Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Malek Tweet  (Read 7404 times)

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
Malek Tweet
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:35:58 PM »
Hard to put much stock into a tweet but take it for what it's worth, Malek Harris tweeted this out earlier.

GREAT meeting with my future head coach....Buzz is one of.. if not the realest coaches out there. #WeAreMarquette

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Malek Tweet
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »
Hard to put much stock into a tweet but take it for what it's worth, Malek Harris tweeted this out earlier.

GREAT meeting with my future head coach....Buzz is one of.. if not the realest coaches out there. #WeAreMarquette

Good. I hope he did have a good meeting. There is something Buzz saw in him as a player and as a person.  Hopefully Malek is taking the right steps to realize what he needs to bring to the table as the former.  Wish him the best and hope to see him here next year with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:46:21 PM »
I stand by my guess that he'll be told he has to walk on freshman year and stay out of trouble to get a scholarship his sophomore year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:02:42 PM »
I stand by my guess that he'll be told he has to walk on freshman year and stay out of trouble to get a scholarship his sophomore year.

And then we will never come close to seeing him step foot on campus as a student of Marquette University.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 11:05:45 PM »
And then we will never come close to seeing him step foot on campus as a student of Marquette University.

The dude goes to Sandburg meaning he's probably from Orland Park which has a median income of >90,000 a year so unless he's in the roughly 3% that is below the poverty line I'm sure a guy who's suspended for his senior year of Bball, after being suspended for half of his junior year, would be happy to get a second chance and could manage a bit of tuition.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 11:07:14 PM »

walk on.. no way.. sheesh... someone will lose their scholarship first before harris has to walk on..

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
The dude goes to Sandburg meaning he's probably from Orland Park which has a median income of >90,000 a year so unless he's in the roughly 3% that is below the poverty line I'm sure a guy who's suspended for his senior year of Bball, after being suspended for half of his junior year, would be happy to get a second chance and could manage a bit of tuition.  

One too many knocks to the noggin, Boxer?  Sandburg's district line covers more than OP, and $30,000/yr+ (I'm guessing here) room and board is still a reach for the 47% of the population between the poverty line and median.

And why the heck would his family throw away that kind of money?  If he reopened his recruitment, he would have multiple offers not requiring him to front a year's tuition.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 11:35:14 PM »

Todd Mayo's brother makes $10 million a year. You think Todd's like, "Hey Buzz, I left you hanging for a semester, and for a half, and for a game, and for a summer. Let me make it up to you and pay $35,000 this year so I can open up an opportunity for someone else to come in and challenge me for minutes and I can prove to you I've learned my lesson despite these other high major D1 coaches not only offering me a full ride but also their booster and handlers offering me some cash/gifts. I don't need those things, my family's got money." Haha, nope. I'm thinking Malek isn't going to be like "Hey Buzz, I can either be held to a higher standard than all of my teammates, be labeled a walk on rather than a scholarship athlete, and pay $35,000 this year just for a CHANCE to prove myself worth of a scholarship next year rather than paying nothing and going to play in the Big 10 at Illinois." If you truly think an 18 year old athlete is going to be like "Buzz is giving me a second chance by making me pay $35,000 and being treated differently then everyone else on the team" instead of "F you Buzz I'll get my second chance by taking what you originally offered me and paying nothing somewhere else" then you don't know how major athletes' brains function.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 11:42:51 PM »
It will work out, it always does.

So what happens when Tokoto wants to transfer back :)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 11:55:58 PM »
1) yes been hit in the head a lot sadly it comes with my job.  

2) Didn't know that about sandburg. I didn't research that I was just channeling the info I remember my old roommate reading about Orland Park and knew Sandburg was for OP.  

3) you both make an assumption that he isn't attached to MU. Maybe his best buds are going, maybe he has his heart set here.  

4) wadesworld the  mayo situation is a God awful comparison Oj isn't Todd's dad or anything.  

