[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: US - Mexico Soccer Game  (Read 4714 times)

JD

• All American
US - Mexico Soccer Game
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:55:46 PM »
Anybody plan on cheering the US to victory at the local drinking establishments?

Ole' Ole' Ole' Ole'
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: US - Mexico Soccer Game
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
I will be rooting them on from FL.  Also, the money line is surprisingly low right, -127.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

chren21

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 08:02:07 PM »
We need to changesomething up in the second half....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:48 PM »
Soccer?  hairy wet cats.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
Soccer could really benefit if they played games that meant something.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 09:10:06 PM »
Nice win for the Yanks, Tim Howard is unreal.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »
Nice win for the Yanks, Tim Howard is unreal.

Fantastic.  Huge confidence builder. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »
Fantastic.  Huge confidence builder. 

Just like the confidence booster they got by winning their group in the last World Cup...and then proceeded to suck complete ass and do nothing other than embarrass themselves until tonight. This game will do nothing for US soccer in the long hall.

And what real professional sport has games that end in ties? C'mon.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

chren21

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 09:25:07 PM »
If you don't like it.  Don't watch it.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:30:52 PM »
Just like the confidence booster they got by winning their group in the last World Cup...and then proceeded to suck complete ass and do nothing other than embarrass themselves until tonight. This game will do nothing for US soccer in the long hall.

The NFL does (well as long as you don't ask McNabb). That sport seems to be doing ok.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 10:22:08 PM »
"Nothing but embarrass themselves since the WC?"
You're joking right?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 11:56:41 PM »
They had a rough time adjusting to Klinsmann's style but they have been much better this year compared to last.  Don't forget about their win at Italy in February.  It's not hard for any fan to see they've improved immensely in the last 10 years.  It takes decades to gain interest in the sport and to develop talent and they are headed in the right direction.  It's not like they can just sign a couple players and make a few trades, there is no quick fix.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 08:09:33 AM »
Huge historic win.  Fair play to you, US men's team!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 08:19:48 AM »

I have never understood the need for people to come on a thread about a topic that people care about...and bash the subject matter.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
Exactly. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »
Rope-a-dope in the first half, just enough offense in the second half thanks to some timely subs, and great goaltending.     Underline great goaltending. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 08:41:17 AM »
Chicharito(sic) could have easily had a hat trick in the span of about 15 min.

Howard was huge in net.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 09:12:27 AM »

It's okay to avoid the topic when the only comments you can make regarding it are stupid. So coming from behind to draw Mexico in Klinsy's first game was embarrassing? And winning at Italy was doing nothing but embarrassing themselves? Winning another game in Europe at Slovenia was embarrassing? The absolute destruction of Scotland was embarrassing for us? You don't like and don't follow the sport. Fine. No need to troll it like some sad-sack UW fan who still can't believe Jordan Taylor didn't get drafted.

In my opinion, that was the 4th biggest win for the USA since the 2002 World Cup, following the win over Algeria in 2010, Spain in 2009, and coming from behind to beat Mexico in the 2007 Gold Cup Final. Though I'm not really sure what to make of it. The makeshift backline worked very well. Cameron put on a man-of-the-match performance and Edu was solid enough that he should have a new European contract soon. But the attacking half of our midfield was pretty poor. No ability to hold the ball and never able to take the game to the Mexicans. Despite the win, they were clearly the better side, and it was mostly the combination of heroics from Cameron and Howard as well as poor finishing by Mexico that gifted us the win.

At halftime, I said I was glad it was still 0-0 and that we didn't have a lead, because I think we'd have lost the game if we had been up 1-0 at that point. The perceived gap right now is very real. Mexico is the better side and certainly has the brighter future over the next 4-8 years. What we still need is one legitimate goal-scoring forward and central and attacking mids that can hold the ball. I don't have much hope for the former, but maybe Brek Shea can become one of the latter (though he needs consistency).

We still have a long way to go, but despite being dominated, we still beat Mexico at the Azteca, something no team had done in 5 years and only 8 teams had ever done before last night. That was a huge win, and hopefully can serve as a springboard to romping the group the rest of the way and qualifying comfortably for 2014.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 09:46:38 AM »
Rope-a-dope in the first half, just enough offense in the second half thanks to some timely subs, and great goaltending.     Underline great goaltending. 

I prefer to call it "other-worldly goaltending."

Those two key saves plus the way he covered the net on some of those close-range free kicks... I love how the announcers on one were at first like "Howard looked beat on that one," but when they watched the replay of the ball sailing wide, they said "nope... he had it well covered."

No wonder why the coach was smiling the way he was after that last goal-line save.
Relax. Respect the Process.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
Cameron deserves the credit as much as Howard. If not for him, there would have been need for a lot more heroics from Tim.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 10:14:27 AM »
Any win over Mexico is huge. especially if you have watched or sat enduring a  game in the U.S. where the majority of the 80,000 "fans"  jeered and whistled during our national anthem and cheered for the Mexican side.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »
"Nothing but embarrass themselves since the WC?"
You're joking right?

No, I'm not. They won a "friendly" (aka, exhibition, aka meaningless game) over the 18th ranked team in the world last night. They're ranked 36th in the world behind the likes of world soccer powerhouse Bosnia. They failed to qualify for the Olympics. USA men's soccer is and will continue to be a joke.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 12:00:03 PM »
No, I'm not. They won a "friendly" (aka, exhibition, aka meaningless game) over the 18th ranked team in the world last night. They're ranked 36th in the world behind the likes of world soccer powerhouse Bosnia. They failed to qualify for the Olympics. USA men's soccer is and will continue to be a joke.

Yet you conveniently leave out wins at Italy, at Slovenia, at Panama, Venezuela, and Scotland. The USMNT is 6-2-1 since the start of the year. Hardly a joke.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »
Du**k . 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »
What is a "friendly" the equivalent to in other sports? I don't mean this sarcastically or anything. I'm not a soccer fan so I'm genuinely curious. Is it like a big non-conference game for Marquette bball? Is it like a regular season NFL game?