 08:47:09 AM »
The Hausers leaving certainly was a roundhouse to the program.
Too bad for Wojo, fans and the program.
Can the new players and recruits take us back to peak Hauser & Markus times?
One more year with Wojo we would find out.
But will people allow that?
Who knows and who cares?

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2021, 09:01:02 AM »
They do CR.  And perhaps with the right coach we could mold this talent with our returning players and recruits.  Let's say they would all come back including Carton if Wojo stays?  I have zero confidence he could make our roster anything but a borderline NCAA tournament team.  So, from my perspective, we have to bite the bullet.

It would be an immediate setback but with the right coach things can change very quickly.  See Beard or Underwood along with others.  I honestly don't think this is debatable anymore because we have 0.0 evidence we have a guy capable of getting us back to the promised land or making a deep NCAA tourney run.  In my mind he is lost and grasping at straws on a regular basis.

You are right. The ship has sailed, it’s time to move on no questions asked.

I feel confident in saying that because imo even in the best case scenario where everyone returns I just don’t see Steve making MU anything more than a low seed NCAA team.
He had his shot with Markus and Sam Hauser but it fell apart and the ship has sailed.

So let’s move on... who does MU target?

IMO a rebuild would be a bad idea so then the options become??

Lets spitball a few:

Grand Slam:
1A) Bring back Buzz- obviously this seems out of the realm of possibility for so many reasons. The way it all ended, his top 5 salary (4M$ Per) at AM, his desire to be back home. However, it would be an amazing move by the administration and the fans would love it. Catholic institution reuniting with the religious Texan who always said he will be here as long as they will have him, too good to be true. Fwiw he’s struggling in year 2 at AM so there’s that.

1B) Nate Oats, for obvious reasons.

Other options:
1) I’d list Porter Moser atop this list but of course it would be a long wish list. Some would say Wardle, others TJO, others Chapman, others bring back Tom Crean (gasp). The list will go on and on if a Wojo termination is announced.

2) Big name coach looking to get back to relevancy. Dudes like slick Rick Pitino and Avery Johnson- I’d actually love either one- and names like Beilein, Hoiberg, etc.

3) Up and coming assistant. Could be MU ties or otherwise.

There will be a lot of options and I’d be ok with anyone from the first two categories, even though such an outside the box move like Chapman would make me nervous. I don’t want another up and coming assistant because of Wojo PTSD I suppose, but I think I could stomach a gamble on Stan.

Super early in a process that would take months, but I think the writing is finally on the wall.
Only thing that would change my mind is a BET win and a win or two in the dance

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2021, 09:02:35 AM »
The folks that get me are the ones who say that if we make a coaching change we are destined for several years of mediocrity. So what's new?
It’s all they have left
No Finish Line

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2021, 09:12:38 AM »
Sorry man, da clock struck midnite. Der ain't know dance dis yeer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2021, 09:15:54 AM »
The folks that get me are the ones who say that if we make a coaching change we are destined for several years of mediocrity. So what's new?

Who's still saying that?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2021, 11:30:34 AM »
You are right. The ship has sailed, it’s time to move on no questions asked.

I feel confident in saying that because imo even in the best case scenario where everyone returns I just don’t see Steve making MU anything more than a low seed NCAA team.
He had his shot with Markus and Sam Hauser but it fell apart and the ship has sailed.

So let’s move on... who does MU target?

IMO a rebuild would be a bad idea so then the options become??

Lets spitball a few:

Grand Slam:
1A) Bring back Buzz- obviously this seems out of the realm of possibility for so many reasons. The way it all ended, his top 5 salary (4M$ Per) at AM, his desire to be back home. However, it would be an amazing move by the administration and the fans would love it. Catholic institution reuniting with the religious Texan who always said he will be here as long as they will have him, too good to be true. Fwiw he’s struggling in year 2 at AM so there’s that.

1B) Nate Oats, for obvious reasons.

Other options:
1) I’d list Porter Moser atop this list but of course it would be a long wish list. Some would say Wardle, others TJO, others Chapman, others bring back Tom Crean (gasp). The list will go on and on if a Wojo termination is announced.

2) Big name coach looking to get back to relevancy. Dudes like slick Rick Pitino and Avery Johnson- I’d actually love either one- and names like Beilein, Hoiberg, etc.

3) Up and coming assistant. Could be MU ties or otherwise.

There will be a lot of options and I’d be ok with anyone from the first two categories, even though such an outside the box move like Chapman would make me nervous. I don’t want another up and coming assistant because of Wojo PTSD I suppose, but I think I could stomach a gamble on Stan.

Super early in a process that would take months, but I think the writing is finally on the wall.
Only thing that would change my mind is a BET win and a win or two in the dance

Would the Gonzaga #1 assistant c ever leave?  He's been with Few for 20 yrs.  I agree there are lots of guys we can go after but Wardle would not be my choice.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2021, 11:33:26 AM »
Would the Gonzaga #1 assistant c ever leave?  He's been with Few for 20 yrs.  I agree there are lots of guys we can go after but Wardle would not be my choice.

no, he's the (unofficial) coach in waiting.

Plus, GU assistants have not been very successful elsewhere. We need a guy with head coaching experience.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »
no, he's the (unofficial) coach in waiting.

Plus, GU assistants have not been very successful elsewhere. We need a guy with head coaching experience.

Who would you target Billy?  Beliein?  Matta?  Moser?  The guy at Winthrop?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2021, 11:39:20 AM »

Switch the schools name to Duke and that were said about Wojo a few years back. I'd stay away from the people who've only been with one system.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2021, 11:44:57 AM »
Switch the schools name to Duke and that were said about Wojo a few years back. I'd stay away from the people who've only been with one system.

