[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Al McGuire Center  (Read 6397 times)

SD Warrior

• Walk-On
Al McGuire Center
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »
Does anyone know why they didn't make the Al big enough to host men's games? Limited funds, space, etc? I was a student when they were building it but I don't remember the reasoning. I know they can generate more revenue at a larger arena like the BC but they also pay a lot for the lease. I think it would have been cool to have a 8,000-9,000 seat arena and play a few home games there each year. Thanks for the info.

krocheck

• Starter
Re: Al McGuire Center
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 11:49:52 AM »
I really like MU's venue setup.  Being able to have beverages at every men's game is only a bonus.  So, I disagree.

There may not have been enough land to build what you suggest and still have enough room for all the support facilities and offices.  Cobeen would be in the way.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.03952,-87.926255&spn=0.002466,0.005681&t=h&z=18

They just barely got it in as-is.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:52:45 AM by krocheck »

LA

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »
I agree with Crean that having beverages at the game is quite the advantage over on campus facilities.

Plus I simply don't think there is space in that location for  a big arena. The lounge, practice, and study facilities in the Al are great for all student athletes and I think a great recruiting tool. While having a smaller really loud arena would be fun for fans I also think players enjoy playing in an NBA arena especially when the BC is sold out.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 12:09:50 PM »
A stadium that small simply wouldn't cut it for MU even on a limited basis.  We have more season ticket holders than that, which means you'd either have to lose a bunch of them or set up some bizarre system where some people are only season ticket holders for games at  the BC, and no one is going to go for that. 

Plus, where the heck would you put it on campus, and where would those people park?  The space simply doesn't exist around MU.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 12:14:01 PM »
FOR THE LAST TIME, YOU CAN HAVE AN ON CAMPUS ARENA AND SERVE BOOZE. SEE CARRIER DOME!

The NCAA has no rule prohibiting alcoholic beverages at events outside of championship ones. They leave that decision up to individual conferences and institutions.

And Milwaukee could not sustain another large arena, especially one within blocks of 2 other arenas. That would have been a bad business decision for MU. Men's basketball could not sustain the upkeep.
But I like to throw handfuls...

SD Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »
I don't think it would have to be that bizzare of a system seeing as UConn and Villanova already have it figured out. How could MU not sustain the upkeep when the vast majority of universities can? It doesn't matter anyways since it's already built but those first few non-conference games each year with horrible attendance would be better served in a smaller facility.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 01:11:22 PM »
BMA took my thought.  Where the f___ would you put the parking?  They could have demolished a few more buildings to put up several decks and then where do you put the students?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 01:21:17 PM »
I don't think it would have to be that bizzare of a system seeing as UConn and Villanova already have it figured out. How could MU not sustain the upkeep when the vast majority of universities can? It doesn't matter anyways since it's already built but those first few non-conference games each year with horrible attendance would be better served in a smaller facility.
I thought I remembered us playing either Whitewater or Stevens Point in an exhibition game at the Al.  That said, you still have to figure out what to do about season ticket holders.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=16535.0

Long discussion on the same subject. Though, I was thinking about a 14-16K seat arena. I think it would have definitely been possible, but a lot of extra work and money. Not sure if it would have been worth it.

I don't buy the parking issue. If you are spending that much on the stadium, I'm sure there would have been enough to land to purchase on the west side at a decent price, not including the numerous parking structures on campus. It would be a mad house but that would add to the atmosphere. 

TT13

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 01:33:08 PM »
Marquette played Lewis and former Assistant Coach Kyle Green at the AL back in 2004.

http://www.lewisflyers.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/110404aaa.html

I heard a rumor that Marquette was thinking about shutting down 12th street betweens Wells and Wisconsin and demolishing the 1212 Building (which is now gone, new administration building stands on that ground now) and Abbottsford Hall and building a 14,000? seat arena on that area. However, there were worries about raising the $31 million for the AL so raising even more was out of the question. But, once MU made the Final Four in 2003, the rest of the money for the AL came very quickly.

I agree that parking would be a major issue if an on-campus arena was built. However, the newest parking structure on campus wasn't built until after the AL was finished so that structure could have been built taller. But, it's all a pipe dream. I'm happy with the situation that Marquette is in right now.

