[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: At 2 am, after enough beers, it might be a pretty win  (Read 11697 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: At 2 am, after enough beers, it might be a pretty win
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 10:08:57 PM »
Weird game for Markus. Looked to pass the whole night. Very few outside shots attempted. Lots of TOs, but lots of assists

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 10:13:47 PM »
Weird game for Markus. Looked to pass the whole night. Very few outside shots attempted. Lots of TOs, but lots of assists

He doesn’t look healthy to me yet.  Still seems stiff and moved a little weird at times.  Maybe affecting his shot so decided to be more of a decoy/distributer?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 10:13:51 PM »
Incredibly weak at the 2g spot as well

Yeah... I heard we have the worst player that has ever worn an MU jersey ::) ::) ::)

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 10:14:07 PM »
Winning ugly is becoming the norm for these guys. And while it's great to be able to grid out wins, the only reason this one was close was our inability to take care of the ball. The winning mentality will help out big time come March, but I'd like to see the guys put together some high quality games to build on as we get deeper into conference play.

Sure, that's being a bit nit picky, but with a team this talented, we should have some big time wins at home where we click on all cylinders. I really thought we could do that tonight. I loved the effort tonight, especially from Theo, but playing this sloppy can't become a habit. Clean up a few things here and there, and in a few weeks, this team can be really scary.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 10:17:23 PM »
He doesn’t look healthy to me yet.  Still seems stiff and moved a little weird at times.  Maybe affecting his shot so decided to be more of a decoy/distributer?

The knee to the nuts affected him pretty much the rest of the game. Easy to see the wince on TV

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 10:19:17 PM »
I thought Wojo was dismissive of Leito who was trying to talk to Wojo.  Wonder what that was about

I thought Leito was talking over Wojo -maybe to bark at an official a bit.  Then he didn’t want Wojo to be offended by what could be considered a slight( as I am about to shake your hand I ignore you for a moment to complain that we lost bc of the officials) , and then he came in tight with Wojo to make sure he knew that he respected him and the team. (How is that for interpretation? I give myself an A for creativity)

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 10:19:56 PM »

I thought the same; and he looked beat

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 10:20:21 PM »
Weird handshake between the coaches
Yes—what was that? Was Leiteo yelling at the refs while Wojo offered his hand?
Then Leiteo grabs the back of Wojo’s neck and squeezes it like he’s a kid. Weird is correct. From what I saw Leiteo raced through the players handshakes as well, surprising Theo a little bit.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 10:20:38 PM »
I thought Leito was talking over Wojo -maybe to bark at an official a bit.  Then he didn’t want Wojo to be offended by what could be considered a slight( as I am about to shake your hand I ignore you for a moment to complain that we lost bc of the officials) , and then he came in tight with Wojo to make sure he knew that he respected him and the team. (How is that for interpretation? I give myself an A for creativity)

Your assessment is worth a beef and cheddar.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 10:21:01 PM »
Incredibly weak at the 2g spot as well

We get it. You hate Sacar. Move on.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2019, 10:21:08 PM »
It looked like Leitao was just about to shake Wojo's hand and then saw one of the refs and needed to say something.  Realized he had just dissed Wojo and looked like he apologized.

Agreed!!

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2019, 10:21:18 PM »
The knee to the nuts affected him pretty much the rest of the game. Easy to see the wince on TV

No doubt, but he looked stiff even before that.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 10:21:40 PM »
Your assessment is worth a beef and cheddar.

Caught yours late; hat tip!

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 10:22:30 PM »
And, Tower, one of your better efforts on the topic title; hat tip.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2019, 10:23:35 PM »

Agreed. I thought no 0-2 on threes, and 9 assists. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2019, 10:24:32 PM »
Weird handshake between the coaches

Yeah very awkward seem like Wojo wanted to keep going.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 10:24:58 PM »
For all the hoopla made less than 12 months ago about Wojo never having a three game winning streak in the Beast, it should be noted that he is only one of three active BEast coaches to have a 6 game winning streak; Wright, Wojo, Cooley.  Win Saturday, and it's just Wright and Wojo.

