[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette University honors ’70s cop-killer Assata Shakur with mural  (Read 110751 times)

Warrior2008

• Starter
The administration got this right, the mural is gone and the person responsible was fired.  Lets all move on.

jsglow

• All American
I agree, diversity of thought and ideas should be the goal of any University. Unfortunately, I don't see it especially for those of us with more traditional views. What is even more troubling to me is that many Departments hire people who think like they do to further their academic agenda. To me that is indoctrination and not education where opposing thought and ideas should be civilly debated. My daughter gave me this book as an early Father Day's gift. Interesting read.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Silencing-Left-Killing-Speech/dp/1621573702

Perfect.  I know Powers is someone I disagree with politically.  But I enjoy her on TV and sincerely believe I could have an interesting and intelligent discussion with her.  I can envision her book as a good read.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Gotta laugh at those who think McAdams should have gone quietly to the same administration that is trying to fire him and report the mural to save them from this humiliation.  With the way MU has harassed him throughout the years, that was never an option.

BTW, McAdams job situation will remain in limbo until the fall when hearings resume.  He most certainly has not been officially "fired" yet.  

It's a hell of a trick for McAdams to nail himself to the cross and then be pissed that it was very uncomfortable on said cross
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
I agree, diversity of thought and ideas should be the goal of any University. Unfortunately, I don't see it especially for those of us with more traditional views. What is even more troubling to me is that many Departments hire people who think like they do to further their academic agenda. To me that is indoctrination and not education where opposing thought and ideas should be civilly debated. My daughter gave me this book as an early Father Day's gift. Interesting read.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Silencing-Left-Killing-Speech/dp/1621573702

While I'm sure that book was written by a completely impartial author who doesn't have an agenda at all, couldn't you make an argument that the opposite is happening at schools like liberty U, WI Lutheran, Wheaton college etc.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Badgerhater

• All American
While cutting these organizations for cost is another topic, they do need to act on the bold (and hopefully are now).  They need to know how their resources are being utilized.  Not noticing this for seven weeks because they let a group operate in an obscure location of the AMU is poor oversight.

These organizations only exist because of the money sloshing around universities.   Focus the budget on the top two missions of Marquette (academics and basketball  ;)) and see these antics disappear.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Just began and ended my reading of this thread on this one. I don't think I can meet Heisenberg halfway to even understand what the hell he is talking about. It seems to contain a lot of Fox News buzzwords like "Radicalize," but as a conservative voter I still have no effing idea what the hell you are talking about.

Truly pissing in the wind.

So you did not read the post put up 61 seconds before you wrote this.  Because it perfectly explained my comment.

jsglow

• All American
It's a hell of a trick for McAdams to nail himself to the cross and then be pissed that it was very uncomfortable on said cross

Not bad engineer, not bad.

Badgerhater

• All American
While I'm sure that book was written by a completely impartial author who doesn't have an agenda at all, couldn't you make an argument that the opposite is happening at schools like liberty U, WI Lutheran, Wheaton college etc.

Why don't you read it and get back to us regarding its bias.

GGGG

• All American
A very basic background search could find if she supported, say, a terrorist on the FBI's most wanted list.

I would start by excluding people who cheer lead for the FBI's most wanted.

How do you know that?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Perfect.  I know Powers is someone I disagree with politically.  But I enjoy her on TV and sincerely believe I could have an interesting and intelligent discussion with her.  I can envision her book as a good read.

yes-looking forward to reading this book and despite my inherent racism i would love to have a root beer with both her and juan williams
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
Let me try to answer that as best as I can.  I think it's fair to question the Center which was certainly initially set up in response to the O'Brien misstep where an incomplete vetting into her writings ultimately resulted in Fr. Wild personally nixing her hire.

The offer was rescinded because the local archdiocese got involved.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/93533724.html

O'Brien is a full tenured Professor at another Jesuit university.  A school actually named her into a fully endowed professor position.  The quality of her research should never have been called into question.

That entire incident should have been much more embarrassing to the institution than this one.

muwarrior69

• All American

Absolutely, but they are few in comparison and you know if you attend one of those schools what kind of "education/indoctrination" your getting. My point is that real discussion on many subjects no longer take place in the classroom, especially if your view runs counter to your professor or TA.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Why don't you read it and get back to us regarding its bias.

Ok, read the title then tell me if that in any way mentions the absurdly conservative schools that still teach pray the gay away and shut down any form of self expression. To me the lack of mention of those places would show its bias.
Maigh Eo for Sam

drewm88

• All American
Absolutely, but they are few in comparison and you know if you attend one of those schools what kind of "education/indoctrination" your getting. My point is that real discussion on many subjects no longer take place in the classroom, especially if your view runs counter to your professor or TA.

Do you have a basis for this claim?

Galway Eagle

• All American

And I think that you see what you want to. You want to believe that is happening pretty much only on the left stifling the right so you see it everywhere and believe it's true. I can think of at least three classes at Marquette where I felt like my viewpoint wasn't welcome at all and being stifled. But you don't see me writing a book saying how the right is stifling the left's opinions in education.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Badgerhater

• All American
Ok, read the title then tell me if that in any way mentions the absurdly conservative schools that still teach pray the gay away and shut down any form of self expression. To me the lack of mention of those places would show its bias.

Do you even know who Kirsten Powers is?

And of the thousands of colleges and universities in this country, you think the one the Dale Layer coached at plus a handful more are anything more than an anecdote?

But how would you know?  You haven't read the book.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Do you even know who Kirsten Powers is?

And of the thousands of colleges and universities in this country, you think the one the Dale Layer coached at plus a handful more are anything more than an anecdote?

But how would you know?  You haven't read the book.

Nope. I know she's been on fox so I just assume because well... it's fox. Looked her up on wikedia apparently I was wrong about her. Surprised she was on fox.

My point there's plenty of examples of crazy right stifling the left.

Have you read the book? Or are you just pointing out that I haven't read the book? My original post was assuming anything muwarrior69 would post would be a load of far right propaganda. Then I Literally judged a book by its cover. My bad. Happy or you want to continue going back and forth to make this thread longer?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
Nope. I know she's been on fox so I just assume because well... it's fox. Looked her up on wikedia apparently I was wrong about her. Surprised she was on fox.

Have you read the book? Or are you just pointing out that I haven't read the book? My original post was assuming anything muwarrior69 would post would be a load of far right propaganda. Then I Literally judged a book by its cover. My bad. Happy or you want to continue going back and forth to make this thread longer?

At what age do adults become so reactionary and convinced that anyone appearing on Fox News has to be some right-wing nut job?  I'm just curious so that I can prepare myself.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
At what age do adults become so reactionary and convinced that anyone appearing on Fox News has to be some right-wing nut job?  I'm just curious so that I can prepare myself.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

buckchuckler

• All American
Tower we're going to have to talk.  The wife and I are fans of Great Big Sea also.  We got introduced by now friends from Ontario.  (There's a lengthy story behind this.) 
I've seen them live a few times including a spirited Canada Day performance in Central Park.

Count me in the GBS fan club.  They are just spectacular live.  It was a sad day when Sean left. 

Galway Eagle

• All American

I fully expect my name in the sources cited section in APA format for this quote
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American

I am sure there are. They should not stifle discussion, but enlighten.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Just because you aren't into dudes doesn't necessarily mean that you don't want them to be into you.

In addition to the glorious "at what age?" play on this thread, how does the above double entendre not get proper recognition?  Beautifully done, intentional or not.

On the topic, this thread is people's exhibit 'A' for how we've become a society that is reactionary and polarizing.  Let's make a HUGE deal out of every miss step regardless of the situation!  Sultan has the most rational perspective on this IMHO.  Deep breaths everyone, deep breaths.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Scoop is 100% traditional.

4never is an exception, a:ina.

Warriorfish

• Scholarship Player
From RightWisconsin.com...

By Charlie Sykes
The (Increasingly) Strange World of Marquette University
Published: 5:32 AM May 21, 2015

Who could possibly have seen this coming?

Well, pretty much anyone who had been paying attention to what was happening at the school in the early days of Mike Lovell’s tenure as MU’s first lay president. In fact, one of our lawyer friends rather presciently sent me an email back in early March:

Please take a quick gander at the attached CV. This is the office that is likely spearheading the attack on Prof. McAdams at MU. This doc is online, so I'm not sharing anything privileged.

Can you imagine ponying up $40k/year to a university that would employ this individual?

Attached was the resume of Susannah Bartlow, the director of the Gender and sexuality Resource Center – the inclusion-ocrat who was responsible for the now infamous cop-killer mural.  It was a revealing document:

RESEARCH INTERESTS

Racial justice within women’s and gender studies

Anti-oppression education

Twentieth Century American literature

Under "Conferences and Presentations" Bartlow listed:

Co-Presenter. Strategies to Disrupt and Dismantle Racism and White Supremacy. National Women's Studies Association.  Oakland, CA.  November 11-16, 2012.

Co-Presenter. Cultural Divestment, Community Investment, and Self-Preservation. Activism and the Academy Conference. Barnard Center for Research on Women. New York, NY. September 24-25, 2011.

Collaboration as Play in the Ecofeminist Classroom. Creativity, Play and the Imagination Conference, Teachers' College at Columbia University, New York, NY.  May 26-28, 2011.

Co-Facilitator. Anti-Racism/Anti-White Supremacy Workshop. National Women’s Studies Association Conferences, 2010 and 2011.

"Vulnerability As Armor: Womanist Writing on Healing Social Trauma." Not Just Agents of History, But Agents of Futures: New Womanist Scholarship & Art Showcase. National Women’s Studies Association. Atlanta, GA.  November 12-15, 2009.

Etc.

She also signed the change.org petition asking President Obama to remove Assata Shaku from the FBI’s "Most Wanted Terrorist List." Having failed at that, she used her position to celebrate the cop-killer fugitive with a mural at Marquette. The mural went up in March, but no one noticed until this weekend. (She was fired Monday.)

Anyone really surprised?

There is plenty of evidence she actually fit in well at Marquette. Under her leadership, Marquette was set to host a Femsex Workshop that would have featured such activities as:

aunt Coloring: Color an anatomical picture from The aunt Coloring Book.

Erotica: Create an anonymous piece of erotica exploring fantasy and desire.

Even though Marquette withdrew its sponsorship of Femsex, Bartlow remained in place, apparently doubling down. While Bartlow flourished, Lovell’s administration earlier this year to fire one of its few conservative professors John McAdams.  But that also seems to fit in well with the intellectual climate on campus – or at least in some parts of the campus, reflected in the movement to defend Bartlow in the wake of her firing:

A student government leader who coordinates a Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice Committee said Wednesday that students and others within the Milwaukee community were mobilizing to protest the university's "actions against its Gender and Sexuality Resource Center" because they view the actions as "taking a step back on its initiatives surrounding inclusion."

"This center, and its staff, have been responsible and successful in creating a campus environment of inclusivity, respect, and acceptance," said the leader, Joshua-Paul Miles. "I and many others will ensure that the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center continues to create spaces of acceptance and love in the true Jesuit and Catholic mission. These actions do not reflect Marquette's Jesuit and Catholic identity. These are not our values."

At the New Marquette, evidently, the celebration of a woman who murdered a New Jersey State Trooper "execution style" is consistent with having spaces "acceptance and love."

Susannah Bartlow must be proud.

feedback