collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Raccoon Problems  (Read 1808 times)

swoopem

• All American
Raccoon Problems
« on: August 10, 2023, 06:55:51 AM »
Any one here ever had any raccoon problems and if so how’d you get rid of them? I have a detached garage and there’s definitely one or more of those bastards living above it. This happened a year or so ago too and I called a company who came out and caught one and I got to keep the trap but I’m looking for other suggestions rather than the basic trap.

Hoping someone can help because these f*ckers are annoying. Thanks in advance
Bring back FFP!!!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: Raccoon Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 08:06:35 AM »
Any one here ever had any raccoon problems and if so how’d you get rid of them? I have a detached garage and there’s definitely one or more of those bastards living above it. This happened a year or so ago too and I called a company who came out and caught one and I got to keep the trap but I’m looking for other suggestions rather than the basic trap.

My mother owned a rental house and when racoons took over the attic and she decided to try a trick someone told her about. A radio blasting hard rock was placed in the attic as racoons supposedly hate loud music. Give it a try, as it may work for you although it did not work in my mother's rental house. The racoons attacked the radio and tore it to shreds. Suspend a battery-operated radio from the ceiling so they cannot destroy it.

Caution- remember that racoons sometimes are rabid.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 09:49:31 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 09:39:10 AM »
Bait da suckers and toss 'em on da Weber. Known as a delicacy in some parts of da world, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 09:59:13 AM »
Bait da suckers and toss 'em on da Weber. Known as a delicacy in some parts of da world, hey?

Yeh. Like West Virginia?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 10:49:15 AM »

Yeh. Like West Virginia?

Or Michigan. True story: I was at dinner with several Michigan clients and asked what everyone's favorite meat is. Two of the five answered squirrel.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 12:26:20 PM »

Figure out how they are getting in, and seal it up.  If one raccoon sees that spot as a den, then likely there will be others that feel the same way. 

They're smart lil buggers.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 01:30:56 PM »
We had them before we took our wood deck in back out.  We just set a trap, baited it, and caught three quickly.  They’re extremely food motivated and will go after just about anything. We used the big puffy marshmallows and cat food. They really love cat food we’ve been told. 

I didn’t want to kill them, so we relocated them. But you have to go out at least 10 miles or else they can find their way back closer than that. 

The traps are easy to set and release them from too. I don’t know what they cost. My daughter’s boyfriend at the time had one we borrowed. 

You can always call a pest company business to do all this too. 

Good luck! 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 01:53:13 PM »

Sorry, didn’t read your whole post before I responded. 

What don’t you like about traps? They work and do so quickly. 

Before trapping we tried moth balls and that didn’t work.  They literally threw them out of the den. We poured ammonia down there and that only got them out temporarily. 

Anything other than traps is wishful thinking to get rid of them. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 01:56:49 PM by HutchwasClutch »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 01:55:47 PM »
We had them before we took our wood deck in back out.  We just set a trap, baited it, and caught three quickly.  They’re extremely food motivated and will go after just about anything. We used the big puffy marshmallows and cat food. They really love cat food we’ve been told. 

I didn’t want to kill them, so we relocated them. But you have to go out at least 10 miles or else they can find their way back closer than that. 

The traps are easy to set and release them from too. I don’t know what they cost. My daughter’s boyfriend at the time had one we borrowed. 

You can always call a pest company business to do all this too. 

Good luck!

I’ve got a trap and went home during lunch to set it so we’ll see if there’s anything waiting when I get home. If not, hopefully in the morning.

And I agree about the marshmallows and cat food. That’s what the company used when I called them a year or 2 ago. I didn’t have any handy today so I used those mini muffins
Bring back FFP!!!

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 01:57:24 PM »
Sorry, didn’t read your whole post before I responded. 

What don’t you like about traps? They work and do so quickly. 

Before trapping we tried moth balls and that didn’t work.  They literally threw them out of the den. Anything other than traps is wishful thinking to get rid of them.

It’s not that I don’t like the traps, I was just seeing if there was anything else possible. A coworker told me to spray peppermint oil in my garage. I guess it’s worth a shot

Everything I read online says trapping is the way to go
Bring back FFP!!!