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 01:44:27 PM »
FOR THE LAST TIME, YOU CAN HAVE AN ON CAMPUS ARENA AND SERVE BOOZE. SEE CARRIER DOME!

The NCAA has no rule prohibiting alcoholic beverages at events outside of championship ones. They leave that decision up to individual conferences and institutions.

And Milwaukee could not sustain another large arena, especially one within blocks of 2 other arenas. That would have been a bad business decision for MU. Men's basketball could not sustain the upkeep.

I think this is right, but they have done this:

"Now, therefore, be it Resolved that NCAA members shall be encouraged to:

"Prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages during all preseason, regular season, conference and postseason intercollegiate events. [Alcoholic beverages should not be sold or otherwise made available for public consumption in the athletics facility during intercollegiate athletics events.]
  "Promote only the legal and responsible use of alcohol by fans outside the stadium or arena (e.g., tailgating). [To the extent that an institution can preclude the sale of alcohol outside the stadium or arena, those efforts should be made. When such restrictions are not feasible, an institution should visibly promote the legal and responsible use of alcohol for all fans associated with the event.]
  "Prohibit on-site alcohol advertising during all preseason, regular season, conference and postseason intercollegiate events. [Except when expressly prohibited by prior contract, institutions should preclude advertising, banners, and signs of displays for liquor, beer(including nonalcoholic beer) or wine products. Any permanently affixed or leased advertising, banners, signs or displays in the facility, should be covered during the event.]
  "Prohibit media advertising of alcoholic beverages that exceed six percent alcohol by volume. [Immediately prior to, during and subsequent to televised competition, institutions should preclude media advertising of alcoholic beverages that exceed six percent alcohol by volume.]
  "Limit advertising of malt beverages, beer and wine products that do not exceed six percent alcohol by volume and include content that emphasizes legal use of alcohol . These advertisements could include tag lines such as "Drink Responsibly" and "Be Legal." [ Such advertisements should not compose more than 14 percent of the space in any game publications; not more than 60 seconds per hour of any telecast or broadcast or not more than one hundred twenty (120) seconds total in any telecast or broadcast. Any such content should include an appropriate focus on legal and responsible use of alcohol.]
  "Provide programs and resources for education, prevention and treatment of alcohol abuse."

Bob Williams
Managing Director of Public and Media Relations
The National Collegiate Athletic Association
www.ncaa.org
317/ 917-6117

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 01:59:23 PM »

UConn and Villanova have the space.  Uconn's campus is in the middle of nowhere.  Villanova has just enough parking to make it work, and they play in an arena barely bigger than the Al so ticket prices are sky high and they have to have a lottery for student tickets...not exactly ideal.  Pretty hard to justify building an on campus arena and additional parking for 18 days a year.  We also can't get away with using the football parking lot like some schools can.  

And last I checked, Uconn students can't walk to the games in Hartford and Nova students definitely can't walk to the Wachovia Center.  Nice to be able to play at the larger arena and never worry about getting tickets.  If MU students can't walk to games at the BC they're lazy.  It's not ideal when the wind chill is -20, or when you're climbing over snowbanks, but it's not like 12 blocks is going to kill you.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:00:59 PM by chapman »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 02:19:56 PM »

Those first few games are money makers for the university in the bigger arena.  They're getting several thousand more ticket buys per game than they would get in an arena the size you want.  That's pretty vital money for a program like ours.

Not only that, but the cost to build an arena that size, when you factor in finding the land and tearing down whatever is there as well as finding the land for parking structures is just way too high.

BTW, what's this vast majority of universities thing.  In our conference, only 5 places (UConn, ND, Villanova, Rutgers and St. John's) have arena's that small that are in regular use....and none of them were built within the last 20 years.

SD Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 05:06:47 PM »
I was saying that the vast majority of division 1 basketball programs have their own arena/fieldhouse and seemingly can afford the upkeep. Why would MU be any different?

