[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can We Finally End the Gonzaga to Big East Talk?  (Read 20491 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Can We Finally End the Gonzaga to Big East Talk?
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2017, 01:08:02 PM »
Cheap flight from MKE to Omaha is currently $310.
Cheap flight from MKE to Spokane for same dates is $360.

Granted there are soft costs in total travel time, and other factors, but if the benefits outweigh the costs, it's not insurmountable. What I have a hard time seeing is where Fox would pony up enough to make it a net benefit.

This

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2017, 09:53:05 AM »
More Benny B brilliance, getting a thread about Gonzaga joining the Big East started by asking if "Can we finally end the Gonzaga to Big East talk?"

Sometimes I amaze even myself.

The point I was trying to make is being made by just about everyone in this thread... whether pro or con-Zaga, all y'all are assuming that Gonzaga wants to join the Big East.

If you asked someone from Gonzaga 45 days ago why they would want to join the Big East, the #1 answer - by far - would be along the lines of increased competition/improved RPI/better standing/higher tourney seeding/more respect/greater exposure.  Sure, Gonzaga is a household name in March, but the general sentiment about them is the NCAA equivalent of Tony Romo... overall, they turn in great performances over the season and are always competitive, but unfortunately, what the general public tends to remember most about them is their lack of success beyond the first weekend. 

Look at it this way: you could assemble the greatest rocket scientists in the world, but if you relegate them to an aging municipal airport in eastern Wash, they're never going to reach the stars.  On the other hand, think of the Big East as Cape Canaveral... sure, it doesn't quite have the luster today that it did decades ago, but it's still the preeminent spaceport in the US and its resources/infrastructure is capable of setting you on course to anywhere you want to go.

Now... not only have the Zags now appeared in a championship game as a 1-seed, they took UNC to the wire and had a chance to win in regulation on the last possession.  I don't see how anyone can deem that a failed post-season or a "fluke" performance.  Sure, they need to get over the hump of actually winning a natty eventually, but for the foreseeable future, they will be getting much more of the exposure and respect they have deserved for quite a while now... and rest assured, they're going to use that to build one hell of a launching pad up there in Pac NW.

Whatever the benefits were of joining the Big East, Gonzaga did for themselves this year.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »
Now... not only have the Zags now appeared in a championship game as a 1-seed, they took UNC to the wire and had a chance to win in regulation on the last possession.  I don't see how anyone can deem that a failed post-season or a "fluke" performance.

One of my co-workers - a UNC fan - said last night's game was proof that Gonzaga was overrated and didn't deserve a one-seed.   :o
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2017, 10:46:45 AM »
One of my co-workers - a UNC fan - said last night's game was proof that Gonzaga was overrated and didn't deserve a one-seed.   :o

I'm very curious who he thought deserved the one seeds then.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »
Cheap flight from MKE to Omaha is currently $310.
Cheap flight from MKE to Spokane for same dates is $360.

Granted there are soft costs in total travel time, and other factors, but if the benefits outweigh the costs, it's not insurmountable. What I have a hard time seeing is where Fox would pony up enough to make it a net benefit.
But how many flights are available to Spokane? Few direct flights from LAX when I was doing business there. By the way, Nowhere is a destination from western Washington.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2017, 11:05:18 AM »

I always get a kick out of the "you know that other team that almost beat us... they really suck" argument.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2017, 11:12:24 AM »
...con-Zaga...

I see what you did there...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
I always get a kick out of the "you know that other team that almost beat us... they really suck" argument.

He was funny.  Started the conversation talking about how badly UNC played, and specifically referenced the missed FTs.  When I mentioned that they were pretty fortunate that Karnowski had a really off night and missed a lot of shots (which I think UNC does deserve some credit for) he launched into his rant of how overrated Gonzaga is and how they didn't deserve the No. 1.  I just laughed and explained that it's pretty hard to argue that a team didn't deserve the No. 1 seed when they make it to the final game and take it down to the wire.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2017, 11:41:08 AM »
I've always thought Denver could be a future option for big east expansion. They have the money,  the academics, the metro area,  and are dominant in every sport but basketball.  If they invest heavily in basketball I could see them growing into a viable candidate. Boston University has the same profile.  This is way down the road of course.

Selfishly, I've been hoping for this ever since they got added in Lacrosse.  A few years ago, it looked like DU's basketball program was starting to get off the ground for the first time in a long time, but they've fizzled in the Summit League.  I'm not quite sure why they've never seemed to make basketball a priority, especially since rejoining D1 20 years ago. 

Obviously, they've  been a great addition in Lacrosse, and the rest of their sports are decent to great depending on the sport. 

As you mention, in terms of institutional fit, I think they'd fit in well, and would bring a big media market in one of the fastest growing cities in the country. 

Likely, though, the only way I can see this happening is if there was a major seismic shift in college athletics that meant that the BE needed to drastically expand its footprint.  I don't think it makes sense now, but who knows what things look like in 10-20 years.  But, they could be a good school to have on the radar (an Lacrosse certainly helps that!); they could actually help be that bridge to a school like Gonzaga, especially if it made sense to have an East/West division set up. 

But, this is really just a selfish pipe dream for me to be able to watch MU here in Denver once a year, and not a likely reality (nor an optimal one, unless they really up their bball game). 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2017, 12:01:31 PM »
What if Gonzaga brought BYU with them?

