[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Morris less  (Read 14778 times)

MUDPT

• All American
Re: Morris less
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2019, 06:36:28 PM »
Anybody know what’s up the fast break? Seems like a guy runs to the corner, and the ball automatically goes to him. 90%, that guy is covered and the ball gets cycled back out and the break is over.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2019, 06:38:09 PM »
Hate to say it but I think we’re looking at a .500 Be team.

This team very well could just miss the tourney. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2019, 06:55:50 PM »
.500 in the BE maybe the ceiling for this team...

Hate to say it but I think we’re looking at a .500 Be team.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »
.500 in the BE maybe the ceiling for this team...
If there isn't serious improvement on offense you may be right

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2019, 07:37:25 PM »
You're never as good as your best win or as bad as your worst loss. Sure, this team could fall flat, but it's too early to say and judging them DOA after a win where no one got hurt is silly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2019, 08:10:10 PM »
That was the third worst turnover % game in Wojo’s tenure. That won’t continue.

#WinOrlando

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2019, 08:14:48 PM »
This team very well could just miss the tourney.

Early yet for that call. Looking forward to see how we play in Orlando.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2019, 08:26:33 PM »
Not sure I can remember a team being called for travelling so much.  Need to slow things down a bit.

We looked terrible against the press as well - I have to imagine we'll start seeing a lot more of that until we can prove we can beat the pressure.

NCAA is finally starting to emphasise the traveling call - long overdue in my opinion.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2019, 08:57:10 PM »
JjJ's jumper improved.  I really liked when they ran the curl for him off the screens at the foul line.   He got a lot of points that way.   Same play worked for Haanif.   They run it for Sacar now, but he won't finish.
     JjJ acknowledged at the postseason banquet that he had been a knucklehead.  And I can't get past a senior, after being told that all positions would be determined by effort in practice, showing up late and earning a DNP/CD.     
   I want Sacar to step up his defense and effort.

And is a horrible ft shooter
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2019, 09:57:49 PM »
I think the most concerning aspect for me today was how easily we allowed dribble penetration, especially considering we do have length and athleticism. 

I lamented this several times.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 10:02:15 PM »
Ugly, ugly, ugly game. Not many positives to take from that one. If this is our new normal then we are in serious trouble. Fortunately, I don't think that's what will happen.

Four data points so far. 2 positive, 2 negative. The 2 negative ones were worse than the positive ones were good in my opinion, so it starts to temper my expectations a bit. But sample size of four is pretty small. Come out and win the first two in Orlando and I'm feeling pretty okay with where we are at. Win three and I won't even remember this game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2019, 10:04:24 PM »
JjJ's jumper improved.  I really liked when they ran the curl for him off the screens at the foul line.   He got a lot of points that way.   Same play worked for Haanif.   They run it for Sacar now, but he won't finish.
     JjJ acknowledged at the postseason banquet that he had been a knucklehead.  And I can't get past a senior, after being told that all positions would be determined by effort in practice, showing up late and earning a DNP/CD.     
   I want Sacar to step up his defense and effort.

JJJ was likely a bigger "knucklehead" than Sacar. He was also a better basketball player.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2019, 10:07:01 PM »
Come out and win the first two in Orlando and I'm feeling pretty okay with where we are at. Win three and I won't even remember this game.

Yessir.

Davidson game is huge, huge, huge.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2019, 12:02:05 AM »
Why is Howard the 2G on this team? Last year he had the ball in his hands 90% of the time on a top 10 team. McEwen is a decent player but can barely dribble the ball. Imo howard needs to take over PG duties and shoot 25+ times for this team to have a chance. Can't wait for some new faces in this program.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2019, 12:53:41 AM »
Why is Howard the 2G on this team? Last year he had the ball in his hands 90% of the time on a top 10 team. McEwen is a decent player but can barely dribble the ball. Imo howard needs to take over PG duties and shoot 25+ times for this team to have a chance. Can't wait for some new faces in this program.
McEwen sees the pass.  Howard only sees the basket.  When he tried to pass, it was so late that the guy who had been open was already covered.  McEwen could turn out to be a very complete player.  He could also see over and pass out of the double team, which Howard cannot.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2019, 05:28:16 AM »
JJJ was likely a bigger "knucklehead" than Sacar. He was also a better basketball player.
When he wanted to be.   He was/is a prototype Buzz switchable.   6'5, long arms, versatile offensively, could guard multiple positions.  Miles of talent.  Fun to watch when he was engaged.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

