[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] MU vs. UT in SEC/BE Invitational 2008  (Read 5243 times)

GoMarquetteSays

[GoMarquette.com] MU vs. UT in SEC/BE Invitational 2008
« on: January 31, 2008, 09:15:06 AM »
Marquette Selected For SEC/BIG EAST Invitational In 2008

Jan. 31, 2008

Providence - ESPN Regional Television, in conjunction with the BIG EAST Conference and the Southeastern Conference, announced today the eight men's college basketball teams that will represent the two conferences in the second annual SEC/BIG EAST Invitational.

The 2008 SEC/BIG EAST Invitational, an ERT owned and operated event that features four games over two nights, will be played Dec. 16 at Nashville's Sommet Center and Dec. 18 at Cincinnati's U.S. Bank Arena and will be televised by ESPN and ESPN2. The annual event matches four teams from the BIG EAST Conference against four teams from the Southeastern Conference.

Tennessee, presently ranked #8 nationally, #18 Vanderbilt, #22 Ole Miss and #25 Mississippi State will represent the SEC, while #16 Marquette, Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida will represent the BIG EAST.

On Dec. 16 in Nashville, Vanderbilt will face South Florida while Marquette squares off with Tennessee. On Dec. 18 in Cincinnati, Mississippi State will face Cincinnati and Ole Miss will play Louisville.

"The Southeastern Conference is pleased to partner with the BIG EAST and ESPN on this annual event to provide two nights of exciting nonconference matchups in December," SEC Commissioner Mike Slive said. "Fans in Nashville and Cincinnati, along with a national television audience, will have an opportunity to watch four SEC teams currently ranked in the top 25."

The BIG EAST and SEC have combined to produce four of the last five NCAA Men's Basketball Champions (Florida - 2007 and 2006, UConn - 2004, Syracuse - 2003) and seven of the last 12 national champions (UConn - 1999, Kentucky - 1998 and 1996).

"The BIG EAST is excited to participate again with the SEC and ESPN in this annual event," BIG EAST Commissioner Michael Tranghese said. "The two doubleheaders played at great venues in Cincinnati and Nashville will provide fans with some very exciting college basketball in December."

In 2007, the SEC qualified five teams for the NCAA Tournament, with Florida capturing the national championship for the second straight season, and Tennessee and Vanderbilt finishing in the Sweet 16. The BIG EAST placed six teams in the Tournament, with Georgetown advancing to the Final Four. Two seasons ago, the BIG EAST sent a record eight teams to the NCAAs.

"We're pleased with how this event continues to grow," said Clint Overby, Senior Director of Events, ESPN Regional Television. "Both leagues, along with ESPN, have worked to create matchups in locations where we believe we can be successful."

Teams invited to participate in the SEC/BIG EAST Invitational are chosen by ESPN in consultation with the conferences and are based on geographic and competitive criteria.

"It is a privilege to host this great ESPN basketball event at U.S. Bank Arena," said Arena GM Kristin Ropp. "Featuring two great programs from the Big East and the SEC should prove to make for a memorable day of basketball in Cincinnati."

"On behalf of the Nashville Sports Council, we are excited to host the 2008 SEC/BIG EAST Invitational at the Sommet Center," said Scott Ramsey, president and CEO of the Nashville venue. "We are confident that Music City will provide an exciting atmosphere for the players, coaches and fans of Tennessee, Marquette, Vanderbilt and South Florida."

In the 2007 SEC/BIG EAST Invitational, Villanova, then ranked No. 21, converted a four-point play and scored 13 points in the final three minutes, overcoming a 21-point deficit and beating LSU 68-67 in Philadelphia. South Carolina beat Providence by the same margin, 68-67, in the opener in Philadelphia. Meanwhile, in Birmingham, Ala., Georgetown topped Alabama 70-60, and West Virginia beat Auburn 88-59.

Tickets for the 2008 SEC/BIG EAST Invitational are expected to go on sale in late summer.