I'm not trying to argue I just didn't understand the line of thought that we wouldn't be able to afford the upkeep of an arena. The university is already paying for the upkeep of the Al. Regardless, it's in the past and doesn't matter now anyway. I was just curious.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »
I was saying that the vast majority of division 1 basketball programs have their own arena/fieldhouse and seemingly can afford the upkeep. Why would MU be any different?

I'm not trying to argue I just didn't understand the line of thought that we wouldn't be able to afford the upkeep of an arena. The university is already paying for the upkeep of the Al. Regardless, it's in the past and doesn't matter now anyway. I was just curious.

The cost isn't in the upkeep... it's in the construction of the facility.  An on-campus arena would easily clear $200M, probably much more.  Where's that money going to come from?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 05:33:36 PM »
The Bradley Center is not that far of a walk from campus.  Some kids at state schools have longer walks to class/games than any of the dorms or houses on Kilbourn have to get to the BC.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »
I agree that parking would be a major issue if an on-campus arena was built. However, the newest parking structure on campus wasn't built until after the AL was finished so that structure could have been built taller.

That would be awful for an on-campus arena. That parking garage is already a nightmare (tight turns, traffic going in opposite directions, only two max (and usually only one) point of entrance/exit). It's already about as tall as Schroeder. Building it any higher and it would quickly become the tallest building on campus.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

SD Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »
We already have an on campus arena: The Al McGuire Center. The original post asks why they didn't construct a larger facility. If the original construction cost was $31M, doubling the capacity would not cost another $170M.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
In the late 70's, the walk to the Mecca was great fun.  On the way there, stop at the liquor store on Wells (I think by Hegarty's) and pick up an eight pack of 8 oz. Millers.  Hide in various places in the biggest parka you could find (I used to put 2 in my hood - had to be careful about clanking) to sneak in the arena.  After the game, snowball fights and impromptu rugby games (OK, it was just tackle your buddies in the snow when they weren't looking) on the way back.

Sorry a little off topic but this is a great memory from my days at MU.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »
We already have an on campus arena: The Al McGuire Center. The original post asks why they didn't construct a larger facility. If the original construction cost was $31M, doubling the capacity would not cost another $170M.
Though it could easily add $10-$20+ million to the price tag.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 07:38:04 PM »
If we lose the bucks franchise someday, what will happen to the bradley center?  Will we lose the lease and get the place torn down or what, or will nothing at all happen ?  I feel like the bucks will be done in 10 years max so we shall see what happens to the BC. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 08:00:02 PM »
If we lose the bucks franchise someday, what will happen to the bradley center?  Will we lose the lease and get the place torn down or what, or will nothing at all happen ?  I feel like the bucks will be done in 10 years max so we shall see what happens to the BC. 

The Bucks aren't the owners of the BC just like they weren't the owners of the Mecca.  So without them it will likely still be there as the arena for the Admirals and MU.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 11:03:32 PM »
my housemates and I always thought it would have been cool to have one game a year in the Al.  naturally we thought that most of the seats should go to student ticket holders as a sort of special perk  ;D

But seriously it might be really cool, and I don't think too many season ticket holders would complain.  MU might even have to make it an exhibition game if they don't want to lose out on a ton of profit, but it would be a really neat campus event.  Give it some sort of corny name, or better yet name it after Al himself. It wouldn't have to be marquee matchup or anything, more of a fun treat.  the place would be incredibly loud and on- campus bars would be even more packed after than normal.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 07:45:12 AM »

You'd have to triple the capacity to get to the size that CMT was talking about originally.

And the backed up line for parking in the Wells Street structure is already horrific for womens games which don't sell out.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 07:51:04 AM »
my housemates and I always thought it would have been cool to have one game a year in the Al.  naturally we thought that most of the seats should go to student ticket holders as a sort of special perk  ;D

But seriously it might be really cool, and I don't think too many season ticket holders would complain. 

Except there are roughly 2500 season ticket holders, and since I'm sure most of them have more than 1 ticket, you're going to hose A LOT of people out of the ability to go.

Also, let's not forget that the continued success of the athletic department is dependent on bringing in 12K+ people a game for mens' basketball for the revenue stream.

And last but not least, I don't think the athletics department is going to want to run a "Fanatics only game" in the Al when the student section seems set on delivering piss poor attendance like they did at the DePaul game.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle