[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 164273 times)

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #600 on: April 26, 2024, 10:23:32 PM »
Get a Kamado, wont regret it...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #601 on: April 26, 2024, 10:25:17 PM »
Get a Kamado, wont regret it...

Good choice, good value over green egg.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #602 on: April 27, 2024, 02:11:00 PM »
BUUUUMMMMP.

Looking to upgrade my rig, any Traeger fans here?

love my traeger!!  chili talked me into switching from masterbilt electric with traditional wood chip feeder to pellet grill.  so much better with predictable results
don't...don't don't don't don't

reinko

• All American
« Reply #603 on: April 27, 2024, 02:12:48 PM »
  love my traeger!!  chili talked me into switching from masterbilt electric with traditional wood chip feeder to pellet grill.  so much better with predictable results

Thanks rocket, currently have the same Masterbuilt with the chip tray.  Product of food better too?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #604 on: April 27, 2024, 02:16:51 PM »
Thanks rocket, currently have the same Masterbuilt with the chip tray.  Product of food better too?

I had masterbilt for over 10 years and my wife would give her occasional nod but always complain the food was "too smokey".  she did like the salmon however.

with the traeger, she's been coming back for 2nd's.  the ribs(3-2-1), brisket and shoulder's are the best I've ever made.  I want to start experimenting with sausage

seems to have a more even smoke

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #605 on: April 28, 2024, 03:42:26 PM »
Just a couple weeks ago I got a Pit Boss at Menards. It’s very new, so I’m just getting started with it and cannot speak to durability.

It seems very well made. It’s heavy and the seams, etc. seem good. Packaging and assembly were well thought out and efficient. It’s very easy to use and the app is nice.

I shopped around for a while and it seemed like a really good value. 850 square inches of cooking surface; enamel coated iron grates; 21 pound hopper: a shelf on the front and the side; temperature probe. It also has a feature that allows direct access to the flame for higher heat searing.

On sale and with rebate, it was under $450. I think it is a good value. I know Traeger is considered the best by many, but a comparable Traeger is more than double the price. I know it’s too new to make any meaningful assessment, but so far I’m really happy with it.

Made bacon on it last week - 4 hours low and slow smoke. It worked great.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #606 on: April 28, 2024, 04:29:21 PM »
Just a couple weeks ago I got a Pit Boss at Menards. It’s very new, so I’m just getting started with it and cannot speak to durability.

It seems very well made. It’s heavy and the seams, etc. seem good. Packaging and assembly were well thought out and efficient. It’s very easy to use and the app is nice.

I shopped around for a while and it seemed like a really good value. 850 square inches of cooking surface; enamel coated iron grates; 21 pound hopper: a shelf on the front and the side; temperature probe. It also has a feature that allows direct access to the flame for higher heat searing.

On sale and with rebate, it was under $450. I think it is a good value. I know Traeger is considered the best by many, but a comparable Traeger is more than double the price. I know it’s too new to make any meaningful assessment, but so far I’m really happy with it.

Made bacon on it last week - 4 hours low and slow smoke. It worked great.

pit boss makes good stuff.  hopefully the stuff they procure for Menards is pit boss worthy.  I am not a fan of Menards as they've stiffed me on their rebates a couple of times and seems there is no trail.

but regardless, sounds like you got a nice product-good luck

btw, traeger has been watered down a little.  they better be careful of trying to coast on the name.  the one thing i've been struggling with somewhat is getting a little more smoke production or having the smoke hang out in the chamber longer for a little more of a robust flavor as needed.  my model does not have the super smoke function

I've tried cooking lower for a little bit longer as that produces more smoke, but my model does not allow for the draft damper to be augmented inside because of how my top shelf is attached in that region

long story short-don't hang your head on the brand-you've got a good product.  my sons bought me my traeger for a Christmas present because they know that they will be beneficiaries of the product that comes out-smart kids

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #607 on: April 28, 2024, 04:36:35 PM »
Just a couple weeks ago I got a Pit Boss at Menards.

Congrats!  I love smoking some bacon.  Throw a pork shoulder on there next.  I do an 18 hour version - though I usually cheat and smoke for 9 hours, then finish in the oven at about 225 overnight for another 9.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #608 on: April 28, 2024, 04:50:12 PM »
  pit boss makes good stuff.  hopefully the stuff they procure for Menards is pit boss worthy.  I am not a fan of Menards as they've stiffed me on their rebates a couple of times and seems there is no trail.

but regardless, sounds like you got a nice product-good luck

btw, traeger has been watered down a little.  they better be careful of trying to coast on the name.  the one thing i've been struggling with somewhat is getting a little more smoke production or having the smoke hang out in the chamber longer for a little more of a robust flavor as needed.  my model does not have the super smoke function

I've tried cooking lower for a little bit longer as that produces more smoke, but my model does not allow for the draft damper to be augmented inside because of how my top shelf is attached in that region

long story short-don't hang your head on the brand-you've got a good product.  my sons bought me my traeger for a Christmas present because they know that they will be beneficiaries of the product that comes out-smart kids

I’ve heard a smoke tube can help getting more smoke on pellet smokers.

https://a.co/d/4obt829

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #609 on: April 28, 2024, 05:02:04 PM »
I’ve heard a smoke tube can help getting more smoke on pellet smokers.

https://a.co/d/4obt829

yes, I got a couple.  used one once so far,  they are a challenge to get lit even with a torch.  next time i'm going to try with wood chips instead of pellets.  I originally bought to use them to cold smoke some cheese

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #610 on: April 28, 2024, 07:06:22 PM »
  pit boss makes good stuff.  hopefully the stuff they procure for Menards is pit boss worthy.

Hope so. I started at Lowe’s and saw an 850 model they had there. Then found the Menards one. I figured the Lowe’s would be better, but some research actually suggested the one at Menards was a bit better overall. I’ve not shopped at Menards much at all, so hopefully it all works out.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #611 on: April 29, 2024, 06:55:26 AM »
You can buy a down draft accessory for a green mountain.  The device exhausts the smoke at the grates…drawing more smoke across the food.

They are mage by Don Goedke.  I think he makes them for other brands too.