For more information, visit www.bigeastsecinvitational.com or ESPN-plus.com, home of ESPN Regional Television.       

http://onlyfans.cstv.com/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/013108aaa.html

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:47:05 AM by mu_hilltopper »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Well, with a road test like this on the eve on the Big East season, I think we can all agree it is safe to assume we will go undefeated in conference next year. Final Four here we come!

IAmMarquette

• All American
Tennessee, presently ranked #8 nationally, #18 Vanderbilt, #22 Ole Miss and #25 Mississippi State will represent the SEC, while #16 Marquette, Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida will represent the BIG EAST.

More like the SEC/Former-CUSA-Now-BIG EAST Challenge.

I'm a little surprised none of the "traditional" BEAST teams were chosen.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Hope we get paired with Tennessee.. get a chance to slap some shut-up on em ;)  Pearl started the whole mess between UWM & MU and ran away before we gave him his wish.. now we can follow through and tie up loose ends.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
MU has a chance to pound the Necklace

nyg

• All American
The article states we do play Tennessee.

DegenerateDish

• All American

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
The article states we do play Tennessee.

so it does.. VERY nice... except for it basically being a home game for the Vols.. still, we'll have a chance to have a decent road win to boast about again.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] MU-Tennessee now official
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 10:30:06 AM »
MU-Tennessee now official

The details for next season's Marquette-Tennesee SEC/Big East Invitational game- which was first reported on this blog on Jan. 4 - were announced this morning.

The game will be played on Dec. 16 at the Sonnet Center in Nashville, and will be part of a two-game set that also includes Vanderbilt facing South Florida.

Game time will probably be announced sometime over the summer, but you can bet the MU-Tennessee game will be the second of the two played at this site.

For more information, check the event's web site.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/01/31/mu-tennessee-now-official.aspx
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:50:29 AM by SoCalwarrior »

MUVOL06

• Walk-On
Re: [GoMarquette.com] MU vs. UT in SEC/BE Invitational 2008
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
This will be an interesting match-up. MU gets back Mbakwe and UT loses Chris Lofton and JuJuan Smith.  Got to give props to Pearl for scheduling tough (TN also plays @ Kansas).  Finally Crean plays someone with a pulse outside of conference.  The game is in Nashville though, about 2 hrs from UT's campus.  It is also during their winter break.  For anyone interested on how UT views the game:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 01:47:08 PM »
I'm not sure how one gives props to Pearl for "scheduling" this match up, as the conferences and event organizers dictated the match up. As part of the BE/SEC contract, these two teams were most likely going to play in the event at some point, and the conference put together the best perceived match ups.

MUVOL06

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »
The conference does not force teams into scheduling games.  Pearl and Crean easily could have said no.  I notice you made no comment about how I give props to Crean for scheduling this game too. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 02:01:12 PM by MUVOL06 »

sean980

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 02:00:11 PM »
MUVOL06

I think that Wisconsin usually has a pulse when we play them out of conference annually.  Not that I like the Badgers (in fact I despise them), but they are usually pretty good.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 02:04:38 PM »
There aren't props given out to anyone for scheduling this game! Neither coach called the other and said "hey, you wanna play us?" Get your facts straight. ESPN and the conferences get together and dictate the match ups. Could Crean and Pearl have said no? Sure, but neither is dumb enough to turn down participating this event, which oh by the way is run by ESPN's ERT division.

"Teams invited to participate in the SEC/BIG EAST Invitational are chosen by ESPN in consultation with the conferences and are based on geographic and competitive criteria."

http://www.espnmediazone.com/press_releases/2008_01_jan/20080131_SECBigEastInvitational.htm

