collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories--Are you a Buff or are they Bunk?  (Read 32140 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Conspiracy Theories--Are you a Buff or are they Bunk?
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »
I would like to point out that there is a difference between a conspiracy theory and a rumor -- and a lot of these are just rumors.

Sadly in 2019, this is a distinction without a difference.

There used to be an art to the creation of a conspiracy theory and an attempt to flesh it out. But now it's just a matter of "many people are saying........." and new "theories" are born every minute. Like suckers.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2019, 09:09:58 AM »
Who knew that aliens/UFOs are partisan?

"STORM AREA 51"
Is The U.S. Government Hiding Something About UFOs?
Jul 17, 2019
https://www.statista.com/chart/18712/share-of-the-us-public-believing-the-government-has-ufo-information/

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2019, 10:21:23 AM »
Interesting that the total percentage of respondents that answered "don't know" was higher than any individual percentage. Is that even possible?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2019, 08:06:44 PM »
This conversation inspired me to watch the movie Capricorn One.

O.J. Simpson as an astronaut!
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2019, 08:07:02 PM »
Interesting that the total percentage of respondents that answered "don't know" was higher than any individual percentage. Is that even possible?

Of course.  it’s the only correct answer.  “Don’t know” should have bordered on 100%.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2019, 08:20:05 PM »
In the old days there were lots of  quality conspiracies. Today people are not intellectually skilled enough to pull them off as much.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2019, 08:20:39 PM »
A fellow Marquette alum -- and classmate to many of us -- on the question of whether intelligent life exists in the universe (and why it hasn't contacted us).

A fellow Marquette alum (and classmate of many of us) on the question of whether intelligent life exists in the universe.

Yep.  Thanks very much for this.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2019, 09:54:13 PM »
A fellow Marquette alum -- and classmate to many of us -- on the question of whether intelligent life exists in the universe (and why it hasn't contacted us).

A fellow Marquette alum (and classmate of many of us) on the question of whether intelligent life exists in the universe.

Excellent
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2019, 07:17:45 AM »
Of course.  it’s the only correct answer.  “Don’t know” should have bordered on 100%.

No, what I mean is that 19% of the total respondents said "Don't know." However when broken down by demographic, Democrats & Republicans said "Don't know" at a rate of 15% each while Independents said "Don't know" at a rate of 18%. How do you get to a total of 19% when no individual group was over 19%. Mathematically I don't think that's possible.

In addition, "Don't know" is also the smallest percentage in each group. It might be the correct answer, but none of the demographic groups nor the country as a whole (according to this seemingly faulty survey) is willing to admit what they don't know.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2019, 07:54:51 AM »
Who knew that aliens/UFOs are partisan?

"STORM AREA 51"
Is The U.S. Government Hiding Something About UFOs?
Jul 17, 2019
https://www.statista.com/chart/18712/share-of-the-us-public-believing-the-government-has-ufo-information/

Sept. 20 is not going to end well.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2019, 09:16:26 AM »
I tend not to believe conspiracies because people in general can't keep their mouth shut. 

The one that is missing from the list that I hear all the time from various people is that we have discovered the cure for cancer but the pharmaceutical companies are keeping it from the public and are killing the doctors who try to make it public.  It is a very popular conspiracy theory.  In fact I am pretty sure Big Pharma threatened houwarrior to keep it off his list. 

You'd have to be Snidley Whiplash twirling your moustache evil to keep a cure for cancer from getting out.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »
A whole lot of these aren't conspiracy theories, including most of the ones mentioned in the last 3 pages.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2019, 11:38:45 AM »
The U.S. government deliberately infected African Americans with AIDS.

I saw that pasted on a wall in Europe in 1984.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2019, 11:55:13 AM »

This was excellent. Thanks for posting it.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2019, 02:32:41 PM »
Tiger is currently serving a two-month suspension from the PGA Tour.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2019, 03:02:16 PM »
Jake Arrieta didn't juice.

No Cub has ever juiced.  Or corked a bat.

Soccer is a sport.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2019, 03:04:39 PM »
A whole lot of these aren't conspiracy theories, including most of the ones mentioned in the last 3 pages.

LOL....yes, please point out which ones are alarming to you that you feel don't fit the definition.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2019, 03:07:47 PM »
Yep.  Thanks very much for this.

Excellent

This was excellent. Thanks for posting it.

Peter was (and is) a great guy and very talented.  I'd imagine several on this board know him.  A couple years ago he made this spoken word piece into a book, which is available on his website.  I don't own the book (but do own a number of his CDs and have seen him in concert).  This is not a paid endorsement, but I do endorse him.  Enthusiastically. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2019, 03:19:46 PM »
LOL....yes, please point out which ones are alarming to you that you feel don't fit the definition.

I don’t know... maybe anything that doesn’t involve two or more parties conspiring with one another.  Or, for those who don’t like to define a word using a root of the word, a conspiracy requires two or more parties (generally more, but two is enough) acting methodically and in concert with one another with the primary purpose to deceive or withhold truth in manner benefiting at least one of the actors but that is also detrimental to, or against the best interests of, a significant population.

A person sleeping with another person’s wife isn’t a conspiracy.  Claiming the holocaust didn’t happen isn’t a conspiracy (though the holocaust itself was).  Someone paying the Hausers to go somewhere other than UW isn’t a conspiracy. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2019, 02:30:47 AM »

Exactly what I (and Benny) said.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2019, 05:02:34 AM »

classic-it is ok not to know what you believe?  if you believe in something, it doesn't necessarily mean it's true or not.  people, at least those in my sphere, are allowed to believe in what they want to believe.  it doesn't make them true, false, fact or not factual

then there are those who blanket their beliefs over a group of people; either they are very persuasive or they are speaking to sheep. the people i hang with have the ability to make their own choices/form their own beliefs.   

who do you get your marching orders from??  those with "only the correct answer" of course...scarey

if you want to go on facts, that's a whole different subject, but i have a funny feeling your facts are different from mine
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2019, 07:11:22 AM »
The beer summit.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2019, 03:18:57 PM »
In the old days there were lots of  quality conspiracies. Today people are not intellectually skilled enough to pull them off as much.

:o

Maybe there is just too much easily accessible information and ways for people to speak out to keep stuff properly suppressed enough for a conspiracy to live

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2019, 08:51:31 AM »
So I have been thinking about the whole "NBA suspending MJ for gambling" conspiracy.  I can't figure out the NBA's motivations for taking that course of action.

If MJ had actually been gambling against NBA rules, why not make an example out of him? (Like the NFL did with Hornung and Karras back in the day.)  If you aren't going to do that, then you might as well ignore it and let your top player continue playing.  Quietly suspending him means you aren't public with your punishment AND you don't have your A-player.  That seems like the worse option possible. 

Am I missing something?  Maybe it was a negotiated suspension? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2019, 10:19:39 AM »
So I have been thinking about the whole "NBA suspending MJ for gambling" conspiracy.  I can't figure out the NBA's motivations for taking that course of action.

If MJ had actually been gambling against NBA rules, why not make an example out of him? (Like the NFL did with Hornung and Karras back in the day.)  If you aren't going to do that, then you might as well ignore it and let your top player continue playing.  Quietly suspending him means you aren't public with your punishment AND you don't have your A-player.  That seems like the worse option possible. 

Am I missing something?  Maybe it was a negotiated suspension?

You're not missing anything. Like 99.9% of conspiracy theories, this one is ridiculous.

feedback