Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: rivers to indianaindiana  (Read 5352 times)

TVDirector

• All American
rivers to indianaindiana
« on: May 27, 2008, 04:53:11 PM »
how about that? :o

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP)—Georgetown guard Jeremiah Rivers, the son of Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers, will transfer to Indiana.

Doc Rivers confirmed his son’s decision Tuesday. Jeremiah will have to sit out this coming season, but then will have two years of eligibility remaining.

The 6-foot-4 point guard played in all 34 games for Georgetown last season and averaged 2.5 points, 2.4 rebounds and one assist. He told The Indianapolis Star that the Hoyas’ offense didn’t showcase his talents.

Rivers said he chose Indiana over Georgia Tech and Central Florida.

It’s been busy at Indiana since Tom Crean replaced Kelvin Sampson as coach. Last Thursday, Crean dismissed forward Brandon McGee from the team, leaving the Hoosiers with only three returning players for next season. McGee was kicked off the team because of academic and team violations.

McGee’s dismissal came days after Crean signed 7-foot, 255-pound center Tijan Jobe from Olney Central junior college in Illinois. Jobe will be able to play for the Hoosiers this year.

Others players Crean has signed are forward Tom Pritchard and guards Verdell Jones III, Matt Roth, Devan Dumes and Nick Williams.

The only returning players remaining on the IU roster are guard Jordan Crawford, forward Kyle Taber and walk-on guard Brett Finkelmeier.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: rivers to indianaindiana
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:18:34 PM »
Let's recap his decisions:

Subpar PG turns down dad's alma mater...

Leaves one of the elite basketball powerhouses (and prestigious universities)...

Sits out a year...

And enrolls in a program that is going to get beat up and with no guarantee (that we know of) of starting time.

Smart move, Junior.   ::)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 05:26:31 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »

Leaves one of the elite basketball powerhouses (and prestigious universities)...

Loses a year of eligibility by transferring...

And enrolls in a program that is going to get beat up and with no guarantee (that we know of) of starting time.

How does he lose a year of eligibility...he still will play 4 years of high DI basketball, he just has to sit out a year.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:27:05 PM »

Corrected error due to cobwebs.

Thanks!  ;)
SS Marquette

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:37:01 PM »

Sits out a year...

No kidding...

Rivers thought Buzz was a great hire...just not good enough for his son.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 05:41:37 PM »

No kidding...

Rivers thought Buzz was a great hire...just not good enough for his son.
To be fair to Doc, well, first of all, it isn't his decision, it's his son's.  But more importantly, I thought I had read that there is a rule preventing players from transferring from one Big East school to another.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:22:32 AM by TJ »

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 06:01:31 PM »
To be fair to Doc, well, first of all, it isn't not his decision it's his son's.  But more importantly, I thought I had read that there is a rule preventing players from transferring from one Big East school to another.

True it is his son's choice, but MU is a decent program (and definitely better than the shambles IU is right now) and his father's alma mater, his dad was 'involved' in the coaching search, endorsed Buzz, but when it came down to it MU didn't even make it on the radar screen for consideration.  That just seems odd to me.

As for transferring within the conference, I don't know about that one.  We all know this is the case concerning a LOI, but in the case of a D1-to-D1 transfer you have to sit out a year anyway.  I thought after a year (even with the LOI) you can go wherever the hell you want.

True?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:03:37 PM by MUinCO »

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 06:02:22 PM »
were the words "Its" and "Indiana" mentioned next to each other at all?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »
True it is his son's choice, but MU is a decent program (and definitely better than the shambles IU is right now) and his father's alma mater, his dad was 'involved' in the coaching search, endorsed Buzz, but when it came down to it MU didn't even make it on the radar screen for consideration.  That just seems odd to me.

As for transferring within the conference, I don't know about that one.  We all know this is the case concerning a LOI, but in the case of a D1-to-D1 transfer you have to sit out a year anyway.  I thought after a year (even with the LOI) you can go wherever the hell you want.

True?
I'm not sure about the Big East not allowing players to transfer from one Big East school to another, but I know for sure that for all conferences if you transfer from one school to another school in the same conference you sit out a year and lose that year of eligibility, whereas if you transfer to a school of a different conference you just sit out the year but don't lose the year of eligibility.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »
I'm not sure about the Big East not allowing players to transfer from one Big East school to another, but I know for sure that for all conferences if you transfer from one school to another school in the same conference you sit out a year and lose that year of eligibility, whereas if you transfer to a school of a different conference you just sit out the year but don't lose the year of eligibility.

If true in the BE, that would explain it.  Sorry Doc.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 06:26:27 PM »
Is TC setting this up for River's younger brother, Austin to go to IU?  He will be a five star point guard in three years.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 06:43:53 PM »

That's not exactly true.  Each conference is allowed to set it's own rules on transfers within the conference, and you don't necessarily lose the eligibility.  But there are other penalties.  In the Pac 10, you can transfer, but you are not allowed to be on scholarship during the year you sit out.  In the Big Ten, you can transfer within the conference, but you can't be a scholarship player at your new school.  In the ACC, if you play for another ACC school you lose a year of eligibility, if you sign an LOI to a school but don't play you lose two years.

The Big East goes a step farther and simply does not allow you to transfer from one Big East school to another(for football and basketball only).

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 06:49:56 PM »

Sits out a year...

