[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Bond Offering  (Read 5758 times)

Litehouse

• All American
MU Bond Offering
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:41:56 AM »
I saw MU announced a new bond offering, 4% tax-exempt.  Anyone know if there's a specific purpose they're raising the money for?  A new building or anything else?

GGGG

• All American
Re: MU Bond Offering
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »
http://www.marquette.edu/architect/updates.shtml

Looks like they are renovating Marquette, Johnston and Sensennbrenner Halls.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:48:35 AM »
http://www.marquette.edu/architect/updates.shtml

Looks like they are renovating Marquette, Johnston and Sensennbrenner Halls.
Johnston Hall was great,  all those stubby stairways leading to nowhere.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:54:02 AM »
Theyre actually doing a lot more then that. Not just renovating buildings but also moving departments around. It really makes a lot of sense. I cant remember all of the plan but a lot of moving will be going on the next few years.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:05:25 AM »
Theyre actually doing a lot more then that. Not just renovating buildings but also moving departments around. It really makes a lot of sense. I cant remember all of the plan but a lot of moving will be going on the next few years.

esard is spot on.  Essentially all Arts & Sciences departments are moving from Coughlin Hall over to Marquette and Sensenbrenner.  Coughlin is then going to house only student service type operations along the lines of the Tutoring Center, etc.  There's a significant addition on the back side of Sens that in layman's terms provides modern, but necessary features to that very old facility.  Think things like an ADA compliant elevator, etc.  The goal has been to maintain the historic dignity of Sens itself.  In Johnston, major renovations continue floor by floor.  Another beautiful and historic building.

Here's some info on the Sens project.  http://www.marquette.edu/architect/sensenbrennenrhall.shtml

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:14:52 AM »
esard is spot on.  Essentially all Arts & Sciences departments are moving from Coughlin Hall over to Marquette and Sensenbrenner.  Coughlin is then going to house only student service type operations along the lines of the Tutoring Center, etc.  There's a significant addition on the back side of Sens that in layman's terms provides modern, but necessary features to that very old facility.  Think things like an ADA compliant elevator, etc.  The goal has been to maintain the historic dignity of Sens itself.  In Johnston, major renovations continue floor by floor.  Another beautiful and historic building.

Here's some info on the Sens project.  http://www.marquette.edu/architect/sensenbrennenrhall.shtml

Huge improvement from the "Mod" law library.  Now if they could just blow up Olin...
Have some patience, FFS.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:23:25 AM »
Huge improvement from the "Mod" law library.  Now if they could just blow up Olin...

Warriorchick brings back the Weathermen
MU15

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Warriorchick brings back the Weathermen

Impressive reference!
Have some patience, FFS.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 12:52:22 PM »
MU15

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »

I agree. Olin never fit.

Not that everything has to be brick and ivy, but it looks like a fan of Italian marble went wild.
SS Marquette

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »
I've never enjoyed the hodgepodge look of many of our older buildings.

And, as a science major, all the science buildings are way behind in terms of technology, etc.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »
Hopefully renovating Johnston Hall will make it easier to run away from the ghosts.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 08:19:46 PM »
I've never enjoyed the hodgepodge look of many of our older buildings.

And, as a science major, all the science buildings are way behind in terms of technology, etc.

Agree. Wehr Chem, Wehr Physics, and Wehr Life Sciences should be next on the demolition/new construction list. They are terribly outdated, not to mention ugly

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 11:39:14 PM »
Agree. Wehr Chem, Wehr Physics, and Wehr Life Sciences should be next on the demolition/new construction list. They are terribly outdated, not to mention ugly

Those are awful. Especially Wehr physics. I spent a lot of time in those buildings my first two year. Cramer/schroeder is an absolute maze to get around but its really nice on the inside. Cramer basement is my favorite place to study.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 09:39:35 AM »
Those are awful. Especially Wehr physics. I spent a lot of time in those buildings my first two year. Cramer/schroeder is an absolute maze to get around but its really nice on the inside. Cramer basement is my favorite place to study.

Agree. I spent a ton of time in Schroeder Complex. It is old, massive and confusing but they have actually upgraded quite a bit of it over the years. Its still a decent facility. Plus it is architectually similar to the other older buildings like Marquette Hall.

Along with all of the Wehr buildings, Lalumiere should also probably go in the next 10-15 years. The next big construction campaign should focus on that corner of campus. Lots of beautification opportunities there, and also a chance to bring campus into some semblance of architectural unity if new buildings look like the Raynor/Eckstein/Zilber halls.

I also think they should tear down Olin, and just turn that into more green space, and move all of those facilities into the new Engineering building. Does MU really need 3 separate buildings for Engineering when they can expand the newest one?

And at some point, MU is going to have to tear down McCormick, as much as I love that old dumpster. You just aren't going to attract top students with those types of living conditions.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:44:33 AM by Bleuteaux »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »
I'm sure eventually all of what you suggest is going to get done, but that is a ton of money.

The Wehr buildings are structurally fine (at least Chemistry and Physics) and have a bunch of classroom space.  And since the hard sciences aren't necessarily a huge draw for Marquette, plowing a bunch of money into them right now may not make a lot of sense.

Upgrading the labs?  Yes.  But they are buildings with a bunch of volume and might not be cost justifiable to replace.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »
I'm sure eventually all of what you suggest is going to get done, but that is a ton of money.

The Wehr buildings are structurally fine (at least Chemistry and Physics) and have a bunch of classroom space.  And since the hard sciences aren't necessarily a huge draw for Marquette, plowing a bunch of money into them right now may not make a lot of sense.

Upgrading the labs?  Yes.  But they are buildings with a bunch of volume and might not be cost justifiable to replace.

I don't disagree with any of that. But sometimes its fun to play pretend MU President and give yourself a billion dollar construction budget  :)

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 10:02:31 AM »
I don't disagree with any of that. But sometimes its fun to play pretend MU President and give yourself a billion dollar construction budget  :)

Is there a version of Sim University?  If not, there should be.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Is there a version of Sim University?  If not, there should be.

If you dont patent this I will...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »

Sorry Bleu.  Waaay down the list.  I have no specific inside information but most of the chatter these days is about a new Bus. Ad. building.  Even that'll be quite a while. 

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 11:58:46 AM »

Just food for thought, Biomedical Sciences is now the single largest major on Marquette campus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 12:17:14 PM »
Just food for thought, Biomedical Sciences is now the single largest major on Marquette campus.

Really?  Huh...thanks for the info.  Certainly wasn't the case when I was in school.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »

Really?  Huh...thanks for the info.  Certainly wasn't the case when I was in school.

Not uncommon now.  A bulk of students want to be premed (and MU has the nursing school).  Those that are premed major in biomedical sciences and then usually stay there when there hopes are of going to med school are dashed after their first year of grades.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »
Yeah it encompasses pretty much all of the pre health professions (med, dental, PT, PA, pharmacy, etc.) which are quite popular today.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
Yeah it encompasses pretty much all of the pre health professions (med, dental, PT, PA, pharmacy, etc.) which are quite popular today.

Yes to all of those except PT. PTs are either exercise physiology or Athletic Training majors.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 12:42:05 PM »
Yes to all of those except PT. PTs are either exercise physiology or Athletic Training majors.

They have the option to do BISC as well,  knew several students who did the 6 year plan with a BISC major.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 12:47:32 PM »
They have the option to do BISC as well,  knew several students who did the 6 year plan with a BISC major.

That could be but im in PT and people in it hate chemistry enough as is. Dont wanna take any more then we have to. Ive actually seen more people in the PT program be Business or Psychology majors.

feedback