'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Hunt Blog Post on Ellenson  (Read 17601 times)

muhoops1

• All American
Re: New Hunt Blog Post on Ellenson
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »
It's not just his HS competition it's AAU & USA Basketball as well...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 03:20:23 PM »

He knows that, just like he knows he's not really a "big" but he keeps calling him that.  It just doesn't fit his agenda.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 03:23:30 PM »

I'm hoping he comes to MU, I will have tempered expectations, though, just as I do for Luke and any other guy that is new to the program.   I would think most here would have seen with Duane, Mayo, Vander, etc, etc.  Just because you are highly ranked doesn't translate to ease of performance that first year.  Some can do it, but it is tough.  Usually you see moments of "WOW" along with moments of "he's a freshman", the typical ups and downs of making the adjustment.  Hopefully he comes to MU and maybe he can instantly be one of those exceptions to the rule and consistently be a top player.  When I hear things like a comparison to John Leuer in his SENIOR year, well that's saying a lot.  Hope it is true, but my expectations will be tempered....we should be fair to the kid.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 03:51:30 PM »
But Duane didn't play and Mayo wasn't highly ranked.......

I do agree that it is best to temper expectations because until they start playing you just don't know how long it will take them to adapt.

Top 10 kids are usually productive quickly but not always....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 04:32:54 PM »
He knows that, just like he knows he's not really a "big" but he keeps calling him that.  It just doesn't fit his agenda.

He's not a big?

What agenda would that be, that I want him to come to MU and hope are fans don't have too inflated of expectations which could lead to tearing the kid down (done here all the time).  What a terrible agenda to think of the kid....terrible

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
He's not a big?

What agenda would that be, that I want him to come to MU and hope are fans don't have too inflated of expectations which could lead to tearing the kid down (done here all the time).  What a terrible agenda to think of the kid....terrible

There's a difference between being "big" and being "a big."  Once again, you know this.  You like to tell us all about the number of great schools you went to and the number of intelligent people you work with and know.  If you are as smart as you like to sound, don't play so stupid.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2014, 05:32:32 PM »
I'm going in with mild expectations, especially against his HS competition.  He's highly ranked for a reason, but too many bigs IMO struggle their first year.  If he signs with MU, I hope he lives up to the billing, but also hope that fans will be patient if he's a little slow out of the gate.  The one and done stuff, regardless if it is true, should be put on the back burner.  Not fair to the young man and will just lead to fans being disappointed with wild expectations.
You keep going back to calling Ellenson a "big" which doesn't accurately reflect his game. It would be similar to calling Novak a big just because he is 6' 10". I can't tell if you're doing this to agitate the masses, or have never seen him play. The guy is rated in the top 5-10 because of his AAU and U17 play against top competition, not high school.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2014, 05:35:54 PM »
Calling him a one & done is managing fan expectations.  You should never plan on having a top 5 talent for multiple years.  Beyond that, I'll take the under on Deonte staying for 4 seasons. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brandx

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »
Calling him a one & done is managing fan expectations.  You should never plan on having a top 5 talent for multiple years.  Beyond that, I'll take the under on Deonte staying for 4 seasons. 

I think I'd take that bet. We'll see.

Read an interview recently with six NBA scouts and their opinion was that Ben Simmons is the only one-and-done in the class, which they also consider to be quite a bit below last year's.

But, again we'll see. Guys develop at different speeds.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »
Ellenson isn't a big.  6'11" is big no matter if he can play all positions.  Was hoping he would commit before leaving campus this weekend.  He wi be an incredible Warrior!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2014, 06:55:54 PM »
But Duane didn't play and Mayo wasn't highly ranked.......

I do agree that it is best to temper expectations because until they start playing you just don't know how long it will take them to adapt.

Top 10 kids are usually productive quickly but not always....

Exactly, Duane didn't play despite being highly ranked (yes, he was injured but Burt also said he wasn't playing well, couldn't get the defense down).  Novak was a bit sporadic...highs and lows freshman year.  Burton, the same.  DJ, the same.  Vander....definitely sporadic.  So on and so forth.  It's an adjustment to the college level.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2014, 07:02:35 PM »
There's a difference between being "big" and being "a big."  Once again, you know this.  You like to tell us all about the number of great schools you went to and the number of intelligent people you work with and know.  If you are as smart as you like to sound, don't play so stupid.

Of course I know it....Steve Novak was big, but not a big.   Plenty of big guys on Wisconsin over the years that play on the perimeter.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I suspect Ellenson, if he comes to MU, will be playing in the low post as a 4 or a 5 and not ranging around the perimeter like Novak did.  To me, that's playing as a big.  If I'm wrong, by all means tell me.  I know he has very good ball handling skills (I believe he was a PG until high school) and he has a nice stroke from 3 in high school, comparisons to Nowitzki and such.  I hope that is true.  However, I thought I had read that his like position in college is the power 4 he won't be "merchandised" as a 3 point shooter like Novak was.  I have no doubt that he will pick and pop, hit some deep balls, keep the defense honest as a result.  Feel free to correct me, but you are correct I'm not calling him a big just because of his size....I'm calling him a big because it was my understanding that is where he will play in college, in the post at the 4 (albeit with the ability to roam and create to a degree).   

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2014, 07:12:02 PM »
I think Ellenson will not go to MU, if he feels he will playing strictly the traditional power positions. I envision Wojo selling him on being a player like Singular(sp) who played for Duke.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2014, 07:21:26 PM »
I think Ellenson will not go to MU, if he feels he will playing strictly the traditional power positions. I envision Wojo selling him on being a player like Singular(sp) who played for Duke.

