[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136306 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1550 on: April 18, 2024, 05:23:21 PM »
Watched Cara's press conference and I'm rooting for her. Seems genuinely thrilled to be back at MU. Loved that Terri Mitchell and a few of that era's players were there.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1551 on: April 18, 2024, 05:58:32 PM »
You keep trying to make this about me instead of Marquette. I shared about 10% of what I knew when I knew it. You had every opportunity to say this isn’t accurate or correct or that isn’t accurate or correct at the time. You could have done so publicly or privately without revealing much of anything. It’s not until well after the process that you jump in to defend all things Marquette. We all want Marquette to maximize success. Well at least myself and Marquette Fan who actually discuss MUWBB.

Everything I said that happened, happened. I kindly shared information I had when I had it.  You may not like that. And you may not like how MU looks in the process. I also offered up many names of people that you can contact about it.

OK cool.

How many accounts have you created since you've been banned?  Is this the fourth?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1552 on: April 18, 2024, 07:20:26 PM »
Watched Cara's press conference and I'm rooting for her. Seems genuinely thrilled to be back at MU. Loved that Terri Mitchell and a few of that era's players were there.

I was able to watch online also - thanks for the tip about the MU YouTube Channel.  I also loved hearing that Terri was there.  There are some former players that pre-date Cara's time at MU that were there to support her also. 

A reporter brought up Cara acting as coach for a game in 2011 - I'm pretty sure that was when she took over after Terri got hit by a basketball in the head during a game and got a concussion and was taken back to the locker room.  There's nothing super relevant there - just a random thing I remember :) .

Interesting thing about 6 players  being there - they have 5 players on their roster now.  But it appears from pictures that Lee Volker was there to meet Consuegra today and I presume she was part of that 6 players that were referred to as being at the press conference.  Maybe she's considering pulling her name out of the transfer portal now?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1553 on: April 18, 2024, 07:40:25 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1554 on: April 18, 2024, 09:19:27 PM »
Jordan King, Claire Kaifes and Liza Karlen were also at today’s press conference.  I don’t know that Karlen will return to MU but nice to see that she attended.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1555 on: April 18, 2024, 09:58:35 PM »
Consuegra out contacting recruits already - a class of 2025 re-offered today by Marquette - https://twitter.com/Kate_sears12/status/1781011564084039921

Curious to hear about the status of the one signee for 2024 that I believe is still committed to MU.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #1556 on: April 19, 2024, 07:59:38 AM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1558 on: April 19, 2024, 08:04:07 AM »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1559 on: April 19, 2024, 08:53:20 AM »

Coach Consuegra:

In 13 seasons at Charlotte, Consuegra won 70% of her league games 2 times or 15% of the time.. It’s a common benchmark to establish league dominance.

She had 6 other top 4 league seasons, or 46% of the time. 2 of those were losing record overall seasons, and 1 was a Covid shortened season.

Consuegra had 5 overall losing record seasons out of 13, or 38% of the time. And her teams finished 6th or worse in the league more than half of the time, 7 times, or 54% of the time.

• All American
« Reply #1560 on: April 19, 2024, 08:58:11 AM »
Thanks!

Glad you went to wikipedia to look up something that anyone else could have. Not that it makes any difference whatsoever. She's MU's coach now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1561 on: April 19, 2024, 09:31:28 AM »
All the people posting about the coaching change saga will be posting here during the season too, right 😀?

Yeah I’m sure it will be dead again with basically just me talking to myself 😂

Hey I’ll be here lurking and silently appreciating your perspective like always

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1562 on: April 19, 2024, 10:48:32 AM »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1563 on: April 19, 2024, 11:15:32 AM »

Thanks.

I’d love to hear perspective from people about Lee Volker and Liza Karlen being at the press conference.  I believe Volker sat with the 5 players on the roster now and did appear to be part of the team meeting with Consuegra from pictures posted yesterday.  It seems she may be considering returning to MU.

I get the feeling Karlen may still end up somewhere else but it was nice of her to show support for the new coach.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1564 on: April 19, 2024, 03:33:04 PM »
Thanks.

I’d love to hear perspective from people about Lee Volker and Liza Karlen being at the press conference.  I believe Volker sat with the 5 players on the roster now and did appear to be part of the team meeting with Consuegra from pictures posted yesterday.  It seems she may be considering returning to MU.

I get the feeling Karlen may still end up somewhere else but it was nice of her to show support for the new coach.

I gave you what I knew about Karlen and Hare yesterday. I will update it when it changes.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1565 on: April 19, 2024, 04:28:59 PM »

I gave you what I knew about Karlen and Hare yesterday. I will update it when it changes.

I didn’t say anything about Hare in this post.  Actually the Volker stuff from yesterday is more interesting to me as it’s seems like there’s a decent chance she may return to MU. 

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1566 on: April 19, 2024, 06:10:18 PM »
I didn’t say anything about Hare in this post.  Actually the Volker stuff from yesterday is more interesting to me as it’s seems like there’s a decent chance she may return to MU.

Sent you a message about Volker.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1567 on: April 19, 2024, 09:35:57 PM »
Coach Consuegra:

In 13 seasons at Charlotte, Consuegra won 70% of her league games 2 times or 15% of the time.. It’s a common benchmark to establish league dominance.

She had 6 other top 4 league seasons, or 46% of the time. 2 of those were losing record overall seasons, and 1 was a Covid shortened season.

Consuegra had 5 overall losing record seasons out of 13, or 38% of the time. And her teams finished 6th or worse in the league more than half of the time, 7 times, or 54% of the time.

Sounds similar to Tom Crean’s career.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1568 on: April 20, 2024, 06:37:32 AM »
Sounds similar to Tom Crean’s career.

She made a Final 4 and guided a program into the 21st century?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1569 on: April 20, 2024, 09:24:14 AM »
She made a Final 4 and guided a program into the 21st century?

No, they both were mediocre coaches with mediocre conference records as DI head coaches - his (over 22 years) was 171-184 (.481), slightly on the wrong side of mediocre.

The notion that MUBB couldn’t have found the 21st century without his guidance is laughable. If D Wade gets a 19 on his ACT he’s a footnote to a storied program at Marquette and never heard of (how grateful they would be!) at Indiana or Georgia.

• All American
« Reply #1570 on: April 20, 2024, 09:35:57 AM »
No, they both were mediocre coaches with mediocre conference records as DI head coaches - his (over 22 years) was 171-184 (.481), slightly on the wrong side of mediocre.

The notion that MUBB couldn’t have found the 21st century without his guidance is laughable. If D Wade gets a 19 on his ACT he’s a footnote to a storied program at Marquette and never heard of (how grateful they would be!) at Indiana or Georgia.

Tom Crean was just fine at Marquette. Very good hire all around coming off the sleepy end to the Deane era.

If she can mimic what he did here, it will be considered a success.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1571 on: April 20, 2024, 09:41:07 AM »

Not really.  Marquette spent two decades longing for the past and failing to upgrade its facilities and bemoaning what once was (Then again, it’s still plagued by that in some regards). Mike Deane told people to be happy with a tourney appearance here and there.  New facilities and an upgrade to the Big East happened under his watch.

That’s okay the Marquette geriatrics don’t like him.  He dared the program to think big and move forward instead of longing for 1977.  Could have left after 2003 and taken any job he wanted.

Was he a great coach?  No, I won’t argue that but dismissing his contributions to Marquette is sour grapes and if the new women’s coach can match his achievements, the program will be in great shape and fun to follow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1572 on: April 20, 2024, 09:42:41 AM »
Crean was Wojo plus Wade as a coach.  But he was a salesman and promoter at a time when that was what MU needed.   Thanks, coach.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1573 on: April 20, 2024, 09:44:46 AM »

Yes, if he didn't get Wade, Crean wouldn't have done very well.

And if Buzz didn't stumble on Butler and didn't convince Marquette to let in Crowder, Buzz wouldn't have done very well.

But Crean DID get Wade (and Diener and Novak and Wes/Jarel/Dom) and DID produce our only post-Al Final Four team. And Buzz DID get Butler and Crowder (and Vander and DJO and Davante) and DID produce our best post-Al multiple-season postseason stretch.

Marquette would be ecstatic if Consuegra produces Crean-like results for the women's program: recruit the best player ever, reach the Final Four, bring in numerous other outstanding recruits, generally upgrade the program in all areas.

But then again, for me and some other Scoopers, it's not always a Crean-vs-Buzz war.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #1574 on: April 20, 2024, 09:54:43 AM »
It was ridiculous to even bring up Crean in the first place.

feedback