[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Morris less  (Read 14777 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Morris less
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2019, 02:12:11 PM »
Texas Tech down at halftime to Long Island. Creighton down to North Florida. No plans yet for either school to cancel their seasons.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2019, 02:37:14 PM »
Texas Tech down at halftime to Long Island. Creighton down to North Florida. No plans yet for either school to cancel their seasons.

If,like Texas Tech, Wojo had gone 8-2 in the last two post seasons, I think we'd all be a bit more patient.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2019, 02:46:02 PM »
If,like Texas Tech, Wojo had gone 8-2 in the last two post seasons, I think we'd all be a bit more patient.

Patently false. After back-to-back Sweet 16s, Marquette fans were ready to throw the 2012-13 team in the trash after losing at Green Bay. A track record of success has never led to this site being patient in the past.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2019, 02:48:41 PM »
Patently false. After back-to-back Sweet 16s, Marquette fans were ready to throw the 2012-13 team in the trash after losing at Green Bay. A track record of success has never led to this site being patient in the past.

Was that the year where Buzz hadn’t installed the offense yet?  Maybe Wojo just hasn’t got around to that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2019, 04:28:45 PM »

"patently". i like it.
But Link please. A post by one or two fans does equate to  "Marquette fans were ready to throw the 2012-13 team in the trash" 
Considering Wojo's track record, fans have been remarkably patient.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2019, 04:30:50 PM »
. A track record of success has never led to this site being patient in the past.

Its been so long since we had any success, I don't remember how this site reacted.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2019, 04:32:09 PM »

Its been so long since we had any success, I don't remember how this site reacted.

Really?  ::)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2019, 04:42:12 PM »
"patently". i like it.
But Link please. A post by one or two fans does equate to  "Marquette fans were ready to throw the 2012-13 team in the trash" 
Considering Wojo's track record, fans have been remarkably patient.

As I said, patently false.

Link: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=37122.msg469619#msg469619

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2019, 04:43:06 PM »
Really?  ::)

I suspect we define "success" differently. A year without a post season win
(or at least one competitive effort) is not a success for this program.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2019, 04:53:02 PM »

Well i guess you showed me-kudos. But none of those posts criticized Buzz.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2019, 10:35:05 PM »

This is great stuff.

I'm not proud of my over-reaction, that's for sure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2019, 11:42:20 AM »
Was out of town and didn't have a chance to see this one. While I can't comment on the game itself, this subject line is outstanding. Well done, Tower!

What I can comment on are the turnovers, which have been atrocious so far this season. It's not limited to just a few players, either:

Markus (19.9 TO% per KenPom, highest since his freshman year)
Koby (23.8%, career high)
Sacar (26.7%, career high)
Greg (28.7%, career high)
Jamal (20.4%, a career low but still way too high)
Brendan (23.9%, 4x higher than last season)
Ed (28.8%, career high)
Symir (65.2%!!!!!!!!)
Jayce (26.6%, career high)

We're only 4 games in. I get that it can take some time for this team to integrate all the new pieces (Koby, Greg, Symir, Jayce) and find their groove. But they need to start figuring it out soon.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2019, 12:01:13 PM »
Was out of town and didn't have a chance to see this one. While I can't comment on the game itself, this subject line is outstanding. Well done, Tower!

What I can comment on are the turnovers, which have been atrocious so far this season. It's not limited to just a few players, either:

Markus (19.9 TO% per KenPom, highest since his freshman year)
Koby (23.8%, career high)
Sacar (26.7%, career high)
Greg (28.7%, career high)
Jamal (20.4%, a career low but still way too high)
Brendan (23.9%, 4x higher than last season)
Ed (28.8%, career high)
Symir (65.2%!!!!!!!!)
Jayce (26.6%, career high)

We're only 4 games in. I get that it can take some time for this team to integrate all the new pieces (Koby, Greg, Symir, Jayce) and find their groove. But they need to start figuring it out soon.

I’d agree on the older guys, but Symir is a pretty small sample size. He had a rough first game with 4 TOs but hasnt turned it over in his (very) limited minutes in the next 3 games. The team travels way too much though.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »
Jayce; career high TO %.  Actually look at the totals, 10 minutes, 1 TO.  Yea I'm not going to read anything into that.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2019, 12:51:46 PM »
Take Jayce and Symir out of the equation, and that's still waaaayyy too many turnovers by waaaayyy too many players. Gotta improve.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2019, 12:58:07 PM »
Also not sure where you're getting your data because I see Koby with a TO% of 21.3.  Still a career high, but a number I can live with when you also look at his career high assist %, 64% 3 point shooting percentage on over 4 attempts per game, and an overall ORtg of 122.6.  Considering the amount of time transfers usually take to make an impact, he's overachieved in almost every facet.  Still a very small sample size though.

Edit: TO% at this point can be misleading because of sample size issues.  BB, Sacar, and Greg have almost 40% of our TOs, they absolutely need to tighten up the handle.  Others, I'm less worried about.  We're also only averaging 12 TOs against high majors, rather than the 21 against low majors, so the silver lining is that, iirc, similar to the start of the season last year, when we're playing inferior opponents we turn it over more, which may be attributed to more experimenting with line-ups, knowing that we have a larger margin for error etc.  Something to keep an eye on for sure, but somewhat misleading (again because of the sample size).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 01:08:08 PM by Its DJOver »
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2019, 01:32:45 PM »
Numbers are all from KenPom. Agree that we shouldn't jump to any conclusions based on just 4 games. But it's definitely concerning -- especially with so many experienced players on the roster.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
With Morrow, I'm a little surprised when he doesn't travel, especially if he catches the ball more than 3-4 feet from the hoop. Love the energy he brings and the rebounding, but I sure wish he could make a move without shufflin' off to Buffalo so often!

Otherwise ... yikes ... I knew the turnovers were bad but this is even worse than I thought. Gotta get that fixed. Our margin of error is not that large this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2019, 01:42:15 PM »
With Morrow, I'm a little surprised when he doesn't travel, especially if he catches the ball more than 3-4 feet from the hoop. Love the energy he brings and the rebounding, but I sure wish he could make a move without shufflin' off to Buffalo so often!

Otherwise ... yikes ... I knew the turnovers were bad but this is even worse than I thought. Gotta get that fixed. Our margin of error is not that large this season.

Speaking of Morrow, here is a video of him traveling in practice that the MU twitter account just posted :

https://twitter.com/marquettembb/status/1199397086158053376?s=21

Maybe a silly discussion, but you wonder if the coaching staff should emphasize those fundamentals a bit more during practice.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2019, 01:44:00 PM »
Speaking of Morrow, here is a video of him traveling in practice that the MU twitter account just posted :

Maybe a silly discussion, but you wonder if the coaching staff should emphasize those fundamentals a bit more during practice.

Ugh I mean I know it might not be what they were focusing on but that should be called every time till they fix it
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2019, 01:45:30 PM »

I remember thinking that both Otule and Juan traveled just about every time they touched the ball, and just left it up the fact that the refs weren't going to call it every time.  Juan traveling on his jab step was almost a free space in MU BINGO.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »

Disagree completely. Wojo has earned none of the trust Buzz nor Beard have. Comparing the poor/overreaction/unfair criticisms of them after poor games does not make criticisms of Wojo after a similar poor game(s) unfounded.

The only thing similar between those three scenarios is all have had a bad game. While Wojo has provided zero evidence needed to give him the trust those two have after a bad game or even run of games. This is year 6 now. He has to actually show us something now. 
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2019, 03:25:30 PM »
Ugh I mean I know it might not be what they were focusing on but that should be called every time till they fix it

This is exactly the type of thing he's been doing in games. Maddening and discouraging in that it truly appears to be a habit that is unlikely to go away easily. It's bizarre how smooth he looks sometimes on those reverse layups where he uses the rim to shield the defender and then in just about every other instance in the post where he shuffles his feet first. Yikes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2019, 03:55:51 PM »
Disagree completely. Wojo has earned none of the trust Buzz nor Beard have. Comparing the poor/overreaction/unfair criticisms of them after poor games does not make criticisms of Wojo after a similar poor game(s) unfounded.

The only thing similar between those three scenarios is all have had a bad game. While Wojo has provided zero evidence needed to give him the trust those two have after a bad game or even run of games. This is year 6 now. He has to actually show us something now.

There's a difference between giving up on a coach and giving up on a team. We have 5 years of data on Wojo so any criticisms or praise sent his way have a large sample size to back it up. The 2019-2020 team only has a sample size of 4 games.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2019, 05:21:47 PM »
We will learn ALOT about this team from this tournament

feedback