collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Rome Suggestions  (Read 3252 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Rome Suggestions
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:12:30 AM »
Headed to Rome (the one in Italy not Wisconsin) next week for 3 days. Obviously there's tons of stuff but it's not much time so what's a must do, eat, see and what's overrated and I can save till I go back at some point?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Rome Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:59:31 AM »
The Vatican is great, but takes a LOT of time. Colosseum is worth seeing from the outside, but IMHO the tours are overrated.

If you have limited museum time, the Galleria Borghese is awesome and you can get through it in a fraction of the time of the Vatican.

Other notable places worth seeing in limited time (all within walking distance of each other):

Campo dei Fiori market
Pantheon
Trevi Fountain
Spanish Steps (at night, when lit up)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:09:31 AM »
Might dig out some of my notes from when the Mrs and I went two years ago. But for now here are three basic rules about eating out in Italy.

1. Never eat anywhere near the main tourist attractions, they are over priced and the worst food in the city. Go at least a few blocks away.

2. Never eat anywhere that there are pictures of the food outside. Don't know why but someone told us that when we went. We ignored it once and it was easily the worst meal we ate all trip.

3. You can ask for a doggie bag but prepare to get the stink eye. It's considered rude to not clear your plate
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:11:02 AM »
The Vatican is great, but takes a LOT of time. Colosseum is worth seeing from the outside, but IMHO the tours are overrated.

If you have limited museum time, the Galleria Borghese is awesome and you can get through it in a fraction of the time of the Vatican.

Other notable places worth seeing in limited time (all within walking distance of each other):

Campo dei Fiori market
Pantheon
Trevi Fountain
Spanish Steps (at night, when lit up)

I was a huge fan of the Colosseum. Didn't take a tour, but bought tickets to see the inside and was definitely the highlight of my trip to Rome.

All the free stuff like the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps are all easily doable in one night. Remember getting some gelato and just chilling at the Trevi Fountain for like a hour at night. That was a pretty surreal moment.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »
If you're only there 3 days, waiting to see the inside of the Colosseum and Vatican isn't worth it, they're just as impressive from the exterior.

The Piazza Navona won't have the crowds that the Pantheon or Trevi Fountain have (although they're worth seeing too) and is worth seeing.  I was impressed by the night life along the Tiber, although it might be too early in the season for that.  Although not always open, the gardens behind the Medici Villa are impressive too.  The Stadio Olimpico is also cool, but wouldn't be worth a stop unless there's an event going on.  Check and see when Roma have their home leg of the Champions league semi-final, would be amazing to see unless you're not into soccer, but the whole town will be celebrating if they win.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »
Two solid restaurants mostly patronized by locals:

Al Gran Sasso - Just off the Piazza Del Popolo
http://www.algransasso.com/

Trattoria Monti - In the Monti neighborhood near Termini station.
http://www.timeout.com/rome/restaurants-cafes/venue/1%3A6740/trattoria-monti

Al Gran Sasso won't be the best Italian you've ever had but offers well executed and reasonably priced Roman staples.  I ate there twice on my last trip a couple of years ago and was never disappointed.

Trattoria Monti is a little more quiet and upscale but also very good and again not Touristy.  Of the two, Al Gran Sasso is more centrally located and may have a few more non Roman tourists, than Trattoria Monti but mostly still locals.  You can't go wrong at either, but neither are on trend of the moment spots for Rome's beautiful people crowd which from my perspective is a plus.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 09:46:25 AM by Disco Hippie »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 09:59:43 AM »
Have a take, don't suck, clone.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 10:08:56 AM »
I'll double down on the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.

My suggestion would be Castel Sant'Angelo. Just down the road from Vatican City but much less crowded. On a bank of the Tiber and it has all the history, charm, and art you'd want from an Italian experience. Also not that far from Navona if you end up spending time in that Piazza.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 11:05:01 AM »
Find some Romans and do whatever they do.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 11:14:10 AM »
I tink Jim Rome oughta pound sand. Neva liked dat sob, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 11:45:47 AM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 11:49:07 AM »
Here you go: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=52948.0

Thanks, still need to differentiate what's a must do and what I can put on the back burner though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 11:52:25 AM »
Might dig out some of my notes from when the Mrs and I went two years ago. But for now here are three basic rules about eating out in Italy.

1. Never eat anywhere near the main tourist attractions, they are over priced and the worst food in the city. Go at least a few blocks away.

2. Never eat anywhere that there are pictures of the food outside. Don't know why but someone told us that when we went. We ignored it once and it was easily the worst meal we ate all trip.

3. You can ask for a doggie bag but prepare to get the stink eye. It's considered rude to not clear your plate

Yep.  Per the recommendation of a friend of mine who lived there for a few years...

Head to the Jewish Ghetto, walk around during the morning/midday, find a restaurant with an old woman peeling vegetables or doing some sort of prep work outside, step in and make a reservation, and prepare for amazing authentic food.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 12:04:19 PM »
My sources say it wasn't built in a day.

But that doesn't mean one American tourist can't destroy it in a few hours!

Seriously, have a great, safe, fun trip.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 12:10:44 PM »
If you go to the Vatican, go early in the day, especially if you want to go to the museums and Sistine Chapel.  There's one day a week where the museums are free (don't remember which)...don't go that day unless you want huge crowds.

