[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UMass player comes out  (Read 5138 times)

Pakuni

• All American
UMass player comes out
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:32:58 AM »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: UMass player comes out
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:43:55 AM »
First openly gay D-1 hoops player.

http://deadspin.com/umass-guard-derrick-gordon-comes-out-as-gay-1561288873

Jason Collins NBA, Michael Sam College Football, Several others from less prominent programs in college ....

The dominoes are falling. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »
Almost think its tougher for a college kid to come out then a professional. Good for him, expect many more to come.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:57:04 AM »
Almost think its tougher for a college kid to come out then a professional. Good for him, expect many more to come.

I think it's the opposite.  On professional teams, you have older players that are used to the status quo.  The younger generation these days has been brought up in a much more accepting/tolerant environment  of homosexuality.  Take a look at all the programming on TV that exists that has a gay person in it.  Repeated imagery and viewing begins to eliminate discomfort for those who are "skeptical".  There are support groups in high schools as well that are for gay rights.  I think this has a heavy influence on the younger generation, which increases tolerance through mass acceptance. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:37 AM »
Tim Hardaway is gonna be pissed.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »
I don't know how to embed YouTube videos on my phone but

http://youtu.be/-AIyK9wPVaE

I hope someday a gay person in the locker room is as accepted as a black person in the locker room.

Jason Collins NBA, Michael Sam College Football, Several others from less prominent programs in college ....

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 10:12:23 AM »

I'm sure there's a broken TV somewhere.  Either way, Best Buy's profit margins are hurting.  This will help... better than nothing, eh?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 12:36:28 PM »
-zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 01:42:08 PM »

I hope someday a gay person in the locker room is as accepted as a black person in the locker room.

Soon they will... in every locker room except the home team's in the Kohl Center.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 01:45:13 PM »

The Onion, per usual, had the best take by far on that whole situation.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »
About time.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »

The media didn't seem to care, but Robbie Rogers came out last fall. I'd consider him the first US professional athlete that came out while playing. Plays for the LA Galaxy in MLS. Former USMNT player and Euro player.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 05:50:47 PM »

Hey! Navy! You are out of line, Mister! Making irrelevant comparisons to things African American is the domain of Pakuni!

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 08:43:41 PM »
Heard he's a minuteman.

6'3" player who shoots 0/4 3FG (1.5% of his attempts were 3FGA) on the season and 53% from the line? Something was up.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 01:15:38 PM »
6'3" player who shoots 0/4 3FG (1.5% of his attempts were 3FGA) on the season and 53% from the line? Something was up.

Heard he's a lock down defender who seals on back door plays

Death on call

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »
Heard he's a lock down defender who seals on back door plays

But how is he in the post?  Can he handle being slammed around by big men? 

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »

Blacks and Hispanics are the locker room in most sports.

Also, most still feel homosexuality is a choice, unlike skin tone.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 01:32:26 PM »
But how is he in the post?  Can he handle being slammed around by big men? 

He must be good in the post as he prefers to play with his back to the basket

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Blacks and Hispanics are the locker room in most sports.

Also, most still feel homosexuality is a choice, unlike skin tone.

I wouldnt say most. If were talking about the true south then yes but as a general consensus now a days people dont believe that. It could also be that im just used to my generation being more progressive.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 02:11:53 PM »
progressive.

It's not a matter of being progressive. Personally, I don't care who anyone chooses to sleep with or how any stranger wishes to spend their time. In the same way I have no interest in a Kardashian I don't think the private life of a college kid in MA is newsworthy.

Does anyone really care this kid is sexually attracted to men? I doubt it. Discretion is something that has been lost and we as a culture are cheapened by that fact.

Death on call

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
It's not a matter of being progressive. Personally, I don't care who anyone chooses to sleep with or how any stranger wishes to spend their time. In the same way I have no interest in a Kardashian I don't think the private life of a college kid in MA is newsworthy.

Does anyone really care this kid is sexually attracted to men? I doubt it. Discretion is something that has been lost and we as a culture are cheapened by that fact.

+100

The only caveat being that if his situation can help to improve the lives of other people struggling with their sexuality, I am all for it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 02:29:32 PM »

+100

The only caveat being that if his situation can help to improve the lives of other people struggling with their sexuality, I am all for it.

I recently made the decision to cancel my tv as, other than a very few programs, it is an utter wasteland. Unfortunately, the explosive growth in access has given many undeserving a platform from which to project ignorance, filth, dogmatism, trash, invective, intolerance, and insensitivity.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 02:32:40 PM »
I recently made the decision to cancel my tv as, other than a very few programs, it is an utter wasteland. Unfortunately, the explosive growth in access has given many undeserving a platform from which to project ignorance, filth, dogmatism, trash, invective, intolerance, and insensitivity.

Yup, thats why I avoid any news program. Stick to ESPN, FS1 and the BBC.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »

It's not just the news channels but virtually everything out there now. Even the sports channels are a bit too much and offer little that is of actual consequence.

As a kid I had a SW Band set and would listen to the World Service - a habit I learned from my Scottish gram who gave me that radio for that very purpose. Living in Asia as an adult I always tuned in to the BBC and rarely to CNN International for the far superior quality of copy and coverage.

Thinking of that SW set, I remember as a youth picking up Arabic-language channels from the Middle East. Decades later, hearing the Lebanese pop singers fill the airwaves of Iraq always took me back to my boyhood and that SW set.

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 03:09:15 PM »

I like the BBC also.  Like Keefe, I got addicted to it as it was the only English language TV station in China.  My day didn't start out right unless I was watching the "Asia Business Report." 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »
I like the BBC also.  Like Keefe, I got addicted to it as it was the only English language TV station in China.  My day didn't start out right unless I was watching the "Asia Business Report." 

ABR. Man I had forgotten about that. If I wasn't out running on Bowen Road first thing I was in the gym at Queen's Garden getting in my miles to ABR. Quite an excellent overview with concision on what really mattered. 20 years ago they had stellar graphics and stunning female presenters. Smart, sophisticated, and exuding a smoldering half Chinese half English sensuality....

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 06:40:25 PM »
ABR. Man I had forgotten about that. If I wasn't out running on Bowen Road first thing I was in the gym at Queen's Garden getting in my miles to ABR. Quite an excellent overview with concision on what really mattered. 20 years ago they had stellar graphics and stunning female presenters. Smart, sophisticated, and exuding a smoldering half Chinese half English sensuality....

It's still on the BBC News.  I sometimes catch it channel surfing at same time except with a PM after it rather than an AM.