[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: So, when does USA split up into different countries?  (Read 9374 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: So, when does USA split up into different countries?
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2021, 07:55:24 PM »
Gingrich mastered the art if weoponizing politics. If we're looking for threads that lead to the modern day, he's a pretty good place to start
Was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it. Newt was the genesis of the current divide, he decided to go scorched earth politics. However, even Newt never contemplated a violent overthrow of the U.S. government.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2021, 08:12:05 PM »
Depends on exactly where you live.  I wouldn't want to live in inner-city Memphis. But there are plenty of places that are highly ranked.  There are affordable suburbs in the Nashville area that are safe, have great schools and are served by Vanderbilt healthcare.

Where are the numbers for tax burden? Climate? Cost of living?

I don't mean this to sound as snarky as it probably will sound, but choosing one's home based on climate, tax burden and cost of living - not to mention choosing the right neighborhood  - is a benefit of being a person of means.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 08:13:44 PM by Pakuni »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2021, 08:13:03 PM »
Gingrich mastered the art if weoponizing politics. If we're looking for threads that lead to the modern day, he's a pretty good place to start

I was going to say it was there before, but Gingrinch was the starting gun.  The ego that he has, he even says "Your welcome" in an interview in The Atlantic a year or two ago

The Koch Brother funded fake "Tea Party" amplified.

Trump just said it out loud proudly and added violence and "sore loserism".

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2021, 08:20:40 PM »
I don't mean this to sound as snarky as it probably will sound, but choosing one's home based on climate, tax burden and cost of living - not to mention choosing the right neighborhood  - is a benefit of being a person of means.

This isn’t snarky - just true. More means = more choices.

4everwarriors

• All American
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2021, 08:26:05 PM »

The original discussion was about moving to a new location.  As a general rule, people without means  don't move from one state to another.  And if they do, it's probably because they believe they can improve their situation.
Have some patience, FFS.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2021, 08:32:02 PM »

I think Gingrich was the tipping point. But that was still a long time coming. If we want to find the nexus, I might go with Lyndon Johnson signing the civil rights act.

That led to Nixon employing the Southern Strategy and divided the nation between Liberal Democrats, and largely Southern Conservative Republicans. Reagan exploited this further, attacking how liberals were threatening America (attacks on Gays/Feminism).

Nixon and Reagan were the nexus of fear mongering about the dangers of liberals changing what made America great.

Gingrich extended this with a scorched Earth mentality, and the dawn of extreme personal attacks.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2021, 08:35:20 PM »
So collectively, the Scoop Intelligentsia has managed to blame 50 years of Republicans and 0 democrats.

Y'all would be hilarious if you weren't so collectively stupid.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2021, 08:38:04 PM »
Depends on exactly where you live.  I wouldn't want to live in inner-city Memphis. But there are plenty of places that are highly ranked.  There are affordable suburbs in the Nashville area that are safe, have great schools and are served by Vanderbilt healthcare.

Where are the numbers for tax burden? Climate? Cost of living?

This made me sad. I liked this place, plus the building was beautiful. Parking a nightmare though.

Flying Saucer taproom in downtown Nashville to close after 23 years

https://amp.tennessean.com/amp/8849854002

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2021, 08:42:37 PM »
So collectively, the Scoop Intelligentsia has managed to blame 50 years of Republicans and 0 democrats.

Fair and balanced eh

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2021, 08:44:20 PM »

When Democrats attempt a violent overthrow of the U.S. government you can have a turn at pinpointing the starting point.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2021, 08:46:27 PM »
When Democrats attempt a violent overthrow of the U.S. government you can have a turn at pinpointing the starting point.

🤡

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2021, 08:50:20 PM »

I think you are being a bit disingenuous.

The divide did start with the signing of the Civil Rights act, by Johnson. That led to Nixon's Southern Strategy, and a clear demarcation between the parties. Before this, in the 50's, there were actually concerns the two parties were too similar and hard to distinguish from each other.

