Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024?  (Read 1063652 times)

1SE

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 1/29/2024?
« Reply #6025 on: January 31, 2024, 03:17:17 PM »
I actually think we need Tennessee to win in order to be top 5. I think we're already in line to pass them given their home loss to the Cocks last night. If UK beats Tennessee on the road,  i think that will be more than enough for them to leapfrog us.  I think we only had like 7 votes on them and beating Florida and Tennessee is a lot more impressive than beating Nova and Georgetown

Good point - I suppose safest bet is for UK to lose tonight and then win Saturday.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6026 on: January 31, 2024, 09:41:59 PM »
Good point - I suppose safest bet is for UK to lose tonight and then win Saturday.

I stand corrected.  We do want UK to beat Tennessee
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #6027 on: February 01, 2024, 04:22:28 AM »
Gator chomp.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6028 on: February 03, 2024, 08:22:00 AM »
Obviously dependent on winning at Georgetown, but here's a rooting guide for this weekend's games and Marquette trying to get back to #1 for the first time since 1978:

• 1) UConn at St. John's - Cheer for the Johnnies, we won't pass UConn, but it would get them back to the pack.
  • 2) Purdue at 6) Wisconsin - Cheer for Bucky, unless it makes you sick. Decent chance we pass Wisconsin regardless with their loss at Nebraska, beating Purdue would get the Boilers back to the pack. Voters may forget Nebraska if Bucky beats Purdue, but if we want to pass Purdue, they likely need to take 2 losses before we take another.
  • 3 North Carolina vs 7) Duke - Cheer for UNC. We pass Duke if UNC wins, slim chance we pass both with a UNC win (considering the Heels' loss) but more likely we go past Duke and get closer to UNC.
  • 4 Houston at 8) Kansas - We would pass Kansas with a Houston loss, but if the goal is to get to #1, better to get both closer since the B12 provides plenty of loss opportunties.
  • 5 Tennessee at 10) Kentucky - Both lost this week, another loss by Tennessee would guarantee we pass them.
I suspect we go past one Wisconsin, one of UNC/Duke, one of Houston/Kansas, and Tennessee. Pretty good chance we're back to top-5 by Monday with a win today. I'd put the ceiling at 4 (unlikely) and the floor at 6 (if Duke and KU win, we might stay behind Houston and UNC as well).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6029 on: February 03, 2024, 08:25:08 AM »
Obviously dependent on winning at Georgetown, but here's a rooting guide for this weekend's games and Marquette trying to get back to #1 for the first time since 1978:

• 1) UConn at St. John's - Cheer for the Johnnies, we won't pass UConn, but it would get them back to the pack.
  • 2) Purdue at 6) Wisconsin - Cheer for Bucky, unless it makes you sick. Decent chance we pass Wisconsin regardless with their loss at Nebraska, beating Purdue would get the Boilers back to the pack. Voters may forget Nebraska if Bucky beats Purdue, but if we want to pass Purdue, they likely need to take 2 losses before we take another.
  • 3 North Carolina vs 7) Duke - Cheer for UNC. We pass Duke if UNC wins, slim chance we pass both with a UNC win (considering the Heels' loss) but more likely we go past Duke and get closer to UNC.
  • 4 Houston at 8) Kansas - We would pass Kansas with a Houston loss, but if the goal is to get to #1, better to get both closer since the B12 provides plenty of loss opportunties.
  • 5 Tennessee at 10) Kentucky - Both lost this week, another loss by Tennessee would guarantee we pass them.
I suspect we go past one Wisconsin, one of UNC/Duke, one of Houston/Kansas, and Tennessee. Pretty good chance we're back to top-5 by Monday with a win today. I'd put the ceiling at 4 (unlikely) and the floor at 6 (if Duke and KU win, we might stay behind Houston and UNC as well).

I cheer for good basketball and everyone having fun
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6030 on: February 03, 2024, 09:15:58 AM »
Thanks for that guide, brew.

Regardless of what UConn does today, I think we'll pass them if we beat them twice and won't pass them if we don't beat them twice. So I'd just as soon as they win today so we get to play them when they're #1.

Definitely rooting for Kansas and Kentucky.

I will be rooting for Madison ... to lose by 25. If Madison does happen to win, I'll take the Purdue loss as a consolation prize. If Madison wins impressively, I think they'll stay ahead of us despite the loss at Nebraska.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6031 on: February 03, 2024, 09:21:05 AM »

I'm lost.  Who do we want between Houston and Kansas?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6032 on: February 03, 2024, 09:32:04 AM »
I'm lost.  Who do we want between Houston and Kansas?

I would say Kansas, which is why they are bolded. We might not pass them, but if we want to eventually get to #1, Houston needs to take losses. Kansas will be easier to pass due to our neutral court win and they're more likely to take a loss in the next two weeks than Houston is.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6033 on: February 03, 2024, 09:43:07 AM »
I would say Kansas, which is why they are bolded. We might not pass them, but if we want to eventually get to #1, Houston needs to take losses. Kansas will be easier to pass due to our neutral court win and they're more likely to take a loss in the next two weeks than Houston is.

Thx.   Who do you think wis going to win in these games?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #6034 on: February 03, 2024, 09:46:24 AM »
Student athletes
Goal is National Championship

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6035 on: February 03, 2024, 09:49:44 AM »

Regardless of what UConn does today, I think we'll pass them if we beat them twice and won't pass them if we don't beat them twice. So I'd just as soon as they win today so we get to play them when they're #1.

I will be rooting for Madison ... to lose by 25. If Madison does happen to win, I'll take the Purdue loss as a consolation prize. If Madison wins impressively, I think they'll stay ahead of us despite the loss at Nebraska.

No way. Root for the Johnnies

Better for the league as a whole to get more strength in the middle

And Johnnies are still 38 in the NET. Will take more than just a UConn home win but they still have potential to climb up to a Q1 home game for us if they win a lot of other games and we beat them.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #6036 on: February 03, 2024, 09:51:54 AM »
Oh god. Last time we started polls on records over our next X number of games, posts about what it’ll take to get to #1, etc. we floundered horribly.

We aren’t getting to number 1 this year. Purdue has the head to head win, the far better resume, and the back to back National Player of the Year on its team. They aren’t losing enough games for us to pass them, and we aren’t going undefeated the rest of the year. We’re a good team. We have an outside shot at a 1 seed. If you’re rooting to be ranked #1, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6037 on: February 03, 2024, 10:04:40 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6038 on: February 03, 2024, 10:05:40 AM »
I’m cheering for Purdue over Wisconsin for tournament seeding purposes. Wisconsin is near us while there is no way we pass Purdue.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6039 on: February 03, 2024, 10:14:12 AM »

If I were guessing, I'd say UConn, Purdue, UNC, Kansas, and Tennessee. But that's just one person's guess.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6040 on: February 03, 2024, 10:15:55 AM »
Alls I know is that even discussing this will bring an upset loss today.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6041 on: February 03, 2024, 10:29:43 AM »
If I were guessing, I'd say UConn, Purdue, UNC, Kansas, and Tennessee. But that's just one person's guess.

I don't know why but I have a feeling St.John's is going to beat UCONN. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6042 on: February 03, 2024, 10:38:37 AM »
I don't know why but I have a feeling St.John's is going to beat UCONN.

Agree

Boilers beat buckwheat too.  Fun watching insufferable hyphen grads suffer.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6043 on: February 03, 2024, 10:44:38 AM »
Sorry can't root for Wisconsin, no way, no how. UConn and Johnnie's is also taboo, given their coaches the slimeball Pitino and the pain in the ass Hurley.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6044 on: February 03, 2024, 11:05:29 AM »
A lot of action going this weekend and main interest is MU continuing to get the job done. If MU goes 7-3 or better the rest of the way all is good. There are some so many great matchups and upsets it is very hard to get this in perspective.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #6045 on: February 03, 2024, 11:06:28 AM »
Oh god. Last time we started polls on records over our next X number of games, posts about what it’ll take to get to #1, etc. we floundered horribly.

We aren’t getting to number 1 this year. Purdue has the head to head win, the far better resume, and the back to back National Player of the Year on its team. They aren’t losing enough games for us to pass them, and we aren’t going undefeated the rest of the year. We’re a good team. We have an outside shot at a 1 seed. If you’re rooting to be ranked #1, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

That poll was absolutely directly related to the team's poor play. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6046 on: February 03, 2024, 11:08:53 AM »
You just need to focus on MU beating Gtown...this lack of focus is dangerous.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6047 on: February 03, 2024, 11:09:34 AM »
That poll was absolutely directly related to the team's poor play.

And also lets

Forget the fact that the same "how do we do in the next 5 games" polls were done all of last year too when we absolutely ravaged through the league.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #6048 on: February 03, 2024, 11:10:25 AM »
A more realistic goal is getting to #1 seed vs. being #1.  But being a solid 2 seed would still be great.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #6049 on: February 03, 2024, 11:39:41 AM »
Quote from: MU82 link[b
[/b]=topic=29770.msg1618562#msg1618562 date=1706973358]

rooting for Badger roadkill? We are aligned.