Also, I truly don't understand the travel costs argument from a Big East perspective. That is Gonzaga's problem. If they were interested in joining, why would that be an issue for the rest of the Big East? If that ultimately meant they would say no to invite, that is one thing, but if they are willing, why do we give a rip about their travel costs? Not to mention the fact they would more than make it up with TV revenue.

To double the travel difficulties?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2017, 12:09:19 PM »
Selfishly, I've been hoping for this ever since they got added in Lacrosse.  A few years ago, it looked like DU's basketball program was starting to get off the ground for the first time in a long time, but they've fizzled in the Summit League.  I'm not quite sure why they've never seemed to make basketball a priority, especially since rejoining D1 20 years ago. 

In 1996 UD hired Joel Maturi who was an assistant AD at Wisconsin as their AD.  He wanted to hire UW-Platteville's Bo Ryan but the Chancellor didn't approve.  Imagine the what-if there.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2017, 03:06:00 PM »
Whatever the benefits were of joining the Big East, Gonzaga did for themselves this year.

Except the most important benefit: $$$$. Is the money ever made sense for both parties, Gonzaga would join the big east.  Right now it doesn't for at least one of the parties. Will that change? Who knows?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »
In 1996 UD hired Joel Maturi who was an assistant AD at Wisconsin as their AD.  He wanted to hire UW-Platteville's Bo Ryan but the Chancellor didn't approve.  Imagine the what-if there.

He'da been banging broads while wearing snowshoes?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2017, 12:03:02 AM »
Gonzaga to the Big East talk will not stop until either:

1. Gonzaga fades to a normal mid-major
2. Big East implodes
3. Gonzaga joins the Big East

#3 might be the most likely option.

Zags have no interest in logging frequent flyer miles. They are happy where they are. Only folks brining it up are here.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2017, 12:47:17 AM »
Zags have no interest in logging frequent flyer miles. They are happy where they are. Only folks brining it up are here.

Again. Didn't say it was going to happen. Just that the talk will continue until 1 of those three things happens.

The bolded isn't true. It might be true right this second, which should be expected considering Gonzaga has been pretty preoccupied during March. But prior to that, it got brought up on ZagScoop a lot more often than it did here.
TAMU

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2017, 07:57:08 AM »
The bolded isn't true. It might be true right this second, which should be expected considering Gonzaga has been pretty preoccupied during March. But prior to that, it got brought up on ZagScoop a lot more often than it did here.

And did it come up in the context of, "Can you believe that some idiots over on MUScoop think that we could move to the Big East?!"

I kid.  I kid.

Zephyr820

• Walk-On
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »
Gonzaga to the Big East talk will not stop until either:

1. Gonzaga fades to a normal mid-major
2. Big East implodes
3. Gonzaga joins the Big East

#3 might be the most likely option.

There's 0% chance of #3, so does that mean there's a negative probability for 1 and 2?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
There's 0% chance of #3, so does that mean there's a negative probability for 1 and 2?

I can confirm that the two sides have talked before.  The number is greater than 0%
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
I can confirm that the two sides have talked before.  The number is greater than 0%

keefe mentioned years ago that Gonzaga and the BE had talks when the league first started.  He knows that from the side of the Zags.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2017, 02:09:01 PM »
But, the number is still close to zero.  In any event, why does Gonzaga want or need the BE at this point.  The logistics are crazy, especially when factoring in other sports.  Don't think any league is going to take the Zags without basketball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2017, 02:16:07 PM »
But, the number is still close to zero.  In any event, why does Gonzaga want or need the BE at this point.  The logistics are crazy, especially when factoring in other sports.  Don't think any league is going to take the Zags without basketball.

There are po$$ible rea$on$ in play.

There are leagues that would take Gonzaga without basketball. They aren't good, but Gonzaga would gladly stick their other sports in the WAC or Big West or Big Sky if it mean basketball in the Big East. Unfortunately, that doesn't matter because NCAA rules prohibit basketball only membership in conferences. Only football gets to play that game. Its either all of Gonzaga's sports or none of their sports.

The money doesn't make sense right now. If the money were ever to make sense for both sides in the future, it would happen.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »

As appealing as a team of that caliber would be, I'm with Nukem here. I just don't see how it's realistic for other sports. The only way I think it might be viable is if another school came along and we went to divisions to limit travel. Even then, for everyone except Creighton, Gonzaga would be the furthest travel on their schedule.

If we could relocate Spokane to one of the Dakotas, I'd be all for it, but for non-revenue sports, that is a huge travel bill.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2017, 02:33:35 PM »

You are right.  Gonzaga doesn't need the BE at this point.  In 1979, Marquette didn't need the BE either.

But coaches retire.  Bad hires are made.  Programs slip.  San Francisco and Loyola Marymount, from that same conference, used to be powerhouses and now they are nowhere.  Gonzaga has to weigh its future interests with its immediate ones.  And I am sure it has.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2017, 02:56:15 PM »

Actually Bo turned down the job because of his wanting to vest in the WRS.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »
Actually Bo turned down the job because of his wanting to vest in the WRS.

That is a 100% accurate statement.  Which is why he took the UWM job.  Remember D3 coaches don't make all that much.  I would be surprised if he was making $100k at Platteville.