connie

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »
I find the Kentucky rationalizations extremely frustrating.  That model seems to accept early season troubles as the year's collection of alphas works out their roles.  At best, the model produces something really special. At worst, the collection of talent is usually sufficient to play for a conference championship and rack up a win or two in the tourney.  We certainly don't have the athletes to play to this model, and I think it is becoming evident that we don't have the coaching power to compensate.  I thought our model was going to be to get a core of smart players with a good amount of talent and let them develop together, then add in a transfer or talented underclassman to fill the weaknesses.  Guess that didn't work out as planned, leaving us with mediocrity. 
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »
I haven’t been on scoop much lately and so not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere and frankly this is purely conjecture, but....

It appears from social media that Markus and his gf May have broken up within the last week or so (not sure if before or after Wisco game), and could be a reason why it appears he’s been a little off.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2019, 09:54:20 AM »
Connie
Spot on. I wish we were ranked number one and lost a game like Kentucky did. Many on here hate the Al era comparisons, yet throw out comparisons to this program and elite programs of today.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2019, 10:02:39 AM »
I find the Kentucky rationalizations extremely frustrating.

Sometimes good teams struggle to beat bad teams.

1) Duke was tied with kenpom #134 Georgia State at halftime.
2) Louisville was trailing kenpom #344 USC Upstate 43-40 in the second half.
5) North Carolina led kenpom #213 Gardner-Webb by just 51-47 with 10 minutes to play & was trailing kenpom #327 Elon 33-32 at halftime.
9) Kentucky lost to kenpom #172 Evansville.

That's just teams in the current top-10, not to mention previous MU close calls such as Presbyterian in 2018, Southeastern Louisiana & NC-Central in 2012, Norfolk State in 2011, and more going back. Or close calls this year by other top-25 teams like Seton Hall, Arizona, Utah State, Xavier, VCU, Texas, and Washington.

That doesn't mean we will end up being a great team, but the idea that having a poor result against a weaker opponent is somehow indicative a team is doomed to mediocrity would mean about half of the top-25 is mediocre at best.

connie

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2019, 10:08:09 AM »
My fear of mediocrity is based upon the past 5 years, not a pair of disappointing performances against athletically inferior but better coached teams.  Pointing out that we share one problem with Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina only makes me want to ask you to compare our successes over the same time period.  "We beat Villanova at home" is nice, but not at all comparable.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »
That doesn't mean we will end up being a great team, but the idea that having a poor result against a weaker opponent is somehow indicative a team is doomed to mediocrity would mean about half of the top-25 is mediocre at best.

I tend to agree that yesterday's performance isn't necessarily some kind of ominous writing on the wall, foreshadowing a terrible season. But it did certainly highlight some things Wojo and the team need to work on. The biggest thing for me is that the team hasn't looked prepared for any of the games yet. I feel like all the first halves we've played so far have been pretty sub-par, and then the guys get going a little more in the second half.

They've had a ton of time to prepare for both of the last 2 games, but the guys just don't seem to be ready to go when the games tipped off. This is a trend I'd love to see reversed in Orlando.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2019, 10:12:41 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2019, 10:55:08 AM »
My fear of mediocrity is based upon the past 5 years, not a pair of disappointing performances against athletically inferior but better coached teams.  Pointing out that we share one problem with Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina only makes me want to ask you to compare our successes over the same time period.  "We beat Villanova at home" is nice, but not at all comparable.

I get that argument, but it's completely different than the argument I responded to. And last year, we had a top-10 team (despite similar struggles with Presbyterian and UTEP) before Markus' injury sank our season.

Yesterday sucked and revealed a number of issues with this team, most notably on the offensive end and creating live ball turnovers, but a bad win is still better than losing the same game. Last year's team followed that Presbyterian game by winning 20 of their next 23. Too early to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2019, 12:07:42 PM »
I tend to agree that yesterday's performance isn't necessarily some kind of ominous writing on the wall, foreshadowing a terrible season. But it did certainly highlight some things Wojo and the team need to work on. The biggest thing for me is that the team hasn't looked prepared for any of the games yet. I feel like all the first halves we've played so far have been pretty sub-par, and then the guys get going a little more in the second half.

They've had a ton of time to prepare for both of the last 2 games, but the guys just don't seem to be ready to go when the games tipped off. This is a trend I'd love to see reversed in Orlando.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire