Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue Jay Way  (Read 21665 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Blue Jay Way
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2021, 07:41:53 PM »
Wojo will get an extension and will be the coach next year.

Alright - you are the PR Director for MU Athletics. How do you “sell” that after this season (again, underdogs in at least five of last six games), no tournament wins in seven years, just two NCAAT appearances in 7 years, Hausergate, first MU coach in over two decades with multiple losing seasons, and losing annually to the perceived doormat of the conference (DePaul).  What do you highlight to inspire excitement and confidence?

Ready. Go.

panda

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2021, 07:42:52 PM »
Calling others “know it alls” and posting this is quite ironic.

Posting my opinion is ironic?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2021, 07:43:01 PM »
- The TO right before the media TO could have cost the game
- There were about 10 possessions where MU moved the ball (it's called passing) for at least part of the possession.  First time this has happened at all in several games.  Nice to see.
- On the aforementioned possessions, when the ball ends up with McEwen or Theo it just stops and the remainder of the possession is wasted
- 12 possessions ruined by turnovers
- Creighton's ball movement (passing) is pretty to watch.  I wonder if Wojo realizes that the reason teams get open shots and layups is because of this?  I wonder if he has noticed that it's better than dribbling the ball at the top (or Theo standing in the post, waiting for the double team, thinking about what to do).
- Some timely good play kept MU in the game but it was never enough
- Nice to see Perez get some run.  I think Greg/Dex/Perez/Sy are all interchangeable.  Guys who can get some minutes but have severe limitations.  Sy is the only one who can dribble, but needs to be given a 3 dribble limit on any posession in the half court.  Greg just cannot play D.  Dex travels every time he touches the ball.  Even in the summer pick-up games, his first step is a travel.  It's been called a couple times in games already.  How Wojo and the staff cannot have corrected that by now is egregious.  Perez - jury is still out.  Wouldn't mind seeing him get more minutes.  Sy - stopgap PG only.
- Theo is getting worse.  He's in the way on offense and always out of position on D. 4 years of college ball and still no feel for the game, no vision, no sense of the double team and now little guys are boxing him out and out rebounding him.  Again, this is on Wojo.  Creighton is a team with only one guy with size and he plays spot minutes.  Go Small!  Run! Attack!  Move!... but he just doesn't see it.
Well done. Your last paragraph is almost completely wrong. Hard to do.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2021, 07:51:09 PM »
Every know it all on the board repeats the tired extension talk, but I don’t think the administration is ignorant to the temperature of the fan base or the on court results.

I wouldn’t be shocked if his name is floated around the carousel after the season.

Alright - you are the PR Director for MU Athletics. How do you “sell” that after this season (again, underdogs in at least five of last six games), no tournament wins in seven years, just two NCAAT appearances in 7 years, Hausergate, first MU coach in over two decades with multiple losing seasons, and losing annually to the perceived doormat of the conference (DePaul).  What do you highlight to inspire excitement and confidence?

Ready. Go.

Giving Wojo an extension wouldn't be a reward, it would be allowing Marquette to get rid of him in a year if things don't change for the better. Financially, I'm not sure they're in position to get rid of him now even if they want to.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2021, 07:55:06 PM »
Giving Wojo an extension wouldn't be a reward, it would be allowing Marquette to get rid of him in a year if things don't change for the better. Financially, I'm not sure they're in position to get rid of him now even if they want to.

extend him out to 2027 or whatever you want to tell recruits and dramatically cut the buyout. Not an unheard of tactic with coaches on the hot seat but with an administration not quite ready to pull the trigger.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

panda

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2021, 07:55:11 PM »

That is the most probable outcome following the season. But the cheaper option would be encouraging him to interview elsewhere for open positions. It would offer him more money most likely and more long term stability.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2021, 07:58:58 PM »

Ready. Go.

You don’t sell it at all. You announce it on some Friday and operate as normal.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2021, 08:02:09 PM »
That is the most probable outcome following the season. But the cheaper option would be encouraging him to interview elsewhere for open positions. It would offer him more money most likely and more long term stability.

Sure, and you express a willingness to lower the buyout to get him "closer to home" or something similar. Penn State, Boston College, if he can get one of those, I think you go for it, but that shouldn't stop the university from taking whatever actions they can to make firing him affordable in the coming years if that doesn't work out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2021, 08:05:54 PM »
Sure, and you express a willingness to lower the buyout to get him "closer to home" or something similar. Penn State, Boston College, if he can get one of those, I think you go for it, but that shouldn't stop the university from taking whatever actions they can to make firing him affordable in the coming years if that doesn't work out.

Yep - Totally agree

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2021, 08:09:47 PM »
extend wojo eh tower?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2021, 08:28:05 PM »
Wojo will get an extension and will be the coach next year.

Might as well shove a glass rod up our johnson and hit it repeatedly with a hammer, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2021, 08:36:22 PM »
Might as well shove a glass rod up our johnson and hit it repeatedly with a hammer, aina?