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 01:58:59 PM »
It’s not that I don’t like the traps, I was just seeing if there was anything else possible. A coworker told me to spray peppermint oil in my garage. I guess it’s worth a shot

Everything I read online says trapping is the way to go

Yeah, all these other things are at best only temporary solutions and they’ll be back. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 02:01:48 PM »
Trap and cat food.

Use work gloves when moving the trap.  Those little fúckers bite and scratch. Transport with a garbage bag or tarp underneath, they piss and shìt like crazy when they are trapped.

If you shoot them, go for a body shot.  Their heads are as hard as concrete, more likely to get a ricochet than a kill.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2023, 02:04:40 PM »
Whatever you decide to do, be careful. Raccoons look all cute when they're waddling around. Truth is, for they're size they are the nastiest, meanest varmints around. If they feel threatened they will not always retreat. Watch your fingers.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2023, 02:09:39 PM »
Trap and cat food.

Use work gloves when moving the trap.  Those little fúckers bite and scratch. Transport with a garbage bag or tarp underneath, they piss and shìt like crazy when they are trapped.

If you shoot them, go for a body shot.  Their heads are as hard as concrete, more likely to get a ricochet than a kill.

Once caught, I plan on filling up a garbage can with water and taking them for a swim. Good call on the gloves though. Definitely need to watch my hands
Bring back FFP!!!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 02:14:46 PM »
Whatever you decide to do, be careful. Raccoons look all cute when they're waddling around. Truth is, for they're size they are the nastiest, meanest varmints around. If they feel threatened they will not always retreat. Watch your fingers.

This is what I have heard also. Feral cats wait until the racoons have had their fill before going after available food. Racoons have been known to attack dogs, sometimes jumping on their backs and clawing through their necks. Not sure that gloves are enough protection.

Scent aversion has been a tactic used more in recent years. Give it a try. If peppermint does not work, another scent-maybe citrus-probably will. Available on line and at pet food stores.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2023, 03:11:46 PM »
Once caught, I plan on filling up a garbage can with water and taking them for a swim. Good call on the gloves though. Definitely need to watch my hands
just shoot them then.  this is cruel, even for raccoons.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2023, 04:04:00 PM »

+1

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2023, 04:43:31 PM »
I get that  they can be a very difficult but perhaps there's a less violent solution?  I know they like grapes. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 04:52:45 PM by MuggsyB »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2023, 04:47:13 PM »

I don’t own a gun. I’ll ask around and see if there’s a better way but to be honest, this way was recommend by a few different people.

Also, no luck on the trap I set at lunch. Hoping for a catch overnight
Bring back FFP!!!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2023, 05:08:33 PM »
I don’t own a gun. I’ll ask around and see if there’s a better way but to be honest, this way was recommend by a few different people.

Well, even if you did it might not be a great idea to start blasting away depending on your neighbor situation. Poison bait might be better than drowning? 

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2023, 05:49:56 PM »
True story, my sister-in-law and her husband had a "pet" raccoon that they kept in their garage.  They built a screen about 2 feet high that the garage door would rest on to give the raccoon some air.  One day we were getting ready to leave their house and I was waiting outside for my wife.  The damn raccoon was hissing at me and scratching at the screen but I was just laughing at it. The thing backed away and the next thing I knew it was sliding down the garage door because it was open at the top.  I jumped on my car and started screaming until my sister-in-law and her husband came out to save me.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2023, 06:06:28 PM »
True story, my sister-in-law and her husband had a "pet" raccoon that they kept in their garage.  They built a screen about 2 feet high that the garage door would rest on to give the raccoon some air.  One day we were getting ready to leave their house and I was waiting outside for my wife.  The damn raccoon was hissing at me and scratching at the screen but I was just laughing at it. The thing backed away and the next thing I knew it was sliding down the garage door because it was open at the top.  I jumped on my car and started screaming until my sister-in-law and her husband came out to save me.

Wow!!!  They can be vicious. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2023, 06:14:53 PM »

How about a microwave?
Signed Chad Alvarez

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2023, 06:21:05 PM »
How about a microwave?
Signed Chad Alvarez

Now that is funny  :D

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2023, 08:25:04 PM »
Well, even if you did it might not be a great idea to start blasting away depending on your neighbor situation. Poison bait might be better than drowning?

Poison would be much crueler than drowning. At least drowning is quick. Organs shutting down in people or animals is a horrible way to go.