'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why is Marshall not at the top of MU's list?  (Read 8483 times)

mechaghidorah

• Starter
Why is Marshall not at the top of MU's list?
« on: March 26, 2014, 12:41:41 PM »
For anyone who follows WSU closely, what is the downside to Gregg Marshall?  WSU seems to do nothing but improve every year, and going by the eye test, look to be incredibly well coached.

klyrish

• All American
Re: Why is Marshall not at the top of MU's list?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
Allegedly, he's a huge douche and not a great recruiter.

This is just what I've gathered over the last couple of days. I'm my own source on it.

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »
I posted this in another thread:

I've heard he's a douche, I know the Creighton staff does not think too highly of him and would not do a home and home with him.  Can't argue with his on the court success though, Wichita was crap when he came and look at what he did.  Same with Winthrop.  He does like JUCOs alot though.  Maybe Marquette got some information about him from Creighton along with his use of JUCOs and thats why they don't think highly of him??

If I were the Marquette admin, I would definitely consider him.  He's a winner.  He's rebuilt programs everwhere he has gone.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:46:14 PM »

I've heard he's a douche, I know the Creighton staff does not think too highly of him and would not do a home and home with him.  Can't argue with his on the court success though, Wichita was crap when he came and look at what he did.  Same with Winthrop.  He does like JUCOs alot though.  Maybe Marquette got some information about him from Creighton along with his use of JUCOs and thats why they don't think highly of him??

If I were the Marquette admin, I would definitely consider him.  He's a winner.  He's rebuilt programs everwhere he has gone.
Our program doesn't need to be "rebuilt."  We've had one down year in the last decade and even this year we were .500 in conference.  Let him go rebuild DePaul if that's his specialty.

cj111

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 12:47:23 PM »
I would bet that he's on the short list, and personally I would be fine with him, though I would prefer Howland. Smart is significantly younger, as well, and that may be a factor.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »
Our program doesn't need to be "rebuilt."  We've had one down year in the last decade and even this year we were .500 in conference.  Let him go rebuild DePaul if that's his specialty.
+1. We don't need a program re-built. We need to go to Final Fours.

EDIT: Yes, he has gone to one Final Four, not 3...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 12:48:38 PM »
Our program doesn't need to be "rebuilt."  We've had one down year in the last decade and even this year we were .500 in conference.  Let him go rebuild DePaul if that's his specialty.

Really we've had 2 in 10 years... I mean maybe NIT good by you but I'd call it a down year. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:49:16 PM »
For anyone who follows WSU closely, what is the downside to Gregg Marshall?  WSU seems to do nothing but improve every year, and going by the eye test, look to be incredibly well coached.

Not sure if you've been paying attention, but Shaka Smart is already a done deal. #duh

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »
Really we've had 2 in 10 years... I mean maybe NIT good by you but I'd call it a down year. 

Haha, didn't mean to say that Marquette needs to be "rebuilt."  Just saying that he has done it before.  At Marquette, it would be easier for him to "reload."  How's that?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 12:50:30 PM »
For what it is worth, he was my top choice. I like he is edgy and that he is a winner. Not sure if he is everyone's kind of guy, but I dig his style.

To follow up on this, I like the other candidates either as much or even more than Marshall. That is reason behind my impact hire thread. My guy looked to be down the list but the list is so impressive that it did not matter to me.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 12:51:33 PM »
Fair enough.  2005 didn't finish well.  I would say that if Diener didn't get hurt that team was going to the NCAA tournament, but in the end they did not.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 12:52:11 PM »

This is just what I've gathered over the last couple of days. I'm my own source on it.

Almost every head coach I have ever worked with, sans Mike Scioscia, can be described as douchey. 

I think he is a great coach....everywhere he has been.  What I don't know is if there are any skeletons in the closet. 

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »

I never knew there were personality issues with him.  Thanks for the info!

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »
Almost every head coach I have ever worked with, sans Mike Scioscia, can be described as douchey. 

I think he is a great coach....everywhere he has been.  What I don't know is if there are any skeletons in the closet. 

Huge Angels fan as well, Scioscia is awesome but you think he's in the hot seat?

TJ

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »
Haha, didn't mean to say that Marquette needs to be "rebuilt."  Just saying that he has done it before.  At Marquette, it would be easier for him to "reload."  How's that?
Fine with me.

How do you think Creighton is going to cope with the big graduation this year?  I think that you guys will compete just fine, but wondering from your perspective - do you think they'll have a down year or two while reloading?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »
I dig his style.

The Tanned Tommy Euro-Trash Glasses Look?

Death on call

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »
Fine with me.

How do you think Creighton is going to cope with the big graduation this year?  I think that you guys will compete just fine, but wondering from your perspective - do you think they'll have a down year or two while reloading?

