[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Observations about games at the Al  (Read 11642 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Observations about games at the Al
« on: March 18, 2018, 09:32:26 PM »
I've enjoyed my seat from the 400 section in the BC as a season-ticket holder for more than 20 years, and have gotten to know many of the other long-time ticket holders around me. But it's also been fun to be surrounded by different fans in the bleacher seats during the first two NIT games at the Al.

Today I sat behind a mom, her daughter and 2 friends. The girls were maybe 15 or 16, all decked out in Marquette gear and into the game. The daughter even kept score the entire time on her program. Awesome to see.

Behind me was a family with a daughter about 4. She protested "I can't see!" a couple times when everyone in front of her stood up after a great play. (I tried my best not to stand right in front of her and take away from the experience of a young fan.) She was super excited when the mascot made it to our section ("Golden Eagle!") in the 3rd quarter. Although she got sleepy near the end, she made it through the whole game.

To me left was another family with a 14-year-old daughter. They talked about meeting Andrew Rowsey in Hawaii for the Maui Invitational. Both mom and dad are big fans who know basketball. They've been bringing their daughter to games since she was a baby. Another highlight for them was going to the Final Four in 2003.

To my right was a couple maybe in their 30s. The wife got free tickets through work. More casual fans (they didn't know the names of any MU players), but clearly into the game, cheering for the home team, stomping on the bleachers and having a great time.

The Harvard game was a similar experience. Reinforced how great it is to be part of Marquette nation. Looking forward to the next one against Penn State.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:34:59 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Observations about games at the Al
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:44:17 PM »
If MU was smart, they would tie these NIT tickets to a pre-purchase at the new arena.  Instead, they are scaling back on the STHs for the student inventory and have very wide bans for points.

See ya...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:50:34 PM »
If MU was smart, they would tie these NIT tickets to a pre-purchase at the new arena.  Instead, they are scaling back on the STHs for the student inventory and have very wide bans for points.

See ya...

So if I'm reading this correctly, they're giving the students more seats on Tuesday?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:51:26 PM »
Can you clarify/elaborate, Blackheart? Do you mean buying tickets for the NIT should give some kind of priority for future season ticket holders? Not sure if you're talking about the Al or the new arena when you reference "scaling back on STHs." Also not sure what "very wide bans for points" means.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 10:11:11 PM »
And I’m not sure what see ya means?

STHs are leaving because they went from 6 tickets to 4 at the Al?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 10:19:47 PM »
Ok guys.  Calm down.  I am posing a business theoretical.  I said if they are smart, they would tie the post-season package to future ticket plans.  No different than the Brewers in a playoff year or as soon as the season ends. 

They didn't and in fact are now limiting those STHs to one third less tickets in favor of freeing inventory for non/low-donating fans like returning students.

So be it.  I have choices too.  This ain't Cameron.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 10:32:06 PM »
From a business standpoint Dr. B is absolutely correct. From a standpoint of making the Al a great environment I think the university got it right.

Students make a lot more noise than sweatervests.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 10:46:42 PM »
Ok guys.  Calm down.  I am posing a business theoretical.  I said if they are smart, they would tie the post-season package to future ticket plans.  No different than the Brewers in a playoff year or as soon as the season ends. 

They didn't and in fact are now limiting those STHs to one third less tickets in favor of freeing inventory for non/low-donating fans like returning students.

So, you are angry because you can't purchase 6 tickets to the game on Tues night, and are limited to just 4?

Does it seem right that a Season Ticket Holder who purchases 2 seats for the entire season, should be allowed to buy 6 for each of 3 NIT games (18 tickets in total), while a STH who purchases 4 seats for the entire season does not get an opportunity to buy ANY seats for ANY of the NIT games?

If you do, that's fine, I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.  A limit of 4 seems appropriate to me.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 11:01:27 PM »

These types of games don't come very often, and they want the place to be hopping.  Against Harvard, it was pretty loud in there.  Could not get up there today, but on TV it sounded great.  I have zero problem with Marquette putting the rambunctious students in camera view going crazy.  I qualify probably as a blue hair with my age, we will survive.  Hell, some of the people my age are pissing about being in the NIT.  Well screw them, let's get some young blood energized and blow the roof off the building on Tuesday night.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 11:11:25 PM »
So, you are angry because you can't purchase 6 tickets to the game on Tues night, and are limited to just 4?

Does it seem right that a Season Ticket Holder who purchases 2 seats for the entire season, should be allowed to buy 6 for each of 3 NIT games (18 tickets in total), while a STH who purchases 4 seats for the entire season does not get an opportunity to buy ANY seats for ANY of the NIT games?

If you do, that's fine, I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.  A limit of 4 seems appropriate to me.

I am not angry as I can get my tickets.  Take me out of the equation.

That said, I am advocating for the loyal fans and for MU to be smart with their business and being consistent with the STHs who pay the bills.  Changing the rules in the middle of this is alienating.  Not linking this post-season to a next year package is not smart business.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 11:14:26 PM »
I think the primary goal of Wojo and the athletic department is creating the best possible environment for the team. Wojo's repeatedly mentioned the incredible support and energy from the students in his post-game interviews, and said that the players feed off it.

Allocating extra tickets to students may be a smart marketing tool, as well. Next game determines who advances to New York for the championship semifinal. Might not appeal much to casual fans, certainly not on the level of the NCAA tournament. But a college basketball junkie like me watches all the postseason hoops that I can: NCAA, NIT, whatever. Lots of great games to see. And a big, crazy student section makes for good TV. Just what ESPN wants.

That said, the intent of my original post was to share what it felt like to be at the Al for these NIT games compared to the Bradley Center during the regular season. Would love to hear thoughts on this from others.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 11:15:09 PM »
I am not angry as I can get my tickets.  Take me out of the equation.

That said, I am advocating for the loyal fans and for MU to be smart with their business and being consistent with the STHs who pay the bills.  Changing the rules in the middle of this is alienating.  Not linking this post-season to a next year package is not smart business.

One might argue it's better for business to win the game (and move onto NYC).  To win, it helps to create a raucous environment.  To create that environment means to alienate old stodgy folks.   I think it's smart business at this point!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 11:20:51 PM »
One might argue it's better for business to win the game (and move onto NYC).  To win, it helps to create a raucous environment.  To create that environment means to alienate old stodgy folks.   I think it's smart business at this point!

Do you know how many BE games I have been at where the band were the only students left in the stands at the end? Call me stodgy but MU is about to ask STHs to pay 40% more next season...

Very doubtful the NIT is filling up the coffers...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 11:23:59 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 11:23:54 PM »
Do you know how many BE games I have been at where the band was the lonly students left in the stands at the end? Call me stodgy but MU is about to ask STHs to pay 40% more next season...

Most definitely not filling up the coffers, but that isn't what this is about.  These are bonus games and we are playing with house money.  This is perception time, and the department / university is saying perception is most important here.  Smart call.  Most MU fans want to go to the NIT Final Four in NYG, we have a better chance of getting there without a bunch of Marge Simpson's taking up seats.  Need energy at this point.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 11:25:48 PM »
Most definitely not filling up the coffers, but that isn't what this is about.  These are bonus games and we are playing with house money.  This is perception time, and the department / university is saying perception is most important here.  Smart call.  Most MU fans want to go to the NIT Final Four in NYG, we have a better chance of getting there without a bunch of Marge Simpson's taking up seats.  Need energy at this point.

Says the OC fan who instituted the point system to start with.  Pot meet kettle.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 11:26:45 PM »
Wow. So the school is allocating more tickets for the students to see their team play in their own gym. How dare they let the kids have a blast and go nuts. I say turn the whole place over to the kids. Now that would be s sight to see.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 12:18:25 AM »
Do you know how many BE games I have been at where the band were the only students left in the stands at the end? Call me stodgy but MU is about to ask STHs to pay 40% more next season...

And do you know how many times the sweater vests have not shown up to make the lower bowl half empty? Or walking in at the second TV timeout? It goes both ways. I doubt a big time donor is not going to re-up because they are only able to get 4 tickets instead of six for a NIT game.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 07:44:38 AM »
MU should let STH or students stand on the walkway behind the baskets Tuesday.  Could get a couple hundred behind each basket??

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 08:00:19 AM »
I do think this shows the benefit of putting students in some of the premium seats. I don't think you line the entire lower bowl with students, but specifically behind the hoops in both end zones it really helps amplify the environment.

This is another reason for an on campus arena. At the Silk, you likely couldn't have a small student section behind both hoops that didn't obstruct some STHs. In a specifically designed on campus venue, you could have a section that was lower than the seats around it to allow them to stand and go crazy without obstructing views.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 08:18:51 AM »
I do think this shows the benefit of putting students in some of the premium seats. I don't think you line the entire lower bowl with students, but specifically behind the hoops in both end zones it really helps amplify the environment.

This is another reason for an on campus arena. At the Silk, you likely couldn't have a small student section behind both hoops that didn't obstruct some STHs. In a specifically designed on campus venue, you could have a section that was lower than the seats around it to allow them to stand and go crazy without obstructing views.

So now you want to build a 9 figure arena because a brand new state of the art arena that might be the best in the entire country doesn't contemplate 'special student seating' in its design?  C'mon brew. You're a smart guy.  Picture that written proposal bf the BOT.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 08:26:27 AM »
The wife character, nored and I sat in the student section next to the lax bros (who are awesome by the way) for the game yesterday because there weren't enough students at the game to fill the section. The game was pretty loud and intense without them. So now we want to reduce the number of STH tickets so we can get more students to not show up?

Pretty disappointing decision IMO. Especially since the new STH have been the ones getting hosed with the NIT games and those are the ones you want to retain.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 08:32:08 AM »
With all this complaining about tickets, I'm surprised everyone forgot the NIT was all really a "participation award".   ::)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »
And do you know how many times the sweater vests have not shown up to make the lower bowl half empty? Or walking in at the second TV timeout? It goes both ways. I doubt a big time donor is not going to re-up because they are only able to get 4 tickets instead of six for a NIT game.

I didn't say that they won't reup for reducing from 6 to 4 (in fact, two games ago I proposed that very thing), I said MU should of had packages ready for next year as an incentive to reup. 

As to the students versus sweater vests, you do realize who filled The Al up for the first two games, right?  That the LAX team was in town so MU gave them an entire section to fill along with MU AD family members as not enough students were takers.  Since MU reserves 4000 student tickets in the BC, let's just give only students the 3500 tickets for next game instead of the STH who have spent six and seven figures lifetime. That will teach the Vesters!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 08:35:32 AM »
Consider it a reversal -  now that all students are back from break, they're adjusting to what the normal student allotment would be instead of offering an excessive six tickets per STH.  Seems fine to me to give them more than 1/8 of the Al and offer many an opportunity they may not ever get again while they're in school.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 08:45:55 AM »
At the Silk, you likely couldn't have a small student section behind both hoops that didn't obstruct some STHs.

It really chaps my hide when the student section is standing in front of the season ticket holders at Silk.  https://www.silkexotic.com