I hear ya....was just thinking out loud.  The Anteaters have a fairly successful coach.  Who else is out West besides T.J?

I don't think Wojo's coming back and would not have written this 3 weeks ago. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:48:30 AM by MuggsyB »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2021, 11:57:24 AM »
I hear ya....was just thinking out loud.  The Anteaters have a fairly successful coach.  Who else is out West besides T.J?

I don't think Wojo's coming back and would not have written this 3 weeks ago.

I don't know about west but if we're looking for coaches with potential and Wisconsin connections to entice them the I'd say Eric Konkol is worth a look. Not exactly a huge splash but he's consistently been winning in a decent league. Have assistant stints at various programs and has put a couple guys in the NBA.

Of course he played for Bo Ryan though...
Maigh Eo for Sam

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2021, 12:01:35 PM »
Oats, Otz, Devries would be my first calls.  All have been successful HCs, run a fun style of play and have strong Wisconsin/midwest ties.  Id also reach out to Thad Matta although lots of question marks with him at this point. 

Casey Alexander, Pat Kelsey, Craig Smith, Bob Richey are interesting options as well, just dont know as much about them.

muspc2

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2021, 12:03:20 PM »
    Muggsy's posts in this thread seem to say it all. To put it kindly, WOJO is not a good coach. Overall, his lack of teaching and discipline have shown through for his entire tenure. WOJO getting an occasional 5* and some 4* players may look good in the yearly ranking of incoming recruits, but he has been nowhere near successful enough to just let the team's talent overcome his vast shortcomings as a coach. It is real life wins and losses that ultimately point to a coach's success.  Marquette has a lot of positives as far as being a basketball player is concerned, and those circumstances probably had more impact than a given recruit being sold on playing only for WOJO.
    As of now I am still of the opinion that WOJO should go at the end of this year, but probably will be back. I always want MU to win, but it seems like a lose-lose that he may stay past this year, or an administration that has accepted the same thing for all of WOJO's tenure will be picking his successor. It appears that the only hope is that either (a) WOJO is able to retain and recruit enough talent to outrun his shortcomings, or (b) the administration stumbles upon a coach that can mix coaching and recruiting to equal long term success. I can't say I'm expecting success on either front. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2021, 12:06:39 PM »
Who would you target Billy?  Beliein?  Matta?  Moser?  The guy at Winthrop?

First and foremost, I'd back up a Brinks truck to Nate Oats' house and offer him whatever he wanted. Since that likely won't happen I'd inquire with Matta. Maybe his health problems go away like Urban Meyer's magically did.

But, if either rebuff us (likely) then my top choices would be DeVries at Drake, Medved at Colorado State, TJO, and Kelsey at Winthrop. Jacobson at Northern Iowa may be worth a look too (struggling this year but is coming off a 25 win season and has a demonstrated record of tourney success). His buyout is pretty large, however.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2021, 12:10:14 PM »
   It appears that the only hope is that either (a) WOJO is able to retain and recruit enough talent to outrun his shortcomings, or (b) the administration stumbles upon a coach that can mix coaching and recruiting to equal long term success. I can't say I'm expecting success on either front.

The first option came and went with the Hausers. They stay/we don't collapse and this is an entirely different tune. I'd also wager some of those recruits that we went swinging for the fences after would have committed.

But they didn't, it'd take a few years and no transfers between Osa DJ Lewis and maybe Osa along with the incoming class to live up to the hype in order to get his second shot at overcoming shortcomings.
Maigh Eo for Sam

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2021, 12:10:50 PM »
First and foremost, I'd back up a Brinks truck to Nate Oats' house and offer him whatever he wanted. Since that likely won't happen I'd inquire with Matta. Maybe his health problems go away like Urban Meyer's magically did.

But, if either rebuff us (likely) then my top choices would be DeVries at Drake, Medved at Colorado State, TJO, and Kelsey at Winthrop. Jacobson at Northern Iowa may be worth a look too (struggling this year but is coming off a 25 win season and has a demonstrated record of tourney success). His buyout is pretty large, however.

Oats has a good class coming in as well. Top 10 guard as well as the #2 ranked ju- wait never mind.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2021, 12:12:59 PM »

Jacobson is an interesting name.  He's had a lot of success despite having some rough seasons here and there.  Am I crazy to think all of these possibilities would be exponentially better than what we have right now?  The bottom line Billy is I think we have plenty of options. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2021, 12:15:28 PM »

The first option came and went with the Hausers. They stay/we don't collapse and this is an entirely different tune. I'd also wager some of those recruits that we went swinging for the fences after would have committed.

But they didn't, it'd take a few years and no transfers between Osa DJ Lewis and maybe Osa along with the incoming class to live up to the hype in order to get his second shot at overcoming shortcomings.

If H and H stayed I'm not sold we would win a tourney game.  We would certainly make the tournament but most likely it would be a quick exit with our defensive ineptitude.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2021, 12:17:00 PM »
Jacobson is an interesting name.  He's had a lot of success despite having some rough seasons here and there.  Am I crazy to think all of these possibilities would be exponentially better than what we have right now?  The bottom line Billy is I think we have plenty of options.

The question is whether they'll be able to recruit to this level. They will certainly be better in-game coaches than what we have now.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2021, 12:46:34 PM »

Forgot about Luke Yaklich at UIC. He is in his first year as a HC but was an important #1 assistant at Michigan and Texas. He'd be a very intriguing hire.

And no, you are not crazy to think they would be better than we have now. And, we could likely get any of the second group for less than we're paying Wojo now.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2021, 02:56:35 PM »
Oats has a good class coming in as well. Top 10 guard as well as the #2 ranked ju- wait never mind.
How many can he bring along to Marquette?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2021, 02:59:34 PM »

Bring back Buzz

Great, forget St. Louis, now we're just like De Paul