MUVOL06

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 02:08:26 PM »
Wisc is one game.  Thats the only team they ever play thats good out-of-conference.  FLA Gulf Coast? Coppin St?  Savannah St? IPFW? Sacramento St? IUPUI?  Utah Valley St?  UWM?  Don't tell me those are good games.  The only reason Crean schedules Wisc is because they are in-state.  Im sure he would love to replace that game every year with with some cupcake.  MUdish yes props are to be given.  Again neither team was forced into this game.  I gave Crean and Pearl props.  My facts are straight, all you said is that teams are chosen by ESPN, they weren't forced to play this game.  MU could have easily said no to ESPN, teams do it all the time.  I never said the coaches got together, but at some point ESPN came to them and said "We think you playing UT would be a good match-up, do you want to go ahead with it."  Both coaches agreed. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 02:12:24 PM »
Do you seriously, in all honesty believe that teams turn down ESPN? Let alone all the time? Sometimes matchups don't work out because of scheduling (see MU/Texas, MU/Zaga), but (and I don't know how much clearer it can be said)...this is an ESPN run event, that HAS A CONTRACT with BOTH CONFERENCES to run an event in which these teams are more or less forced (willingly) to participate. It really is that simple.

Fine, give out props to Bruce and Crean if it makes you happy.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »
Wisc is one game.  Thats the only team they ever play thats good out-of-conference.  FLA Gulf Coast? Coppin St?  Savannah St? IPFW? Sacramento St? IUPUI?  Utah Valley St?  UWM?  Don't tell me those are good games.  The only reason Crean schedules Wisc is because they are in-state.  Im sure he would love to replace that game every year with with some cupcake.  MUdish yes props are to be given.  Again neither team was forced into this game.  I gave Crean and Pearl props.  My facts are straight, all you said is that teams are chosen by ESPN, they weren't forced to play this game.  MU could have easily said no to ESPN, teams do it all the time.  I never said the coaches got together, but at some point ESPN came to them and said "We think you playing UT would be a good match-up, do you want to go ahead with it."  Both coaches agreed. 

were you drunk when you wrote this... I doubt any team turns down when ESPN comes to broadcast their game... even if you lose on ESPN it helps recruiting and the program, let alone a win... gimme a break.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

MUVOL06

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 02:19:51 PM »
MuDish what is your problem?  I gave credit to the coaches. Why does that make you so angry?  AGAIN ESPN ONLY HAS THE RIGHT TO BROADCAST THE GAMES! They do not force teams into match-ups.  The only thing ESPN says is that your(BE vs SEC) games are going to be shown on our channel.  ESPN does not go to either coach and say you play TN, or your playing MU..agree to this or we will shut down your program.   It doesn't happen.  Either coach could have said they had other games scheduled, come back in the future and we will be happy to play it.  They didn't.  Could it be that your angry that MU isn't living up to your expectations this year? 

MUVOL06

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 02:23:02 PM »
Mayor McCheese... No I am not drunk.  Teams turn down possible match-ups all the time.  Teams already have a lot of games scheduled for the coming years.  Either coach could have said that they had too many games,or I cant take my kids there, it will affect their school work.  ESPN likes to see these match-ups but sometimes they don't work out.  Both coaches had to agree to it. They easily could have had an excuse.  Its about time Crean scheduled a good team.

MUVOL06

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 02:26:38 PM »
BTW...ESPN does not schedule the games...It is up to the two conferences to set the games.  Obviously they saw the Pearl Milwaukee connection and how he tried to schedule MU when he was there.  Again though, both coaches HAD to agree to it.  They were presented with the idea and both accepted it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 02:28:17 PM »
Did you bother to read the press release???

Here's a quote from ESPN (again, the organizer of the event)...

“We’re pleased with how this event continues to grow,” said Clint Overby, Senior Director of Events, ESPN Regional Television. “Both leagues, along with ESPN, have worked to create matchups in locations where we believe we can be successful.”

You know why these coaches agreed to play in this event? It $tart$ with $ and end$ with thi$ $.

ESPN, along with the conferences, choose the best match ups because it will bring in the most money. Crean and Pearl would be absolutely insane to say no. Better matchups=better ratings=better program exposure=continuing this Big East/SEC Invitational=more money in everyone involved's pockets

The only thing I'm angry with is ignorance.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 02:32:48 PM »
Enjoy this game, it's our Duke & Okla State all rolled into one.

Tennessee, UW will be our premiere our premier out of conf games, UWM will generate some interest locally.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUVOL06

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 02:34:47 PM »
Then you must be angry with yourself.  AGAIN no coached was  F O R C E D.  Again Forced. Forced. Forced. Forced. to play this match-up.  See the key word there?  Forced.  Look it up.  See what it means.  OK. Find the definition.  Look at it again.  OK. Good.    The coaches had to agree to it.  No team is forced to play games.  Ok.  Go look back at the definition again.  Do you finally know what it means?  They weren't forced.  ESPN and the conferences Proposed the idea to the schools... again another word you can look up.  Proposed. MU might need the money but UT certainly does not.  Nor does the SEC.  They make more than enough from football to carry the conference.  TN plays big time games on ESPN all the time.  MU plays cupcakes on local tv.  MU may need the money, but UT does not.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 02:42:42 PM »
Ok, so you're giving props to Pearl for accepting a call from Silve, that goes something like this.

Silve: "Bruce, our contract with ESPN FORCES us to have you play a Big East team in the next two years. You ok with Marquette in Nashville?"

Pearl (while shopping for terrible suits to wear while coaching): "Yeah."

Props for all! Way to go Bruce! You're a hero!

Do you understand the money theory at all? I mean seriously, do you get it? What are you even trying to argue there, seriously? The reason they have these tournaments/invitationals is because they make money. They make the most money for ESPN and THE CONFERENCES involved. The money trickles down EQUALLY to all member schools of the conference in the form of tv contracts with ESPN.

If your name is MUVOL, and you're clearly a U of T supporter, where does the MU come into play? Why are you here otherwise? I know it's not worth my time asking these questions, as others on this site have had these silly arguments with you before, so I'll stop wasting my time now.

MUVOL06

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 02:50:54 PM »
Im sure the conversation went something like that as well.  Although Pearl was winning basketball games while shopping.  While MU looks like they cant win against a decent team.  Do you know how the money works?  The athletic departments get the money each team at a school generates.  That means all of MU and UTs money generated in ALL SPORTS goes back to their respective athletic departments.  IN cases like football, with the BCS, the conference as a whole benefits from any team making the BCS bowls. Teams like Ole Miss and Vandy collected money for LSU and UGA making BCS bowls. For instance take the last two years in JUST FOOTBALL.  Last yr FLA and LSU won BCS games.  This yr UGA and LSU won BCS games.  Combine that with their CBS contract to broadcast SEC games.  All in ALL every school in the SEC over the past 2 years has made 20 million dollars plus, just off of football.  TN and the SEC do not need the small amount of money from that one game.  If they didn't play that game TN would not struggle for money. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »
Dish, it's not worth it. He is clueless and ignorant. From previous posts he has proved that clearly.

He won't stop talking until every here is mopping up Bruce Pearl's body after he paints a letter on his chest.

MUVOL06

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 02:55:40 PM »
BTW my point is that you said the match-up was all about the money.  It clearly is not.  As a side note, I can't believe how emotionally unstable some of you are.  I gave props to BOTH coaches for agreeing to the game and somehow I'm ridiculed.  seriously, If this is how some of you react to me saying something nice about MU, I wonder how you react when MU loses, which to me seems to happen quite frequently. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 03:10:21 PM »
I gave props to BOTH coaches for agreeing to the game and somehow I'm ridiculed.  seriously, If this is how some of you react to me saying something nice about MU, I wonder how you react when MU loses, which to me seems to happen quite frequently. 

I've got no dog in this fight (and I agree that sometimes people on here are a bit reactionary), but it's pretty apparent that you're here to get a rise out of people -- your last post merely confirmed it.

But, your initial post, while more subtle, also showed your agenda.  If you'll go back to your first post, you'll see that you didn't "give props to BOTH coaches for agreeing to the game."  What you said was:

"Got to give props to Pearl for scheduling tough (TN also plays @ Kansas).  Finally Crean plays someone with a pulse outside of conference."

See what you did there?  You gave "props" to Pearl, and then you took a backhanded swipe at Crean.  Your repeated claims that you "gave props" to both coaches doesn't make it so.  You gave props to Pearl and took a shot at Crean.  If you had simply given props to both coaches (which, in case you're confused would sound something like, "got to give props to Pearl and Crean for scheduling tough"), I suspect you wouldn't have caused such a reaction. 