How the rest gets frameworked is going to inherently be shaped by the political lens you look through. Many find fault in the Rep strategy of fear mongering in relation to the "changing face" of America.

I find it hard to not view the two parties as below, but that is through my lens:

Democrats: We want to make America better.
Republicans: They want to take "your" great America away from you.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 09:19:59 PM by forgetful »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2021, 08:56:55 PM »

When, as an arm of the #Resistance, the Republican Party attempts a coup/overthrow of the government based on information that they know is “trumped” up/phony you can jump right back up on your high horse.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2021, 08:58:00 PM »

You need to read about the Great Migration from the south to the Midwest and East. Those weren’t rich Caucasian folks looking for factory jobs in Chicago, Cleveland or Detroit.

Or the Okies moving to California during the rust bowl.

People move in search of Economic opportunity all the time. Look at Nashville’s population in 1970, versus now. Tennessee boys may like Tennessee girls, but not enough to more than double the region’s population. There aren’t that many Catholics or Mormons in the state. It’s economic opportunity, climate and quality of life that draws people there.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2021, 09:09:57 PM »

Let’s hear what you’ve got.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2021, 09:17:49 PM »
When, as an arm of the #Resistance, the Republican Party attempts a coup/overthrow of the government based on information that they know is “trumped” up/phony you can jump right back up on your high horse.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. ???

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2021, 11:07:20 PM »
Tennessee state ranking:

Education - 33rd
Health - 40th
Homicide - 42nd
Violent crime - 48th
Economy - 16th
Poverty - 42nd

Paradise on earth, I tell you.
Seriously, I'm sure Tennessee is lovely if you're a person of means. But doesn't seem so swell for the average person.
We have a lot of business interests in Tennessee. The state is a great place to live and raise a family . We have a lot of exposure to all types of people in the state and there is a definitely a unique culture which I enjoy. Same as I enjoy the unique Wisconsin culture.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2021, 08:17:29 AM »

Yeah, but at least Laura Ingraham and Sean Hannity texted Mark Meadows, asking him to beg the then-White House occupant to stop his deadly coup attempt, so give 'em credit!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2021, 08:17:51 AM »
You need to read about the Great Migration from the south to the Midwest and East. Those weren’t rich Caucasian folks looking for factory jobs in Chicago, Cleveland or Detroit.

Or the Okies moving to California during the rust bowl.

People move in search of Economic opportunity all the time. Look at Nashville’s population in 1970, versus now. Tennessee boys may like Tennessee girls, but not enough to more than double the region’s population. There aren’t that many Catholics or Mormons in the state. It’s economic opportunity, climate and quality of life that draws people there.

There are all sorts of articles out there about the decline labor mobility in the United States over the last fifty years.  It's more expensive to move and people have a greater sense of "rootedness" than they did before.  Furthermore labor mobility increases with education and income.  (Theory being that people who make more money can travel back "home" more often.)

For instance, in 1960 only 20% of the people living in LA were born in California.  It's now 70%.

This is why the unemployed person in West Virginia isn't moving to LA to take a job at the Port of LA.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 14, 2021, 08:39:31 AM »

There are all sorts of articles out there about the decline labor mobility in the United States over the last fifty years.  It's more expensive to move and people have a greater sense of "rootedness" than they did before.  Furthermore labor mobility increases with education and income.  (Theory being that people who make more money can travel back "home" more often.)

For instance, in 1960 only 20% of the people living in LA were born in California.  It's now 70%.

This is why the unemployed person in West Virginia isn't moving to LA to take a job at the Port of LA.
An unemployed person in West Virginia isn't moving to LA because it's not affordable to live there and certainly less attractive to live there than it was years ago.  There's a housing shortage, housing costs are through the roof, taxes are sky high, traffic congestion is the worst in the country, the homeless and drug addicts have taken over the streets, crime and gang activity is increasing and DAs won't prosecute criminals, etc. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #121 on: December 14, 2021, 08:57:02 AM »
An unemployed person in West Virginia isn't moving to LA because it's not affordable to live there and certainly less attractive to live there than it was years ago.  There's a housing shortage, housing costs are through the roof, taxes are sky high, traffic congestion is the worst in the country, the homeless and drug addicts have taken over the streets, crime and gang activity is increasing and DAs won't prosecute criminals, etc. 

Yet people still move there.  Weird.

Anyway, you can change the location all you want.  Its the same issue.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2021, 11:01:40 AM »

Yet people still move there.  Weird.

Clearly people still do, but I would be curious to see demographic trends of people moving to LA/SF.  SF is a bit different due to the preponderance of tech industry jobs, but everyone I know that moved to LA was younger and unmarried at the time, save for married friends of mine but that was home for them.  Weather, fun culture, entertainment industry aspirations, etc..  are all a draw to a younger demo but then fades a bit with age and other obligations. 

My greater set of friends in LA is predominantly a mid 30s set of business professionals who met through various USC undergrad and business school connections and about a quarter of them have migrated out in the last 2-3 years including a pair of native Angelenos who moved to Denver and Dallas.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2021, 11:03:17 AM »
I'm only 30. I might not have noticed it during bush or something but it just didn't seem as divided. But there's definitely not going to be any one starting point it's all a slow trend with a few major escalation moments.

it was, but there wasn't social media to bring it into the open.

Poll after poll is showing people who don't want to live next to people with different political beliefs, date people with political beliefs, shop at stores who supports certain candidates, etc. The biggest divide is amongst young people (the social media generation) and by left leaning individuals who overwhelmingly won't associate with people of a different political stance. https://www.newsweek.com/71-percent-democrats-college-wouldnt-date-trump-voter-poll-finds-1657145

It seems the "party of tolerance" is the least tolerant and most in favor of segregation based upon political beliefs.

A new poll released Tuesday revealed that 71 percent of Democrats in college would not date someone who voted for former President Donald Trump.

The poll also showed that only 31 percent of college GOP members said they wouldn't date someone who voted for President Joe Biden.

Beyond dating, the new poll also examined other aspects of social life among politically active college students in regards to those with opposite views.

When it comes to either shopping at or supporting the business of a Trump voter, the poll revealed that 41 percent of Democrats would not do so, compared to just seven percent of Republicans unwilling to do business with a Biden voter.

In terms of the office, the poll found that again, many more Democrats were unwilling to work for a Trump voter, 30 percent, than Republicans were unwilling to work for a Biden voter, only 7 percent.

Beyond the professional space, the poll even examined the willingness of college students to be friends with someone who voted for the opposite candidate. Of those responding in this category, 37 percent of Democrats said they wouldn't be friends with a Trump voter, but only 5 percent of Republicans said the same about a Biden voter.

And we're even moving backwards when it comes to race relations. In the aftermath of a racial hoax at Smith College, the ACLU demanded segregated residence halls. More colleges are moving in that direction too at the request of Black students. Sad stuff.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 11:04:57 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2021, 11:07:54 AM »
Clearly people still do, but I would be curious to see demographic trends of people moving to LA/SF.  SF is a bit different due to the preponderance of tech industry jobs, but everyone I know that moved to LA was younger and unmarried at the time, save for married friends of mine but that was home for them.  Weather, fun culture, entertainment industry aspirations, etc..  are all a draw to a younger demo but then fades a bit with age and other obligations. 

My greater set of friends in LA is predominantly a mid 30s set of business professionals who met through various USC undergrad and business school connections and about a quarter of them have migrated out in the last 2-3 years including a pair of native Angelenos who moved to Denver and Dallas.
Not sure how accurate this is, as I found it on the interwebs.

https://www.ppic.org/blog/whos-leaving-california-and-whos-moving-in/

And please no jokes about correlating the theory that smarter people are moving to California, and less intelligent are leaving to Chicos moving to Idaho.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 11:42:07 AM by lawdog77 »

feedback