Oh and anytime you go to a church, wear pants (guys) and past-the-knee skirts/dresses with shoulders covered (women).  I stood in line behind a woman for 45 minutes to get into St. Peter's only for her to get turned away at the security entrance for having exposed shoulders.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 12:15:13 PM »
If you go to the Vatican, go early in the day, especially if you want to go to the museums and Sistine Chapel.  There's one day a week where the museums are free (don't remember which)...don't go that day unless you want huge crowds.

Oh and anytime you go to a church, wear pants (guys) and past-the-knee skirts/dresses with shoulders covered (women).  I stood in line behind a woman for 45 minutes to get into St. Peter's only for her to get turned away at the security entrance for having exposed shoulders.

It's once a month, and its the first Saturday of every month IIRC, but agree that everything is exponentially more crowded that day.

If you are there during the Champions League game, and Roma win, expect celebrations to go well into the morning as its probably the biggest game that city has seen in over a decade.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 12:31:59 PM »
I recommend going to the Vatican with a poster of Chartouny and the words:

THIS IS THE REAL JC!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 09:00:15 PM »
Try the pizza. Dominos in Rome is out of this world.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 09:38:36 PM »
Most of these suggestions are very good.  But I believe that there is one absolute MUST see in Rome:  the Museum at the Villa Borghese.  The Bernini sculptures are sublime; really, for me, life changing.  Like many of you, I have been to dozens of art museums, cathedrals, breathtaking natural vistas etc., but for me, other than maybe the Northern Lights, nothing else comes close.  I did not know that works of art could have that impact on me.

However, one of the best things about the museum is that it limits the number of attendees, so you need to get a reservation ahead of time.  You may be too late for next week, but PLEASE TRY.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 09:39:11 PM »
Try the pizza. Dominos in Rome is out of this world.

And try the chili

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 07:56:08 AM »

Vatican museum is spectacular but it is NOT worth it when it’s incredibly crowded. It is worth booking a private tour guide for, if only so you don’t have to wait in line (you can find them online for totally reasonable prices - or even hire them right outside of the museum). Still, the museum can be so clogged that it really inhibits the experience and becomes more of a “check the box” activity. So go first thing in the morning or don’t go at all.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 08:36:47 AM »
be sure to take a whizz in the street, aina?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »
Best meal we ate was at a small place called Mamma Angela's. The Sea Bass was amazing and the wine list was fantastic. It's a bit out of the way but worth it.

Best Gelato was Gelateria La Romana and we ate gelato almost every night.

Vatican was my favorite part but we sprung for a guided tour. Allowed us to skip the lines.

May not be feasible but when the Mrs and I went we also visited Florence and Venice. Florence was by far my favorite stop. All the culture and beauty of Rome without the crowds.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 05:56:54 PM »
Best meal we ate was at a small place called Mamma Angela's. The Sea Bass was amazing and the wine list was fantastic. It's a bit out of the way but worth it.

Best Gelato was Gelateria La Romana and we ate gelato almost every night.

Vatican was my favorite part but we sprung for a guided tour. Allowed us to skip the lines.

May not be feasible but when the Mrs and I went we also visited Florence and Venice. Florence was by far my favorite stop. All the culture and beauty of Rome without the crowds.

Definitely would like to see those cities but just doing a stop there after visiting my new campus in IRL so probs not feasible.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 08:14:03 PM »
My wife, two teenage daughters and I went at the end of June 2016.  It was 95 the two days we were in Rome so that made the Colussium much less enjoyable.  It was too hot to stand in line for that so we just walked around outside and in the immediate area which was still interesting.  At the risk of excommunication, we were not impressed by the Sistine Chapel, but St. Peters was stunning and the highlight of Rome for me.  That said, I'm an engineer, not an art major.  Loved Trevi Fountain. Spanish Steps were closed for maintenance.  Got gelato the 1st two days and it turned into a quest to have a Scoop a day for the whole vacation.  We walked so much I wasn't concerned about it's impact.

Our stay in Rome was compressed because we only had 9 days in Italy and we hit Rome, San Giminano, Vernazza (Cinque Terre) and Venice. A little like Clark Griswald at the Grand Canyon.

Each city/town was so different from the others it was like 4 different vacations.  We loved Vernazza and Venice.  San Giminano is a walled city that was a great one day side trip. Very cool.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »
Yep.  Per the recommendation of a friend of mine who lived there for a few years...

Head to the Jewish Ghetto, walk around during the morning/midday, find a restaurant with an old woman peeling vegetables or doing some sort of prep work outside, step in and make a reservation, and prepare for amazing authentic food.

This. Any really good restaurant in Rome will require reservations.

As far as must does. Pantheon is a must do. You can see the Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps easily from there. You can actually miss the steps if you can live without saying you were there.
I would pick the Forum over the inside of the Colosseum. If you can find a guide it is a cool tour.

Off the beaten path, we loved the Baths at Caracalla, the Pyramid and the next door cemetery, the only non Catholic one in Rome.

Lastly, one of my favorite bars is in Trestavere, called the Football Pub. Great beers. The real name is Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà (loosely translated - What am I doing here?). Trestavere is a great neighborhood just to stroll around.

Whichever piazza you pick (I like Navona), make sure you sit, have a drink and a snack and people watch.

source?

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 03:12:55 PM »
I don't have much to offer beyond what's already been mentioned, but two things are good to know:

1.if it's a must see, go st 9 am or earlier. Beat the crowds, better for pictures, feels more intimate.

2. Anyone asking you to sign something, hold something, "take this, free!", or "I'll take your picture, free!" , is not doing you a favor and will try to get money from you and may berate or threaten you if you accept it and don't give them something. Tell them to pound sand.