[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by Nutty
[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Up 3 end of game....FOUL!!!  (Read 10719 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Up 3 end of game....FOUL!!!
« on: January 07, 2020, 09:36:21 PM »
Been saying this for years and not changing now.  Still believe that is the right play and hate when coaches let one shot tie a game.  I know this is a split decision on this, but the math never made sense to me.

Allow one shot to tie a game....OR....require someone to make one shot, miss one shot, get rebound and make a shot.

I don’t care who the coach is, I am fouling every time and have never wavered on this.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Up 3 end of game....FOUL!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 09:36:43 PM »
And #FTSMatter
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »
Been saying this for years and not changing now.  Still believe that is the right play and hate when coaches let one shot tie a game.  I know this is a split decision on this, but the math never made sense to me.

Allow one shot to tie a game....OR....require someone to make one shot, miss one shot, get rebound and make a shot.

I don’t care who the coach is, I am fouling every time and have never wavered on this.

Especially once they cross half court.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 09:42:18 PM »
And #FTSMatter

Providence was worse from the line than us

PS- disagree on fouling up 3. It depends.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 09:43:31 PM »
Was way too much time left to foul in that situation. Kid hit a tough 3.  It happens.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 09:44:54 PM »
Was way too much time left to foul in that situation. Kid hit a tough 3.  It happens.

Didn't he shoot with like 4 seconds left?

Why not foul at 6-8 seconds?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 09:45:46 PM »

Agreed. A Close friend who is a Power 5 HC said he was taught and always follows that you foul up 3 with 6 seconds or less. As he said, 4 things have to go right for the trailing team:

1. Make the first FT
2. Miss the second
3. Get the rebound
4. Make the shot

In nearly every case that means you go to OT at the worst. However, one time 1-4 all happened and the shooter was fouled and made the FT to win. He still fouls.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 09:45:50 PM »
Look at the video. Koby's guy was 35 feet away with 7 seconds. Could have fouled right at that point.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 09:48:19 PM »

4 seconds after the ball went in so he shot it with about 6 seconds. I’m a foul up 3 guy but was ok with them not fouling in that particular situation.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 09:50:47 PM »
Then you’re not a foul up 3 guy if you were okay with them not fouling

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 09:54:29 PM »

For tonight at least, I definitely agree with you. And the way some teams shoot fts, I'd say it's getting to be a better proposition every year.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 10:09:03 PM »
Unless it's a hard, maybe flagrant foul, there is always a chance that he hits the shot anyway. Then what?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 10:11:08 PM »
Well, Providence fouled with four seconds to go on Bailey's trey. That almost backfired as he got three free throws (and the ball could have gone in).

So there's that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 10:15:41 PM »
Well, Providence fouled with four seconds to go on Bailey's trey. That almost backfired as he got three free throws (and the ball could have gone in).

So there's that.

C'mon, Doc. Two very different types of fouls.

Then again, based on them not knowing the situation at the end of OT, maybe I shouldn't trust these dopes not to foul a shooter.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 10:16:49 PM »

So there's that.

Because they fouled too late. You foul as soon as the offensive player crosses center court and before they can get in a shooting position.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2020, 10:19:41 PM »
C'mon, Doc. Two very different types of fouls.

Then again, based on them not knowing the situation at the end of OT, maybe I shouldn't trust these dopes not to foul a shooter.

Well, it was dumb and I am sure it's wasn't intentional but it shows crazy stuff can happen. Wojo has said in the past he thinks teams should play it out. This why JayBee was saying in that it is not so clear cut.

Personally, I think you foul.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2020, 10:22:52 PM »
It was also off a timeout.  In when to foul could have been drawn up in the huddle.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2020, 10:23:05 PM »

No. It went through the hoop with 4 seconds left. He shot it with approx 6 seconds left. To be safe (to not foul in the act of a 3) we would have had to foul with 8 seconds left. That is too soon. Just about every coach I’ve ever heard of agrees.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 10:31:02 PM »
No. It went through the hoop with 4 seconds left. He shot it with approx 6 seconds left. To be safe (to not foul in the act of a 3) we would have had to foul with 8 seconds left. That is too soon. Just about every coach I’ve ever heard of agrees.

Why is that 8 seconds too much? You just get the ball back, the clock ticks down a little bit, and it's that much harder for the trailing team to get a decent shot off when they get the ball back after you shoot FTs.

The coaching consensus you mentioned seems to be similar to the NFL views on PATs - erring on the side of caution.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 10:34:26 PM »
Of course MU should have fouled. They had the possession arrow, it was a no brainer to make that decision.

Foul up 3, after the first make, commit a blatant lane violation on the second attempt. Keep committing a lane violation every attempt thereafter until the free throw is made or Providence simultaneously commits a lane violation as well (arrow to MU).

I have no idea why teams don’t do this every time.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 10:45:29 PM »
Of course MU should have fouled. They had the possession arrow, it was a no brainer to make that decision.

Foul up 3, after the first make, commit a blatant lane violation on the second attempt. Keep committing a lane violation every attempt thereafter until the free throw is made or Providence simultaneously commits a lane violation as well (arrow to MU).

I have no idea why teams don’t do this every time.

Here's an article by former Providence (what a coincidence!) assistant coach Bob Walsh about that exact strategy:

http://coachbobwalsh.com/2015/03/24/the-intentional-violation/
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 11:12:38 PM »
Less than 6 seconds you foul.  Calipari doesn't like to foul. Coach K will.

Ken Pomeroy says data mixed. 

Cooley made same play with his team at end of OT and it almost burned them, too.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 07:24:04 AM »

And fouls him while he was shooting?  Agree with Ners. No foul.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 07:29:39 AM »

Obviously not. Foul the dribbler when they cross half court.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 07:35:06 AM »

Koby's guy was 35 feet away from the basket with 7 seconds left. Should have reached in for the steal and get that foul called.
-Bill Walton