Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Offer  (Read 15071 times)

thebadge10

• Walk-On
New Offer
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:11:24 PM »
Buzz offered Philip Flory (2017) of Wisconsin Rapids today according to Ritchie Davis of Playground Warriors.  A 6'3 wing.

GGGG

• All American
Re: New Offer
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:19:35 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »
14 years old. Really curious to learn more about this kid, but if anything it indicates the recent strong in-state pipeline isn't going to dry up any time soon.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:04:51 PM »
So Coach Flore's best player was a kid named Flory?

What an unfortunate turn of events for Dad.  With the limited shooting stats like that, seemed as though maybe he could have been an MU great.

Terrell Schludnt's committment from Antigo laid the in roads into the Great Northwoods.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:01:53 PM by We R Final Four »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »
Buzz offered Philip Flory (2017) of Wisconsin Rapids today according to Ritchie Davis of Playground Warriors.  A 6'3 wing.
Only 6'-3', we need bigs!!!!]
Goal is National Championship

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 02:04:24 AM »
I'd love to hear a coach explain his process of officially offering a scholarship to a kid. Does it have to be the head coach who says it? Is there certain language they like to use or avoid? Stuff like that.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 04:23:53 AM »
Last time I saw Mike was a couple years ago playing pickup ball at the Port Edwards YMCA.  Word from the barber shop in Rapids was that his kid is an amazing player.
There is no more reliable source for northern Wisconsin basketball than the barber shop in Wisconsin Rapids.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 06:35:42 AM »
Traditional.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 07:09:18 AM »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 09:10:57 AM »
Keeping ties to "The Dukiet Era" going!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »
Hey c'mon man! Get the Guards and the bigs will flock. Besides, if he is only 14, he may grow 6" or more in next few years.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
Hopefully he can shoot like his dad :)

Isn't 14 years old too early to be offering kids? I'm not a big fan of that.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 10:03:49 AM »
Hey c'mon man! Get the Guards and the bigs will flock. Besides, if he is only 14, he may grow 6" or more in next few years.
willie, can you demand that buzz lands another big...that always seems to do the trick. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 11:34:16 AM »
willie, can you demand that buzz lands another big...that always seems to do the trick. 
I have told you guys that I have given up on bigs--Buzz cannot land a quality one anyhow. I am now subscribing to the tried and true formula expressed by many. Keep going for Guards, and eventually a quality big will drop from the sky. Especially 14 year old Guards should begin to be a priority. After all--that is 4 years out, so what diff does it really make.

Anybody know Buzz's private e-mail? I saw a 12 year old that was about 5'8" the other day that we could offer to.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
I have told you guys that I have given up on bigs--Buzz cannot land a quality one anyhow. I am now subscribing to the tried and true formula expressed by many. Keep going for Guards, and eventually a quality big will drop from the sky. Especially 14 year old Guards should begin to be a priority. After all--that is 4 years out, so what diff does it really make.

Anybody know Buzz's private e-mail? I saw a 12 year old that was about 5'8" the other day that we could offer to.

'We'?

Thank god that you aren't offering anyone.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »
6'3 at 14.........with deep range. Top kid in the state for 2017....

Think of it this way....how much must he have impressed Buzz to offer him at his age?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 01:12:47 PM »
6'3 at 14.........with deep range. Top kid in the state for 2017....

Think of it this way....how much must he have impressed Buzz to offer him at his age?
How the hell can anybody rate somebody as top for 2017--4 yrs. away, when he has not played a game of HS ball yet?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »
How the hell can anybody rate somebody as top for 2017--4 yrs. away, when he has not played a game of HS ball yet?

Does it matter?  It's just an offer to a kid with Marquette connections.  Plenty of time left to see how this plays out.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 01:44:28 PM »
You have a kid that has a chance to be good that is a fan of your school you offer him early. Hopefully he blows up like Dekker did.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 01:57:43 PM »

You do realize guys like Lebron and OJ Mayo were touted as future stars before HS, right? I know it must seem incredibly complex, but people do a little thing called "scouting". It's where they watch the player compete, sometimes against his own age group, sometimes against players even older than they are. And through this so-called "scouting", they are able to evaluate how good they think the player will be. Maybe they look at the 6'6" father and figure that a 14-year-old kid could still grow 4-8 more inches.

Just because you haven't made a career of this "scouting" and spent the inexhaustible amount of time someone like Buzz has watching players at various levels doesn't mean there aren't people (like that Buzz guy I just mentioned) that do exactly that. Something tells me they are WAY more qualified than you ever could be in your wildest basketball wet dreams to evaluate whether a kid is worth offering before they hit high school.

Or maybe it's impossible to ever know if someone will be good until their sophomore year of college and all this recruiting is pointless because you never know. And if that's the case, maybe you should stop complaining about Buzz's alleged inability to recruit a highly rated big, since the rating system must not matter anyway if no one can evaluate kids effectively anyway.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 02:17:09 PM »

AAU.......you've heard of it right?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »

i'm with you willie...buzz sucks.  if his boss would just demand he land a big i bet it would happen tomorrow, but instead he's off chasing 14 year olds like some creep would.  clearly he has no plan for taking MU to levels it hasn't been at since the Al days,   and i'll get you buzz' private email so you can start telling him how to recruit because at the end of the day we can all agree that his productivity has been poor.  he should have MU at the blue blood level right now, and i'm sick of watching IU and UCLA advance deep into the tourney every year...

you have any investment advice while you're at it?  i would think you could teach warren a few things.  planning on fishing this afternoon/evening as well...what depth and lure choice should i go with?  i've been hooking my drives as well?  thanks bud. 

ResidentBrown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »
I see no reason for the teal.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »
AAU.......you've heard of it right?
At 14. Not buying it!

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 04:04:55 PM »
Per Mark Millers twitter, Flory just committed to MU
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire