'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Out of bounds  (Read 2092 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Out of bounds
« on: March 15, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »
I've noticed our difficulties with OOB plays, particularly in end-of game situations, which seemed to have increased over the last year or two. The last couple of games sort of highlighted this problem. At PC we wound up with the ball in the hands of our walk-on, who promptly got himself tied up because he couldn't get rid of it. The next game vs. St. John's I noticed Buzz still drawing on his half-court greaseboard as the huddle was breaking up - he was walking out onto the floor with the guys, still drawing. We wind up with two guys in the same place, messing up the play. I read somewhere that kids only remember what the coach tells them in the last five seconds of a TO. Recently I saw a show about Geno Auriemma - they had one of his players who had graduated describing his teaching technique in practice. He would have his team repeat and repeat a play - not until they got it right, but until they got to the point where they couldn't get it wrong!
Wouldn't it make sense to drill several plays for man-to-man or zone into a team to avoid such screw-ups? It seems like 40 minutes (or more) of hard work gets pissed away with these plays that seem to get invented during the TO.

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: Out of bounds
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 03:09:29 PM »
I take it you are over 50

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
And then some.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 04:04:20 PM »
Perhaps you can be Buzz's new "special teams" coach.  Not sure what his method of teaching for these plays involves, but out of bounds and end of clock plays are supposedly a focus point in practices, yet continue to be a weak spot throughout his tenure.  Getting Mayo an open look last game was a rare exception where the players were actually able to grasp and execute the play, even if the shot was missed.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
I've noticed our difficulties with OOB plays, particularly in end-of game situations, which seemed to have increased over the last year or two. The last couple of games sort of highlighted this problem. At PC we wound up with the ball in the hands of our walk-on, who promptly got himself tied up because he couldn't get rid of it. The next game vs. St. John's I noticed Buzz still drawing on his half-court greaseboard as the huddle was breaking up - he was walking out onto the floor with the guys, still drawing. We wind up with two guys in the same place, messing up the play. I read somewhere that kids only remember what the coach tells them in the last five seconds of a TO. Recently I saw a show about Geno Auriemma - they had one of his players who had graduated describing his teaching technique in practice. He would have his team repeat and repeat a play - not until they got it right, but until they got to the point where they couldn't get it wrong!
Wouldn't it make sense to drill several plays for man-to-man or zone into a team to avoid such screw-ups? It seems like 40 minutes (or more) of hard work gets pissed away with these plays that seem to get invented during the TO.

I don't know the reason, but I notice that your time frame coincides with the complete turnover of Buzz's assistants two years ago.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 08:41:23 AM »
I think you are giving too much credit to Buzz and his 'designing' of plays.  The majority of the inbounds play under our own basket are ONE play.  Its the 4 across wheel play that my 4th graders run.  Jake sets up on the weakside and takes 2-3 seconds to come over the top to the ball on the 3 point wing.  If not open--which is alot of the time--then the safety valve bleeds to the backcourt.  The play is juvenile at best. 
I am amazed with Buzz' attention to detail and emphasis on possessions that this play is considered acceptable.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:17:32 AM »
I've watched the end of several games the last few days. Most of the time, the three best free-throw shooters were the three most involved on this kind of  inbound pass. One would be the inbounder, the other two would be the preferred targets.

If whomever received the pass -- including one of the other two non-preferred targets -- got the ball and got in trouble, he would quickly pass back to the inbounder, who was ALWAYS open. Since the inbounder was a good FT shooter, this was a fine tactic.

The biggest mistake Buzz made was having Derrick not only in the game but in such a key position. The fact Derrick isn't tall wasn't that big a deal because the ability to run the baseline negates most of that disadvantage. Many of the successful plays I witnessed these last few days had a 6-foot-ish PG as the inbounder.

Now, maybe even if we had a good shooter inbounding the ball it wouldn't have made a difference, because Jake almost immediately went into the "turtle" instead of making a strong move with the ball to force the foul. I'm not the biggest Jake fan but, in Buzz's defense, Jake is one of our better FT shooters and he couldn't have assumed Jake, a fifth-year senior, would panic there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson