Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler M*A*S*H  (Read 9584 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Butler M*A*S*H
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2021, 11:28:39 AM »
Assuming no more games get scheduled (we still have Georgetown at home and an open non-con game if we want it) or cancelled, we needed to go 6-2 to possibly make the tournament. Now we only need to go 5-2, which is easier. But damn, this game did nothing to convince me that 5-2 is possible.

The thing that was most frustrating for me was the turnovers. I was impressed by our handling of the press against St. John's. Our season average for TO% is 20.3% and St. John's average for the TO% they force is 23.1%. Should have been a turnover fest but we only coughed it up 12 times for TO% of 17.4%. I was hoping we could build on that performance but instead posted a TO% of 31.3% against a Butler team that does not force turnovers. That was completely on us.

It worries me how we handled the lesser teams in the league. The stretch run is extremely unforgiving with something like four or five consecutive road games.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
Assuming no more games get scheduled (we still have Georgetown at home and an open non-con game if we want it) or cancelled, we needed to go 6-2 to possibly make the tournament. Now we only need to go 5-2, which is easier. But damn, this game did nothing to convince me that 5-2 is possible.

The thing that was most frustrating for me was the turnovers. I was impressed by our handling of the press against St. John's. Our season average for TO% is 20.3% and St. John's average for the TO% they force is 23.1%. Should have been a turnover fest but we only coughed it up 12 times for TO% of 17.4%. I was hoping we could build on that performance but instead posted a TO% of 31.3% against a Butler team that does not force turnovers. That was completely on us.

What is your sense? Should we shoot for the moon with the non con game and seriously pressure Ewing & co to reschedule now? Or do you think Wojo waits to see our performance against a weak team we've lost to, a Butler team that came roaring back, three teams we choked against, a team we somehow beat, and a team we don't belong in the same gym as.

It would seem to me if Wojo seriously thought this team had an outside tournament shot he'd be working to get those two possible games scheduled ASAP
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2021, 01:06:08 PM »
What is your sense? Should we shoot for the moon with the non con game and seriously pressure Ewing & co to reschedule now? Or do you think Wojo waits to see our performance against a weak team we've lost to, a Butler team that came roaring back, three teams we choked against, a team we somehow beat, and a team we don't belong in the same gym as.

It would seem to me if Wojo seriously thought this team had an outside tournament shot he'd be working to get those two possible games scheduled ASAP

Georgetown can honestly only hurt us, though padding the W record I guess could help. We have a 10 day break from February 17th to February 27th due to moving up the SJU game. My guess is that was done to make room for a potential non-con game or maybe both games. Georgetown is at DePaul on February 27th so if they were up for games on back to back days I could see that happening with a non-con game happening earlier in the week
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2021, 01:06:45 PM »

Maybe he is, though I don't know how much of that is up to the coach. (Maybe others here know.)

There is a small window for the GT game on Thu 2/25. We will have been off for a long stretch but will be playing at UConn 2 days later. Barring a blizzard, that would be a relatively "easy" trip. Georgetown, however, has games on the 23rd (vs UConn) and 27th (at DeP), so they might not want to play 3 times in that span, including a road game in the Midwest.

And we could maybe line up a non-con game between Butler on 2/17 and UConn on 2/27.

I'd like to see both played, if possible, but would understand if GT says no.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2021, 08:21:33 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2021, 09:02:48 AM »
Georgetown can honestly only hurt us, though padding the W record I guess could help. We have a 10 day break from February 17th to February 27th due to moving up the SJU game. My guess is that was done to make room for a potential non-con game or maybe both games. Georgetown is at DePaul on February 27th so if they were up for games on back to back days I could see that happening with a non-con game happening earlier in the week
There is value in padding the win loss percentage , that is part of the formula.Given our weak winning percentage,It would help MUs cause to pick up a non con,Georgetown ,or both.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire