[May 13, 2024, 08:40:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by brewcity77
[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin Athletes Decry Campus Racism  (Read 17288 times)

fjm

• All American
Re: Wisconsin Athletes Decry Campus Racism
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 01:49:00 PM »
Good opportunity for our student section during rodent intros in a few weeks:

"Ra-cist cam-pus". Clap clap clap clap clap

That chant just increased the ticket prices for the game.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2016, 01:51:58 PM »
Like the responses here so far. Racism is a tough nut to crack for so many reasons--I think a piece of it, especially in conventionally "progressive" places, is that while we've rightly labeled racism as an odious thing, it's been stigmatized to the point where we simply refuse to accept that it still pervades our thoughts and actions. Think about it--if you call out someone for saying something racist, the first reaction is almost always for them to get defensive about it. There's an unwillingness to self-reflect and examine, so no one learns or grows from the experience.

And, sadly, looking at some of the comments around the internet on this topic, there's even an attempt by some to deny the validity of Nigel's thoughts on the matter, like he's not allowed to have an opinion. I'm happy he's using his status to speak out and be heard on this stuff, even if some people continue to just not get it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2016, 01:57:06 PM »
Like the responses here so far. Racism is a tough nut to crack for so many reasons--I think a piece of it, especially in conventionally "progressive" places, is that while we've rightly labeled racism as an odious thing, it's been stigmatized to the point where we simply refuse to accept that it still pervades our thoughts and actions. Think about it--if you call out someone for saying something racist, the first reaction is almost always for them to get defensive about it. There's an unwillingness to self-reflect and examine, so no one learns or grows from the experience.

And, sadly, looking at some of the comments around the internet on this topic, there's even an attempt by some to deny the validity of Nigel's thoughts on the matter, like he's not allowed to have an opinion. I'm happy he's using his status to speak out and be heard on this stuff, even if some people continue to just not get it.

Very well stated.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 02:13:18 PM »
My sincerest Thanks and compliments on the tone and tenor of these posts. Only months after the vitrol of the politics board we have responded thoughtfully to a hot button issue of the day.
The progress that is needed to improve on racism in the USA depends on open thoughtful, and respectful discourse.
Thank you for this, but...I tend to agree....
superbar. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »
*Opens can...*

It blows my mind that people might use their status/spotlight to address issues meaningful to them.

I'm surprised more don't do it. Especially on a professional level.

We'd all be okay with that, as long as it was peaceful, right?

*...worms now everywhere.*

*Runs away*

MuMark

• All American

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 05:00:32 PM »
Not sure how Hayes is being oversensitive. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2016, 05:21:51 PM »
Agree completely.  I live in Madison.  My old boss still tells me the angriest he ever saw me at work was when someone called Marquette players "thugs." When I asked why they thought they were, the answer was Dwight Bucyks's hair.  You will have idiots in every fan base, but I'm confused why it took so long to revoke the tickets and punish those individuals.
If that guy believed that the team was thugs because of Buycks' hair, then he must feel that the team was a bunch of gang bangin' thugs when terry Reason played.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2016, 05:31:08 PM »
i often hold al up as a great example of what can be done when you embrace diversity and individuals.  he let, and encouraged, his players to be themselves...as a result they flourished.  i wasn't around at that time, but watching and reading what i have about al, i have to believe there were plenty of people that objected???

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2016, 05:38:57 PM »
BTW, what is UW "refusing to admit?"

That they're no different, and perhaps even have it worse, than most other major universities when it comes to racial issues.

What avid said is dead-on.  Call someone out for racism, and they get defensive.  And as we all know, in Madison, there's no offense when you're playing defense.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:41:45 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »
Not sure how Hayes is being oversensitive.

And the implied "Shut up and take it" is a really horrible message to send to a kid speaking out about a problem like this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »
That they're no different, and perhaps even have it worse, than most other major universities when it comes to racial issues.

When has UW asserted they were different?

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2016, 06:05:10 PM »
When has UW asserted they were different?

Racism does start at schools, I do not know if it has changed, but at the Nicolet School systems, the kids are bused in and at lunch the black sit with the black kids
and the white with the white kids.  Maybe somebody can enlighten me, if it has changed.  But it should.  It starts there.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2016, 06:50:02 PM »
Because we need an overt racist's opinion in order to shed light on this matter

teal, right?
don't...don't don't don't don't

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »
And the implied "Shut up and take it" is a really horrible message to send to a kid speaking out about a problem like this.
As a KC guy I've watched Whitlock go from "taking different opinions to spark needed conversation" to "just plane agitator".  I think he's just trying to hold onto his niche which is sad to see at the expense of those he could support. 

I don't know enough about Madison (thankfully) to know about their towns social dynamics but I do appreciate Nigel's thoughtful expression.  Seems like a good guy other than 40 minutes in December (also - should probably swallow the 'racist campus' chant - won't go over well on TV at all)

teal, right?
your questioning of teal is in teal right?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2016, 07:38:20 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2016, 07:59:09 PM »
How does one decry?

If one wants to cry foul, how does that compare to one that wants to decry foul?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2016, 08:08:22 PM »
Anyone who doesn't think that Marquette's campus is immune from this is probably white...

As Benny points out, however, the PDR of Madison considers itself a bastion of tolerance and inclusion. Aspiration and reality canb be very different things.

Fact is, WI is one of the more segregated and intolerant states in the Union.

Death on call

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
teal, right?

Just a traditional post, you know?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2016, 05:31:15 AM »
Just a traditional post, you know?

that's quite the bomb you're throwing, aina?  where i come from, it's typically not cool to blast someone with false accusations upon one who cannot defend themselves. but you just couldn't help yourself.  you may have had some very real differences with the man, but to stoop to using the "R" word on him is disgusting.  so by using the word "traditional" is grounds for labeling a person "racist"??  say all you want about disagreeing with his points of view, but calling someone a racist over that is just intellectually lazy and dishonest and wrong and deserves an apology...just a reminder of what he said as he cannot defend himself here

ChicosBailBonds
All American

#AllInnocentLivesMatter
View Profile  Cracked Sidewalks  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: You guys think this board is tough...look at UL board
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2011, 04:32:18 PM »
Quote from: Ners on March 17, 2011, 04:17:07 PM
I provided an answer to you previously in this thread - but I'm pretty sure you are more than capable of identifying why they are traditional:  good shooters from the field, fundamentally sound, resemble Wisconsin Badger players, and they are white. 

Did I really need to lay this out to you a 2nd time, when you are the board's resident expert on traditional recruiting?!!

Ahh...thank you, don't recall seeing it but I'll go and check it out.   I don't define traditional with an ethnicity, race or anything else about the player, why are you doing that?  Why is race such an issue with your definition?

Justice isn't fundamentally sound....he's a poor free throw shooter and a poor 3 point shooter, nothing fundamental about him at all.

I think you and others on this board confuse "traditional" with what you perceive to be some odd vision of some little white kid running around.  As I've stated from the beginning, I would define Wesley Matthews as traditional Steve Novak, Travis Diener, etc...smart players that do the traditional things like shoot, pass, make free throws as fitting my traditional definition.  Last I checked, not all those guys are white, or Asian, or African American, or Hispanic, etc....
Report to moderator     Logged
ChicosBailBonds
All American

#AllInnocentLivesMatter

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »
Quote from: Ners on March 17, 2011, 03:45:03 PM
Because they look very much like Wisconsin Badgers.  Good shooters from the field.  Fundamentally sound.  White.  What else do you need?  You are their biggest advocate!!

I'm the biggest advocate of fundamentally sound players....white, black, green, purple doesn't matter.  Taylor of Wisconsin is an extremely fundamentally sound player.  Tell me again if he's white?

AND

ChicosBailBonds
All American

#AllInnocentLivesMatter

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »
Quote from: Ners on March 17, 2011, 03:45:03 PM
Because they look very much like Wisconsin Badgers.  Good shooters from the field.  Fundamentally sound.  White.  What else do you need?  You are their biggest advocate!!

I'm the biggest advocate of fundamentally sound players....white, black, green, purple doesn't matter.  Taylor of Wisconsin is an extremely fundamentally sound player.  Tell me again if he's white?

Nice straw man you got going there ners, but not surprised at all.

By the way, is Justice a "good shooter" because he's white and he fits YOUR definition of traditional?  I think he's anything but fundamentally sound.  61% FT shooter, 25% 3Point shooter...below 35% overall.  Exactly why do YOU think he's fundamental or even a good shooter?  The stats don't say that...must be YOUR definition of traditional which certainly isn't mine.  Too bad race is such a key issue with your definition.

Marra...same story...28.5% 3-point shooter, below 33% overall, but he is a good FT shooter so he fits one of the criteria.

Weird that you would call them both good shooters when they clearly aren't.  Weird.  Something tells me you were trying to make a point but missed very very badly.  Try again.

don't...don't don't don't don't

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2016, 08:22:12 AM »
Can't wait till December 10th ;D

I hope we don't witness a disaster where MU students trying to embarrass Wisconsin students end up coming off as racist themselves.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2016, 08:29:13 AM »
I hope we don't witness a disaster where MU students trying to embarrass Wisconsin students end up coming off as racist themselves.

Yeah the white bros wearing headresses calling UW racist is probably not exactly the image we want to set for ourselves.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2016, 08:30:09 AM »
Agree completely.  I live in Madison.  My old boss still tells me the angriest he ever saw me at work was when someone called Marquette players "thugs." When I asked why they thought they were, the answer was Dwight Bucyks's hair.  You will have idiots in every fan base, but I'm confused why it took so long to revoke the tickets and punish those individuals.

Legitimate concerns over free speech protections.  Free speech can be messy.  You could argue that Wisconsin violated the Constitution in order to protect its own image.  Clearly the University was obligated by decency to denounce the costume, taking away the tickets of the perpetrators probably went too far.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:38:07 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »
Legitimate concerns over free speech protections.  Free speech can be messy.  You could argue that Wisconsin violated the Constitution in order to protect its own image.  Clearly the University was obligated by decency to denounce the costume, taking away the tickets of the perpetrators probably went too far.

It's not a free speech or Constitutional issue. You have no Constitutional right to football tickets.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2016, 10:59:56 AM »
that's quite the bomb you're throwing, right? 
His "traditional" comment has been litigated on here endlessly.  In typical Chicos fashion, he tried after the fact to claim he meant something else.  Perhaps that would have worked if there wasn't already a body of evidence around his thoughts.  Appears others saw it too.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback