collapse

* Recent Posts

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1130656 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #8250 on: September 10, 2020, 02:44:14 PM »
Well it rings hollow coming from the man wit blood on his hands. It's wrong and he's wrong, but Woodward created a window of opportunity for him. Its an indictment of our time that we need our democratic infrastructure outside of Agent Orange to be above reproach, but we do, because Trump has shown he will lean on whataboutisms to no end.

So, bottom line is this, because you and I agree with who is to blame and that Trump's core base would be unmoved: I'm not outraged at Woodward as if he could have solved this, and I don't hold him up as some would-be savior. I'm (extreme dad voice) disappointed. It was a missed opportunity for journalism writ large and invited some valid critiques of media practices at a time where we need them at their best. And Woodward, in my opinion, fell short.

Seems we really don’t disagree too much on this.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8251 on: September 10, 2020, 02:46:45 PM »
Well it rings hollow coming from the man wit blood on his hands. It's wrong and he's wrong, but Woodward created a window of opportunity for him. Its an indictment of our time that we need our democratic infrastructure outside of Agent Orange to be above reproach, but we do, because Trump has shown he will lean on whataboutisms to no end.

So, bottom line is this, because you and I agree with who is to blame and that Trump's core base would be unmoved: I'm not outraged at Woodward as if he could have solved this, and I don't hold him up as some would-be savior. I'm (extreme dad voice) disappointed. It was a missed opportunity for journalism writ large and invited some valid critiques of media practices at a time where we need them at their best. And Woodward, in my opinion, fell short.

I think that's a reasonable position.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8252 on: September 10, 2020, 02:56:42 PM »
This is sort of a side discussion, but it baffles me why Trump was talking to Woodward in the first place. His last book in 2018 was highly critical of Trump, and usually that sort thing prompts  undying antagonism from the POTUS. But here he is have multiple extensive conversations with Woodward...I don't get it.

See former Sen. Claire McCaskil's rant using stupid about 20 times.

"Who thought talking to Bob Woodward, let alone 18 times, for a book that he told you was coming out before the election would help you in any way?"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8253 on: September 10, 2020, 03:16:04 PM »

Hubris - he thought he could control the narrative, paint a positive picture, and hold the book up as a monument to his greatness. It's the only thing that makes any sense.

That's probably it. And he has gone through life without ever being held accountable for his actions, so it's easy to see how he developed this attitude.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8254 on: September 10, 2020, 03:25:27 PM »
A new study warns the virus is ‘a life-threatening disease in people of all ages.’

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/world/covid-19-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage#link-39f95f8a

The research letter from Harvard found that among 3,222 young adults hospitalized with Covid-19, 88 died — about 2.7 percent. One in five required intensive care, and one in 10 needed a ventilator to assist with breathing.

Among those who survived, 99 patients, or 3 percent, could not be sent home from the hospital and were transferred to facilities for ongoing care or rehabilitation.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #8255 on: September 10, 2020, 03:48:34 PM »
A new study warns the virus is ‘a life-threatening disease in people of all ages.’

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/world/covid-19-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage#link-39f95f8a

The research letter from Harvard found that among 3,222 young adults hospitalized with Covid-19, 88 died — about 2.7 percent. One in five required intensive care, and one in 10 needed a ventilator to assist with breathing.

Among those who survived, 99 patients, or 3 percent, could not be sent home from the hospital and were transferred to facilities for ongoing care or rehabilitation.

Interesting it was from over 400 hospitals in the US with young adults that had been hospitalized with covid of which most had underlying condition.  Love how headlines try to bring out the fear. 

The senior author of the research letter, Dr. Scott D. Solomon, a professor of medicine at Harvard, emphasized that despite the rise in coronavirus cases among young people, the proportion who become so sick that they require hospitalization remains low.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8256 on: September 10, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »
Interesting it was from over 400 hospitals in the US with young adults that had been hospitalized with covid of which most had underlying condition.  Love how headlines try to bring out the fear. 

The senior author of the research letter, Dr. Scott D. Solomon, a professor of medicine at Harvard, emphasized that despite the rise in coronavirus cases among young people, the proportion who become so sick that they require hospitalization remains low.

True, but if you read the publication itself, it still emphasizes the importance of prevention.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2770542?guestAccessKey=87e8344a-8e2f-4ca8-8e1a-95be53bbf71e&utm_source=silverchair&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=article_alert-jamainternalmedicine&utm_content=olf&utm_term=090920

Given the sharply rising rates of COVID-19 infection in young adults, these findings underscore the importance of infection prevention measures in this age group.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #8257 on: September 10, 2020, 04:08:40 PM »

True, but if you read the publication itself, it still emphasizes the importance of prevention.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2770542?guestAccessKey=87e8344a-8e2f-4ca8-8e1a-95be53bbf71e&utm_source=silverchair&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=article_alert-jamainternalmedicine&utm_content=olf&utm_term=090920

Given the sharply rising rates of COVID-19 infection in young adults, these findings underscore the importance of infection prevention measures in this age group.

I get it we all need to be careful but those in the high risk categories need to be more careful

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8258 on: September 10, 2020, 04:17:43 PM »
I get it we all need to be careful but those in the high risk categories need to be more careful

What exactly does that mean? Lower risk people can wear a mask every other time they are in a social situation? They wash their hands every other time they touch some thing that might be contaminated?

It seems to me either you are careful or you aren’t.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #8259 on: September 10, 2020, 05:44:57 PM »

What exactly does that mean? Lower risk people can wear a mask every other time they are in a social situation? They wash their hands every other time they touch some thing that might be contaminated?

It seems to me either you are careful or you aren’t.

maybe higher risk people attend school virtually or avoid situations that could present more risk.  The masks are not 100% cure all

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8260 on: September 10, 2020, 06:34:16 PM »
maybe higher risk people attend school virtually or avoid situations that could present more risk.  The masks are not 100% cure all

If I'm high risk, I do things like curbside groceries instead of going in (honestly everyone should do this). But absent everyone masking and doing the right thing for the common good, the only true option for high risk people is withdrawal from society.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8261 on: September 10, 2020, 06:48:34 PM »
Whether Woodward should have released the info earlier is a valid question question but irrelevant to the questions about the actions and mindset of the President, and should not be used to cloud that issue.

Bottom line?

President Woodward should have been more honest with the American people.  :-\

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8262 on: September 10, 2020, 07:35:23 PM »
Bottom line?

President Woodward should have been more honest with the American people.  :-\

Do you get all of your material from the trends on twatter?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8263 on: September 10, 2020, 08:07:58 PM »
Do you get all of your material from the trends on twatter?

I don’t do twitter - or Facebook, Instagram, etc.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8264 on: September 11, 2020, 02:35:30 PM »
So are we "rounding the corner" or we at a "disturbing" place in the pandemic? Depends on who you believe....

U.S. coronavirus data is ‘disturbing,’ Dr. Fauci says, disputing Trump’s claim that U.S. is ‘rounding the corner’

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/11/us-coronavirus-data-is-disturbing-dr-fauci-says-in-disputing-trump.html

“When you have a baseline of infections that are 40,000 per day and you have threats of increased test positivity in certain regions of the country, such as the Dakotas and Montana and places like that. ... You don’t want to start off already with a baseline that’s so high,” he said.

He added that the concerns are heightened by the approaching fall and winter seasons, which will likely push people indoors where the virus can spread more easily.

Fauci said the U.S. will be in a “more precarious situation” in the fall and winter and if the country continues to report the current level of new cases everyday, it will put the U.S. at “a disadvantage right from the very beginning.” Over the past couple of weeks, Fauci and other top health officials have repeatedly warned that cases must continue to decline as the country approaches colder weather. Earlier this month, Fauci said daily new cases were “unacceptably high” this close to fall.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8265 on: September 11, 2020, 03:53:27 PM »
So are we "rounding the corner" or we at a "disturbing" place in the pandemic? Depends on who you believe....

U.S. coronavirus data is ‘disturbing,’ Dr. Fauci says, disputing Trump’s claim that U.S. is ‘rounding the corner’

Really tough choice.

A guy who has never lied on record or a guy who has well upward of 20,000 verified lies over 3 1/2+ years.

Gonna have to think about it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8266 on: September 11, 2020, 06:33:11 PM »
OT:

The stuff that's coming out from Woodward's time with Trump is absolutely bananas.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8267 on: September 11, 2020, 10:27:48 PM »
Do not trust the CDC.

The Health & Human Services politically appointed communications aides have demanded the right to review and seek changes to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s weekly scientific reports charting the progress of the coronavirus pandemic, in what officials characterized as an attempt to intimidate the reports’ authors and water down their communications to health professionals.

In some cases, emails from communications aides to CDC Director Robert Redfield and other senior officials openly complained that the agency’s reports would undermine President Donald Trump's optimistic messages about the outbreak, according to emails reviewed by POLITICO and three people familiar with the situation.
CDC officials have fought back against the most sweeping changes, but have increasingly agreed to allow the political officials to review the reports and, in a few cases, compromised on the wording, according to three people familiar with the exchanges. The communications aides’ efforts to change the language in the CDC’s reports have been constant across the summer and continued as recently as Friday afternoon.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 10:57:39 PM by Jockey »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8268 on: September 12, 2020, 08:53:52 AM »
Not that any of this is surprising since we’ve been discussing this since the beginning.  But here is the link to the prior posts clip.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/11/exclusive-trump-officials-interfered-with-cdc-reports-on-covid-19-412809

It’s so sad that optimism and realism somehow do not cross paths right now. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8269 on: September 12, 2020, 09:07:58 AM »
Not that any of this is surprising since we’ve been discussing this since the beginning.  But here is the link to the prior posts clip.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/11/exclusive-trump-officials-interfered-with-cdc-reports-on-covid-19-412809

It’s so sad that optimism and realism somehow do not cross paths right now.

I'm a healthcare professional.

This stuff is exactly why I won't be getting any vaccine that is released in the next couple years.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8270 on: September 12, 2020, 09:11:32 AM »

This stuff is exactly why I won't be getting any vaccine that is released in the next couple years.

Mission accomplished.  People who want to believe in govt don't trust....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8271 on: September 12, 2020, 09:43:40 AM »

I feel the same way. I work on the regulatory side (research oversight) and have historically trusted FDA despite a few good faith mistakes in the past, but I have decided not to get a vaccine until it has been approved by both FDA and EMA.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8272 on: September 12, 2020, 10:20:39 AM »
So just travel to Europe and get theirs...

Oh, wait a minute.

But seriously, Canada isn't far.

Oh, wait a minute.

Mexico? Oh we're still banned?

So we've turned the most widely accepted passport in the world into an ID card?   Neat.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8273 on: September 12, 2020, 10:27:26 AM »
This is really sad news. The goal of trump and Putin is to destroy trust in American institutions. They have been successful.

Even worse, they are in the process of destroying our trust in the bedrock of democracy - fair elections.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8274 on: September 12, 2020, 10:48:52 AM »
For those that think that the reason hard hit areas are keeping cases low due to breadth of spread or ‘burn through’ versus countermeasures. 

https://twitter.com/_miguelhernan/status/1304424019450630144?s=21

feedback