[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dick Strong Does Not Want Howland?  (Read 17014 times)

MUshrooms

• Starter
Re: Dick Strong Does Not Want Howland?
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 04:24:29 PM »
I've heard this is the hold up.  Have others heard this?

Another internet rumor started! Nice!

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 04:25:47 PM »
#dickstrong

We need to get this trending ASAP.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 04:25:59 PM »
Theoretically, could our brand new president overrule him?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »
So Dick Strong told you that Dick Strong does not like Ben Howland and you are looking here for confirmation that this is true?

Frozena works for Dick at Baraboo Captial ... It is actually Frozena that is running things threw Dick.  "Encouraging" Buzz to leave (Rob wanted him gone) and Frozena did not bless Howland.

Frozena actually runs MU basketball via Dick Strong.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »
Only if we pay him with theoretical money

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 04:27:37 PM »

Dick has the checkbook

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 04:28:16 PM »
I would have to think someone high up does not want him. What appears as obvious choice to many on here appears to be met by Resistance at MU. Have to say I thought he was logical pick it no Shaka.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »
Like I said earlier, if Ben was gonna be our next coach then he would've been hired a few days ago.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »
This is turning into a circus of epic proportions.

If we let Howland get away, whomever is responsible is an idiot.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 04:32:17 PM »
I would have to think someone high up does not want him. What appears as obvious choice to many on here appears to be met by Resistance at MU. Have to say I thought he was logical pick it no Shaka.

MU has always gone with the up and coming younger guy.  They obviously have someone or multiple people ranked above Howland on their list.  Most likely, this person is still in the tournament.  Next week will be interesting after we have 12 teams ousted from the tourney.  Perhaps the rumor mill will pick up again, come Monday.  If not, then we can assume the target is in the final four.  

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »
So, just to get things straight, there are "higher-ups" that do not like Ben Howland (who has consistently proven to be a winner and led teams to several Final Fours), and actually prefer a Brian Wardle or Cuonzo Martin (who has yet to prove to be a consistent winner/recruiter at higher levels)?

Excuse me while I go bang my face against the wall.   ::)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »
MU has always gone with the up and coming younger guy.  They obviously have someone or multiple people ranked above Howland on their list.  Most likely, this person is still in the tournament.  Next week will be interesting after we have 12 teams ousted from the tourney.  Perhaps the rumor mill will pick up again, come Monday.  If not, then we can assume the target is in the final four.  

Or the NIT!!!!

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
Re: Dick Strong Does Not Want Howland
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
Have you ever met Dick Strong????  I have.  Howland's an amateur if this is the yard stick.

Many odd stories. Legendary tales of him stopping meetings, calling in janitor to fix the tiny screws on the electrical covers so they all lined up the same way. Or the one where he interviewed an incoming manager and only talked about the guys shoes for the entire interview.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:38:07 PM by Schmidtyfactor »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »
So, just to get things straight, there are "higher-ups" that do not like Ben Howland (who has consistently proven to be a winner and led teams to several Final Fours), and actually prefer a Brian Wardle or Cuonzo Martin (who has yet to prove to be a consistent winner/recruiter at higher levels)?

Excuse me while I go bang my face against the wall.   ::)

Apparently so.  It's gonna get ugly around here pretty soon....

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 04:37:36 PM »
Many do stories. Legendary tales of him stopping meetings, calling in janitor to fix the tiny screws on the electrical covers so they all lined up the same way. Or the one where he interviewed an incoming manager and only talked about the guys shoes for the entire interview.

It would have been interesting to listen to Strong and Buzz have a conversation.  Something tells me that it would have been the most interesting conversation about shoe laces known to mankind. 

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 04:38:44 PM »
Many odd stories. Legendary tales of him stopping meetings, calling in janitor to fix the tiny screws on the electrical covers so they all lined up the same way. Or the one where he interviewed an incoming manager and only talked about the guys shoes for the entire interview.

I'd like to hear some more stories.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »
This is turning into a circus of epic proportions.

If we let Howland get away, whomever is responsible is an idiot.

Actually, it's not.

If you take a moment and step outside the batcrap insanity of Scoop, this coaching search gets no play in the public consciousness. I talked to a basketball coach last night here in Jersey and he didn't know Shaka was a possibility. People outside the fanbase rarely pay attention until a name is announced on the bottom line of a certain four letter network.

I'll tell you one circus of epic proportions people know about.......South Florida. The Bulls spent 11 days vetting and interviewing candidates only having to terminate the guy they settled on since he lied about a college degree. That's a clusterunnatural carnal knowledge.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »
Many do stories. Legendary tales of him stopping meetings, calling in janitor to fix the tiny screws on the electrical covers so they all lined up the same way. Or the one where he interviewed an incoming manager and only talked about the guys shoes for the entire interview.
yup...and not a guy who feels the need to play by the rules or cares about howland's personality...but there are no sources talking about what dick strong wants or doesn't want.  obviously something isn't perfect, but this "i have sources" crap is pathetic.  it's an easy guess that anyone who follows MU basketball can make...lots of people trying to act like their in the know, imho.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »

How does one make a billion dollars?  Answer, by zigging when everyone else zags.  By going left (or right) when the world goes right (or left).  By doing these differently and taking the risk and willing to be lonely as no one thinks it will work.

So yes they are eccentric by nature ("eccentric" because they made a billion dollars, "nuts" if they do not).  He will make more money during that interview talking about shoes than some will make in a lifetime.  So if that is how he works, and his bank account has nine zeros, how can you argue with it?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2014, 04:41:19 PM »
I think main things against Howland is ability to recruit and relate to kids, his age, UCLA mess he was part of and wanting too much money probably. No idea if Strong or anyone is anti Howland but think if they wanted him it would be done already.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 04:41:28 PM »
Respect the dick.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2014, 04:41:44 PM »

I can confirm the screws on the switch plates as I was one of the people who would turn them off horizontal to see how long it would take to be discovered.  NEVER longer than one day.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
Dick Strong should be in MU basketball Hall of Fame. He has made more happen than the two previous coaches combined.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2014, 04:43:23 PM »
Actually, it's not.

If you take a moment and step outside the batcrap insanity of Scoop, this coaching search gets no play in the public consciousness. I talked to a basketball coach last night here in Jersey and he didn't know Shaka was a possibility. People outside the fanbase rarely pay attention until a name is announced on the bottom line of a certain four letter network.

I'll tell you one circus of epic proportions people know about.......South Florida. The Bulls spent 11 days vetting and interviewing candidates only having to terminate the guy they settled on since he lied about a college degree. That's a clusterunnatural carnal knowledge.

But after Howland publicly expressing interest in MU, if we end up with one of guys mentioned, it's going to leave plenty of people thinking MU is still "just a stepping stone" program.  Howland could change that image in a heartbeat.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 04:44:32 PM »
Gooooo

Agreed on that. Cords said we are not stepping stone job and they need to hire to prove that.