[Today at 01:29:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:47:04 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka fails.his first test.  (Read 13820 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Shaka fails.his first test.
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2022, 11:40:37 AM »
Lol. That is something they practice but not a straight-forward, somewhat guarded three point shot?

Your defense of this is getting weaker by the post.

Unless practices are only three minutes long, a team can practice both.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2022, 11:48:48 AM »
Shaka is going to make more poor in-game decisions.  All coaches do.  And some will lead us to conclude that cost Marquette the game.  I’m willing to bet, in the long-run, his good decisions will far outweigh his bad decisions during games. 

Yesterday was a bad decision.  I don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other but felt given the comeback by the team yesterday, he should have fouled there up 3. 

If you’ve given up on the process already, there’s the door.  My hunch is, the anger vented yesterday and this morning means you haven’t given up on the process.  Relax and have a grape soda.  This team overachieved early and have regressed to the mean.  But I wouldn’t throw away the process over tough results. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2022, 12:33:17 PM »
Shaka is going to make more poor in-game decisions.  All coaches do.  And some will lead us to conclude that cost Marquette the game.  I’m willing to bet, in the long-run, his good decisions will far outweigh his bad decisions during games. 

Yesterday was a bad decision.  I don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other but felt given the comeback by the team yesterday, he should have fouled there up 3. 

If you’ve given up on the process already, there’s the door.  My hunch is, the anger vented yesterday and this morning means you haven’t given up on the process.  Relax and have a grape soda.  This team overachieved early and have regressed to the mean.  But I wouldn’t throw away the process over tough results.

You're right about all that, Unk. So much had to go right for this team to be any good this season. We got some breaks early when Illinois and K-State were missing their best players and when West Virginia fell apart and when Darryl Morsell looked more like DeMar DeRosan than a guy who averaged 9 points over 4 seasons at Maryland. Heck, we got some breaks -- and needed 'em -- to beat effen New Hampshire.

Now we're not winning close games against good teams who have experience and/or go-to guys, as we have neither.

Shaka inherited precious little, especially after Garcia and Carton left. My thing going in was, "Will we see progress over the course of the season and beyond?" Well, we're already seeing significant progress with Oso, and with the team fighting and clawing in every game. And then, of course, we need to see some big-time recruiting taking place; that's supposed to be Shaka's calling card.

Like every coach, Shaka isn't and shouldn't be immune from criticism. In-game decisions, seemingly poor preparation, making excuses, not good enough recruiting, whatever, have at it. But those who have already given up on Shaka's vision for the program, or those who were against him before he ever ran a practice ... what the eff? Why even bother being a fan if it makes you so miserable?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2022, 12:36:00 PM »
It’s a pick your poison. I just like to play defense knowing your opponent has to take a deep three.
Or you play defense and your opponent gets a great look (not a deep three) from a good shooter and you eventually lose.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2022, 12:50:45 PM »
I hope all you "regress to the mean" guys never go to Vegas. "It's been 10 reds in a row - black is due!"
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2022, 12:59:33 PM »
I hope all you "regress to the mean" guys never go to Vegas. "It's been 10 reds in a row - black is due!"

The top 3 players by minutes have offensive ratings of 95.7, 100.1 and 83.

The team is 86th in KenPom with the 118th offense and 68th defense.  This isn’t a tourney team. 

The rest of this season for me is about Oso, Tyler, OMax and Stevie.  I also want to see Justin become more efficient.

I never expected this team to play in March and as fun as November was, it wasn’t real

OffTheGlass

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2022, 01:04:50 PM »

I don't think anyone is leaving or should be shown the door. Where did anyone give up on the process other than having a healthy conversation about his decision yesterday. People can be passionate and offer their take of the game as that is probably 90% of the posts on post-game threads.

Those who have season tickets and don't show up should be shown the door. What the heck was that yesterday? New Year's Day game at 11...really? I couldn't believe the no-shows...ridiculous!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2022, 01:18:41 PM »
I don't think anyone is leaving or should be shown the door. Where did anyone give up on the process other than having a healthy conversation about his decision yesterday. People can be passionate and offer their take of the game as that is probably 90% of the posts on post-game threads.

Those who have season tickets and don't show up should be shown the door. What the heck was that yesterday? New Year's Day game at 11...really? I couldn't believe the no-shows...ridiculous!

Yeah God forbid people have other things to do during the Holidays!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2022, 01:58:07 PM »
If you assume MU goes 0-8 against the top 4 teams  Nova, UConn, Seton Hall and Xavier and 5-1 against the bottom 3 teams De Paul, Butler and Georgetown that makes MU 5-9 with providence,  St .John and Creighton left to split. 4-2 makes MU 9-11.  I'd settle for that if the team grows through the season.  This team could be better than that  if Lewis, Igadoro and Omax  can figure out how to each have good games at the same time.  chemistry takes time.  Take a breath and enjoy watching kids frow up.  There is a lot of season left to grow.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2022, 02:03:18 PM »

Yep.
It's weird how the mildest of criticisms are often met here with nonsense like "Stop being a fan," "there's the door" or "well, I guess Shaka should go to jail then."

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2022, 02:08:47 PM »
Yep.
It's weird how the mildest of criticisms are often met here with nonsense like "Stop being a fan," "there's the door" or "well, I guess Shaka should go to jail then."

That’s why I said my hunch was yesterday was just frustration being vented and people really weren’t done with Shaka, except Willie

Goose

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2022, 02:09:06 PM »
Pakuni

My only issue on the overall criticism is that most on here had very low expectations. Based off of the first 14 I would think most would be happy with the performance thus far. If we are worse than most on here expected I am missing something. I never thought we would be world beaters and believed that with an experienced coach we have enough talent to compete in almost every game. In addition, I thought Shaka was worth an extra 4-5 wins this season, mainly due to the guys buying in. For the record, I still feel the same way.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2022, 02:31:34 PM »
Pakuni

My only issue on the overall criticism is that most on here had very low expectations. Based off of the first 14 I would think most would be happy with the performance thus far. If we are worse than most on here expected I am missing something. I never thought we would be world beaters and believed that with an experienced coach we have enough talent to compete in almost every game. In addition, I thought Shaka was worth an extra 4-5 wins this season, mainly due to the guys buying in. For the record, I still feel the same way.

I think Shaka is the right guy but not this years team. We probably already booked half the extra wins you referred too.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2022, 04:42:14 PM »
With 2.7 seconds left, I think you should foul. I would not like fouling with 5 seconds or more to go.
Assuming the fouled team makes two free throws they have enough time to foul on inbounds to make you have to make two free throws.

The other thing to consider is whether you are at home or away. The home team should have an advantage in overtime.

Wojo got crucified for not fouling with the team up three. He lost on a much more difficult three than the one last night.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2022, 04:43:38 PM »
I don’t think anyone is giving up on Shakas vision or the team.

I just think that people are disappointed after a pretty good start.

You can call it overachieving early, which it was, and say that all Marquettes reach equilibrium, which they almost always do.

However, if you asked me before the season if I thought MU would beat Creighton at home I would have said yes. At the very least I would have expected a split in these two home games versus CU and Providence.

Don’t forget that yesterdays game was very ugly for large stretches, MU was down big at home. That ain’t good for a team they should be able to beat at home.

Now, the defensive intensity and the fight in the second half was fantastic, and that’s great. A win woulda bailed out the overall poor performance, but there was no win. So if anything, the last comeback masked some very poor early play.

We all want to see the team improve. December was a brutal stretch, but I haven’t quite seen the improvement I was expecting so far.

A lot of ball to play and I’m definitely not giving up on Shaka or the process, I’m just unfortunately starting to realize that this seasons post season hopes are fading fast

Viper

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2022, 05:28:45 PM »

I actually agree with FBM. People have holiday obligations, and let’s face it, an 11am New Years Day game blows.  Not to mention, MU isn’t exactly must-see right now.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2022, 07:37:21 PM »
That’s why I said my hunch was yesterday was just frustration being vented and people really weren’t done with Shaka, except Willie
Once again Rico as in most of your posts you don't know what you are snorting
 I am not done with Shaka
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2022, 11:51:18 PM »
I won't debate foul or no-foul in that situation.  Fouling on the catch is clearly the right call.

But, IF you do choose not to foul - WHY THE HELL are 3 of our 5 defenders INSIDE the 3 point line.  We need 5 guys on the 3 point line or deeper.  If they throw it inside the arc - Great!  We win!

2 huge blunders - both on Shaka.  Wojo never learned, I hope Shaka will.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2022, 10:39:46 AM »
People have holiday obligations, and let’s face it, an 11am New Years Day game blows.  Not to mention, MU isn’t exactly must-see right now.
People up late on NYE.
Some were just out of town.
Rose Parade was back.
Bowl games.
Snowstorm.

These were all things I heard from people. Stuff happens.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2022, 11:45:04 AM »
People up late on NYE.
Some were just out of town.
Rose Parade was back.
Bowl games.
Snowstorm.

These were all things I heard from people. Stuff happens.

I doubt Bowl games and the Rose Parade with distractions, but the others I definitely agree with, especially the early start on NYD. Oh, and the fear or COVID may have played a small factor.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2022, 01:23:22 PM »
There's also actual COVID. I know of half a dozen people who would have gone to the game but either had COVID themselves or were in quarantine due to close contact. Lots of family gatherings in the last week.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2022, 01:44:47 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how this was Shaka's "first test."

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2022, 02:00:21 PM »
I doubt Bowl games and the Rose Parade with distractions, but the others I definitely agree with, especially the early start on NYD. Oh, and the fear or COVID may have played a small factor.

Nothing to doubt. As I said, all things I listed is what I heard from people who did not go or gave their tickets away. Yes, bowl games and the Rose Parade were things I heard. I'm one of those as well. I did go to the MU game, but left early to go home and watch bowl games.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 02:06:13 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2022, 02:18:48 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how this was Shaka's "first test."

Maybe this wasn't his first test, but the first he failed after passing the tests of Illinois, Ole Miss, and West Virginia.

Though I'd say we should've pulled out UConn as well, maybe Xavier too.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2022, 02:52:02 PM »
Maybe this wasn't his first test, but the first he failed after passing the tests of Illinois, Ole Miss, and West Virginia.

Though I'd say we should've pulled out UConn as well, maybe Xavier too.

So ... not his first test, and perhaps not even the first he "failed."

As fans, we always count the games we "shoulda" won but rarely count the ones we "shoulda" lost. I tend to think that if we shoulda won, we woulda won unless the circumstance is crazy -- like when we pulled that one out at Creighton in 2019. We had no business winning that one.

Maybe some folks think this one falls into a similar category, but I don't know. We were down 17 and had lots of chances to lose it (and win it) long before O'Connell ever rose for that 3.

feedback