[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bad Mayo  (Read 15262 times)

mattyv1908

• All American
Re: Bad Mayo
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 01:44:47 AM »
It's funny that you guys are calling this game a bad Mayo performance.  He made key baskets early, had some big assists throughout the game and a couple of aggressive turnovers late (given the fouls being called, for all we know he could have been instructed to take it to the rim by our staff).

To put in into comparison, his game tonight would be a top five career game from either of our point guards this year.  You guys are really silly.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 04:33:18 AM »
It's funny that you guys are calling this game a bad Mayo performance.  He made key baskets early, had some big assists throughout the game and a couple of aggressive turnovers late (given the fouls being called, for all we know he could have been instructed to take it to the rim by our staff).

To put in into comparison, his game tonight would be a top five career game from either of our point guards this year.  You guys are really silly.

No kidding, its how wadesworld roles.

He calls out other posters. He says they live in parents basements. He gets proven wrong.

Then contradicts everything he stands for and calls our one of the teams best players....and is wrong as usual.

Guy is an idiot. Somewhere Dwyane Wade is pissed off.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »

I think people tend to focus on the end of the game.  His two turnovers in a row at the end really almost irreversibly changed the momentum of the game.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 07:16:09 AM »
Whats actually hilarious about this thread is it was started by a guy who when I said Buzz was foolish for simply not playing Gardner more in the second half vs DePaul(1.5 games support me btw)

He asked me "what college basketball team are you coaching"

Alright, Sh it head what college basketball team are you playing on? None?

NEXT.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
Exactly. I hate a couple of certain players but I'll celebrate WINS and give props to whoever.

This is just gross.

Says the guy who is going emotionally unhinged at the coach for Davante's playing time.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 08:18:15 AM »
I actually don't think Mayo was all that bad except for a couple of bad possessions in the second half. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »
Bad Jamil showed up tonight too

Have we ever had two talented players that were more consistently inconsistent that Jamil and Todd?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 08:28:41 AM »
The last time Todd and Jamil were both this bad at the same time was the SJU game.   Being at home helped, but it was an impressive step to see the rest of the team overcome it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »
Whats actually hilarious about this thread is it was started by a guy who when I said Buzz was foolish for simply not playing Gardner more in the second half vs DePaul(1.5 games support me btw)

He asked me "what college basketball team are you coaching"

Alright, Sh it head what college basketball team are you playing on? None?

NEXT.

Again, saying "Buzz being the fool that he is..." is much different than saying "Buzz was foolish to not have played Gardner more in the 2nd half of the game..."  The first (which is exactly what you said) is calling Buzz a fool of a person.  The second is saying Buzz made a bad decision, which I would not necessarily disagree with.  If you don't want to be called out for calling someone a fool, think about what you are saying before you say it.

Can you stop crying now, 2 weeks later?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 08:45:39 AM »
No kidding, its how wadesworld roles.

He calls out other posters. He says they live in parents basements. He gets proven wrong.

Then contradicts everything he stands for and calls our one of the teams best players....and is wrong as usual.

Guy is an idiot. Somewhere Dwyane Wade is pissed off.

Aww, I made a sarcastic post in a sarcastic thread that was specifically asking what posters live in their parents basements?  Are you calling every poster out who commented in that thread, or...?   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Yes, that is how i "role."

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:48:24 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 08:47:17 AM »
Hey dude. Gardner hasn't missed tonight. Literally. Why are you charging into a crowded lane with 30 seconds left on the shot clock up 3 with 3 minutes to go when your big man has scored your team's last 9 points? Why? Just why? Absolutely inexcusable.

Absolutely inexcusable?  Really?

I'm happy to see the agression.  Everyone criticizes him for not being "the man", so he took a shot and drove the lane.  He missed the shot, we still won the game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 08:50:20 AM »
Absolutely inexcusable?  Really?

I'm happy to see the agression.  Everyone criticizes him for not being "the man", so he took a shot and drove the lane.  He missed the shot, we still won the game.

Entirely inexcusable.  Mayo has been the man on a number of occasions down the stretch this season.  If Davante hadn't scored the last 9 points for Marquette, fouled out 3 guys so far, and literally not missed a shot to that point then the shot may make more sense.  But why are we charging into the lane with tunnel vision with 30 seconds left on the shot clock given those facts?  I made a thread about this team not understanding "time and situation."  This would be another example of that.  Take away time on the shot clock, score, time left in the game, or anything that had happened up to that point in the game and the play was not a bad play.  But given time and situation, it was an inexcusable play.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 09:13:27 AM »
Know you are a Mayo lover...if you want to constantly argue that he's great and only needs more opportunities, please be sure to acknowledge when he's wasting his opportunities by playing selfish inconsistent ball.

I have been happy with Mayo's play of late, but he reverted back to his frustrating get mine game tonight. He took a few bad shots during key stretches late in the game when Gardner was owning the post and fouling every single big out of the game.

He isn't wasting opportunities...was he playing selfish ball when he rallied us back from Villanova.  Ever see D-Wade, Wesbrook, or any other slasher get stripped going to the basket, turn it over.  Todd is the one guy who will force action on the team, and can collapse a D.  Not always easy among the trees.  Todd took 4 shots last night...you want to call that "get mine," selfish, whatever.  Todd had 4 assists too. 

And yes, there is something about a defense knowing what is coming and doing what they can to shut it off....Gardner was that guy down the stretch..and GTown tried to take it away...Todd made decision to penetrate..he makes the 4' floater and doesn't get stripped on the other one...everyone is happy.

And BTW...what happened the last time we went to Gardner (who I love), he got double/tripled and missed the shot....there is such a thing as going to the well 1 too many times..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 09:14:27 AM »
If you are here defending the particular Mayo drives in this thread, you should be over defending Juan in the other thread because the situation was the exact same.

Except Mayo has a track record of being able to finish with a hoop 50% of the time, and has shown he can be effective going to the basket...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2014, 09:18:49 AM »
Except Mayo has a track record of being able to finish with a hoop 50% of the time, and has shown he can be effective going to the basket...

+1. 

Criticizing our guards for attacking the basket!  With 3 minutes left!  Oh no.  I guess Todd shouldn't touch the ball anymore with the game hanging in the balance for the final 3 minutes.  I wonder why he was even in the game if not to only pass it to Davante?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
Mayo has been nothing but a bright spot during conference play this year. I see Vander type numbers next year from him.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2014, 09:25:38 AM »

Yup.  If Mayo is driving and actually making to the basket, I'm happy.  I'll take the miss or stripped-once-in-a-while for some aggressive baskets.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 09:31:41 AM »
Mayo has been nothing but a bright spot during conference play this year. I see Vander type numbers next year from him.

Your dreaming, does not have enough quickness, so he really has to be open to score and his range is not that good.  He is average at best.  Yesterday he had a 10 foot airball.  He is old for
his age, do not see that much improvement.  Vander was much quicker and much better in the open court. like the ability to dunk the ball, had a great left hand as well going to the hoop, Todd
not even close.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »
Your dreaming, does not have enough quickness, so he really has to be open to score and his range is not that good.  He is average at best.  Yesterday he had a 10 foot airball.  He is old for
his age, do not see that much improvement.  Vander was much quicker and much better in the open court. like the ability to dunk the ball, had a great left hand as well going to the hoop, Todd
not even close.

Again though, Vander was always talented but all it took was one offseason for the switch to turn on. I am not dreaming. Mayo will be averaging 16 a game next year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2014, 09:40:13 AM »
The only thing Todd does better than Vander is shoot the ball from deep.  They are equal in some areas, but Vander is better in most.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »
Again though, Vander was always talented but all it took was one offseason for the switch to turn on. I am not dreaming. Mayo will be averaging 16 a game next year.

Time will tell, but he does nothing special.  I can see maybe 12 next year, not 16.  Then again I am not sure how they score points next year.  Deonte Burton might be there leading scorer next year.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »
Your dreaming, does not have enough quickness, so he really has to be open to score and his range is not that good.  He is average at best.  Yesterday he had a 10 foot airball.  He is old for
his age, do not see that much improvement.  Vander was much quicker and much better in the open court. like the ability to dunk the ball, had a great left hand as well going to the hoop, Todd
not even close.

I totally disagree. Todd Mayo has a silky smooth drive and finish with his left hand. In fact, I think that's one of the most impressive parts of his game and it definitely rivals Blues'. I think your comment is based on large part on Blues' finish against Davidson last year, which was amazing, but I truly think Mayo is just as capable of that finish.

That aside, no question, Blue was more explosive and better in open court. But Mayo does have a lot of similar value to Blue, just not quite as much.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2014, 09:47:19 AM »
The only thing Todd does better than Vander is shoot the ball from deep.  They are equal in some areas, but Vander is better in most.
This is beautifully concise.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2014, 09:48:43 AM »
not even close.

Well...he really isn't dreaming, because if you look at per 40...Mayo this year is better than Blue in virtually every measurable category...one big difference..Todd gets to the FT line at twice the rate Vander did.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=todd-mayo&i=1&p1=vander-blue

I'd agree Vander is a better overall athlete, is a longer player - wingspan and height - not sure about a better first step.  Vander was really good in transition last year....sadly, we don't really have a transition game this year...AT ALL.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2014, 09:49:44 AM »
I totally disagree. Todd Mayo has a silky smooth drive and finish with his left hand. In fact, I think that's one of the most impressive parts of his game and it definitely rivals Blues'. I think your comment is based on large part on Blues' finish against Davidson last year, which was amazing, but I truly think Mayo is just as capable of that finish.

That aside, no question, Blue was more explosive and better in open court. But Mayo does have a lot of similar value to Blue, just not quite as much.

You must be drinking the same kool-aid on Todd, I sure do not see it.  16 a game next year, no chance.

feedback