I have no doubt Wojo will sell him on his versatility and what he can do at MU.  Makes total sense.  I'll have to find the posts, but thought a number of people here said in college he would play the power 4.  Again, could be totally wrong and if I am, will happily admit it.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »
Of course I know it....Steve Novak was big, but not a big.   Plenty of big guys on Wisconsin over the years that play on the perimeter.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I suspect Ellenson, if he comes to MU, will be playing in the low post as a 4 or a 5 and not ranging around the perimeter like Novak did.  To me, that's playing as a big.  If I'm wrong, by all means tell me.  I know he has very good ball handling skills (I believe he was a PG until high school) and he has a nice stroke from 3 in high school, comparisons to Nowitzki and such.  I hope that is true.  However, I thought I had read that his like position in college is the power 4 he won't be "merchandised" as a 3 point shooter like Novak was.  I have no doubt that he will pick and pop, hit some deep balls, keep the defense honest as a result.  Feel free to correct me, but you are correct I'm not calling him a big just because of his size....I'm calling him a big because it was my understanding that is where he will play in college, in the post at the 4 (albeit with the ability to roam and create to a degree).   

It is clear, you have never seen him play.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2014, 07:32:56 PM »
Tough to be a reporter the last 5 or 6 years when the coach was cutting you off at the balls and knees, that being said he still wasn't very good.  Maybe he's getting his second wind now that Burt is gone and their is a human being that isn't a psychotic mental case at the head of MU hoops that he can actually have conversations with now and again.

Very fair and balanced assessment. No innuendo, no playing doctor, no made up stuff, just plain, hard, verifiable facts. Like always. How phony. How hypocritical. How typical.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 07:41:50 PM »
 Stretch 4s are now wanted by everyone. Position is defined by who you can guard and Steve could never guard the 3......to tell the truth he couldn't guard 4s very well either but they couldn't guard him on the perimeter so it all worked out.

Ellenson will not just be a low post guy at MU(or wherever he goes). He will guard mostly 4s but will play all over the place on offense.

I doubt he plays much center with Fischer, Heldt and Taylor here but he could play there some if needed.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2014, 07:43:03 PM »
I agree with you willie.  To say that Henry "might be the best basketball player to ever come out of Wisconsin" is a bit of a stretch and might set expectations too high. 

Joe Wolf, Wes Matthews, Jim Chones, and the ones you mentioned.  This state does not lack for high quality basketball talent.

pardon me if i missed this one somewhere in the replies-mickey crowe?  he was a unique character, but one helluva a shooter before glass backboards and 3-point lines.  a one man show, aka pistol pete.  if he would have had a little guidance, who knows how good he could've become.  oh, our anthony pieper broke crowes state scoring record, but had the 3-point shot to help

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/men/basketball-former-prep-standout-mickey-crowe-to-have-book-signing/article_895853c3-d9c3-5f29-ac42-5be5bc792eeb.html
don't...don't don't don't don't

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »
I've always thought of Ellenson as a Crowder type of player. He's much taller than Crowder. I pictured him as a guy that could mix it up down low, but also had some strong perimeter skills. I don't think he's going to be a down low guy exclusively. He sounds like the guy that if there's a small guy on him, he'll go down low, but if there's a big guy, he'd bring him to the perimeter.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »
It is clear, you have never seen him play.

In person, I have not.  Seen some video highlights.  Thought I captured it well to say he has very good ball handling skills, nice touch from the outside in high school.  That's based on what video I have seen.  Am I wrong?

The part about him playing the power 4 I read here on Scoop as his likely position in college...perhaps they were wrong and by default, I am as well for believing them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2014, 07:52:30 PM »
Stretch 4s are now wanted by everyone. Position is defined by who you can guard and Steve could never guard the 3......to tell the truth he couldn't guard 4s very well either but they couldn't guard him on the perimeter so it all worked out.

Ellenson will not just be a low post guy at MU(or wherever he goes). He will guard mostly 4s but will play all over the place on offense.

I doubt he plays much center with Fischer, Heldt and Taylor here but he could play there some if needed.

Thank you, good write up.  Appreciated.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »
Ellenson isn't a big.  6'11" is big no matter if he can play all positions.  Was hoping he would commit before leaving campus this weekend.  He wi be an incredible Warrior!

With all the Smart posters on this Board, can someone coin a word or phrase that distinguish a “Big” (Players Height) from “Big + (Players Height plus other gifts)
Thanks

" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2014, 08:11:46 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/W8OwSQ-sNCI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/W8OwSQ-sNCI</a>

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2014, 08:35:36 PM »
I've always thought of Ellenson as a Crowder type of player. He's much taller than Crowder. I pictured him as a guy that could mix it up down low, but also had some strong perimeter skills. I don't think he's going to be a down low guy exclusively. He sounds like the guy that if there's a small guy on him, he'll go down low, but if there's a big guy, he'd bring him to the perimeter.

Crowder very rarely ran the break, caught the ball on the perimeter and broke his man down with the dribble, etc.  If I had to compare his game to the type of player player we have seen at Marquette I would say he's what we all hoped Jamil Wilson would be.  Long, athletic, can take his man off the dribble, shoot from the outside, or use his height to his advantage in the post.  In my opinion, he's not a "stretch 4" because when I think "stretch 4" I think a guy who can either shoot the 3 or post up, but isn't much of a slasher or someone who can break his defender down off the dribble.  Ellenson has the ability to slash and break his man down off the dribble.  He's a 6'10" wing/slasher/shooter.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2014, 08:44:50 PM »
I think you'd be handcuffing someone with the skillset that Ellenson has by just saying, "Hey, you're 6'11" so you're a post."  Or even making him into a stretch 4.  He's the kind of player you get the ball to anywhere on the court and can say, "Go make something good happen."  Whether that is creating off the dribble, finding a shot for himself, or finding a shot for a teammate, he can make something good happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iE7ukktN9E

feedback