How about Doc Rivers thinks enough of Tom Crean that he is extremely pleased he chose IU. You don't think this is great for TC, having a successful NBA coachs kid at his program? You guys need to move on. Crean is going to get it done, no doubt about it. Doc did his homework, and  he believes in TC, that is a great endorsement for Crean.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 07:08:09 PM »
Can't wait to see Doc next year or the next two after that sitting on the sidelines behind Judas during a game wearing a crimson-colored sweater. Keep a bucket nearby.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 07:19:47 PM »
I think MU could not have given him a scholarship. Situation similar to the guard that transferred from Penn St. to UW a few years back. He sat out the year and paid his own way.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 07:29:22 PM »

Doc did not want his son to transfer and made that very clear.  He said his son is now old enough to make his own choices and preventing him from transfering would only strain his relationship with his son.

He cannot transfer to another BE school.

Given these circumstances, I cannot see how this is viewed as a "slap" to MU?

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 08:05:34 PM »
How about Doc Rivers thinks enough of Tom Crean that he is extremely pleased he chose IU. You don't think this is great for TC, having a successful NBA coachs kid at his program? You guys need to move on. Crean is going to get it done, no doubt about it. Doc did his homework, and  he believes in TC, that is a great endorsement for Crean.

Haven't heard him say that...yet.

But what we have heard was that Rivers said he was "disappointed" in his son's decision to leave Georgetown.
SS Marquette

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 08:42:29 PM »
It's true. Big East football and basketball players are not allowed to transfer within the conference. Therefore, Rivers to Marquette never was an option.

Big East Conference
In the sports of football and men’s
and women’s basketball, studentathletes
are not permitted to
transfer from one Big East
institution to another Big East
institution and participate in
athletics.
In all other sports, student-athletes
may transfer from one Big East
institution to a second Big East
institution and participate in
athletics, provided that prior to
competing for the second institution
the student-athlete serves one
academic year in residence at the
second institution. During the year
in residency, the student-athlete will
not lose a year of eligibility and shall
be eligible to practice and receive
athletically related financial aid.

http://www.msu.edu/~msuncaa/Comp%20Newsletter%20Vol%202%20Issue%205.pdf

FYI ... With Rivers now officially gone, that means five of the first seven players JT III recruited to Georgetown have left.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 08:44:58 PM »

Sits out a year...

Again...remember...this is Doc - I'm a terrible, terrible coach - Rivers' son. Nothing surprises me.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 08:48:57 PM »
Seems to me Jeremiah may have always wanted to play for the departed, but didn't want the pressure of doing so at his father's alma mater.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUPig

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 11:24:08 PM »
Is there anyone who really wanted him at MU?  I think we can do much better.  Good luck at IU.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 11:44:23 PM »
were the words "Its" and "Indiana" mentioned next to each other at all?

Yup.

Jeremiah Rivers: "But Daddy, I just love Tom Crean."

Doc Rivers: "Then, son, Indiana it is."
SS Marquette

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 07:53:02 AM »
Austin is the Rivers everyone wants. He will be a five star recruit and hopefully BOT Dad Doc will steer Austin our way. This kid will be very highly recruited. Since Doc loved Buzz I think we might have  shot. Too bad we have to wait three years.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 08:58:45 AM »
Good luck to Rivers at IU and good luck to coach Crean.

The rest of you need to get over it. Seriously.

::)

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »
Eh it's all good.  I mean you know....It's Indiana...It's Indiana.  GL to Rivers.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 09:17:26 AM »
Even if he could have transfered to MU it wouldn't be a slap in our face.  I think it's disgusting how much control you all think doc should have over his son.  ("YOU WILL GO WHERE I WENT!") real good parenting skills people.

Especially since half of you were pissed that Maymon's dad was takign an active role in his recruiting.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 12:41:16 PM »
Nothing to get over; I think some of you are missing the point...I don't think most here felt his daddy had all the say and should have forced him to go to MU.  Just thought it was odd (maybe a slap) that MU wasn't even on the table for consideration given it was his father's alma and he had a part in hiring the coach there.

But that was all based on a false assumption (on my part) that he COULD transfer to MU in the first place which we all now know he can't.  Fine, settled.

I think the premise of this thread though is that he could have done better than IU and maybe he's a little nuts to be leaving a great school like GT.  The more I think about it IU may be a great option for him in the end…I think a bit of a risky choice, but nothing wrong with that. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 01:37:55 PM »
The dude's not good enough to get any substantial PT at either Georgetown or MU.  IndianaIndiana is the biggest "name" school where he will get to play a lot.  Even at Georgia Tech, he woulda only got his minutes after Shumpert went pro after 1 year.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 02:09:38 PM »
I think some of you guys are missing the point.

He's transferring schools (which does include the basketball team).

None of us know why he is transferring, as it is a personal decision.

As far as being bitter about it, or making a snide remark about Jeremiah... please stop. Doc was great for MU, but it doesn't mean his kids should go here. Doc's father didn't go to MU... yet somehow Doc found MU. It's not a prerequisite that a son go to his father's alma mater.

We've never heard anything bad about Jeremiah and he decided Georgetown wasn't the right place for him.

Nothing wrong with that.

Best of luck to him.

Best of luck to TC.

Easy as that.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 09:57:26 PM »
good luck to river's son.  Thank goodness for Crean or we would have wasted another schoolie
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

feedback