Ugly game offensively for Sacar, but Wojo thought he was playing good enough D to get 33 minutes, since D won this game, those minutes are deserved, especially with only 1 TO.

Huge game for Theo, I don't know how many "should have had, if not for a foul" blocks he had, but it would have been approaching triple double territory, that's insane.

Anyone have a clip of the T's or this Wojo handshake thing?  I didn't get a good look at either.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2019, 10:27:51 PM »
Glad we're worrying about handshake lines and not losses.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 10:28:34 PM »
anyone else drinking beer?

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 10:29:02 PM »
Glad we got the win. After Nova and MU, nobody else in the conference has a winning record right now.

Markus flirting again with that elusive triple double - points, assists and turnovers.

It isn’t just the turnovers though, it seems to be a general lack of nose for the ball. They’re not getting 50/50 balls, they aren’t running down the big rebounds, they aren’t holding the ball tight enough and it gets taken right out of their hands. Wojo should have a practice where he just tosses out balls and have guys fight over them. Maybe bring in the ice cream truck for the winning side.

But like I said, good to get the win.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2019, 10:30:58 PM »
Looks like a lot of opponents are trying to beat up Markus. Fortunately, this team doesn't back down from hard, physical play. And they continue to play tough defense even when things aren't flowing on the offensive end. Not one of my favorite games to watch. But I think Tower's right -- this was another one of those games that we probably would have lost a year ago. I'll take the win.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2019, 10:34:01 PM »

Anyone have a clip of the T's or this Wojo handshake thing?  I didn't get a good look at either.

The 'T' was simply because a Depaul player put the ball into the chest of an official too hard after being called for an offensive foul and the Coach got one for complaining about it.

I didn't see any issue with the handshake. As others said here, just as they were meeting in the handshake line, an official went by and Leitao turned to yell at him just as Wojo was approaching. They then shook hands and Leitao whispered something to Wojo - probably letting him know he was yelling at the official and not Wojo (which Wojo appeared to already realize when it happened.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2019, 10:35:59 PM »

The handshake thing is nothing. As Wojo went for the handshake with Leitao, Leitao saw a ref pass by and he shouted something to the ref. Due to that, Leitao missed Wojo's handshake. Leitao realized that and grabbed Wojo. While awkward looking, there was no ill will.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2019, 10:36:06 PM »
1.  Sacar must have been suffering from the jsonline jinx.    Brutal.
2.   Two straight games where the opponent's offensive rebounding, or the lack of boxing out by Marquette on the defensive rebounding, kept the opponent in the game.     Coincidentally, Ed looked small in both games.   
3.  And, about those turnovers.   Brutaller.   
4.  The only thing missing from this DePaul team is a history/culture of winning.   So close.   They came in and made Marquette play at their pace and really turned it into a grind.   No more sleeping on DePaul. 
5.  Apparently, Leitao read the ESPN article on how to stop Howard.   Tall guards.   In waves.   But Markus was looking to pass.   For better or for worse. 
6.   Another game that a year ago this team loses.  Locked down and frustrated Strus and Cain.   Winning with defense.   Phenomenal defense until the shot went up.   Sometimes the rebounding was good, sometimes it was abysmal. 
7.  In the first half, Jamal played good defense.   In the second, his presence was a signal for DePaul to attack him.   Why no Bailey in the second half? 
8.   FT's no matta.   But it sure is nice to hit a high percentage down the stretch.     
9.   Theo continues to improve.  A nearly complete game tonight.   Although, worst idea of the evening, Theo passing from the wing to Joey in the post.   Yeah, that was never going to end well.  Fumbled that late rebound off the free throw.   And I can see a 'hack-a-Theo' in the not too distant future. 
10.   They didn't show a good replay.   Did Joey get punched in the groin again?   We know Markus took a shot to the groin.   
11.  Another ugly win.    Which is infinitely better than an ugly loss.     Next.

In a win, even ugly there are more positives than negatives...negatives for sure but the positive list is longer.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2019, 10:47:52 PM »
Best part of tonight is that unless the bottom drops out on some of the other big teams east teams, we only have one Quadrant 3 game remaining—Georgetown at home on senior day, which I just don’t see us losing.  Be great to avoid any Q3 losses.