I don't think we will be as bad as most people think.  Probably somewhere in the 6-8 range of the Big East.  .500 overall record.  Ceiling next year is probably the NIT.  If Coach McDermott somehow gets us to the NCAA next year, he will be a god.  That being said, one of our recruits is top 150 (Gilmore) and the other is top 100 (Harrell).  We also have a couple of redshirts this year (Hegner, Milliken) who I think will contribute next year.  We also have atleast one more scholie next year and we are recruiting Cunningham (top 100 recruit) and a PF named Jackson Davis who is blowing up right now and getting alot of major offers.  If we get one of them, I think we will even be better next year.  The 2015 class is key to the future though, we are recruiting alot of top 100 players for that class.  If we can get a few of them, we will be fine.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »
I think Marquette's basketball program has reached the level where it no longer has to look to the "next up-and-coming" coach to lead our team.  When we hired Tom Crean, he was a Michigan State assistant.  When we hired Buzz, he was our assistant.  Heck, when we hired Mike Deane, he came from Siena.  

Marquette basketball has clearly been established.  It is one of the top basketball programs in the country.  31 NCAA Tournament appearances.  16 Sweet 16s.  7 Elite 8's.  3 Final Four's.  2 National Championship appearances, with one victory.  It also was not led by "one guy" like a Bobby Knight, a John Wooden, a Mike Kryzyzewski.  Our program has been led by several outstanding coaches.  McGuire.  Raymond.  Majerus.  Crean.  Williams.

Whomever is hired is walking into a premier program - hands down.  However, the school can now attract a proven winner - something I don't recall the program has ever been able to do before.

Gopher+RamFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
No doubt on his coaching abilities. Shaka nixed a proposed H+H with WSU because of Marshall and a shady recruiting deal, with a recruit who was about to sign a NLI with VCU.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 01:04:25 PM »
I don't think we will be as bad as most people think.  Probably somewhere in the 6-8 range of the Big East.  .500 overall record.  Ceiling next year is probably the NIT.  If Coach McDermott somehow gets us to the NCAA next year, he will be a god.  That being said, one of our recruits is top 150 (Gilmore) and the other is top 100 (Harrell).  We also have a couple of redshirts this year (Hegner, Milliken) who I think will contribute next year.  We also have atleast one more scholie next year and we are recruiting Cunningham (top 100 recruit) and a PF named Jackson Davis who is blowing up right now and getting alot of major offers.  If we get one of them, I think we will even be better next year.  The 2015 class is key to the future though, we are recruiting alot of top 100 players for that class.  If we can get a few of them, we will be fine.

Good to hear.  I think Creighton's track record proves that they'll be able to compete in the Big East just as well as the east coast schools.  Personally I thought Creighton was more of a no-brainer to invite than Butler who was in the Horizon league 2 years ago, but from what I gathered the bigger question mark for many was the Jays.  Only time will tell...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 01:15:05 PM »
I think Marquette's basketball program has reached the level where it no longer has to look to the "next up-and-coming" coach to lead our team.  When we hired Tom Crean, he was a Michigan State assistant.  When we hired Buzz, he was our assistant.  Heck, when we hired Mike Deane, he came from Siena.  

Marquette basketball has clearly been established.  It is one of the top basketball programs in the country.  31 NCAA Tournament appearances.  16 Sweet 16s.  7 Elite 8's.  3 Final Four's.  2 National Championship appearances, with one victory.  It also was not led by "one guy" like a Bobby Knight, a John Wooden, a Mike Kryzyzewski.  Our program has been led by several outstanding coaches.  McGuire.  Raymond.  Majerus.  Crean.  Williams.

Whomever is hired is walking into a premier program - hands down.  However, the school can now attract a proven winner - something I don't recall the program has ever been able to do before.

Majerus was not a good coach at MU yes a good coach overall but did he contribute to any of those NCAA appearances you were bragging about? No
Maigh Eo for Sam

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 01:23:39 PM »
Majerus was not a good coach at MU yes a good coach overall but did he contribute to any of those NCAA appearances you were bragging about? No

As an assistant coach, which is still a coach.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »
As an assistant coach, which is still a coach.

Then where's the mention of other assistant coaches?
Maigh Eo for Sam

brandx

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »

Well, at least I have an outside source now.

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »
Then where's the mention of other assistant coaches?

You only get a shout out if you were an assistant when they won it all (and perhaps later became coach and then acted eternally grateful for the rest of your life for having had the opportunity to be part of the program, culminating in your always considering Milwaukee/MU home and having your funeral mass there). 

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 01:45:42 PM »
I have no idea whether he's a douche or not, but I remember two years ago watching him in the tourney. After he won each game, he couldn't even be bothered to put down his pepsi cup when shaking hands with the opposing coach. Bugged the crap out of me.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

cj111

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 01:49:35 PM »
I have no idea whether he's a douche or not, but I remember two years ago watching him in the tourney. After he won each game, he couldn't even be bothered to put down his pepsi cup when shaking hands with the opposing coach. Bugged the crap out of me.

didn't want to spill his chicklets

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 01:50:47 PM »
Way too many people on this board with nothing to talk about.  I know, I'm part of the problem too.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 02:19:53 PM »
Huge Angels fan as well, Scioscia is awesome but you think he's in the hot seat?

He probably is, but I don't think it is his doing.  They needed pitching, they got hitters on the downside of their careers and that is all Arte's doing.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 03:58:04 PM »
You only get a shout out if you were an assistant when they won it all (and perhaps later became coach and then acted eternally grateful for the rest of your life for having had the opportunity to be part of the program, culminating in your always considering Milwaukee/MU home and having your funeral mass there). 

Sorry didn't know the parameters...
Maigh Eo for Sam