But, as we all know by now, that's not what you were going for.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 03:59:03 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 03:11:54 PM »
Yep, Marquette loses all the time.

Over the last 10 years UT has more losses. I'm sure all UT fans get so upset about losses, they turn to ignorance and troll other boards.

reesiecup210

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 03:47:35 PM »
Is anyone else sick of this guy? If you like UT and Bruce Pearl that's fine, but this is a Marquette message board. We don't want to hear about it. All you're going to do is piss people off. If you want to find someone who agrees with you, go to a UT site.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »
what bothers me is his arrogance. "TN plays big-time games on ESPN all the time." This is enough to have him committed right here. In New York, the media capital of the world, Marquette is on either ESPN or the local all-sports station victually every week. Half the country either knows and remembers MU for its basketball. TN is known for its women's basketball and loud uniforms. Had Tom Crean been available when the TN job came open, they would have hired him over Bruce Pearl IN A HEARTBEAT. And I stand by a statement I made in another thread: Our win at Wisconsin is bigger and more impressive than ANY win Tennessee will have all year.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 04:31:10 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that he is actually a jealous UWM fan, turned Tennessee fan after the sweaty one took that job, who comes here posing as a Marquette fan in some lame attempt to gain some level of credibility. Either way, I was sick of him shortly after his arrival. Not sure why he thinks anyone here cares about Tennessee, or that anyone here besides him cares to compare MU to UT.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 05:58:57 PM »
Im sure the conversation went something like that as well.  Although Pearl was winning basketball games while shopping.  While MU looks like they cant win against a decent team.  Do you know how the money works?  The athletic departments get the money each team at a school generates.  That means all of MU and UTs money generated in ALL SPORTS goes back to their respective athletic departments.  IN cases like football, with the BCS, the conference as a whole benefits from any team making the BCS bowls. Teams like Ole Miss and Vandy collected money for LSU and UGA making BCS bowls. For instance take the last two years in JUST FOOTBALL.  Last yr FLA and LSU won BCS games.  This yr UGA and LSU won BCS games.  Combine that with their CBS contract to broadcast SEC games.  All in ALL every school in the SEC over the past 2 years has made 20 million dollars plus, just off of football.  TN and the SEC do not need the small amount of money from that one game.  If they didn't play that game TN would not struggle for money. 

Safe to say this would have been a very strange conversation to have.

Who knows maybe it did happen as MUVOL says...

SEC Commish: Hey Bruce, ESPN just pitched their match ups for next year.  They want you to play a Top 25 matchup at a neutral home-court and broadcast it nationally.  I don't need to remind you this opportunity represents a large revenue opportunity for the conference.

Bruce Pearl (While Painting on an Orange Blazer before a night on the town):  Gee sir that's great and all but as you know...

While MU looks like they cant win against a decent team.  Do you know how the money works?  The athletic departments get the money each team at a school generates.  That means all of MU and UTs money generated in ALL SPORTS goes back to their respective athletic departments.  IN cases like football, with the BCS, the conference as a whole benefits from any team making the BCS bowls. Teams like Ole Miss and Vandy collected money for LSU and UGA making BCS bowls. For instance take the last two years in JUST FOOTBALL.  Last yr FLA and LSU won BCS games.  This yr UGA and LSU won BCS games.  Combine that with their CBS contract to broadcast SEC games.  All in ALL every school in the SEC over the past 2 years has made 20 million dollars plus, just off of football.  TN and the SEC do not need the small amount of money from that one game.  If they didn't play that game TN would not struggle for money.  .

.. But I hear Pat Summit needs the gym that night so her team can raise another SEC championship banner.  So why not. 

SEC Commish:  Bruce, Thanks for the economics lesson.  That Boston College education has sure come in handy.  Thanks again for making the sacrifice for the good of the league; and don't worry you're check is in the mail.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 06:01:50 PM by TheManInGold »
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

feedback