collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bill Walton  (Read 8336 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Bill Walton
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2020, 12:11:03 AM »
I never understood people muting audio. I bet nobody really does it.

You'd lose the bet, Mr. N. I mute it quite often. Muted it last night because I'm not a Bill Walton fan, and mute it every time Dickey calls one of our games.

Like you and most other Scoopers, I am plenty knowledgeable enough about basketball to know what's going on without announcers -- especially those who tend not to tell me what's actually happening on the few plays that matter.

I mean, in non-COVID seasons, I often get together at bars with friends to watch Marquette play, and they usually don't have the volume on. We enjoy it just fine.

If Robinson and Walton were great last night, well, I guess I missed their greatness.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2020, 11:59:22 AM »
If Robinson and Walton were great last night, well, I guess I missed their greatness.

For the portions I had unmuted - he certainly waxed poetically about Marquette.  So in that way he wasn't bad?

But he certainly didn't do any research into the current roster, previous games, know names, or even pay any attention to the current game.  So that part was just as usual.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2020, 02:09:52 PM »
For the portions I had unmuted - he certainly waxed poetically about Marquette.  So in that way he wasn't bad?

But he certainly didn't do any research into the current roster, previous games, know names, or even pay any attention to the current game.  So that part was just as usual.

I know Marquette history pretty well, so I don’t think I missed much.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2020, 03:50:24 PM »
I know Marquette history pretty well, so I don’t think I missed much.

Walton can be very annoying and even more so without someone skilled like Schulman to pull him back in, but it was cool to hear someone without any ties to the university speak so glowingly and articulately about the program and it’s history. It wasn’t media guide stuff either, or the standard National/Dickie V “oh my good great friend Al McGuire”, it was Major Goolsbys, the student seating at the Mecca, the people MU has put in the pros, etc... For a PAC 12 broadcast, he put a near excessive amount of respect on Marquette’s name. And it was clearly from the heart. I honestly would think that UCLA fans watching the game were like “enough about Marquette already”.

If your preconceived opinion of him is beyond repair, that’s totally fine. But as someone who wasn’t looking forward to hearing him spin off the face of the earth like he normally does, I was pleasantly surprised and appreciated his perspective and respect. I also disagree with Rocky, he had some good points about the freshman and Carton and Koby that showed he did some homework. There were a few points where I was like “dude knows basketball and can be really insightful when he’s not getting distracted into a story by literally ANYTHING”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2020, 07:37:38 PM »
Walton can be very annoying and even more so without someone skilled like Schulman to pull him back in, but it was cool to hear someone without any ties to the university speak so glowingly and articulately about the program and it’s history. It wasn’t media guide stuff either, or the standard National/Dickie V “oh my good great friend Al McGuire”, it was Major Goolsbys, the student seating at the Mecca, the people MU has put in the pros, etc... For a PAC 12 broadcast, he put a near excessive amount of respect on Marquette’s name. And it was clearly from the heart. I honestly would think that UCLA fans watching the game were like “enough about Marquette already”.

If your preconceived opinion of him is beyond repair, that’s totally fine. But as someone who wasn’t looking forward to hearing him spin off the face of the earth like he normally does, I was pleasantly surprised and appreciated his perspective and respect. I also disagree with Rocky, he had some good points about the freshman and Carton and Koby that showed he did some homework. There were a few points where I was like “dude knows basketball and can be really insightful when he’s not getting distracted into a story by literally ANYTHING”

+1000. To those who had made up their minds BEFORE the game, he sucked. Rocky panned his performance without even listening!

Those who actually tuned in (other than our resident sourpuss - Fluffy) were generally pleasantly surprised.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2020, 07:48:30 PM »
Rocky panned his performance without even listening!

Not true.  I listened for about 2/3 of the 1st half.  It was awful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2020, 09:38:00 PM »
Not true.  I listened for about 2/3 of the 1st half.  It was awful.

Rock

Just rewatched about 2/3 of the first half of our NCAA tournament game vs S Carolina. Conclusion? We were really good. S Carolina was awful.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2020, 09:43:56 PM »

Bill’s quote of the night was referring to Wisconsin as the Gophers.