5) finally you both never said it was weird with jake Thomas, gerrett Swanson or david singleton when they could've been on full bball scholarship somewhere else. (Yes I know that jake has a scholarship now but not every year)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:55:38 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 01:20:17 AM »

According to the Chicago Tribune 11.5% of the students are from low-income households, and .1% are homeless.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 06:17:13 AM »

You would make room for that kid! He can go! That guy can play...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 06:49:15 AM »
Hopefully, this means he is keeping out of trouble, is keeping his grades up, is doing the things set out for him by the MU coaching staff.  I am not worried about the schollie.   These things work themselves out. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 07:04:46 AM »

5) finally you both never said it was weird with jake Thomas, gerrett Swanson or Chris singleton when they could've been on full bball scholarship somewhere else. (Yes I know that jake has a scholarship now but not every year)

Chris Singleton?  There was a David Singleton who quickly left town, but I dont remember a Chris.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 07:12:23 AM »
Sandburg has increasingly gotten worse.  I attended in the early 2000's.  That being said he is not paying his own way for any length of time as a top 100-150 player, despite his suspension.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »
5) finally you both never said it was weird with jake Thomas, gerrett Swanson or Chris singleton when they could've been on full bball scholarship somewhere else. (Yes I know that jake has a scholarship now but not every year)

For Jake, et al, it was their only way to play high major D1 ball.  Malek Harris has options.

If anything, he might be asked to go to a prep school...or a Juco for a year.  But I would be incredibly surprised to see him here as a walk on.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 08:01:03 AM »
Chris Singleton?  There was a David Singleton who quickly left town, but I dont remember a Chris.

Chris was an outfielder for the White Sox. Now a broadcaster, IIRC.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
Chris was an outfielder for the White Sox. Now a broadcaster, IIRC.

He's also a forward for the Wizards, but he went to Florida State.

Also a former linebacker for the Patroits and the Dolphins, but he went to college at Arizona.

I once heard that some rich people live in Orland Park and that some people from Orland Park go to Sandburg high school.  I know nothing about this kid's familial or economic sitiuation, but he must be able to pay his way for a year.  I mean, if Chris Singleton did it, why can't he?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:56:08 AM by MarsupialMadness »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 10:53:21 AM »

Likely Bo will be first to snap him up.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 10:54:50 AM »

Thanks for the correction :)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 10:56:44 AM »

For Jake, et al, it was their only way to play high major D1 ball.  Malek Harris has options.

If anything, he might be asked to go to a prep school...or a Juco for a year.  But I would be incredibly surprised to see him here as a walk on.

Didn't consider the prep of Juco route but basically my point was that I don't see him coming here without a year of earning back some trust. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

leever

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
Did Malek Tweet play with Chris Singleton?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »

You must not be a fan of Marquette's baseball team.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 12:05:11 PM »
One too many knocks to the noggin, Boxer?  Sandburg's district line covers more than OP, and $30,000/yr+ (I'm guessing here) room and board is still a reach for the 47% of the population between the poverty line and median.

And why the heck would his family throw away that kind of money?  If he reopened his recruitment, he would have multiple offers not requiring him to front a year's tuition.

Yeah, crosses over into a parts of Orland Hills and Oak Forest (both are similar to much of Orland).  The Tribune Statistics on low income households is a more telling statistic anyway.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »
Whether Malek comes to Marquette or not I'm glad Buzz is still there for him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 12:46:30 PM »
Todd Mayo's brother makes $10 million a year. You think Todd's like, "Hey Buzz, I left you hanging for a semester, and for a half, and for a game, and for a summer. Let me make it up to you and pay $35,000 this year so I can open up an opportunity for someone else to come in and challenge me for minutes and I can prove to you I've learned my lesson despite these other high major D1 coaches not only offering me a full ride but also their booster and handlers offering me some cash/gifts. I don't need those things, my family's got money." Haha, nope.

You're probably right about Mayo not coming back as a walk-on to preserve a scholly for somebody else. I wouldn't if I were him. But ...

Even if O.J. made $10 billion or $10 trillion it wouldn't affect Todd's ability to get need-based aid unless O.J. was Todd's legal guardian.

Todd could give up his basketball scholarship, fill out the FAFSA using his parents' income and his own income, and still get aid. Maybe even quite a bit of aid, depending upon his parents' financial situation. Then, when the bill comes for however much he owes, he could just hand it to his brother for payment.

Not that any of that would happen, but it's theoretically possible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 01:11:27 PM »
I might be way off but I thought OJ was Todd's legal guardian and that was why Todd switched schools so often because he was moving each time OJ did.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 01:18:31 PM »
I might be way off but I thought OJ was Todd's legal guardian and that was why Todd switched schools so often because he was moving each time OJ did.

He only moved from West Virginia to Memphis when OJ was drafted.  He switched schools in the Memphis area and then went to prep school.  I'm pretty sure his mom is his guardian.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 02:17:36 PM »
I thought this thread title was about a recruit named Tweet

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 03:37:12 PM »
I thought this thread title was about a recruit named Tweet

Is Tweet a big?  willie wants to slurp him if so.

feedback