Hey if that’s what you’re into, I won’t judge.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2021, 08:56:11 PM »
In previous years, a February matchup against a conference opponent ranked 15th in the country would've been a huge deal for the fanbase.  This past week was a little disturbing in that respect.  There was basically zero discourse about the game or college basketball in general, and now that 98% of the board thinks Wojo should be gone, the arguments and discussions about that have died down, too.  And the people who post on this board are the diehards.  Imagine how disinterested the casual fans are right now.

Regarding the game, it's sad because it doesn't seem like anyone on here expected Marquette to win, or really cared that we lost.  We've just accepted it as an inevitability at this point.  I think Creighton is overrated and will falter in the Tournament once again.  They're just above average, not great by any means, and yet it still didn't feel like we were ever going to win.  We're going to drop into the triple digits in the NET rankings tomorrow, and the Badgers, who were our best win, lost today and have two tough games next week.  They may not even finish the season in the top 25. 

The program itself, not the team, is still in good shape.  Huge recruiting budget, NBA arena, first rate practice facility.  But a few more years of suckage like this without a regime change and there's no telling what will happen to the fan base.  And if the fan base starts to dwindle, that will have a domino effect on the program and its resources.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2021, 08:56:17 PM »
Creighton had 11 offensive rebounds because Theo only got one on Creighton misses.

Astounding stat.  He still hasn't figured out basic fundamental rebounding and not trying to block everything.

This team has some roster issues but is absolutely underachieving. 

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2021, 08:58:52 PM »

There could be a lot of coaching turnover in the Big East over the next three years. Coaches with contracts expiring over the upcoming seasons include two in 2022-23 (Jordan, Ewing) and four in 2023-24 (Leitao, Woj, Willard, and Steele)

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2021, 09:23:31 PM »
Wish DJ had come here out of high school. Be a really solid second guard next to Markus for a year and get a bit of his always attack mentality.

You can thank Markus for that.  We were not able to recruit a single other good guard or wing the entire time he was here, and it's showing now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2021, 09:25:02 PM »
You can thank Markus for that.  We were not able to recruit a single other good guard or wing the entire time he was here, and it's showing now.

Yeah. Markus’s fault. Cancerous and we still feel the effects even after he is gone.

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2021, 09:30:08 PM »
Not sure this is the game to say Theo is getting worse. Yes, only 2 rebounds and 3 TOs, but also 5-5 from the field with 3 assists (which, by the way, tied for team high), 2 steals, and 3 blocks. Theo is what Theo is, but he certainly has improved this year over the past.

Agree. The main reason Theo has lousy rebound numbers is that our weird and ineffective D very often has Theo guarding somebody 15-20' from the rim.
The rebound problem is (probably our statistical leader) DG, who has problems establishing position.
I would think as he develops and bulks up, that would change.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2021, 09:33:02 PM »
Yeah. Markus’s fault. Cancerous and we still feel the effects even after he is gone.

Lol.

We *are* still feeling the effects of Markus' time here, though.  It's why we have so little talent outside of Lewis, Carton, and Garcia.  Who were we able to recruit to play with Markus that's any good?  Maybe Koby?  You say "lol" but the proof is in the pudding after watching the team this season.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2021, 09:35:51 PM »
Since this season is just another Lost Season can Wojo please reduce Koby’s minutes, I find him difficult to watch, jump shot is awful most of the time, I beg for any of the other 4 players on the floor to shoot instead of him, I respect his effort but would love for some magic-spell to get Dawson to take all his shots from here on out
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2021, 09:37:10 PM »
We *are* still feeling the effects of Markus' time here, though.  It's why we have so little talent outside of Lewis, Carton, and Garcia.  Who were we able to recruit to play with Markus that's any good?  Maybe Koby?  You say "lol" but the proof is in the pudding after watching the team this season.

You’re letting Wojo off easy. I would suggest that Koby was more of the issue than Markus.

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2021, 09:37:44 PM »
Since this season is just another Lost Season can Wojo please reduce Koby’s minutes, I find him difficult to watch, jump shot is awful most of the time, I beg for any of the other 4 players on the floor to shoot instead of him, I respect his effort but would love for some magic-spell to get Dawson to take all his shots from here on out

Uh...OK.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2021, 09:43:47 PM »

Genius. We should never recruit anyone as good as Markus, who wound up in the top 30 or so career college scorers in history. Or if we do, we should injure them so that we can get recruits that might be a fraction of what he was. Plus, it's weird that he would affect recruiting at both guard and wing.

I've never seen a collection of malcontents to rival this. Recruit after recruit fails to meet their standard for one reason or another. Then when we strike the mother lode (that's Markus, for those of you who are slow), we blame him (a success) for our subsequent failures. Pathetic. Sad.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2021, 09:44:09 PM »
u really implying recruiting markus was wrong?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2021, 09:48:19 PM »
u really implying recruiting markus was wrong?

Of course not.  I'm implying that his absolute free reign and ultimate green light while he was here were wrong.  It caused dissension in the locker room and on the court during two different seasons (Koby and Joey).  Markus was a great player but Wojo allowing him to do whatever he wanted was damaging to the program.