[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jerone Maymon Story  (Read 4536 times)

sailwi

• All American
Jerone Maymon Story
« on: March 19, 2009, 09:42:03 AM »
Didn't see this posted a Madison story about Jerone and his dad.  I know the Badget board loves to bash Maymon Senior, let's take a wait and see approach.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/443607

radome

• Team Captain
Re: Jerone Maymon Story
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:56:26 AM »
I love the idea of a fanatic parent (or any other fan) cheering their tail off at the games.  I'd like to be right beside him whooping it up over his son's great play or complaining about poor officiating.  As long as he is on our side I like it!

{Juggernaut}

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:18:30 AM »
I like all of the badger troll comments on the bottom of the article.
Da Bulls

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:47:59 AM »
I like all of the badger troll comments on the bottom of the article.

If those commentors' biggest gripe about the kid is his father then I'll continue to be excited to have him playing here next year.  Perhaps we can have a dance/cheer off between Maymon Sr. and Freeway?

Some UW@Madison players' fathers would be like that too if their sons didn't lull them to sleep with their inability to run the court and their 4-corners offense :P

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 11:02:44 AM »
It's impossible for me to imagine the parent of a Wisconsin player acting inappropriately at a game.

Oh, wait ...

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 11:34:10 AM »
Mr. Maymon should have a seat in the front of the student section reserved for him, haha

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »
It's impossible for me to imagine the parent of a Wisconsin player acting inappropriately at a game.

Oh, wait ...

That's the father of Kim & Kerry Hughes, right?  Al jumped up on the table after Maurice Lucas drilled about a 20 footer at the buzzer to beat Wis. in '74. A real thriller my freshman year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 02:12:04 PM »
Yep.  And its the background on my laptop.

BTW, as a parent of a high school basketball player, I always thought that it was my job to be a good example and not yell at the refs.  I didn't always succeed, but I only had an opposing school's AD talk to me twice!   ;)

Peoples_Republic_Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 03:09:04 PM »
Long time reader, first time poster, I'm a sophomore here at MU this year from madison. I went to west high (memorial's main rival) so I was fortunate enough to watch wes matthews and jeronne with some frequency. Unfortunately, I also had to watch jeronne's dad from across the gym. Maybe (probably) it was just because memorial would always kick my school's ass, but he was the most obnoxious person I've ever seen. Maybe I'll feel differently next year, and hopefully I will, but let me tell everyone from first hand experience--he's over the top in just about every way you could imagine. Regardless, I haven't seen jeronne play since my senior year, and I can't wait to watch him again next year!

p.s. please don't confuse me with one of those closet badger fans who goes to MU but roots for them also. I pride myself on openly rooting against the badgers in every sport, especially among my die-hard badger fan friends from home, many of whom attend UW. Here's hoping for a resounding W for the bald eagles tomorrow and a convincing L for the rodents.

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »

Welcome PRW!!!

I am going to watch the MM game tonight not only to see JM but to see if they show his father.  The article about him was intriguing to say the least...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »
PRW....Madison West '86 here.

Nice to have you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 03:27:15 PM »
Look on the bright side ... MU finally will have someone the ESPN cameras can show to counter the ever-present Janice McAlarney.

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 03:29:31 PM »
I really do not like it when parents live through their kids.  The parents had their had their entire life to live/do whatever the hell they want and this is what you do?  Seems strange but a lot of parents do it.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 03:35:26 PM »
Maymon's father does sound obnoxious, to say the least. More like a little crazy. A parent who not only gets on high school basketball refs, but also the opposing players. These are teenage boys. Cheering for and offering encouragement to his son and his team is obviously fine. But it sounds like he goes way beyond that. He's 43 going on 9, apparently. There's a big difference between college kids acting stupid at a game and a grown man well into middle age. And, according to the article, he's a former cocaine dealer to boot. Hmmm...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 03:39:57 PM »
I don't care what the father does, he can run around in his jockstrap or sit with the band for all I care.  This team needs a beast, a rebounder with hands, an athlete, and if his kid puts up any PF numbers close or even half of his HS numbers (18pts and 10rebs) his freshman year, so be it. Bring it home Jeronne.  

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »
The other thing to consider is the environment at the BC is a lot different than a high school gym.  You can definately be noticed more easily when you are one of 1,000 than one of 15,000.

I would guess the dad will be fine and look forward to Jeronne playing at MU.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 05:28:52 PM »
The other thing to consider is the environment at the BC is a lot different than a high school gym.  You can definately be noticed more easily when you are one of 1,000 than one of 15,000.

Exactly.  And the only two people that I've know to get "noticed"....Freeway, and Jump Around Guy (RA Smith).  If you're that obnoxious at a college game - fame is in your future.  Sadly, you only have a 50% chance at fortune :)

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 06:09:24 PM »
Look on the bright side ... MU finally will have someone the ESPN cameras can show to counter the ever-present Janice McAlarney.

+1 Exquisite, P.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 06:14:21 PM »
As long as he doesn't come out on the floor and contest a call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 07:23:12 PM »
As long as he doesn't come out on the floor and contest a call

If he does, I'm sure he'll call a timeout first.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"